Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Boycott Singapore - Van's unfair sentance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some very nice sentiments if you read behind the Christian influence. :)

MELBOURNE, Dec 7 AAP - In the order of service for his funeral, a photo of a young Nguyen Tuong Van stares from the page.
The photograph depicts Nguyen as a serious-looking young boy, wearing shorts, a T-shirt and sandals, with a white hat resting on his knee as he sits beside a suburban street.
On the opposite page are words he wrote two hours before his execution, at once chilling and tender, expressing his love and gratitude to all that knew him.
Another note from Nguyen, this one handwritten and reproduced in the book, also gives his family instructions on how he wanted a part of the service conducted.
The note was signed Caleb Van. Caleb is Nguyen's baptismal name.

The text from the reproduced handwritten note:

Also, could you please ask everyone (at one stage) to put their hands on their hearts to feel my love,appreciation and God's awesome love.
And instead of turning to one's left and right to shake hands, please ask each one to hug instead and introduce themselves so that they shall no longer be strangers.
This is all I ask Father. God bless you.
And I shall see you soon and welcome you with our Lord, Jesus Christ.
Yours,
Caleb Van.

The last page of the prison diary of Caleb NguyenTuong Van, written two hours prior to his death:

Dear Brothers and Sisters, to one and all whom have fought so hard for my life, to all who have prayed and those I have hurt, please forgive me for my sins and accept my sincere apologies.
It is now the eleventh hour. My work here is done now. Pray, may I not have failed you completely and by theGrace of God may you find strength and comfort in these words my heart now speaks to you my brothers andsisters.
As I lay here listening to the prayers being said for me I take measure of all that has taken place and what is about to be.
I am returning to the Lord now. He loves us all so much. He is in all of us. He's always been there. It is we who need to love Him.
I shall be looking down on you and shall be in all your hearts. I shall never cease to love you and can only promise I will never leave your side.
To know that I am there you need only place your hands (on) your heart and I'll be there.
I now thank each and everyone for all that has been achieved by the love you all possess. Amazing Grace because that is what you are.
I smile now as I prepare myself to return to the Lord.You all are now in my prayers. Please don't be sorry bu tinstead celebrate the life God has made possible through his love.
These shall be my last words now. But I will see you again. Be of great faith; of greater courage and firm heart.
It is now my time. May God continue to bless you. MayHis light shine upon you. May He grant you Peace and bring you everlasting ife. Amen.

See you my brothers and sisters.
I love you ... and forever will.
Fear not my brothers and sisters. Fear not.

it isn't hard to turn to an imaginary friend when noone else has any chance of helping you

^ hee hee, so true. I would too

Its part of the insanity of the human condition that people will believe what they have to.
Accept it, and things get a lot clearer.

The parts about god dont really hit home with me.

This is what strikes me as important :

And instead of turning to one's left and right to shake hands, please ask each one to hug instead and introduce themselves so that they shall no longer be strangers.

Fear not my brothers and sisters. Fear not.

Life is a game of reflective mirrors. You play along with it and dont fear it (including death), you will be rewarded during your life. This game is fully interactive and you only get out what you put in. In taking your life extra seriously, you miss the point and often dont enjoy life. We very often forget this.

Remember that there's a difference between an "imaginary friend" (as in, a conception that doesn't exist) and one you can't see.

And I think, easier even than turning to God in times of hardship, is discounting his existence.

Belief is a highly personal thing, and organised religion certainly has its failings: but regarding it in a communal sense instead of an organised sense, difficult as it is when one is more apparent than the other, is a concept, to me, more satisying.

As I've posted elsewhere here, I think faith is beautiful, and the power of the human mind even more so.

And since belief is such a personal thing, disbelief is also: the concept of God is individual regardless of whether one believes or disbelieves.

I look outside my window, and there I can see Eucalypts and Sweet gums, and beyond that the sky, and beyond that stars, of numbers unfathomable. It gives me comfort because nature elicits in me that feeling. And it elicits in me a feeling of humility, and a feeling of the highest regard, a feeling of love: I love the physicality of my country and I love the physicality of my world.

