• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bong inhalation technique

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
My friend just took his first bong-hit from a water bong that I constructed with some tobacco from a cigarette. He had never smoked anything but a cigarette before.

He held the lighter to the tobacco and directly inhaled a good amount of smoke through the bong. To make a long story short, he was coughing his guts out for a good minute. He also said he was very faint; he had to crouch down on the floor.

Is this how everyone responds to their first bong hit, or did he do something wrong? How exactly are you supposed to inhale from a bong? I haven't ever smoked anything but a cigarette before either, and I'm a bit hesitant to try it for myself at this point in time. :\

Any tips would be appreciated...

Tip #1: Don't smoke Tobacco from bong. You'll probably get sick and/or throw up like your friend.

If you want to smoke something out of a Bong, Cannabis is generally the way to go. If you want to smoke Tobacco, stick with a cigarette, cigar, or pipe.

^Not true. Smoke going through a bong/bubbler is filtered by the water and is thus less harse and "cleaner", so the tobacco smoke from a bong is less likely to make him cough than tobacco smoke from a cigarette/cigar. Unless the OP has never smoked tobacco before, he should be fine. And if you really haven't smoked tobacco before then don't start now.

I do agree than you should only smoke weed from your bong.

It takes a while to get used to ripping a bong. You're taking in quite a bit more smoke than you likely ever have before smoking from conventional pieces. That said, I would NEVER smoke tobacco out of a bong, guaranteed puke.

Ass backwards as it may sound, when getting ready to clear a rip, try inhaling with all of your remaining lungpower. The smoke will rush into you so fast you won't have time to "do it wrong" and you'll just get a big hit all at once rather than trying to choke down some stale smoke because you couldn't clear the bong.

[^ that advice is obviously for marijuana purposes only.]

Last edited:
I've personally hit tobacco out of a bong many years ago and it was no more harsh than a hit of weed the same size. I only did it once and don't recommend it, but not because it's likely to make you cough or puke. It just leaves a disgusting taste in your mouth for a while.

delta_9 said:
^Not true. Smoke going through a bong/bubbler is filtered by the water and is thus less harse and "cleaner", so the tobacco smoke from a bong is less likely to make him cough than tobacco smoke from a cigarette/cigar. Unless the OP has never smoked tobacco before, he should be fine. And if you really haven't smoked tobacco before then don't start now.

I do agree than you should only smoke weed from your bong.

I don't care how well a water bong is constructed, I've smoked tobacco from a bong and it's definitely not less harsh than a cigarette IMO.

So are you saying smoke from a bong(whether tobacco or weed) is somehow harsher than smoke from a pipe or cigarette? Even though it's a proven fact that when you smoke from a water pipe(meaning a bong/bubbler/hooka) the smoke rises through the water and is cooled, thus reducing the chance of the smoker burning his mouth/throat/lungs. The water also removes water soluble material in the smoke thus preventing it from entering the user's lungs.
That's what I'd call "less harsh".

You may be inhaling more smoke from a bong, and you may be inhaling it faster, and this might make you cough, but that dosen't mean the smoke is "harsher". It just means you innhaled too much smoke.

^ yeah there's no doubting that the smoke itself has been filtered through the water. the difference lies in the fact that when you're normally smoking tobacco, be it from a cigarette, cigar, or pipe, you don't inhale as deep into your lungs as you possibly can. by ripping a bong, you're taking a huge amount of tobacco wayyy down into you and that can cause some nasty reactions.

so while it may be definitively "less harsh" it's certainly no smoother than smoking a cigarette.

^yes I know, my last sentence covers that. Once again, more smoke dosen't mean harsher smoke.

ok, so lets get back to the point of the thread then (why did the OP's friend COUGH so much), rather than discussing the semantics of "harsh"

this is funny cause bongs are legally sold for smoking tobacco, ^^^ doesn't that kinda go for smoking anything? when hitting blunt/joint/pipe/anything i inhale until i'm on the edge of cvoughing and then inhale a bunch of air.

As for hitting bongs for the unexperienced, if they're an un experienced bong smoker than they're weed tolerance is probably pretty low and since even the smallest bong hits are bigger than standrad a hit off anything else (except for perhaps a good blunt hit) he probaly doesnt need a very big or very many bong hit(s). Wth that said he shoudl watch the chamber while inhaling and keeping the lighter on oe side of the bowl,after 3-4 seconds of smoke coming through the stem he should probably pull the stem out and then fill the rest of his lungs with air until they are full to capacity and then hold it for as long as he feels comfortable and then exhale slowly.

yeah all of the non-hoemade bongs i've smoked haven't had carbs, or shotty holes as some call em, in them.

and my friends don't have cheap taste in bongs either the latest purchased piece in my circle of friends was priced at $180 USD but it a relative of his owns a head shop so he got it for $80 USD, and it did not have a carb.

and yes here in america (or on the west coast at least) we call em bowls not cones.

Chubba75 said:
What? Damn you American's are weird... we just have a hole on the side of the bong that we plug with a finger/thumb, after you've smoked your cone (bowl?) you just take it off and clear the chamber.
Most professional glass bongs aren't made with a "carb", which is the hole you described. This is also true for most ceramic bongs.

Why not? The bong still works the same way, just instead of a stationary slide, there is a stem protruding into the water that the slide/bowl fits snugly into. You just pull it out when you want to inhale. It takes just a hit or two to get used to, trust me ;).
A 2 piece bong is much better IMO. That carb or shotty is a weak spot for your bong, especially if it's glass. But I guess it is a regoinal thing. Like I said the vast majority of glass bongs don't have carbs here.

Chubba75 said:
Every single bong in Australia is sold with a carb/shotty, glass/plastic/ceramic/wood.

I guess it's whoever your market is, I definetely wouldn't like to smoke without one.
aussie aussie aussie!

yeah shit ive never seen any bongs sold here with a slide/removable stem
would be interesting

i think if aussie stoners bought a glass bong with a slide and no shotty, theyd prob drill a shotty in it hahah itd be too weird without it.

I'm sure you can buy one made in the US, one with a slide, and have it shipped to australia. In fact bongs are much cheaper online.

bust a fucking lung and hit that shit, you pussy.

bonus fun: if you can't clear the chamber, you get bitch slapped by every member of the smoking circle before you exhale the smoke.

bonus bonus fun: if you can't hold the smoke in while being bitch slapped, you get mushroom slapped for wasting weed.

if you aren't getting high, you aren't hitting it hard enough.

Footloose said:
bust a fucking lung and hit that shit, you pussy.

bonus fun: if you can't clear the chamber, you get bitch slapped by every member of the smoking circle before you exhale the smoke.

bonus bonus fun: if you can't hold the smoke in while being bitch slapped, you get mushroom slapped for wasting weed.

if you aren't getting high, you aren't hitting it hard enough.

STFU