Open Discussion Bluelight mods engaging in harassment and trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you don't - all ya gotta do is click UNWATCH at the top of the thread that you posted in, and then you won't get the notifications anymore

The threads aren't watched. If someone quotes me though it will continue to notify me. Just as it did now. I don't have this thread on watch.

The threads aren't watched. If someone quotes me though it will continue to notify me. Just as it did now. I don't have this thread on watch.

but as soon as you post in a thread, it goes to watch until you unwatch right?

but as soon as you post in a thread, it goes to watch until you unwatch right?

No. Watched threads mean you get notified for any activity on the thread.

But even unwatched, if you've ever participated, someone may still either like a post of yours or quote it and cause you to get notified of it.

No. Watched threads mean you get notified for any activity on the thread.

But even unwatched, if you've ever participated, someone may still either like a post of yours or quote it and cause you to get notified of it.

ok i gotcha....

so ya know the other thing that can be done, if somebody gets too out of hand in a thread, you can take their privilege away from posting in that thread as a mod or admin, instead of banning anybody

im not too sure Priest deserved to be banned but maybe i missed a few posts that were deleted

i think i should be the supreme leader in CEPS to be honest but nobody ever listens to me

I admit when SLR was introduced to BL I was like 'wtf why are people asking for love advice on a drug harm reduction forum. Who the hell is an expert on anything besides drugs here'. I basically felt the same way about every subsequent sub forum not pertaining to drug use.

Every thread in the 'serious' sub forums seems to be dominated by whoever has smoked the most meth that day or has the most bigoted views (or worse, a combination), its pretty hard to have a civil discussion sometimes, so I stay out of it completely for the most part or just take the piss, makes it easier to cope 😀

Apologies for this borderline useless contribution.

I do have lots of respect for anyone willing to mod those forums though. I certainly wouldn't have the patience.
Agreed. OD, BDD, TDS. H & R, and MH is where I try and help with my limited knowledge. Makes it hard though when most of the questions are about missed shots, how can I take 20 different substances and not overdose, my meth is shit, I want to quit shooting heroin, but not really. and so on.

One tries to answer and give encouragement but usually they are the one and done posters that write a book about their problems and then disappear.

I still try because I care and have the free time but you are right. It's a thankless ( mod ) job and they indeed have more patience than I.

Last edited:
Srsly? That chauvin thread was totally devoid of racism and bigotry to you?

Re: strange impression, yeah I was generalising but hope I clarified in the above post.
After the Guilty verdict that thread went tits up. It probably should have been closed after the verdict. It turned into a hateful diatribe between the racial slurs, profiling, and all the chest pounding of the back and forth posters. It was doing well ( with the exception of a few posts ) and a lot of good points were made. Shame it went downhill so fast.

So, this thread was started about 'mods engaging in harassments and trolling' and has rambled on through 'why keep ceps?' which is a far reach from the OP.

It's helpful to get the public feedback on the health of any of our forums, whether it is keep/kill or how the moderation is going, or how the general member participation is going. A lot of which we get via Reported Posts (RPs), like recently in one of the drug forums members were asking for mods to help keep a thread on topic and maybe split some off topic replies out. Point being, member voices are important and should be heard. It doesn't mean they decide our path forward, but their concerns should be part of the consideration when any decision is taken. For that, on behalf of all the staff, we do thank those who have replied here - both members, and staff giving their opinions as members.

Staff will, naturally, have their own discussion and take these comments into consideration. In the meantime, I'll see if I can dig up some facts, maybe some stats, and come back - I trust the rest of you can maintain a dignificed and respectful discussion on either the moderations team being whack or on point, and the general benefit-cost of having such a forum on our site. All input is appreciated and welcome.*

*we need a list of who to ban next.

I've never found CEPS to be that bad honestly. It's probably where I've been posting most as of late, as I'm not really into mind-altering substances so much anymore. I do like the community here though, for the most part, which is why I still come around for discussions about politics or books or whatever. The political discussions here aren't always of the highest caliber but compared to the wider political discourse, I'd actually say that they're quite civil, for the most part

People get offended by some of the stuff I post in CEPS but I've never had an infraction for posting my political opinions because I don't break the rules. I don't insult people. I just say what I think.