It is the same love I feel for my family and my close friends, similar maybe to the feelings of love people feel on MDMA. And with the latter, the fact that they have been induced catalytically makes them no less powerful, and obviously no less real.

So maybe the closest I can get to conceptualising God is the idea of love, like Coltrane said, "A Love Supreme", a love everlasting and a love that surpasses individuality. Can I see love? No, but I know it exists, has existed since we could identify it, and I can feel the grace of my God just by looking out the window.

Do I ascribe to God human personality, or even individuality, no.

But maybe when Van Nguyen says he puts his faith in God, he doesn't mean he's putting it into someone else's concept of an elderly man with a beard who lives up in the sky.

Maybe when he ascribes gender or individuality to God, he's articulating this concept in the only way that he can, by metaphor, and indeed one sense the only way possible.

Maybe he's putting his faith into the idea of a greater good, the idea that Martin Luther King described as the moral arc of the universe bending at the elbow of justice, and maybe he's putting his faith into the idea that individual perception of time and emotion is something as fragile and as malleable as humanity itself.

And perhaps disbelief stems from contradictory premise: that whose who regard God as an "imaginary friend" and hence don't believe in the existence of that concept, do so because this is the only concept that they have the inclination to know, conceive, or appropriate from other people's conceptions. Or perhaps not, perhaps they don't articulate on a concept metaphysical. Or perhaps something else entirely :p

But look:

In contrast to the implication that faith is a weakness and belief a last resort, I think faith requires immense strength, and maintaining it in the face of death even more so.

I respect Nguyen immensely for facing his death with this strength, and maintaining a noble attitude. I respect him more for not observing anger or ill-will towards those who have taken from him his most precious possession, his life. This, in my opinion, is the strength of faith, and the grace of his good nature.

I don't think anyone needs to look past the idea of God, or Nguyen's Catholicism to see how powerful these letters are, the last letters of a condemned man. And through the beauty of his faith and the beauty of his being, he has done something far more powerful than I could ever even hope to do, and that is to forgive those who killed him and even further, to beg their forgiveness.

I guess I go on too much, but I really thought these were powerful letters and I'm sure glad they were posted :p

But last lastly:

endless, I really agree with your analysis of those couple of sections. I really like your reflective mirrors metaphor, and I think it's true. I think we are rewarded by what we do, and that the basis of morality is giving to others and expecting NO reward, doing it for the sake of goodness.

Those whose only intent in spiritual belief is to get some sort of reward in the afterlife are as bad as those who keep others frightened, as those who would inflict harm on their fellow for personal gain or greed.

Whatever the mind might experience after death, whatever alteration of perception there is, perhaps none at all, should not determine what we do here, and now - because that's where we are.

And your metaphor reminds me of another, a Bill Hicks one, and it's a good way to finish:

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. It goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey – don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride ..." And we ... kill those people. Ha ha, "Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up. Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. Jesus murdered; Martin Luther King murdered; Malcolm X murdered; Gandhi murdered; John Lennon murdered; Reagan ... wounded. But it doesn't matter because: It's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love.

^^ Bill Hicks!

Bill Hicks is my hero. There is nobody alive that spoke more truth then this guy. If only he was alive now. He would have alot to say about the state of the world. I think a little bit of him rubs off on everyone.

Because you know if you play New Kids on the Block albums backwards they sound better. "Oh come on, Bill, they're the New Kids, don't pick on them, they're so good and they're so clean cut and they're such a good image for the children." Fuck that! When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children? I want my children to listen to people who fucking ROCKED! I don't care if they died in puddles of their own vomit! I want someone who plays from his fucking HEART!

Okay, I got one word to ask you, a one word question, ready?

"Uh-huh."

Dinosaurs.

You know the world is 12,000 years old and dinosaurs existed, they existed in that time, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the fucking Bible at some point.

