• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Black Tar Heroin, how to filter until clear.

MurderofCrows

Greenlighter
Hi,

I have an international flight leaving tomorrow night, I was planning on putting some pre-made shots into some vials and storing them with my husband’s HGH solution as they have a similar appearance. The only problem is the color of the heroin is dark brown and my husband’s HGH is clear. Is there anyway I could filter it or perhaps mix it with something that would help get rid of the color a bit? I apologize if I do a poor job of explaining my question, I had a couple of seizures yesterday so I am a little slow mentally as a result.

Thank you very much, I appreciate any guidance or advice you may have to offer.
💉🖤

Yea of course we can’t offer advice on smuggling drugs, but in regards to clarity of the solution micron filter would be the first place to start.

Always could dilute the solution more too but then you’ve got more to work with and the heroin will slowly degrade to 6-MAM then eventually morphine via hydrolysis.

There’s other ways but nothing the average person could do..

-GC

No, we can't give you help smuggling, besides it's just a bad idea.

You won't be able to get rid of the color without purification of the product. Even then it would probably take a decent chemist to get rid of the color from tar H.

If this thread goes in the more fruitful direction of discussing strategies for generally filtering impurities out of black tar heroin and getting as clean a solution as possible, then I do have some suggestions.

But I know of no way to make a clear solution out of BTH at home. (A borderline-tan/beige translucent solution is the lightest I've ever seen, and that was pretty dilute by most injectors' standards.) And of course I don't really know how well vials of this will work for international travel...

Last edited:
The clarity of your shot is completely dependent upon the components (filler, cut, etc.) of your heroin. I’ve had shots that cook up very dark and sometimes the consistency can be thicker than the average. On the other hand, I’ve had shots that cook up completely transparent, but keep in mind the color will still vary in the brown color range. The best advice I can offer, in terms of clarity, would be to filter it a couple times. Hopefully, this simple method alone, will eventually clear out as much of the impurities as possible. In addition, I must agree with everyone above, and advice that you don’t attempt to smuggle any illicit drugs on a flight. The consequences are extreme and not worth it. Instead, I would take this trip as an opportunity to start your journey to sobriety (given that’s something you want). Try and procure some methadone or subs to hold you over for the duration of the trip. It may seem like hell, but who knows? Maybe when you return home, you’ll have a renewed outlook on your usage. Time spent sober will have a marked impact on your mental state and general outlook. It may just be a cleansing in disguise! Best of luck! Truly!♥️

Sometimes, activated carbon (very finely powdered, chemically treated, purified charcoal) can be effective at decolorizing as long as you are talking about small amounts of a very colored impurity. It was used in the highest quality LSD syntheses, and is a regular procedure in pharmaceutical chemistry to this day. Usually you dissolve your colored material in a solvent, add some activated carbon, bring it ta boil, and filter. If the conditions are right and the forces of adsorbtion are on your side, you can go from a strongly colored solution to clear and water-white. It may not work very well for black tar though, that contains a lot of plant material and other polymeric stuff.

The better option is acid/base extraction. Assuming your stuff is real heroin and not cut with fentanyl, that can do a good job at removing all the colored stuff and other impurities in black tar. Erowid has a good procedure for that. but it is a bit of an involved process.

Yea of course we can’t offer advice on smuggling drugs, but in regards to clarity of the solution micron filter would be the first place to start.

Always could dilute the solution more too but then you’ve got more to work with and the heroin will slowly degrade to 6-MAM then eventually morphine via hydrolysis.

There’s other ways but nothing the average person could do..

-GC
Black tar already is 6mam

Sometimes, activated carbon (very finely powdered, chemically treated, purified charcoal) can be effective at decolorizing as long as you are talking about small amounts of a very colored impurity. It was used in the highest quality LSD syntheses, and is a regular procedure in pharmaceutical chemistry to this day. Usually you dissolve your colored material in a solvent, add some activated carbon, bring it ta boil, and filter. If the conditions are right and the forces of adsorbtion are on your side, you can go from a strongly colored solution to clear and water-white. It may not work very well for black tar though, that contains a lot of plant material and other polymeric stuff.

The better option is acid/base extraction. Assuming your stuff is real heroin and not cut with fentanyl, that can do a good job at removing all the colored stuff and other impurities in black tar. Erowid has a good procedure for that. but it is a bit of an involved process.
That is what I was going to say.dissolve in water then charcoal filter.if that doesn't make it clear (doubtful but worth trying) or learn how to do a a/b extraction.or dissolve in slightly acidic water and wash with hot xylene/toluene/hexanes to get any nonpolar shit out followed by charcoal filter then micron filter.but I think a/b + recrystallization is the only way u r gonna get the Colour out.possibly a dual solvent recrystallization might work.firstly make sure your tar is a salt and not a freebase then dissolve in minimum amount of hot ethanol then drop by drop add toluene xylene or hexane until nothing more precipitates then filter while still hot

Black tar already is 6mam

It’s a mixture of diacetylmorphine, 6-MAM, morphine, and other alkaloids present in the poppy that made it through. Your right a lot of it is mainly 6-MAM, but it varies tremendously depending on how it was acetylated.

