• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight Weekly Create-An-Avatar Contest Round 3: johanneschimpo

pennywise

Bluelighter
Please take a moment to review the rules, which have been somewhat borrowed from the tried-and-true photo contest.

Please pay special attention to the new rule, #10 on the list.

RULES

1. Avatars must be your original work. This means that while it is ok to use source images, they must be modified in some meaningful way such that they are recognizably different from their original form and can be considered uniquely yours.

2. Animations (in the form of animated GIF's) are acceptable and encouraged. However, all animations must be created entirely by you. This means no taking existing animations and modifying them. It might be ok for images, and it is ok to use source images in your animations, but animations need to be created frame by frame by you.

3. No submitting artwork for other people, for friends, etc. Your OWN work, very simple.

4. Only one avatar may be entered per contest.

5. Avatars need to be no larger than 50x50 pixels with a maximum size of 9.8 kb, which is BL's size restriction. Avatar's must meet Bluelight specifications and size limitations. If it can't be used on BL as an avatar, it will not be a valid entry.

6. Deadline for entries is 12am Eastern (5am GMT) on the posted deadline date.

7. Voting ends at 12am Eastern (5am GMT) on the posted end date.

8. Post your images in the appropriate thread in the form of an image, not a link to click on.

9. Don't be a dummy and vote for your own entry, try and make it fun.

As far as voting in the selection poll is concerned, it is not permissible to create any sort of thread to promote any specific contestant(s). Someone might get the idea to create a thread in a high-traffic forum that asks people to vote for a certain contestant in the running, and links to the poll. This is really unfair to the other contestants, and it also promotes votes from people have no real interest in the contest, and thus have no interest in the outcome of the poll.

Beginning with round 4 of the selection poll, if I find that anyone who has entered their name for consideration has done this, their name will be removed from the poll. If I find that someone has done this who has not entered their name, I will remove votes for the person whom it promotes. I may remove all votes, and let that person start from zero after I have deleted the thread which promotes it, or I may remove whatever votes I believe to have been gained from the offending thread, but the ultimate decision will be made by me. Finally, if anyone makes a thread promoting someone with the intention of causing them to lose votes because of the penalties I have just outlined, I will get to the bottom of it one way or another, and I will ask that they be temporarily banned at the very least.

If you want to create a thread or make a post that links to the thread and poll in general, but that does not promote any contestant(s) over any other contestant(s), that's fine, and even encouraged. :)

Please don't fuck around with the voting anymore, people. I don't enjoy having to deal with this kind of thing. This isn't some sort of power trip or something. It's just more work for me, and creates a lot of negativity, resentment, and general bad feelings. We can all get along somehow, and at I'll do my best to make sure everyone gets a chance to get a new avatar eventually.

I think that it is very likely that at some point I will forgo the poll and have a special selection round, where I give someone who is really interested in being the subject but hasn't had much luck in the polls a chance at it without getting the votes. Along those lines, I have also decided that the next round will be a "non-mod" round, where the names on the poll will only be of contestants who are not moderators, as all of the subjects have been mods up until this point.

Remember, the point of the poll is to give people the opportunity to choose the type of avatar that they would like to make, or see made by others, based on the description of the avatar that each contestant requests. Try to make your vote along those lines, rather than letting it be some sort of popularity contest or whatever it is starting to turn into.

Finally, if you are really that interested in participating, try making some avatars, rather than simply asking that others make them for you. I would be much more inclined to make a special exception for someone to be the one to have avatars made for them if they were a person who contributed to the contest by creating avatars and entering them in the contest. They don't have to win, or even be "good," it would just be nice to see any kind of participation.

Images which are not relevant to the week's theme will be automatically removed.

If you have a problem with another contestant's entry adhering to the contest guidelines, please PM the forum moderators. Do not try to begin a debate about the issue within the contest submission or poll thread! There will be zero tolerance towards any attempts to devolve a contest thread into a bash-fest or witch hunt.