"And lo Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus... with a splinter in his paw. And O the disciples did run a shriekin': 'What a big fucking lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw and the big lizard became his friend.

"And Jesus sent him to Scotland where he lived in a loch for O so many years inviting thousands of American tourists to bring their fat fucking families and their fat dollar bills.

"And oh Scotland did praise the Lord. Thank you Lord, thank you Lord. Thank you Lord."

=D

Its just a ride. Then you die.

But you never really 'die' because death is life. The moment we are born we start preparing for our death. One cannot exist without the other.

If you awaken from this illusion, and you understand that black implies white, self implies other, life implies death - or shall I say, death implies life - you can conceive yourself.

I see that as extreamly beautiful.

Last edited:
Yep, for sure, I think that's a very interesting concept, a hard one to grasp, but true and accurate. Because yeah, death is as natural as life itself and so shouldn't be feared: and as I said, those who respect humanity only out of fear and essentially reward, well, I guess they miss the point. But I'm not as good as I'd like to be in this respect, so I shouldn't comment. I think practice of love and respect, not only recognising the feelings but acting on them, is something very powerful but very difficult to achieve.

And that's why I'm enamoured by Nguyen's notes, because I know if I was to be put to death I'd be angry, too weak to maintain a true manifestation of my faith: which is to love not only your friend or your neighbour, but the ones who would put me to death.

And that is a very nice quote. Is that from Bill Hicks?

Oh and on another note: if I was anywhere near as good a person as I'd like to be, I wouldn't fucking hate Piers Akerman. I mean I really feel bitter towards this guy, and the fact that he is in a position to manipulate public opinion based on pretense:

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17492083-5001032,00.html

Is this journalism? Or an attempt, minus any subtlety, to smear Van Nguyen himself by association with his brothers crimes, and thereby (and I guess this is the point), the 'legal professionals' and 'Victorian Labor MPs' who supported or expressed support for him?

I'd like to believe that Ackerman really gives a shit about Glen Kohu, and his being compensated, but the three little pictures at the top of the article, outlining the true targets of the piece, influence my opinions otherwise.

But we didn't hear a peep from these self-anointed protectors of our civil rights when Victorian County Court judge Meryl Sexton suppressed the gory details of the court case involving Van's brother, Nguyen Khoa, in a bid to avoid jeopardising Van's plea for clemency in Singapore's courts.

We didn't hear a murmur from Van's lawyers, Julian McMahon and Lex Lasry QC, about the determination this judge made to prevent Australians and, more importantly, the Singaporean judiciary, from being able to make a fully informed decision about Nguyen Tuong Van and his relationship with his brother.

Any Australian who would let the actions of Nguyen's brother 'fully inform' their 'decision' (assumedly as to whether support his murder, or not) would be as narrow-minded, but slightly less despicable, than Ackerman himself.

Only The Australian saw fit to publish a major story on the suppression, with Melbourne's Sunday Herald Sun and the Hobart Mercury running follow-ups on his victim.

There is no evidence that the Fairfax press published a word, nor can anything be found on the ABC's website.

Readers of this account in The Daily Telegraph therefore join a privileged band.

So much for a free press, so much for self-censorship.

Ackerman apparently doesn't grasp the laughable irony of his statement, or does but assumes, probably rightly so, that his readers will be too ignorant to pick up on it: perhaps he might raise the issue of 'free press' with his editors, while they're dining with frontbench ministers and discussing (read: being told) what particular line the paper's commentary might assume over the next week or two.

And perhaps he actually believes what he writes, but more likely he does as he's told.

It's a fucking snide and thoughtless rant, but the kind that annoys me so thoroughly, because of the existence of Ackerman's 'priviledged few' whose opinions are dictated to them by what they read in yellow rags like the Telegraph.

There is no moral justification for murder, state-sanctioned or otherwise: Nguyen's relationship with his brother is irrelevant.

