R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Blended family- is it worth it?

astral_logic_

Greenlighter
Hi all,

Glad to visit here again- I used to moderate this forum back in 2014-15 under the usernames Mami and Cohesion.

This is a general bid for advice on my personal investments, including both my money and my time in relation to a 2-year relationship.

I am a single parent and I have been with another single parent in a blended family for two years. We moved in shortly after meeting. In June, we leased an apartment together; I moved out and we split the rent. I came into the relationship with a modest inheritance and he largely supported us. I paid about $1500/month in expenses. We traveled; he paid. I have been a buffer for his bad money management. He makes over 200K and I make about $20/hour, and will make $60K gross when I finish my MS in 1 year. I lended him $33K for his refinance.

We are still committed. And still, the relationship is tumultuous emotionally. My main complaint is that he is rude to my 11 year old. Another complaint is that I allowed him to use my time and put my career on the back burner while playing house wife. This moment in time has passed, but I am working on that resentment because I made that choice for myself although he encouraged it. My responsibility in this is that I was needy and allowed myself to be dominated.

He recently asked me to marry him. This happened right when his lender was pressuring a refinance decision. I said no because of how he treated me the next day. He was ranting, complaining, and being rude about my daughter. I didn’t want to feel trapped in that house. This is huge for me because I think that if there's one thing I want most in this life is to be married and have the security that comes with it. But I couldn't take the emotional stress. It creates health issues. So, rather than contributing to the mortgage and adding my name to the title; I said "no" to the marriage for a 7% interest rate on that 33K, along with my dignity. Wow.

An investment he has made in me is teaching me how to sing, play music, and to learn how to make friends. He is a musician and leads group sessions, and I have learned how to do this alongside him. I value this position very much. Because I am assisting in leadership, I receive a lot of subtle information from the participants on how I can improve my playing as well as my charisma. To forfeit this relationship is to forfeit this position. I am able to utilize his vast social circle. As someone who is deathly afraid of being alone, without friends and family, I'm afraid to leave it all.

We are trying this alternative model of relationship- living separately- we moved too quickly at the start- and seeing where things go. It doesn't look like he could stand living with her though. Isn't the point of a relationship to live together? We talked about creating a finished basement and making that my daughter's space. But if he continues to regard her like this, she will feel unwelcome throughout her teens, while living in the basement. She has not been a perfect kid, and he believes that she is doing things to get back at me and cause us to break up. This is his belief.

The primary question asks if it is worth it to invest 7 years' time in a relationship for the hopes of a future payoff, with all variables considered.

Future payoff, 7 years, variables -- 3 key words. If you already have these red flags, these far away wired thoughts I would suggest to give up because if there was a payoff you would know. All evilness to godness.

Do you even like this guy? Are you just doing it as an "investment"?

I really hope that's not how my love interest sees me.

We moved in shortly after meeting. In June, we leased an apartment together; I moved out and we split the rent.
This happened right when his lender was pressuring a refinance decision. I said no because of how he treated me the next day. He was ranting, complaining, and being rude about my daughter. I didn’t want to feel trapped in that house.
June last year? June 2018? When did you buy a house? Why would you refinance a house so early in a mortgage?

It's interesting that you've told us he thinks that your daughter doesn't like him and wants to break you up, but you haven't told us her opinion of him. That compatibility is important. Also, I feel like the relationship between your daughter and his child (gender? age?) is an important component here that isn't addressed.

It's hard for two former strangers to live close together. It's even harder for two pairs of former strangers to live together. All of the relationships matter.

Another complaint is that I allowed him to use my time and put my career on the back burner while playing house wife. This moment in time has passed, but I am working on that resentment because I made that choice for myself although he encouraged it.

It sounds like he supported you in your decision.

Where does your resentment really lay?

I wanted to quote on a bunch of things, but I’m just going to leave it at that. Everyone else made great points.

Ok.... so your husband thinks your daughter is acting out and trying to break you up?
1) is she?
2) even if she is. And knows what she is doing, you should be able to realize you’re the adults and that’s not going to happen unless you let it.
3) he is entitled to feel that way, if those are his actual feelings.

Listen, I’m not one really to be romanced. All this grooming that is done to little girls to make them believe that Prince Charming is out there somewhere is a fraud. You know that as well as I do.
While I think it’s smart and wise for families coming together to talk about certain things and have a certain plan in place; a lot of the shop talk can start to sound like a contract.
But ultimately, that’s what marriage is.
Love only goes so far.

That being said... it doesn’t even sound like you like this guy. For Whatever reason you want to use to decide to be with him or not is totally up to you. Youre the one that has to live with it. Or without for that matter.

Good luck.

I have a very large extended family on my Mother's side. Result of both my biological grandparents dying at one point and remarrying. It was basically 3-4 familys all at once. It was OK, normal family but large. It all kinda fell apart when both my step-grandparents died. The whole merged family thing kinda fell apart. The money stayed with the ones who had money - per the will of my step grandfather (aka his OWN immediate family). It is what it is. I haven't spoken with my cousins or any of them for years, and don't really care to.

I think you have your answer by the way he treats your kids, you’ve gotta ask who’s more important to you... If you marry him, your kids will think it’s him over them.

I grew up with one of “those” step dads, I wasn’t a fan of it.. It definitely hurt my already struggling relationship with my mom.

-GC

Hi all,

Glad to visit here again- I used to moderate this forum back in 2014-15 under the usernames Mami and Cohesion.