We will pick the next theme and post it the night a contest ends for the next round so people have a full 7 days to create avatars and submit them. After all the entries have been posted, a poll will be added on the last night, so people can vote. Voting will take place from midnight to midnight over the following 2 days (12am Sunday - 12am Tuesday).

Thank you and have fun!

To help us adhere to rule #5, SA has a few words for us...

SA said:
If the animated file is too large for BL, you could always use the free online gif editor to "Optimize > Reduce Colors". It presents a whole bunch of copies where the colour has been gradually reduced from copy to copy and hence has the size.

And so does Damien8787...

Damien8787 said:
And if you are working with photoshop: File > Save For Web.

Thanks guys. :)

As far as software goes, I'm afraid as of now, I can't be of much help in providing any for you. If you don't have Photoshop, you can always use MS Paint or some other similar program that came with your OS. Keep in mind that the size and resolution requirements will keep the playing field a bit more level in this regard, as high resolution or fancy photoshopping has much less of an impact at these very low resolutions and sizes. Ingenuity, composition, and a sense of humor or inventiveness might win the day here, and prove more valuable than shiny polished pixels and filters.

In deference to BL policy, I'm afraid all I can point you towards as far as tools go are the ones available for free download that are not copyrighted, such as SA's link, and for the gif animator link I will give you below. That being said, if you should happen to stumble across some strange and mysterious way to acquire copyrighted software for free, that is your business, and we don't want to know about it. ;)

Here is a simple gif animator program: Microsoft GIF Animator. It is simple, but should serve your needs.

This first subject selection poll went well, and I was happy to see all the people who came out to vote for the contestants. To all the runners-up in our poll, I would like to thank you for your interest, and encourage you to keep your name in the running for next week's poll. If anyone does not wish to remain on the list next week, please post in the previous polling thread, or send me a pm, and I will sadly remove you :(. Anyone who wishes to add their name to the next poll can do so in the same way. Thanks for participating, and don't lose hope! It was a close round. Next time it could be you. :)

With all that covered, our subject selection poll winner, and next subject will be...

johanneschimpo

You may know him as a newly christened moderator of Other Drugs here on BL.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create an avatar adhering to the following parameters:

johanneschimpo said:
Like E-nod, I want a variation of my existing avatar. Its been there my whole time on bluelight, so if it was changed entirely it would lose that "instant recognition" status.

So any variation of a monkey holding its cock, which is a banana, works for me. I liked all of E's psychedelic pokemon-epilepsy inducing fluorescence choices.

Minimum requirements: a monkey, preferably doing something vulgar. Animation is a total plus!

(I would do this myself but have no skillz!!!)

That is your mission...

Entries are being accepted immediately, and the deadline will be 11:59 pm EST next Saturday, April 26, 2008. That's 4/26/08.

johanneschimpo, I assume, will follow the tradition of displaying the winning avatar next to his name for a while following the conclusion of this weeks festivities, so please know that should you win, your avatar will get lots of exposure around the site from this (semi ;) ) high-profile member. Similarly, johanneschimpo will have the exclusive right to all entries for use as his avatar in the future, and should he request it, we would ask that other members respect his proprietary right to reserve the entered avatars for his own use. So even if you don't win, you might still see him wearing your avatar one day. :)

Finally, thank you to Klue for the idea (pm me if you wish to take over any of the hosting duties, it was your idea), and to everyone who voted on in the contest discussion thread. :)

Thats it! Happy clicking, and good luck! :D

Last edited:
I hope every create-an-avatar guidelines don't take this long to read. ;)

AmorRoark said:
I hope every create-an-avatar guidelines don't take this long to read. ;)

They're rules and tips/tech advice/links and and explanation of the contest. It takes space to explain. :p

It's not like anyone reads it all anyways...it's just there so the rules are documented somewhere and it doesn't look like I'm just making it up as I go along. ;)

Just giving you a hard time. I read all of it (who knows why I don't really have the skills to make avatars) and it's very well-constructed. Good work! :D

I swear I'm gonna enter one as soon as I make some time. I've been spending most of my free time doing bad things recently. :p
leaving.gif

lol still coming. Don't worry man, I'll keep it up for as long as it takes, even if I have to make all of them myself.

