• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Birthdays to celebrate or not to celebrate?

Birthday Week

The only way to truly have an awesome birthday is to have the birthday week...see, the problem with birthday parties is that you invariably end up trying to fit in ALL your friends/family/acquaintances whatever in the same room, and there will always be tears when that happens. Or boredom at least.

Thus, the Birthday Week...you have time for...

*family dinner (presents people, PRESENTS!!!)
*quiet dinner with non-clubbing friends
*sexual/romantic misadventures if so inclined
*hardk0re drinking night, and....
*hardk0re umm...other indulgences..night =D

Everyone's happy, and it's especially good as you start creeping out of your 20's as certain little begoggled bluelighters are beginning to do, because it gives you something to look forward to rather than something to dread.... =D%)

oh yeah! big fan of the bday week right here! :D

It can sometimes extend for around 10 days ... but after too long, your friends and family get sick of you cashing in on the birthday goodness.

i've only had one birthday party, and it was when i was 6 at mcdonalds. birthdays arent a huge deal in my family, one gift, a "happy birthday" when you wake up and thats about it.

then again, thats how i prefer it. it's just another day you're alive

Happy birthday to those having their birthdays real soon.. ;)

I used to love my birthdays, well sorta still do cause there's always something big going on every year. I got to see fireworks 3 years in a row when I went out to party's with my parents when I was younger and now, I just club hard with my friends. Now, I kinda dread my birthday cause it reminds me of how old I am... :s

But yea like BobGirl said.. 18 and 21st are really two big years that one should celebrate... :p

I'm one for always celebrating my birthday. What better excuse for getting your friends together and havinga great time.

This year (my 23rd) we did a late lunch, then cocktails at the Bank hotel.

So many of my fave nights out have been friend's birthdays.

You only live once, why not make the most of it :)

^ exactly. It's about the only time I can manage to get most of my friends in the same place at the same time. We have a kind of reverence for birthdays. You have to go. Other shit... not so important. :D

definitely.

i'm a total narcissist, so to have an entire day when everyone is thinking just the same as me (or at least pretending to ;)) is bloody fantastic :D

Birthdays - When do they stop meaning anything?

Last friday I "celebrated" and i use the term losely, my 20th birthday. It was meant to be this big gala event, talked about for weeks and weeks in advance. Everyone was going to be there, old friends from school days, friends from my time working in hospitality, everybody i knew promised they'd be there with bells on.

I've never really been too big on my own birthday celebrations but I have to admit, I was bubbling with anticipation of how good the day/night was going to be. Seeing all these friends who care about me and want to celebrate with me. You see, I don't really have what you'd call a 'nuclear' family and i consider my friends the closest people to me. I took the day off work and spent the day preparing.

Throughout the day I was expecting txt messages and maybe even a phone call or two to wish a happy birthday. I did get a phone call from my brother in Sydney, which was cool. Other than that, a card in the mail from Mum. As the day went on, i did start to receive some messages, one by one, a couple of friends saying they couldn't make it. I thought, 'hey, thats cool. There's still plenty of people coming.'

It got to the night time and i was with 2 friends as we went out. We went to the bar where everyone was meant to meet up and ordered a couple of drinks and waited.....

And waited, and waited and waited.....not a soul turned up.... I was so depressed....

I ended up being a grumpy shit all night and went home feeling very empty. I guess the pinnacle of all this was this morning when I received an email from my dad, whom i haven't heard from in over 6 months, telling me how great it is living in the snowy mountains.... I didn't even know he'd left Queensland. And he's email failed to even mention a belated happy birthday.

I guess I'm just having a big whinge and feeling a bit sorry for myself, but I was wondering if Birthdays have lost meaning for anyone else as they've got older or their families have drifted further apart.

Thanks for letting me babble... :)

There is already a thread covering this subject - I'll merge it together

awww Pickled that sucks. :(

Don't worry, people tend to make a big deal about your 21st [even though I don't really see why.] 20 is kind of that nothing year...
Oh and...

Happy late birthday!!

Yeah that completely sucks Pickled. No one deserves that kind of shabby treatment.

You should get rid of those old friends and move to Sydney and make some all *NEW* and *IMPROVED* friends!

aw pickled, that's shit. but try not to take it too badly - plenty of people have been in similar situations and it doesn't mean that people don't like you or don't care about you. there's so many other things that come into it: people with lots of homework, no money...and of course, when you decide to bail on your mate's party, you're always thinking "it's okay, 'cause *everyone else* will still go". just have a quiet whinge about it to your mates and you'll be assured of a kick arse party next time around :D

btw, i got about two messages on my birthday too, it sucks but hey...remember shit like that is kinda hard ;)

I cant be fucked with birthdays any more.
I don't want people making a huge fuss over me
I don't want to clean up their vomit afterwards
I might celebrate my birthday this year. If I do, I can guarantee it will be a meat-fest at some restaurant. And then, probably only with my immediate family. That would be it though.