• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ Books - Authors & Books Discussion

Nonfiction Book Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get smarter and trade my TV shows for BOOKS! Well, ebooks that are available on the ipad are preferred.

I'm just interested in very famous historical events, or popular events that occurred. Straight up educational information but also interesting and fairly easy to read. I really like inspirational stories as well.

So I was wondering if you guys can give me any suggestions: Famous wars, Japan, drugs, supernatural (magic witchy but nothing scary), and overall classics that you think everyone should have read in their lifetime.

Thanks! :)

Magic witchy but nothing scary haha. When I was little I was scared of the wizard of oz.

I'm always banging on about him, check out Carlos Castaneda and tell me if its fact or fiction. I'd suggest starting with his first book if you can get a hold of it. The teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui way of knowledge.

As for overall classics imo;

Animal farm by George Orwell
1984 by George Orwell
Brave new world by Aldous Huxley

Also try doing a search for similar threads in the search bar in the top right of your page. :)

Last edited:
"Junkie Love" by Greywood Foxhall the Third...

Pre-order the self-published "Director's Cut" with a signature&number (it's the first-edition, and those two items will make it's value much higher some day) for only $25 (and help Bluelight as portions of the profits will be donated to BL)... If the Kickstarter goal isn't met (hopefully that won't be the case, only need 8 more donors... seven after you.), you get your money back... 100% of it. It's no-risk, a great way to support a GL'er (soon to be BL'er), Bluelight, and a great read. I posted Chapter One for everyone to check out a few minutes ago... The book is a no-holds barred look at the descent into hell by my late-fiance and I. I will be publishing the second edition through Random House or Harper-Collins, I have connections, but want this "Director's Cut" out there first... their content editing staff is going to have a field day hacking the book up. So, get the pure stuff, and not the baking soda that corporate America thinks is all the public can handle...

Last edited by a moderator:
For a start:

"Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell
"Kingdom of Fear" and "Hells Angels" by Hunter S Thompson
"Stasiland" by Anna Funder
"Gang Leader for a Day" by Sudhir Alladi Venkatesh
"Debt" by David Graeber
Anything by Oliver Sacks and most of Jon Ronson's books.

Scar tissue by Anthony Kiedis (if you like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, this'll get you even more into them)

Redemption Song by Mike Marqusee. Very good read about Muhammad Ali, and the time period in general.

The Science of God by Gerald Schroeder. Tries to bridge gap between science and religion. Says that religion doesn't have to be at odds with science. I'm not religious, but this book was pretty interesting. Some parts get pretty dry, but all in all a good read.

mirage men by mark pilkington..amazing about UFOs / disinformation...even non UFO buffs will enjoy, written from an interesting perspective; the author is responsible for many crop circle hoaxes so is aware of how bullshit gathers momentum and takes on a life of its own, however he has also seen things he cant explain.
i loved it

everything is broken by emma larkin - thats about burma after the cyclone in 2008....very depressing in some ways, an insight into a genuine police state

Paranormality by Richard Wiseman - an extremely sceptical look at the paranormal

the holographic universe by micheal talbot - an interesting theory, lots of interesting tit bits along the way....flawed in some ways [ he's a big fan of sali baba, an obvious fraud, casts doubt on a lot of the stories he uses as evidence ] but still enjoyable

laugh, quiet roar - most of those are works of fiction...

op, one non-fiction book which springs to mind immediately is Gentle Bridges

5109MTZR0TL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

"Gentle Bridges: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on the Sciences of Mind

What is the essence of the mind? Could computers ever have consciousness? Can compassion be learned? When does consciousness enter the human embryo? These are just some of the many questions that were discussed during a historic meeting that took place between several prominent Western scientists and the Dalai Lama. Gentle Bridges is a chronicle of this extraordinary exchange of ideas.
"

one of my favourite non-fiction categories is biography - for me, people are inherently interesting. i really enjoyed: with nails, the biographical film diaries of the great english actor, richard e grant.

alasdair

De Quincey Confessions of An Opium Eater

I am reading this book currently. I am in the process of writing a new book, So naturally as Picasso has said good artists steal. lol. Anyway, is there Bluelighters who have read this wonderful book and if so, what are your thoughts?

8o

The old world english writing makes it a difficult read, yet well worth the effort. His struggles reflect those of a modern opiate addict.

Thank you for yr. reply... Yes I agree the king james version writing is quite hard to read. I also agree with the struggling part.

I liked the part about the constipation while on yacht in the Mediterranean if i remember correctly. Goes to to show pineapple shits have been around as long as opiates have.

Thanks Vaya. Right now I am reading Tolstoy and De Quincey. I cannot do much reading as I am under contract to write a certain amount of work. Are any Bluelighters writers? If any are I will give this piece of Info: Deadlines Suck. I am writing a two volume novel right now. 600 pages in both volumes. And if anyone has any questions on the literary market pm me.

i personally didn't find find the language to bothersome and it was a good read, and still relevant today. at times the writing style fucked me off but most of the time i liked it a lot though.

Paradise Earth by Anthony Mathenia.

The book is like the "Left Behind" series but from the perspective of the Jehovah's Witness's take on the whole thing; and the main character isn't metaphorically 'left behind' (JWs believe that when the rapture occurs, they will inherit the earth, not ascend to heaven. Non-believers will be annihilated & they will have the world to themselves).

I know the author personally, a former JW himself. Really cool dude. The main character has a cough syrup habit, and despite not being a drug user, Anthony got details of being an addict down really well. The book is not preachy at all (Anthony has a huge issue with high-control religion... if anyone read the book and became a JW, he'd be mortified, I think), and is an interesting yet fun read.

Anyone read any of Hunter S Thompsons books? I just got Fear and Loathing in America a brutal Odyssey and The Rum Diary. Been so lazy I'm still on the first 20 pages. In the past I've finished books like this in 2 - 3 nights, damn it.

Kingdom of Fear is one of my personal favorites of his. Along with The Great Shark Hunt. Really I love all of his work, he's probably my favorite author. Oddly enough I feel Hells Angels is his most overrated book.

Kingdom of Fear is one of my personal favorites of his. Along with The Great Shark Hunt. Really I love all of his work, he's probably my favorite author. Oddly enough I feel Hells Angels is his most overrated book.

Haven't been able to find The Great Shark Hunt here, unfortunately. Heard a lot of positive stuff about it so I might have to order it online or something.