-GC

I once used .22 micron luer lock syringe filters with black tar heroin, but only after it was made into a solution did it pull up light yellow.

It’s a mixture of diacetylmorphine, 6-MAM, morphine, and other alkaloids present in the poppy that made it through. Your right a lot of it is mainly 6-MAM, but it varies tremendously depending on how it was acetylated.

-GC
The only way tar is acetylated is with glacial acetic acid and it only produces
6mam no diacetylmorphine

The only way tar is acetylated is with glacial acetic acid and it only produces
6mam no diacetylmorphine

Some of the time... Acetic anhydride and other better acetylating compounds aren’t exactly rocket science to make. The only analysis on EData supports my statement with diacetyl being the main component and the mono being trace.

Everyone wants to think glacial is always used. It’s much smarter for them to just go with acetic anhydride because the chances of incomplete conversion are too high using just glacial. They’re already giving you impure as fuck tar, it’d be a kick in the nuts of conversion went shit and it was mostly morphine too.

-GC

No it is not... It is from the fact they use impure crude starting material, not pure/nearly pure morphine. This is evidenced by the remaining alkaloids present like codeine.

The impurities are the same ones found in opium that give it the gummy sticky texture. Once run through the acetylation it changes, often a lot of it “burning” off or turning to carbon. This is why the purity is a fair amount higher than opium too.

If you acetylate pure morphine with GAA it will not be a tar..

I just provided an analysis that proves my point. Where’s your evidence?

-GC

Dark name.. In my experience, with #3, even with a 22u filter, it's pretty much impossible to turn heroin into a clear solution.

I don't have access to my files on this stuff ATM but Wikipedia says:
6-MAM can be synthesized from morphine using glacial acetic acid with an organic base as a catalyst. The acetic acid must be of a high purity (97–99 per cent) for the acid to properly acetylate the morphine at the 6th position effectively creating 6-MAM. Acetic acid is used rather than acetic anhydride, as acetic acid is not strong enough to acetylate the phenolic 3-hydroxy group but is able to acetylate the 6-hydroxy group, thus selectively producing 6-MAM rather than heroin. Acetic acid is a convenient way to produce 6-MAM, as acetic acid also is not a watched chemical as it is the main component of vinegar.
Black tar as a type holds a variable admixture morphine derivatives—predominantly 6-MAM (6-monoacetylmorphine), which is another result of crude acetylation. The lack of proper reflux during acetylation fails to remove much of the moisture retained in the acetylating agent, glacial acetic acid.

This failure to keep water out without a reflux condenser would cause the aa to hydrolyze from atmospheric moisture partly into gaa.

But it also says:
Black tar heroin is a free base form of heroin that is sticky like tar or hard like coal. Its dark color is the result of crude processing methods that leave behind impurities. Despite its name, black tar heroin can also be dark orange or dark brown in appearance. It is generally less expensive than other forms of heroin.[1]

Black tar heroin is impure morphine diacetate. Other forms of heroin require additional steps of purification post acetylation. With black tar the product's processing stops immediately after acetylation. Its unique consistency however is due to acetylation without a reflux apparatus. As in homebake heroinin Australia and New Zealand the crude acetylation results in a gooey mass.

If the process stops immediately after acetylation it wouldn't be a freebase as stated in the first sentence.so there's contradictions on this one.

But tar smells like vinegar doesn't it?
The brown Afghani I used to get smelled more like pickles (acetic anhydride smell) not vinegary at all.

Last edited:
As I understand it, tar can be made using either method, (extended acetic acid cook or rxn with AA) - I could swear some BTH was literally just opium reacted with acetic anhydride, because there is indeed heroin present. If you use a slight excess of acetanhydride (and/or run rxn in a dry climate) the small amount of hydrolysis wouldn't be an issue (getting glassware scrupulously dry is not difficult, and drying tubes which exclude moisture from a reaction are standard apparatus in any lab). I also think that some heroin can be formed with straight acetic acid reflux, but it's not an economical amount, I don't think it's over 10%.

In any case BTH should have alkaloids present as the acetate salt, or less likely maybe the meconate salt (the natural salt found in opium is morphine meconate)

Acetic anhydride and vinegar/glacial acetic acid smell quite similar but not identical, I couldn't describe how though. Acetic acid is more "sharp" and stinging?

I'll point out a lot of the local bay area dope smells like opium when it's good. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lazy reaction like sekio said.

Edit: I've also been using wheel filters and while the color isn't removed it's definitely a huge difference from even a 5 miceon sterilfilt tip.