At the end of the day - if you're offended by random people's opinions on a website - you need to try and realize that what they think doesn't matter.

There will always be opinions in the world that we don't like. It's not healthy (or realistic) to insist that the world shelters us from stuff we don't want to hear.

Furthermore: you're not going to change anybody's mind by telling them to shut up.

Personally, I'm happy to have discussions with people who are openly racist/homophobic/etc. I would mod CEPS less than it is currently moderated.

JessFR said:
Words hurt.

I'm bisexual. It doesn't hurt me when people say homophobic stuff. Why would I care? I know who I am. I'm not ashamed of my sexuality.

I've had great discussions in less moderated sections of the internet with people who are openly racist, including holocaust deniers and white supremacists. It's interesting hearing people try (and fail) to justify these bizarre fringe opinions.

People get offended by some of the stuff I post in CEPS but I've never had an infraction for posting my political opinions because I don't break the rules. I don't insult people. I just say what I think.

At the end of the day - if you're offended by random people's opinions on a website - you need to try and realize that what they think doesn't matter.

There will always be opinions in the world that we don't like. It's not healthy (or realistic) to insist that the world shelters us from stuff we don't want to hear.

Furthermore: you're not going to change anybody's mind by telling them to shut up.

Personally, I'm happy to have discussions with people who are openly racist/homophobic/etc. I would mod CEPS less than it is currently moderated.

I'm bisexual. It doesn't hurt me when people say homophobic stuff. Why would I care? I know who I am. I'm not ashamed of my sexuality.

I've had great discussions in less moderated sections of the internet with people who are openly racist, including holocaust deniers and white supremacists. It's interesting hearing people try (and fail) to justify these bizarre fringe opinions.

I submit you can't speak for all bisexuals anymore than I can speak for all straight people or all women.

Neither would I suggest that it would be wrong for you to have honest concerns on behalf of women just because you're not one.

I wasn't speaking for all bisexuals.

Neither would I suggest that it would be wrong for you to have honest concerns on behalf of conservatives just because you're not one.

I wasn't speaking for all bisexuals.

Neither would I suggest that it would be wrong for you to have honest concerns on behalf of conservatives just because you're not one.

Right, in this specific case my concerns have been for various minorities that have been repeatedly targeted on ceps by certain users.

Black's, gays, transgender people, even drug users amazingly.

Now I'm only actually a member of one of those groups, and I would love to be wrong in my concerns. Then we could just let ceps be ceps, I won't post there. And we all deal with it.

My worry is that there are likely to be vulnerable people, especially given the nature of our service. That are being hurt and aren't coming forth with it because they might feel it's being implicitly condoned.

Something I find especially troubling is that we have a transgender thread, with a thousand posts and all sorts of horrible attacks. And yet... I don't think I've ever seen a single open transgender person post in it. (well to be more specific, openly a member of the specifically targeted subgroup)

Given this is a group that is especially likely to be vulnerable, and with an unusually high propensity of substance abuse problems. Well, I trust you can see why I worry about it?

For the record, I like ceps. I think it can be a real shitshow sometime, but there is enough good faith (or at least like non-shouting) discussion that it is interesting.

There are definately bad actors there, but it kind of feels like being in a really sleazy bar and getting a totally new sample of humanity than I normally have.

For the record, I like ceps. I think it can be a real shitshow sometime, but there is enough good faith (or at least like non-shouting) discussion that it is interesting.

There are definately bad actors there, but it kind of feels like being in a really sleazy bar and getting a totally new sample of humanity than I normally have.

Which is all fine. I'd never suggest there shouldn't be some place somewhere where people can engage in such discussion. It's the heart of free speech.

I just don't see why it has to be here of all places is all.

EDIT: I don't wanna let myself get too dragged into this again. I just wanted to say, while I feel in reasonably articulate what bothers me ultimately.

I came to bluelight for drug support. I've spent a lot of time here on ceps but over time I've increasingly become more concerned about what silent harm it might be doing.

I've essentially had to stop posting it it completely for the sake of my own mental health.

And well, while I have certainly had enjoyable times with ceps. I wouldn't stay on bluelight if it were just ceps. Ceps is an activity. I stay here for drug reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.