But it looks like there might be some fallout from your aggressive campaign. :\ ;)

c'mon ppl, don't let this die!

*bump*

pennywise said:
But it looks like there might be some fallout from your aggressive campaign. :\ ;)

c'mon ppl, don't let this die!
After seeing all his votes I thought there would be like at least 40 entries. lol.

Thats a shame. I just wanted a new avatar(s), and I saw someone else was asking the people in the forum they mod for, so I did the same. It just so happens OD has a ton of traffic and I won. I didn't cheat. I played the game well.

I'm sad now; I had an "aggressive campaign," no doubt, but not even one person will make a avatar for me? I'd do something cool with photoshop or paintshop pro or whatever if I owned any programs like that, and more importantly, had any idea how to use them.

But even if I did, I wanted to see what all you guys from the community would come up with. We no doubt have some very creative people amongst our ranks, as I saw with E-Nod's avatars (they were amazing!). Now I'm just a sad little boy, because nobody is down to make one for me. I spent all day doing what I can do best, educating on safe and responsible drug use. I just wished someone with art skills and creativity (which I lack) would share what do best with me.

Oh well. Sorry if my attitude (which I didn't think was a problem) turned everybody off from making an avatar for me. I hope pennywise will leave the contest open until there are submissions, as he said above.

Please guys, the creative and artistic masses out there, will one of you make me a super swell neat-o avatar?
Thanks so much!

Dont worry so much :) It took a long time for eNod to get entries too, I think it was at least a week.

here ya go buddy :)

jchimp.gif

even if this one doesn't win, if you want a diff background color or a limit to the number of times the animation repeats, or some other little change, just let me know and I'll change if for ya.

took me a little while but I was trying out some new shit in photoshop, and while you can't see it with such a small thing, it worked out well. I always learn something new with each round of these little contests! kewl. :)

making a transparent gif is a bitch. I gave up on it. anyone know of any good tutorials or something?

Damien8787 said:
What part are you having trouble with exactly?

well at first there was a bunch of noise in each frame because I guess there were a few stray pixels when I used the magic wand to cut out the figure from the background. I fixed that by saving it as a "dithered" gif, and while I have no idea what that means, and while I know it would be pretty simple to find out, I am pretty lazy. But even after fixing the noise, when I tried to animate it, each frame would continue to be displayed after the animation was supposed to move on to the next frame, so by the end you would see all the frames superimposed over each other. I fixed some frames by selecting different "redraw" methods or something like that, but even when one of them worked (I think it was "restore background" or something), it made you select a color for the background, and it was no longer transparent. IDK, I never knew there were so many options for animated GIF's. I was afraid that if I messed with it too much just to make it stay transparent (had I even been able to accomplish that) it would be too outlandish to work on some browsers, so it became too much trouble, and I don't think I would have understood what I did anyway.

Also, I set each frame to play at 1/100th of a second, but it sure as hell doesn't look like that. It seems a lot longer than that. I don't get that either. :|

johanneschimpo said:
Yes! I am excited! I love that PW!

Keep them coming (please)!

hehe glad you like it :). Like I said, if you want a different background color, or maybe want him to pause longer in between bird-flippings (?), just let me know and I'll prob be able to do it.

This contest is really helping me learn some photoshop stuff. This one was all about learning the clone stamp tool. Wow, what an awesome tool! I had no idea how powerful this thing was. lol I labored so long over making everything perfect, but then realized that you wouldn't be able to see any of those painstaking details because the image is so damn small and low res. Whatever though, it was fun.

C'mon ppl, I gave it a push start, just do something quick. I bet you can do something in less than 15 mins that would look pretty cool. DO IT FAGGOTS!!!! :X :X :! :!

:D

I'm still nucking around with the MSanimator and MSPaint, so anything I do sux. But I'll see if I can throw something up soon (I know, I know, the 'contest' ended Saturday, but it appears to be limited on selection :\ )

I'm so happy I jumped on the contest when I did :D

I'm sure that you'll have some submissions turn up eventually JC! :D <3