• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

nuke

Bluelighter
Can't say I like running very much, but I love biking around, trying to move as fast as the cars, wind in your hair...it's exhilarating. =D

Represent. :)

yup i am liking this thread. Biking is awesome when i ride its a pleasent feeling of freedom.

its my fav form of exercise as its not boring and you can go long distances so its practical. i jus wish i didn live in toronto not the nicest place to bike but hopefully ill move to b.c. soon.

Biking in the area of my house is likely to get you killed, it's dangerous enough in a car with all the semi truck coming halfway over the double yellow in a tiny two lane country road with drop offs on either side.

Other than that, biking fucking rocks! Off road is my favorite, there are some nice trails in the vicinity of my home base and damn is it fun to bomb down these hills through thick and thin, hill and vale, across and down dry and wet creek beds. I'd like to die in a wicked bike crash, I'd die in a rush :)

I thought someone may start a thread like this, I was going to actually do the same but I'd be a serial personal interest spammer.. guess I am anyway :)

I recently aquired myself a racer, Cannondale R900. Damn nice road bike which I've just been using to commute to work (which took me a little getting used to, clipless pedals are a health hazard).

Longest ride I've been on is only around 30km, I need to get down and do some distance.. that bike is so damn nice to ride.. and fast!

I'm guessing that given the other running thread you can see where my interest in bikes is going.. triathlons/duathlons :)

Are you folks mostly MTB downhill/offroad riders or there there some serious lyrcra wearing goons with funny shoes and helmets here as well? :)

I pretty much only bike around the city...and even if I were to leave that, it'd just be mostly flat all around unfortunately (midwest). I miss the rolling hills of the east coast sometimes, but I guess from a transportation standpoint it's ideal.

I wish I could ride a bike like that around here, too.. there's not much point in a city, having anything that looks >$150 will guarantee it'll be stolen

I used to bike everywhere for years (it was my only transport!), then along came more advanced methods, such as motorbikes and cars, and my poor old faithful bike was neglected for the warm and comfort:D

Last week I recently rediscovered biking again and it was Fantastic=D =D

I seemed to remember it used to be a lot harder, but now it just seems fun, fun, fun. Planning a trip to a local bike track at the weekend... scare off those BMXers:p

I ride to work - about 20km each way - between 2 and 4 days a week. I bought a second hand Shogun MTB a few years ago and have replaced stuff as it falls apart - which is almost everything except the frame, brakes (although of course the pads have been replaced) and gears now!

The shift in distance happened about a year ago - before that I was riding only a few km each way. My fitness level has improved dramatically!! I ride mostly on bike paths, which adds about 5km to the total distance, but much more enjoyable. It is quite cold at the moment, which is actually good because I can cane it without sweating too much. Also very lucky to work somewhere that has a shower...

Biking is one of the few methods of excercising that I actually find entertaining. It's a great time to strengthen the legs and gather the thoughts.

I also love to ride, and I own an Avanti MTB with slick tyres (1.5"). It's pretty fast and I can ride really aggressively in the urban environment. A couple of times a year I put the knobbys on and head up to the hills although there aren't big ones around here...

Where do you cyclists buy jeans? I'm a 34" waist, but the only jeans which fit my thighs are 36" - 38". I have pretty big legs, and love to do leg press, squats, etc at the gym - but buying jeans is IMPOSSIBLE. any tips?

got a trek 1100.
I like to hit the Oakland hills like 5 times a week.
My record travelling downhill is 47.9 MPH. Holy shit. :)

I would mountainbike, but I can't afford one at this point. On the bright side, I'm having a blast with a borrowed MTB while I'm here in Portland.

>>
Where do you cyclists buy jeans? I'm a 34" waist, but the only jeans which fit my thighs are 36" - 38". I have pretty big legs, and love to do leg press, squats, etc at the gym - but buying jeans is IMPOSSIBLE. any tips?>>

I quit on the jeans and just buy my pants "baggy style". Nonetheless, yeah, they do fit funny.

ebola

I forgot to add, per one of the posters, I don't really do the bike gear.

I don't wear spandex. I don't have clipless or clipped pedals. I usually wear a helm though (I like my brain and have indeed already been in an accident where it came in handy).

ebola

Heh. I've got full riding bibs with padded shorts and jersey along with some Pearl Izumi shoes.. not everyones cup of tea though, however, riding in normal clothing would suck arse on my bike.

I love biking, nothing beats the feeling of wind from the fan hitting your face while watching a good dvd.

Not at all.
I have a friend who's aiming to go pro, and he claims I would be class C material on a college team at my current level of fitness.
Still, I think that if I made biking into a routinized sport, it would suck the fun out of it for me.

ebola

100 or so miles a week here.
ebola, try boot cut or relaxed fit jeans.

Competition is fun, though. I guess each to their own, but honestly, after competing in running events I can't wait to get into tri's/iron mans.

This is an old hobby that I've recently started again. Riding bikes was one of my favorite things to do as a child. My boyfriend is really into mountain biking and flatland, so I thought it would be something fun we could to together. I started riding my dad's mountain bike, but it's a crappy bike and kept fucking up, so my bf helped me pick out a nice lower priced Gary Fisher mountain bike.

I love it! It's the nicest bike I've ever owned and it rides so smoothly and the gears actually work! I moved to Cleveland not too long ago and I have found this to be a great way to check out my area because I can cover so much more ground than walking or jogging and driving isn't much fun.

We've done some trails, but I'm not in the best shape yet and they're pretty hard for me, but I still do the best I can.

Hooray for bikes!

I absolutely love my custom GT i-Drive.

It's a frankensteinian monster of two different frames (the front frame is blue, from an i-2K Special Edition hand-built frame; the black rear triangle is from my original i-Drive 1500 which allows me to run a rear disc brake. The color combo led to its official codename (as with its predecessor, a GT STS-1500 Carbon full suspension bike -- called "The Shuttle" after the space shuttle which uses an STS-xxx designation for each mission): "The Bruiser." :)

The Bruiser has an Easton Monkeylite 1.5-inch rise, 26 inch wide carbon fiber handlebar at a mere 175 grams....syncros stem, Marzocchi Z1-QR20 fork with 5 inches of super-plush travel and a super-rigid 20mm through-axle front wheel....Thomson superlight aluminum seatpost, Ti-railed ergonomic-race style saddle to protect my poor chronic-pain-inflamed pelvis, IRC TrailBear 2.3 armored-sidewall kevlar bead enduro tires with nice solid all-conditions tread reminiscent of an off-road moto but still fairly lightweight....the best part probably is the custom Stratos Helix Pro dual Coil/Low-Pressure Air Spring w/oil damping rear shock.....which maxes out the original i-Drive design to over 6 inches of rear travel and extremely plush, tunable travel at that. I run most of the extra travel, versus the 4.6in. stock setup, as negative travel for really rough terrain so that the finely tuned i-Drive system can stay close to its designed height/angle.

In fact, I gotta go ride the Bruiser now. Severe chronic pain or not, I miss that beast and she deserves to be ridden!