• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bong inhalation technique

delta_9 said:
So are you saying smoke from a bong(whether tobacco or weed) is somehow harsher than smoke from a pipe or cigarette? Even though it's a proven fact that when you smoke from a water pipe(meaning a bong/bubbler/hooka) the smoke rises through the water and is cooled, thus reducing the chance of the smoker burning his mouth/throat/lungs. The water also removes water soluble material in the smoke thus preventing it from entering the user's lungs.
That's what I'd call "less harsh".

You may be inhaling more smoke from a bong, and you may be inhaling it faster, and this might make you cough, but that dosen't mean the smoke is "harsher". It just means you innhaled too much smoke.

I'd be interested to find out where it was found a 'proven fact' that bongs help so much.

I've heard it's a fallacy. The water might cool down the smoke/hit, making it seem less harsh, but it doesn't filter much out.

^ Then you shouldn't have any trouble drinking used bong water, right?

The smoke still passes through and ash still goes into the bowl, so no.

Just because it smells like shit means it filters the 'bad' stuff out?

It filters a lot of stuff out. Since water cools down the smoke, some molecules condense into the water. I would assume a lot of tar and other nasty stuff gets stuck in the water that way. That's what makes the bong water smell like shit. Ash generally stays in the bowl, not water.

If you smoke a cigarette in a bong (sounds like throwing gunpowder on your gas-stove to me.......) then don't be surprised if you cough like buggery!

What makes you cough isn't the harshness or anything, it's the giant nicotine hit, which is really quite unpleasant. Smoking even a bit of tobacco in a "shottie" is bad enough, I find, but a full toke of crappy cig smoke.... yuck!

Buy some cannabis if you wana mess about with a bong. Generally, they aint hard to use, and are thoroughly pleasant once you get used to 'em! :)

Chubba75 said:
Every single bong in Australia is sold with a carb/shotty, glass/plastic/ceramic/wood.

I guess it's whoever your market is, I definetely wouldn't like to smoke without one.

I've yet to see a glass Roor with a carb. Do they not sell Roors in Australia?

The size of a bong hit should be: the largest possible amount of smoke without pain or coughing.

No more (who the hell wants to have a coughing fit, you want to be able to hit the bong 30 seconds later)

it depends on what your purpose is.. if you want to have a nice relaxing smoke then yeah some small hits which don't make you cough or just a little bit are fine but if you want to get nice and baked sometimes a nice chonger is in order. Once you learn how to do it right you can take big hits that make you cough but aren't painful at all

Carl Landrover said:
I'd be interested to find out where it was found a 'proven fact' that bongs help so much.

I've heard it's a fallacy. The water might cool down the smoke/hit, making it seem less harsh, but it doesn't filter much out.
well it's been common knowledge for about 30 years now8) but here

Footloose said:
bust a fucking lung and hit that shit, you pussy.

bonus fun: if you can't clear the chamber, you get bitch slapped by every member of the smoking circle before you exhale the smoke.

bonus bonus fun: if you can't hold the smoke in while being bitch slapped, you get mushroom slapped for wasting weed.

if you aren't getting high, you aren't hitting it hard enough.

you my friend, are wise. all your knowledge holds true with all my friends. clear it or get out of the circle. thats the only way.

Chubba75 said:
Yep, they're called a "shotty" in Australia.

"Hurry up and shotty that smoke".Cones are very small, they contain enough for 1 bong hit when full. So we pack it every single hit.

Pack it, light it, inhale, shotty it.... rinse and repeat.

The US way of packing up these massive bowls is just crazy and then passing it around.
yeah me and my friends have a special technique we just light the bowls from the side, to me putting the lighter straight on and just roasting the thing is just plain nasty, and since all the bongs we use are at least a foot (or 30cm for all you guys who live in sane countries) so you still get good hits no matter what.

oh and to all the people talking about slapping each other and shit if you were trying to not let the people on this forum know that you are 14 you just failed terribly.

Tip #1: Don't smoke Tobacco from bong. You'll probably get sick and/or throw up like your friend.

If you want to smoke something out of a Bong, Cannabis is generally the way to go. If you want to smoke Tobacco, stick with a cigarette, cigar, or pipe.

I would agree with this tbh - only time I ever ripped a pure tobacco bong, I didn't cough - it was a VERY smooth hit so was easy to rip the whole cone in one.

Then I breathed out and almost have a seizure! Not really, but I was shivering, felt like I was gonna puke, and was feeling dizzy as fuck...not nice...wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I do however have a friend who used to pack a cone of green, rip it, then pack a cone of pure tobacco and rip that straight after - GRIIIIIIIMMER

And we're like the Aussies over here in the UK - we have a hole in the side of our bongs - we call it a "rush hole" - I like the look of the way the US stoners hit bongs tho - pulling out the stem - it looks cool...but our way means ya burn 0.001 less calories so I like our way better HAHAHAHA :p

Last edited:
i cant believe you made your boy take a bong hit of tobacco. was it a joke or somthing?

I agree with GenericMind, and pretty much all the other mods. head shops are required by law to state they're for tobacco use but they're really not. They CAN be, but it isn't very pleasant. Smoking a bong is the best way to feel a rush from weed. Who wants the feel a rush from tobacco. Stick to the cigs.

ok...cigarettes have a lil filter which makes it smoother to inhale...
a bong has water to filter but doesn't work quite the same...

the filter on a cigarette is meant to filter that tobbacco shit out...bong water just makes it smoother and i dont think filters as much...

smoke your cigarettes; put weed in a fucking bong...the end....

My friend just took his first bong-hit from a water bong that I constructed with some tobacco from a cigarette. He had never smoked anything but a cigarette before.

He held the lighter to the tobacco and directly inhaled a good amount of smoke through the bong. To make a long story short, he was coughing his guts out for a good minute. He also said he was very faint; he had to crouch down on the floor.

Is this how everyone responds to their first bong hit, or did he do something wrong? How exactly are you supposed to inhale from a bong? I haven't ever smoked anything but a cigarette before either, and I'm a bit hesitant to try it for myself at this point in time. :\

Any tips would be appreciated...

Dont smoke bong tokes with tobacco. The faintness is because of that.

Think about it, you don't smoke 1/4 of a cig in one drag, why do that with a bong.

Bongs, imo dont filter all that much out, the reason for their use is the cooling effect of the water, to make the smoke cooler and thus easier to take.

I've used both a bong with a pull stem carb and one with just one on the side.

I love the pull stem bongs. They've hit me harder than any bong has before. I got fucked up over 2 cones and was rolling around on the ground for 10 minutes in a haze. People said it was the funniest shit they've seen a long time. I literally just punched the cone and collapsed, my mate who was next managed to snatch it out of my hands before it smashed. And I wasn't a novice smoker at that point or anything... Best bud.

Closest I've ever come to greening out.