• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ Books - Authors & Books Discussion

goatofthenever said:
Perfume by PATRICK SUSKIND

Seconded. You'll notice your sense of smell like never before after reading it - it's an excellent read.

If you like odd stuff I'd also reccomend checking out anything by Kurt Vonnegut. He has this "all over the place" style of writing that is pretty satirical of the United States and the modern times with an underlying sense of high intelligence. Sort of :)

At any rate, I think you'd dig him. "Breakfast of Champions" is probably my favorite work of his. "Slaughterhouse-Five" is pretty good too, as well as the short, humorous "God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian."

Last edited:
wind up bird chronicles-haruki murakami
geek love-katherine dunn
infinite jest-david foster wallace

ice-9 said:
yes, vonnegut is good too..

i like Cat's Cradle.

As your bluelight name gives away to those of us who are Vonnegut fans . . . :D love his work.

yep - as if it's needed i totally second:

geek love by katherine dunn
perfume by patrick suskind
neverwhere by neil gaiman

all three are excellent reads.

alasdair

Robert Rankin is hilarious, childish and very weird. Like Douglas Adams on...something.

I've read so many of the books in this thread. Gotta love Bluelight.

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster is very cool. and quite weird. Sort of metaphysical detective stories. Highly recommended.

Dan

Harmony Korine's book A Crackup at the Race Riots is pretty "weird", I traded it for another book awhile ago however and vaguely regret it..

Pierre Guyotat's Eden Eden Eden is vile and interesting, if your french is good I'd read the original instead of the english trans. that I did.

I like this thread.

Tim Powers (author)- kind of adventure/fantasy/horror. Putting a different twist on historical events.

Jostein Gaarder- Sophie's world- philosophical summary in novel form.

China Mieville- Perdido St Station, then The Scar and The Iron Council. Beautiful lefty fantasy steampunk novels.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is beautiful- if you're in the mood for some easier/lighter reading may I suggest just about anything by Diana Wynne Jones- young adult fiction author, but fantastic quality. Also Coraline by Neil Gaiman. Actually, anything by Neil Gaiman. His Sandman comics series was fantastic.

Promethea (comic) by Alan Moore.
From Hell- the comic the movie was based on- much better and darker, though oft banned. Also by Alan Moore, and illustrated by Eddie Campbell.
Anything by Alan Moore.
Anything by Dave Sims if you can get over his misogyny.
Any comic authored by Grant Morrison.

Just wanted to update this thread a bit. I know it's a bit old but wanted to thank everyone who contributed. I've read some of the books suggested and have more on the way. blahblahblah- I ended up reading Beam me up, Scotty and it was a good read, thanks.

fizzacyst said:
"Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson is kind of wierd... I really like it. If you like sci-fi/post apocalyptical/"cyberpunk" type stuff you might like it. I think a lot of his stuff is kind of like William Gibson's.

I see how Stephenson's work is extremely similiar to that of Gibson.. except, to me, it's much better. Burning Chrome (Gibson) was extremely boring to me while Snow Crash was the most enjoyable thing I've read all quarter. Gibson set the stage for the cyberpunk writing but Stephenson made it GOOD.