• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Concentrates ? bout BHO extraction tube construction.

MrsMeSeeks

Greenlighter
So I've made a few extractors of my own and I think I'm making this more difficult than need be. I struggle with getting a good seal, due to the point of entrance into the tube, lol. I've been using the ass and of torch lighters for that little piece for the butane tip. I recently saw someone using a pop bottle, screen, ect. How is the butane being released into the bottle without the use of the female part to a can of butane?

if the butane can nozzle is tapered then drilling a snug hole so that tip can squeeze in about a centimeter should be enough. Ideally the green is loosely packed so pressure doesn't build up and the path of least resistance for the butane is through the extractor and not back up through the nozzle hole.

Using a pop bottle seems kind of sketchy to me, I'd be worried about static discharge with polyethylene, AFAIK it's more susceptible to a strong negative charge than metals... definitely want to err on the side of caution when your extractor has the potential to blow up!

if the butane can nozzle is tapered then drilling a snug hole so that tip can squeeze in about a centimeter should be enough. Ideally the green is loosely packed so pressure doesn't build up and the path of least resistance for the butane is through the extractor and not back up through the nozzle hole.

Using a pop bottle seems kind of sketchy to me, I'd be worried about static discharge with polyethylene, AFAIK it's more susceptible to a strong negative charge than metals... definitely want to err on the side of caution when your extractor has the potential to blow up!
IKR! I thought that a bottle didnt seem like a good choice, either.
But wait, the green is loosely packed? 😳
I was told to "pack dat shit like crazy". Gee-osh, I think some people like to set other people up for failure, just to watch em' burn....sometimes literally.
Thank you for your input! It was happily received! ✌

Just to clarify by pack loosely I mean pack what fits in snugly but just don't compress it. The butane will expand into the chamber on its own and is a very effective solvent so the only thing that packing too tightly achieves is causing pressure to build up

Just to clarify by pack loosely I mean pack what fits in snugly but just don't compress it. The butane will expand into the chamber on its own and is a very effective solvent so the only thing that packing too tightly achieves is causing pressure to build up
Thanks!
I gotta another question...
I've been using random brands of butane and the results have been great. But i just used Coleman butane and my dabs are hellaciously unsmokable. Smells and tastes like butane. Its never done this before. I double boiler heated the excess butane off, i thought, but obviously not I'm guessing.

there can be all kinds of impurities in butane that you don't want in the final product and can't just be boiled off. I've only stuck with Colibri brand butane because of the high purity, it's not cheap but better than having god-knows-what left in the product.

I guess the cost of butane is the main reason I don't really do BHO wash anymore, it's a bit of a luxury unless you have a professional setup and source for a large supply of clean solvents

I would advise the enterprising hash oil extractor to look into using naptha/pentane/hexanes/heptane as an extraction solvent, instead of butane.
As for butane choice, the standard test for any extraction is usually spraying some solvent on a watchglass and watching it evaporate. Residue is no good.

Butane BP is -0.5C.
Pentane BP is 36C.
Hexane is 68C.
Heptane is 98C.
Petroleum ether (mixture of hydrocarbons) normally boils either 40-60C or 60-80C depending on grade.

Pros: You're working with a liquid at room temperature.
As the hydrocarbons get heavier, vapor formation is less and less of a concern.
Can recover the solvent almost completely by simple distillation = cost savings.
Presumably cheaper and easier to get petroleum ether in bulk than any other hydrocarbon solvent. Hexane is also pretty cheap.
All linear alkanes have similar solvent properties, going from butane to hexane will not change the profile of the extract much.
Higher operating temperatures are permissible = higher yielding extractions, conducted faster.
Higher contact times between solvent and plant material are possible (you can stir the solvent and weed in a pot for 20 min, not so with butane)
It's maybe a little less suspicious and easier to store a few tins of naptha or bottles of hexane rather than dozens of cans of butane.

Cons: Requires more than a warm afternoon to remove the solvent completely (either heat or vacuum or both)
Still flammable. Hexane in particular can build up static charge.
n-hexane is a chronic toxicant that you should limit exposure to.
Pentane and heptane are more expensive.
Still dangerous goods.
Some fuels may be dyed.
Finding a sufficiently pure solvent that boils at the desired range may require trial and error or use of the Solvent Database I linked earlier. Varsol is not the same as naptha.

try taking the rubber end off a glass Turkey baster and bam. Even has the little female hole for butane

(You can use plastic, however it shatters after few uses. Spiders almost instantly)

I would advise the enterprising hash oil extractor to look into using naptha/pentane/hexanes/heptane as an extraction solvent, instead of butane.
As for butane choice, the standard test for any extraction is usually spraying some solvent on a watchglass and watching it evaporate. Residue is no good.

Butane BP is -0.5C.
Pentane BP is 36C.
Hexane is 68C.
Heptane is 98C.
Petroleum ether (mixture of hydrocarbons) normally boils either 40-60C or 60-80C depending on grade.

Pros: You're working with a liquid at room temperature.
As the hydrocarbons get heavier, vapor formation is less and less of a concern.
Can recover the solvent almost completely by simple distillation = cost savings.
Presumably cheaper and easier to get petroleum ether in bulk than any other hydrocarbon solvent. Hexane is also pretty cheap.
All linear alkanes have similar solvent properties, going from butane to hexane will not change the profile of the extract much.
Higher operating temperatures are permissible = higher yielding extractions, conducted faster.
Higher contact times between solvent and plant material are possible (you can stir the solvent and weed in a pot for 20 min, not so with butane)
It's maybe a little less suspicious and easier to store a few tins of naptha or bottles of hexane rather than dozens of cans of butane.

Cons: Requires more than a warm afternoon to remove the solvent completely (either heat or vacuum or both)
Still flammable. Hexane in particular can build up static charge.
n-hexane is a chronic toxicant that you should limit exposure to.
Pentane and heptane are more expensive.
Still dangerous goods.
Some fuels may be dyed.
Finding a sufficiently pure solvent that boils at the desired range may require trial and error or use of the Solvent Database I linked earlier. Varsol is not the same as naptha.
I definitely understand the desire to handle something that's a liquid at room temperature, it would make some things easier but how would you deal with terpene loss on removal of the solvent?