Those who would let, via Ackerman's petty torrent of shit, the actions of Van Nguyen's brother affect their opinion on the matter of state sponsored murder, are so obviously guilty of the same selective reasoning - "sympathy when it suits them" - that I'm (only a little) surprised even the Telegraph would publish such spurious and contradictory crap.

Judge Meryl Sexton's extension of sympathy in sentencing Khoa Nguyen is a decision that draws Ackerman's ire. But it's obvious he cares little about any "compensation" for Glen Kohu, and it's obvious his real concerns lie not with Kohu, nor his mother, but with promoting, by connection, negativity towards those supporters of Van Nguyen targetted at the top of his page.

Well, here's something just as obvious:

If Ackerman spent more time really empathising with people of lesser circumstance than he does hobknobbing in expensive restaurants shovelling food into his fat blustering mouth, his paper might be slightly more well regarded than that which I use to wipe my arse.

-T{H}R- said:
^^ I concur (a word I hate to use). Keystroke has certainly diminished himself in this thread alone.

I've diminished myself because a drug trafficker, samaurai sword wielding arsehole hacked almost to death another person and got caught for his drug crimes. then he sends his brother to get more drugs, but his brother dies (and accepted his punishment when he entered the country) in the process.

how the fuck am I meant to feel? am I meant to feel sorry for him for racking up thousands of dollars in lawyers fees to fight his brothers first, second, third court appearance, because Khoa thought it was necessary to repeatedly hack at a poor 17 year old boy with a huge sword AND get himself arrested for drug trafficking, therefore not enabling him to travel overseas to get more drugs?

It said the prosecution alleged that Khoa armed himself with a samurai sword and repeatedly slashed a 17-year-old Islander youth, leaving his victim confined to a wheelchair for a period and in need of plastic surgery.

My answer to that is: I'm not participating in this thread anymore. What's done is done, nothing can change it, my views on the subject are known. And this doesn't require a response.

-T{H}R- said:
My answer to that is: I'm not participating in this thread anymore. What's done is done, nothing can change it, my views on the subject are known. And this doesn't require a response.

exactly. you cant change anything now about this particular case. The ball is now in your court if you wish to make an actual contribution for opposing the death penalty in other countries (that means outside of bluelight).

The merits of this have been hashed and re-hashed ad nauseum. Its obvious that no-one is going to change their opinion: so the options left are deal with it; get over it; or do something about it besides bitching on a message board and claiming superiorty because you have such a "great empathy for your fellow human beings" (which is a clear definition of irony if you consider that he was trafficking a drug that ensnares lives and destroys families).

peace out.

man whose son died of heroin abuse aged 33 has urged MPs to consider legalising heroin to prevent more deaths among addicts.
Fulton Gillespie stressed he was not saying it was acceptable to take drugs but that he believed controlling the supply of heroin would take power away from drug dealers.

Mr Gillespie was one of three parents giving evidence to the Commons home affairs committee about the experience of their children.

We have to take control (of drugs) away from criminals and place it back where it belongs - with the people. At the moment criminals are calling the shots

Fulton Gillespie

His son Scott died after taking heroin which contained impurities.

Mr Gillespie told the committee on Tuesday that his son had died after he had spent five weeks in prison on remand for stealing to buy drugs.

During that time he had not been taking drugs and on release from prison, his body had been unable to cope with his normal dose, Mr Gillespie said.

If heroin had been legal, Mr Gillespie said, the death could have been avoided because his son would not have had to steal to buy drugs.

Moreover, legalisation would have meant that the heroin he took would have been controlled and therefore not impure.

'Regulate supply'

The committee is investigating the government's drugs policy.

The three parents all argued that the families of drug users were not given enough support through government policy and that too much stress was placed on the criminal justice system rather than rehabilitation.

Mr Gillespie, who said he favoured legalising all drugs, said: "We have to take control (of drugs) away from criminals and place it back where it belongs - with the people. At the moment criminals are calling the shots.

"I cannot see for the life of me how we can expect to deal (with this) if we are not in charge of the supply of the stuff ourselves.

