Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Books you loved when you were younger

Strawberry_lovemuffin

Bluelighter
We've had the tv thread, so following on the nostalgia theme: what were your favorite books as a kid? (you can include comics).

So many great memories for me ....

* My old, tattered, paperback copy of "Annie" - I read this possibly 100 times

* The Narnia series

* any Judy Blume book

* Freaky Friday, and any books about magic, like that one where the girl finds a box upstairs in her house which contains shoes which can walk a thousand miles in one step, a vaccuum cleaner that flies, and a box of chocolates that never empties.... I adored those sort of books.

* Nancy Drew! I liked the girlie detective stories; my fave was Harriet the Spy. I actually bought a little notebook and would sneak around my neighbourhood spying on people pretending I was her...lol.

* How to eat fried worms

* I read the whole of Virgina Andrew's "Flowers in the Attic" series by the age of 13 .... found them in the library and got hooked. Thank god mum never knew their "adult" nature!

Oh, so many. I could go on and on. Yes, I was a nerd 8) , thankyou very much, I do know that ;) :D

So what were your favourites?

PS. I still like children's books. I read all of John Marsden's 'Tomorrow, when the war began' series (fucking brilliant books) and am going to start on Harry Potter next =D

Last edited:
I loved comics as a kid - you name it I'd read it - which later lead me to my love for Japanese manga.

But there a two things that stick in my mind and I still enjoy to this day..

Tintin

tintin.jpg

Asterix

intro-asterix.gif

Judy Blume,
and of course Roald Dahl.

who could forget him?

in grade 6 i read every childrens book roald dahl wrote and a couple of the adult ones before i realised the adult ones were shit.

i also loved the Redwall series by Brian Jaques

but the all time favorites were Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss

and that picture book with the little catterpillar that eats things... cant remember its name

top stuff!!!! i still love kids books.

Where do I start?!?

=D

Roald Dahl was a huge favourite... I remember shedding a few tears when I heard he had died.

I loved the Narnia series by CS Lewis.

John Marsden is hella cool. I keep meaning to get out the Tomorrow series and read it through again.

I will always love you - a book about a beloved family dog. We still have it on the shelf (my sis and I have a list of books which can never be thrown out).

All through primary school, I devoured Baby Sitters Club books and a series called The Gymnasts (anyone else read these??)

No Promises - Pamela Curtis Swallow - read this over and over around the time I was 13.

List could go on and on...

Did anyone else order through Book Club at school?? My parents must've spent hundreds over the years on all the books my sis and I asked for :) :)

ah Haste!!..

i loved asterix , i still do! i can remember when i had red every single one and finally a new one came out. awesome....mmm....lovely times i had a blacktown librabry.

katmeow said:

All through primary school, I devoured Baby Sitters Club books and a series called The Gymnasts (anyone else read these??)

No, but I'll freely admit I was obsessed with "Sweet Valley High". Those blond twins were just the epitome of cool!

Book club: yes indeed. Mum rued the day she ever encouraged me to join that. =D

RL stine
john marsden
terry pratchett
paul jennings
and stephen king as early as i could. i'm the hugest fan

*lion, witch and the wardrobe

*goosebumps

*faraway tree series

*and who can forget Narnia, i think that played apart in everyones childhood

The Faraway Tree series was great!!! but i actually wasnt into the narnia books much. *shrugs* they just didnt do it for me.

I LOVE Alice in wonderland tho =D

i loved the book the "silver sword" all about escaping germany in WWII, i also loved the "eyes of the dragon" by stephen king, must have read it about a thousand times

i cant say i have ever even heard of "eyes of the dragon"
hmmm.....
but the Dark Tower series is the best ever

nice choices there SLM, i was a narnia guru myself..;) although a personal favourite of mine has and will always be any book by graeme base, eg. the eleventh hour and umm *thinks* some a-z animal book? oh and we cant all forget "the hungry caterpillar" from the school library, the holes always fascinated me :)

..kytnism..:|

So many favourites...

The Fairy Rebel by Lynne Reid Banks
The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
Matilda/ The Twits and The BFG by Roald Dahl
Finders Keepers by Emily Rodda
The Eleventh Hour by ??
Galaxarena by Gillian Rubinstein
Anything by Christopher Pike (though they were all pretty much the same anyway.)
Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian
Wacky Wednesday by Dr Suess
The Animals of Farthing Wood by ??

I'll probably think of more later but those are the first which come to mind. :)

tintin
asterix
enid blyton's books
alfred hitchcock's three investigators series
hardy boys
chronicles of narnia

raymond e feist's riftwar saga
stephen r donaldson's chronicles of thomas covenent
dragonlance

kytnism said:
although a personal favourite of mine has and will always be any book by graeme base, eg. the eleventh hour and umm *thinks* some a-z animal book?

Pretty sure it was called Animalia.

And, I was thinking about Enid Blyton whilst compiling my list, but got caught up remembering old books :)

Early High School, I was addicted to Stephen King and Dean Koontz.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:

* I read the whole of Virgina Andrew's "Flowers in the Attic" series by the age of 13 .... found them in the library and got hooked. Thank god mum never knew their "adult" nature!

When I was a young thing, about 10 years old I started reading flowers in the attic, I also had finished them by the time I was 13 !
I remember in grade 2 not being allowed to read by my teacher the babysitters club, although I more than capable because they were too 'mature' for me ! Luckily after some arguments, I had won and was allowed to read them, but only allowed to borrow one a month !
I use to love chose your own adventure, anything by r.l stien, those damn romance novels, I cant remember the name of them, but I got given about 60 of them from one of mums friend and nearly read the lot ! I also use to love a particular book that I read many many times, it was called "The teacher fried my brains !" and the whole series was about this guy who knew all the teachers were aliens and they use to visit him at night and electrocute his brains in order to be smarter. The guy in the book was totally paranoid, and it was quite disturbing ! But my favorite book when I was about 11 years old I was given a copy of charles dickens " Great Expectations" . I lurrved this book to no end! Sweet valley high and anything that involved mystery and murder were also huge faves, but cant think of the names of any more.

Edit to add:

enid blyton. absolutely obsessed with her work !

I used to read a whole lot more when I was younger. I need to get back into it :)

Books I once loved:

*A Wrinkle in Time
*Grimms Fairy Tales
*Anything by Hans Christian Anderson
*The Fairy books (They came in heaps of colours: Red, Orange, Yellow, Olive, Violet, Grey, Brown) and were full of fairy tales of course!
*Babysitters Club - Haha I had like 60 of these babies.
*The Twits
*Alice in Wonderland
*The Oz books
*Chronicles of Narnia
*The Hobbit

There are heaps more I'm sure but I can't really remember. I got into Stephen King when I was a bit older and I have to agree with those people who already mentioned Eyes of the Dragon, The Talisman and The Dark Tower series. Excellent reading! So many people think that Sk is just a horror author.

i loved to read when i was a kid! =D Don't make enough time for it now :(

Roald Dahl was a definite faveorite (bfg being my fave one of his) i read that about 20 times hehehe

Enid Blyton rocks and i used to read the far away tree and the enchanted wood and the wishing chair to my sister when i was little

Its great having a kid when you can show him books that you used to read as a child...we are reading "the enchanted wood" together at bed time right now actually =D

oh and i used to read all the babysitter club books and sweet valley high aswell

also all of Paul Jennings books too

Its funny when he says "Did they have those books when you were a little girl mum" all wide eyed like i'm 100 years old or something bwahahahaha reminds me of the things i used to say to my mum and dad like they were dinosaurs lol