• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

bluelight music production 2002

hehe, illegal.
my theory is that if u use blatantly recognisable samples u deserve to be locked up ;)

http://www.mp3.com.au/levinson
Well this guy aint a bluelighter, but he and I used to go clubbing religiously in Melbourne and had some great times. He's now studying music production/engineering, but his work is great. He hasn't committed to a style yet because he is one of those musicians who is obsessed with originality. He never does commercial cop outs by using factory preset samples (points finger at Paul Oakenfold!).
I recommend "Ya gotta give" and it's variation "A version excersion". Plus "Ditch digger" (sp?) also rocks pretty hard.
WELL WORTH THE LISTEN.

Originally posted by KompleX:
hehe, illegal.
my theory is that if u use blatantly recognisable samples u deserve to be locked up ;)

ok... its a remix of sasha's wavey gravey (yes, another fucking one), the samples were posted on the net for a remix competition... not illegal per se but i still dont think mp3.com.au would let me host it there...
just trying to get a decent tune i made out there somewhere for someone to listen to, its rare i actually finish a song of any decent length im happy with, so i wanted to get this one heard somehow.
my next project however, is going to be a total ripoff... but so cheeky its genius.
icon12.gif

Originally posted by Dante:
Well, I just scored my first live gig at a real party, next Friday night I'll be playing 45 mins of my own styled tekkers at a party in Canberra :)
Very happy about it, nervous as shit, furiously cleaning up tracks and loops...
Hopefully it'll all be good though ;)

I'd just like to say that Dante rocked the house that night. I am not a real tek fan, but damn there were some fine tunes in there.
--
MDMA-4-ALL (And dancing for Dante's set)

pendulum posted this:
hey all!
it's been a while!! Well, in my spare time, I have started making music. Trance... uplifting trance.
So those of you who are interested, please check out my first full song :)
Let me know what you think :)
SONG: The Lift of Life
ARTIST: Starsurfer (thats my production/DJ name)
http://www.pendarand.com/starsurfer/songs/liftoflife.mp3
Look forward to hearing what you have to say !!
Cheers
Pendulum

Mr Horse/Leprachaun:
I was sitting in my room litening to secondnexus the other day when my mum walked past, she stopped and goes "hey, I can dance to this" and started bopping away :)
nice work when you appeal to the masses aswell hehe
keep it up!

about time I rediscovered posting on bluelight.
Anyway some of my tunes from 2000-2002 are up at:
www.mp3.com.au/opiate/
A variety of styles, though nothing much new has been added for a while now. Theres also a serotone remix on his mp3.com.au site - keep your eyes out for Inner City (serotone mix) - his mix brings the house down.
I've given up on getting a review on the site, so I really couldn't care for anyones opinion. I personally think they suck, but I've had good feedback from many.
At the moment I'm running a powermac G3 400 with a Roland PC-70 controller keyboard and a small array of assignable radials. However I"m going to ditch the mac for an AMD 2.4+ghz very soon. My mac is hardly capable of running VSTi's smoothly, and so far I've gotten by sampling them into reason or just spitting loops out into logic audio tracks (technique mainly used for techno). Despite macintosh propoganda, if you're running a software based studio, PC's are the way to go IMO - macs performance is only marginally better clock for clock with vst's, and cost about 6x as much : \
Ideally with my new pooter I would like to be able to play a full live set sequenced on logic, controlling vsti's and reason synths with logic touch tracks, tweaking cutoffs and misc parameters with my radials - with a pre-recorded CD on standby if the computer conks it in the middle. If I can afford it I'd probably implement a MOTU 18 channel output card going to an external mixer.

Bah, what is it about Logic? Everyone rants and raves at me to use it, but the last time I looked at it, I got confused as hell from the shitty assed manual, and confused because the interface wasn't nice and intuitive...
I'll stick to my Fruity for now, regardless of what any of you fruckers have to say ;)
...that is, unless you can give me a convincing arguement on why Logic is the bees knees...

kitlist for 2003:
home:
RM1X (thinking about selling it)
MAC G4 800 running Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools LE, Reason 2, Reaktor, th0nk etc... the usual suspects
EMU E6400
Yamaha spx8 (i think) - its a MIDI patch bay
Behringer euro2004
MIDIman 61 note USB controller (absolute peice of shit.. don't buy ANYTHING from these guys)
Virus B
Coming soon:
TCE M-One
TCE D-Two
DBX Compressor
work:
hardware
Pro Tools HD|3
Pro24 Control
DBX opto compressor
Roland JV 5080
Virus B
OB etc (the list of synths go on...)
Formac DV converter
Dynaudio Air series 5:1
software
Logic Platinum
Pro Tools 5.3.1 (hanging for Pro Tools 6)
Reason 2
Reaktor
Softsample Cell
plugzzzzzzzz++
blah the list goes on....
People often ask why I bother with hardware, while software can do what most hardware units can and it costs 1/10 (most times free ;) ) I dunno... I like hardware. Its tactile... also, playing live... you just have to have knobs to twiddle :)
anyway :)

http://mp3.com/punchae

This is my choon entitled "to the Hardcore" (or at least an early version of it 8(
I put it up on MP3.com after one night of working on it. I was really excited at the time.
Then after a couple of days I started thinking about adding some finishing touches.
Problem is, it takes like 2 weeks to upload a song onto the website, so I decided to leave that version up there, like Edward Scissorhands, not quite finished :D
I made the vocal sample using 'Sound Recorder' and my computer's mic (u know, that stick thing u use for online chatting) so its like the 'punk rock' approach to dance music production ;)
Anyway, fishin' for some feedback, so any would be appreciated (Dante, I'm lookin in your direction :D )
Cheers

My songs

I see someone posted an old message I put up about one of my songs. Well.. I personally think they have come along way.

I have some songs online that I would love some feedback for!

go to:
http://www.pendarand.com/starsurfer/songs

that is the directory where my songs are kept. There are a few trance tracks there. please let me know what you think!! Second Reign is a work in progress also.. not complete.. needs drum effects etc and an ending :)

My music name is 'Starsurfer', and not Pendulum.. although I might use 'Pendulum' for any harder trance that I make.

Cheers

Pendulum

Whoops punch e, I missed your post in this thread... I'll have a listen and give you some feedback when I'm not stupidly weighed down with Music Industry school work :\

Also, I've got more and more gigs getting lined up around Canberra, one more prolific than the rest on Easter Thursday night :)

Plus I've just been given $1k to spend on equipment, so my first purchase will be a new sound card... anyone got any comments on the M-Audio Audiophile 2496? thinking of grabbing one of em and some Sennheiser HD25's for playing LIVE with :)

dante: go the hd25s... you wont look back. Bit uncomfortable after a few hours tho, and they're a little bass heavy so make sure you've got other monitoring sources when u use them for mixing.

Don't know about the M-Audio stuff.

btw... got your sms,... nice work on the m-boxs.. flog one for yourself!!

I've also been looking at the HD280 Pro's, can anyone say anything about them? Considering they are half the price, and according to a mate who produces, they are "very good, specially considering they don't get uncomfortable cause they cover your ears", they sound like an idea...

I am the music man, I come from down your way,*

I make my own music on the computer, it's sort of "hard-epic-psy-trance". I use "Reason 2", "Cubase SX", and "Cool Edit Pro".

Anyone else here into making their own?
If so;
What gear do you use?
What software?
What style?
Are you any good? (I'm not, mine is for personal consumption only! :D )

*ps.the title of the thread comes from an old, rude , rugby drinking song. I suppose you young whippersnappers here won't know that one. :D