This is a general bid for advice on my personal investments, including both my money and my time in relation to a 2-year relationship.

I am a single parent and I have been with another single parent in a blended family for two years. We moved in shortly after meeting. In June, we leased an apartment together; I moved out and we split the rent. I came into the relationship with a modest inheritance and he largely supported us. I paid about $1500/month in expenses. We traveled; he paid. I have been a buffer for his bad money management. He makes over 200K and I make about $20/hour, and will make $60K gross when I finish my MS in 1 year. I lended him $33K for his refinance.

We are still committed. And still, the relationship is tumultuous emotionally. My main complaint is that he is rude to my 11 year old. Another complaint is that I allowed him to use my time and put my career on the back burner while playing house wife. This moment in time has passed, but I am working on that resentment because I made that choice for myself although he encouraged it. My responsibility in this is that I was needy and allowed myself to be dominated.

He recently asked me to marry him. This happened right when his lender was pressuring a refinance decision. I said no because of how he treated me the next day. He was ranting, complaining, and being rude about my daughter. I didn’t want to feel trapped in that house. This is huge for me because I think that if there's one thing I want most in this life is to be married and have the security that comes with it. But I couldn't take the emotional stress. It creates health issues. So, rather than contributing to the mortgage and adding my name to the title; I said "no" to the marriage for a 7% interest rate on that 33K, along with my dignity. Wow.

An investment he has made in me is teaching me how to sing, play music, and to learn how to make friends. He is a musician and leads group sessions, and I have learned how to do this alongside him. I value this position very much. Because I am assisting in leadership, I receive a lot of subtle information from the participants on how I can improve my playing as well as my charisma. To forfeit this relationship is to forfeit this position. I am able to utilize his vast social circle. As someone who is deathly afraid of being alone, without friends and family, I'm afraid to leave it all.

We are trying this alternative model of relationship- living separately- we moved too quickly at the start- and seeing where things go. It doesn't look like he could stand living with her though. Isn't the point of a relationship to live together? We talked about creating a finished basement and making that my daughter's space. But if he continues to regard her like this, she will feel unwelcome throughout her teens, while living in the basement. She has not been a perfect kid, and he believes that she is doing things to get back at me and cause us to break up. This is his belief.

The primary question asks if it is worth it to invest 7 years' time in a relationship for the hopes of a future payoff, with all variables considered.

Hi Cohesion I hope you are well. I remember you.

Is this the South Asian man who you were engaged or married to? Or someone else? I know that for many Asians marriage is the end all to be all, or the #1 life goal. But to Europeans and Westerners it is not that big of a deal and seems to be only done for legal purposes.

You can stay in a relationship, and not marry him. If I had children and a person who I was in a relationship with as a partner was mean to them and me, or wondered why I put my children first, I would not like this and would be suspicious, and either break up, and I would never marry them.

DO NOT combine any sort of finances with him. He probably has bad credit and the fact he had to see a lender or take out loans or something is not a good sign. Put away money into a Roth IRA for you and your daughter, in your name and with you as her custodian as she's not a legal adult. DO NOT spend or touch this money. DO NOT let this guy know you did this. If possible get a Post Box and have the financial information for you and your daughter sent there.

Also, if you have not done so already, start saving now for university tuition, and put away some of your money into an emergency savings account for you and your daughter for living expenses, etc. that this guy does NOT know about.

I know you love him but it is not your responsibility to help him with his financial mistakes, etc. focus on yourself and whatever you do, DO NOT combine finances with this guy. He will just use your $ for himself or his needs, and he makes a lot more money per year than you do so you are not required to fix his financial mistakes, be his financial safety-net, etc. He is an adult and should learn to budget and manage his own money. This is not being selfish on your part.

Last edited:
I have a very large extended family on my Mother's side. Result of both my biological grandparents dying at one point and remarrying. It was basically 3-4 familys all at once. It was OK, normal family but large. It all kinda fell apart when both my step-grandparents died. The whole merged family thing kinda fell apart. The money stayed with the ones who had money - per the will of my step grandfather (aka his OWN immediate family). It is what it is. I haven't spoken with my cousins or any of them for years, and don't really care to.
I am a part of small blended families like this with older relatives remarrying or having children with a partner who they are not married to.

What you described, is usually what happens. I don't have contact with most of my biological cousins, or we are not close at all.

Any updates? @astral_logic_ I don't mean you should break up with this guy. Just DO NOT combine finances, or do not give or 'lend' him any more money-I hope he is paying you back the €£$33k he owes you and he signed a legal contract saying he would do this-I know it may seem extreme but I have seen way too many people have a friend/partner/family member 'borrow' a large amount of money and never pay any of it back then they go to court to try to get the money back and are told how they did not sign a legal contract with the other person so the other person is not legally required to pay them the money borrowed. Do you have emails, bank statements, or texts about how he borrowed lots of money from you and said he would pay you back? Those can also be considered a contract.

I would not marry this guy as he is not nice to your daughter.

Are you close to the father of your daughter?

Last edited:
I would not marry him or live with him if he doesn't love your daughter like his own and it doesn't sound like he does
Our kids come first, it may be convenient for you guys but is it worth losing your relationship with your daughter?
I'm just speaking to my mother after I left at 16 because she moved a dick in

I agree. This is not good. Just stay friends. Also the fact you the fact you consider him an "investment" is enough to know you dont love him. Maybe just as a friend and continue learning music with him. Maybe some benefits if the mood is right. But nothing past.