Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Social Justice Black Lives Matter Discussion Thread

deficiT

Moderator: DC, TDS, NSADD
Staff member
UBI is a good idea, but it likely wouldn't be enough to replace all other social services like some would like to think. And it definitely shouldn't exclude any race of people.

bmf666

Bluelighter
Our country already can’t afford to operate like it does and I already pay way to much in taxes the last thing we need is more free crap. I wonder when all this fails you people crying about how bad we have it actually realize we where living good
UBI is a good idea, but it likely wouldn't be enough to replace all other social services like some would like to think. And it definitely shouldn't exclude any race of people.

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
@bmf666,

The United States is the biggest economy in the world. It can afford welfare. The question isn't whether or not these payments are sustainable, but rather whether they do any good. I don't believe giving people free money helps them in the long run, but there are exceptions to this. Some people need assistance. Unfortunately, most of the people that receive assistance don't need it. As for income tax, the US is similar to most Western countries. Very close to New Zealand. Australian income tax is actually much higher than the US for the upper class... but I don't think any Western English speaking country has a 50% income tax.

In order to clear 200k in the USA, you'd have to earn about 318k not 400k.

EDIT: Fuck me, Sweden has a 57% bracket. Count your blessings.

Last edited:

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
Admittedly, I was not aware of state tax. Fucking hell. Why does anyone live in the US? Seriously. I always thought the relatively low income tax rate made up somewhat for the additional medical costs. Apparently not. (Not sure why I would include property tax or sales tax?)

JessFR

Sr. Moderator: AADD, H&R, TDS
Staff member
Admittedly, I was not aware of state tax. Fucking hell. Why does anyone live in the US? Seriously. I always thought the relatively low income tax rate made up somewhat for the additional medical costs. Apparently not. (Not sure why I would include property tax or sales tax?)

It's because we are brainwashed from a young age to believe that we live in the best country in the world and that everywhere else in the world dreams of coming to America.

Americans otherwise don't think too much about the rest of the world so they often don't realize how subpar things actually are compared to the other wealthy western countries.