"Regulate supply and make sure it is controlled because kids are going to use it anyway. I do not think there will be an upsurge in drug use. It is decimating our young people which it need not do."

He said it was wrong that drugs like alcohol and tobacco had potentially harmful effects, yet were legal.

Hope Humphreys, who said she too favoured legalising all drugs, said her son had spent two-and-a half-years in prison after police raided his student house and found 53 ecstasy tablets.

'Considered decision'

She said society had to accept that many young people smoked cannabis or took other drugs.

"They have made a considered decision and they know what they are doing and we let them buy contaminated drugs on the streets and that is when accidents happen," she said.

"A lot of parents are very ignorant. I know because I used to be. I think a lot of parents would rather turn a blind eye."

Tina Williams, one of the founders of Panic, an organisation set up by parents and heroin addicts in Stockton, north east England, told the MPs her son was a heroin addict but that when he tried to get help, there was a lack of support available.

She said she felt she was being blamed for his addiction.

"It is your worst nightmare", she said. "Everyone is affected. Time has stood still. If you have a child and that child is sick you try everything to pick that child up."

'Irrelevant'

Mrs Williams said there needed to be more choice for addicts and their families in terms of rehabilitation and support.

Hywel Sims, of ADFAM, a UK charity for the friends and families of drug users, said the law alone was not the answer to the problem of drug use.

"Whether the drug is illegal or not can be irrelevant," he said. "The law is just one part of a multi-faceted approach which has to include prevention and education."

Mr Sims said his organisation was not yet ready to take a position on whether all drugs should be legalised.

Labour MP Chris Mullin, who chairs the committee, said any move to legalise all drugs would still require age limits such as that in force for tobacco and this could lead to a black market in certain drugs.

He also questioned why no other country had chosen to legalise drugs like heroin.

Last edited:
up all night said:
As KB said there definitely are problems with lethal injection - it's just seen as a more humane death because it's not as gory. In all honesty, if I had to be executed, I'd be asking for a gun to the head.

make sure it's a .45 not a 9mm ;). myself? i have no idea. heroin od sounds ok, as long as it's pure.

endlesseulogy, this is no attack at you, but that father in the article you posted sounds like he is trying to blame someone else for his son's death rather than resign himself to the fact that his son was a junkie fuckhole

the fact that a drug can drive someone to that point of desparation is exactly the reason why it should stay illegal.
cigarettes don't drive people to knock off TVs and DVD players to fund their habits.
but hey, i'll just get labelled as narrow minded again, rinse and repeat

^ I actually agree [minus the way you presented your case].

I don't think drugs should be legalised... and I'm in two minds about decriminalization.

pete_gasparino said:
Yep, for sure, I think that's a very interesting concept, a hard one to grasp, but true and accurate. Because yeah, death is as natural as life itself and so shouldn't be feared: and as I said, those who respect humanity only out of fear and essentially reward, well, I guess they miss the point. But I'm not as good as I'd like to be in this respect, so I shouldn't comment. I think practice of love and respect, not only recognising the feelings but acting on them, is something very powerful but very difficult to achieve.

And that's why I'm enamoured by Nguyen's notes, because I know if I was to be put to death I'd be angry, too weak to maintain a true manifestation of my faith: which is to love not only your friend or your neighbour, but the ones who would put me to death.

And that is a very nice quote. Is that from Bill Hicks?

Oh and on another note: if I was anywhere near as good a person as I'd like to be, I wouldn't fucking hate Piers Akerman. I mean I really feel bitter towards this guy, and the fact that he is in a position to manipulate public opinion based on pretense:

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17492083-5001032,00.html

Is this journalism? Or an attempt, minus any subtlety, to smear Van Nguyen himself by association with his brothers crimes, and thereby (and I guess this is the point), the 'legal professionals' and 'Victorian Labor MPs' who supported or expressed support for him?

I'd like to believe that Ackerman really gives a shit about Glen Kohu, and his being compensated, but the three little pictures at the top of the article, outlining the true targets of the piece, influence my opinions otherwise.

