Open Discussion Bluelight mods engaging in harassment and trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
it must've been the horseshoes with the toilet seats picture that sent her over the edge

im from the east coast and i come from a long line of smartasses...i don't mean any harm

sometimes i even make fun of myself

but hey - at least im not sitting here posting that japan deserved to be nuked right?

=D

Not the topic for screwing around man.
but hey - at least im not sitting here posting that japan deserved to be nuked right?
She had legit points, it's not that black and white.
My point is that could be very offensive to some readers (particularly some Japanese people, of which I believe we don't have many ), while it could also serve as a good base for a productive discussion. There's no point in disallowing anyone saying that, it's also unfeasible in practice.

My point is that could be very offensive to some readers (particularly some Japanese people, of which I believe we don't have many ), while it could also serve as a good base for a productive discussion. There's no point in disallowing anyone saying that, it's also unfeasible in practice.

for sure - and actually she might have a point....would they have surrendered? but was the second nuke really necessary? it's a highly debatable subject

and again...im just bustin chops there too

Thank you.

Saddly, in the real world, sometimes you have to make terrible decisions. Decisions that will kill innocent people and without the ability know if there's a better option until it's all played itself out.

Regardless, I still wouldn't argue that in front of someone I thought had been personally affected by the bombing. Like the loss of a relative.

Because I wouldn't want to risk hurting them.

But not deliberately and recklessly saying hurtful things to people who are likely to be harmed by them or in places where those people will likely be... Is a long way from potentially offensive political arguments about an entire category of political opinion.

Even so. I've never said all trump voters are bad. I have always tried to be clear I am talking about a portion of trump voters. A large portion sure but not all.

I can understand still being offended. But as I've said I'm a lot more worried for emotional distress, and bringing needless trauma to vulnerable people than frustrating some trump supporters.

Every society
A large portion sure but not all.

Are you differentiating between supporters and people who voted for him? If not, ‘a large portion’ of 74,216,154 people is still a fuckload of ‘bad’ people.

I really was going to stay out of this, but...

I came to bluelight for drug support.

As did I.

I've spent a lot of time here on ceps but over time I've increasingly become more concerned about what silent harm it might be doing.

I've essentially had to stop posting it it completely for the sake of my own mental health.

I find other forums I need to stay out for the sake of my own mental health, but just because they may be detrimental to me doesn’t mean they may not be a positive resource for someone else. I don’t go in them, behave poorly, create conflict and then proceed to continually try to argue reasons against their existence all the while continually choosing to not engage in discussion about finding solutions to the problems. In the end, if it’s helping members of our community, even if it’s just the social support of the community, in my mind, it’s serving a valuable harm reduction service.

As did I.

I find other forums I need to stay out for the sake of my own mental health, but just because they may be detrimental to me doesn’t mean they may not be a positive resource for someone else. I don’t go in them, behave poorly, create conflict and then proceed to continually try to argue reasons against their existence all the while continually choosing to not engage in discussion about finding solutions to the problems. In the end, if it’s helping members of our community, even if it’s just the social support of the community, in my mind, it’s serving a valuable harm reduction service.

I'm going to reply to this in private.

As did I.

Now that I've given my private response, here's my public one.

You're not responding to my actual argument, you're saying my arguments against ceps worthwhileness are invalid because I have previously participated in a negative way.

That's a strawman. My concerns about how the things said in ceps hurt vulnerable people do not become invalid because some people deem things I've said to hurt the sensitive feelings per identity and persecution of... trump supporters..

all the while continually choosing to not engage in discussion about finding solutions to the problems.

I have tried countless times to engage in discussion.

I've been told there's no point, that no matter what I argue the debate is dead on arrival, I've been told that to discuss it at all is an insult to the mods, then when I've persisted I've been insulted.

Last edited:
Nowhere have I implied your arguments are invalid in any way.

Please see:

all the while continually choosing to not engage in discussion about finding solutions to the problems

Nowhere have I implied your arguments are invalid in any way.

Please see:

Except that's bs and you know it. You know I've started various discussions on this topic. You have seen people tell me straight up that regardless of what I argue, nothing I say will make a difference. You yourself have been shutting down my arguments right here, you're doing it now. Implying that because of my behavior in the past my arguments now aren't worth anything.

If you want me to point it out to you in private I will.

Right, in this specific case my concerns have been for various minorities that have been repeatedly targeted on ceps by certain users.

Black's, gays, transgender people, even drug users amazingly.

Now I'm only actually a member of one of those groups, and I would love to be wrong in my concerns. Then we could just let ceps be ceps, I won't post there. And we all deal with it.

My worry is that there are likely to be vulnerable people, especially given the nature of our service. That are being hurt and aren't coming forth with it because they might feel it's being implicitly condoned.

Something I find especially troubling is that we have a transgender thread, with a thousand posts and all sorts of horrible attacks. And yet... I don't think I've ever seen a single open transgender person post in it. (well to be more specific, openly a member of the specifically targeted subgroup)

Given this is a group that is especially likely to be vulnerable, and with an unusually high propensity of substance abuse problems. Well, I trust you can see why I worry about it?

Give me a break Jess.

You were hardly a model CEPS contributor.

Practice what you preach.

This is another strawman. Completely ignores my actual arguments and attacks the person making them instead.

Don't tell me I'm not trying to argue this. It's bs. I try to express genuine concern about a problem with the site. And rather than respond to the concerns several of you attack me instead.

That's a strawman response. Perhaps you've been on CEPS too long.

To clarify: I'm emotionally invested in posts about my drug problems and my family, but I'm not emotionally invested in political discussions.

You do come across as pretty emotionally invested in the free speech discussions.

And maybe more generally in winning the argument from time to time.

No shame in either of those things though.

ce2.png

This thread has run its course.

If anyone wants to continue the historical talk in CEPS, please do!

Status
Not open for further replies.