• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

i pointlessly relapsed on dope last night. i used where i copped, didn’t properly account for drop in tolerance, and on the bike ride home i fell asleep not once but three times. i’m extremely fortunate that i’m fine other than some big bruises and my hands being all torn up. especially because i forgot my helmet. and for not getting arrested. good karma because my dope connect gave me an unexpected $5 back in change so i bought a homeless guy a sandwich on my way out from using the grocery store bathroom.

what’s not fortunate is my bike is fucked up. after the last crash it would barely even roll. afraid to look at it this morning.

Shit happens, everybody relapses. Call yourself fortunate to be alive :) How are you feeling personally?

Whats exactly wrong with your bike?

main problem is the front got bent. i hit one of those cement highway dividers. i’m not sure where exactly it got bent. i can just tell it’s all outta line. i’m happy i didn’t knock my teeth out, split my head open, or get the cops called on me. because when i say fell asleep, i don’t mean nodded out for a second. i mean straight up fell asleep on a moving bike.

yeah, i’m not gonna get too upset about this hiccup. i felt horrible when i woke up. i narcaned myself before going to bed because i was throwing up and didn’t wanna asphyxiate. which didn’t put me in withdrawal because that was the first time i used in months. after breakfast, coffee, and a xanax i’m feeling a lot better. planning on throwing the gram away and getting back on track right away.

Fell asleep on a bike? Id want to see that lol.

Honestly Im glad you didnt die.

Throw it the fuck away.

Can you bike now that the front is bent? I mean my bike is broken but I like it so I use it.

na, damage is structural. if there’s a way to bend steel, i don’t know it (other than crashing into a cement block). i’m meeting someone today to get another off craigslist.

got a good deal on the gram but it’s costing me a lot more in collateral damage. still super thankful i didn’t get picked up by the boys or bust my face open. you should see my hand though — looks like a bloody ballon. live and learn, again and again.

craigslist bike was a size too small.

i went to the trek store and test drove a 2020. not sure i deserve a brand new bike given how i messed up my old one, but there have been some design improvements made over the last 30 years. it’s my primary mode of transportation and a lot cheaper than a car.

or i could buy a new front wheel. far as i can tell that’s the only thing significantly bent. after re-aligning the wheel to the handlebars, rode it all over town tonight and didn’t notice anything except my front wheel is no longer a circle.

Last edited:
If you can "fix" the bike by changing the wheel I definitely would recommend doing so.

Gonna be biking 10 miles again today.

Nothing, it's just old and worn out like me. lol

The chainring is worn as is the whatever the back one is called making shifting not so fun.

i have no idea why i bought such an expensive commuter bike. going to be a pain not messing it up or getting it stolen. fucking mania.

turns out they have a seven day return policy, so i returned it and got all cash back.

Last edited:
got my 700 back from the shop today. also did a 29 mile ride for exercise on the jamis in addition to commuting around on the 700. highlights include a 14 mile strava segment at over 19 mph and a half mile flat segment at just over 26mph (putting me close to 250th out of the 10,000 individual personal bests for that segment logged on strava so far this year). obviously the wind was brutal one direction and complimentary in the other.

Gonna get back to my longer biking trips next week. Been depressed few weeks now and I hope the biking will help. Biked like 20-30 miles this week so far.

damn, that’s cold. i’ve only been biking for transportation as of late. it’s easier to dress appropriate for that.

i changed a flat for the first time today. on my rear wheel. was feeling accomplished until i put the wheel back on. for some reason the back breaks are now severely fucked. after messing around with it for a bit, i’ve solved nothing. was getting so mad it felt like i was about to have an aneurism. i’m stepping away and will approach it fresh tomorrow.