Any Australian who would let the actions of Nguyen's brother 'fully inform' their 'decision' (assumedly as to whether support his murder, or not) would be as narrow-minded, but slightly less despicable, than Ackerman himself.

Ackerman apparently doesn't grasp the laughable irony of his statement, or does but assumes, probably rightly so, that his readers will be too ignorant to pick up on it: perhaps he might raise the issue of 'free press' with his editors, while they're dining with frontbench ministers and discussing (read: being told) what particular line the paper's commentary might assume over the next week or two.

And perhaps he actually believes what he writes, but more likely he does as he's told.

It's a fucking snide and thoughtless rant, but the kind that annoys me so thoroughly, because of the existence of Ackerman's 'priviledged few' whose opinions are dictated to them by what they read in yellow rags like the Telegraph.

There is no moral justification for murder, state-sanctioned or otherwise: Nguyen's relationship with his brother is irrelevant.

Those who would let, via Ackerman's petty torrent of shit, the actions of Van Nguyen's brother affect their opinion on the matter of state sponsored murder, are so obviously guilty of the same selective reasoning - "sympathy when it suits them" - that I'm (only a little) surprised even the Telegraph would publish such spurious and contradictory crap.

Judge Meryl Sexton's extension of sympathy in sentencing Khoa Nguyen is a decision that draws Ackerman's ire. But it's obvious he cares little about any "compensation" for Glen Kohu, and it's obvious his real concerns lie not with Kohu, nor his mother, but with promoting, by connection, negativity towards those supporters of Van Nguyen targetted at the top of his page.

Well, here's something just as obvious:

If Ackerman spent more time really empathising with people of lesser circumstance than he does hobknobbing in expensive restaurants shovelling food into his fat blustering mouth, his paper might be slightly more well regarded than that which I use to wipe my arse.

good post. maybe you should reiterate that and send the finished piece into the letter section. make sure you include something along the lines of "i bet you won't print this", they then will just to prove how unbiased they are 8)

preacha said:
endlesseulogy, this is no attack at you, but that father in the article you posted sounds like he is trying to blame someone else for his son's death rather than resign himself to the fact that his son was a junkie fuckhole

the fact that a drug can drive someone to that point of desparation is exactly the reason why it should stay illegal.
cigarettes don't drive people to knock off TVs and DVD players to fund their habits.
but hey, i'll just get labelled as narrow minded again, rinse and repeat

would you like a free colour with that? ;)

ban cigarettes tomorrow, see how many smokers are willing to knock off dvd players to pay for the increased black market cost rather than try to quit. remember, "junkie fuckholes" have said it's easier to quit smack than smoking.

lawmakers are responsible in part whilst they continue to fight an un-winnable, unjust war, where no amount of policing or education/propaganda has stopped people wanting to take drugs.

silvia saint said:
ban cigarettes tomorrow, see how many smokers are willing to knock off dvd players to pay for the increased black market cost rather than try to quit. remember, "junkie fuckholes" have said it's easier to quit smack than smoking.

No. if cigarettes were banned tomorrow, i'd welcome it. It would give me an easy excuse to quit, and make it easier to quit due to the lack of accessibilty cause the "chop shop" tobacco makes me ill.

^^hear hear
reason 1 i still smoke: easy to get a hold of, basically accepted by everyone around me

silvia saint said:
would you like a free colour with that? ;)

lawmakers are responsible in part whilst they continue to fight an un-winnable, unjust war, where no amount of policing or education/propaganda has stopped people wanting to take drugs.

silvia saint, i'd actually like to see a controlled experiment where we put chain smokers and junkies in a room, each of them holding a hammer. now behind one glass wall is their choice of poison. now if any of them break the glass, they get shot.

i'd like to see who would die first.
besides, i just like saying 'junkie fuckholes'

...we could also put preacha in the room with a computer behind the glass wall and see who dies first. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.