• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

after getting a flat, i took in my bike in with the original 1992 multi-track matrix 700 x 35 tires. while replacing the tube, mechanic said the tire was rotting and more flats were in my future if i didn't replace. i did get about 500 miles on them before that flat. it wasn't a puncture. while cutting through a park, a spazing dog ran in front of me and, in my swerve, i got caught in a rut between the cement and grass. fortunately didn't go down.

replaced with michelin dynamic sport tires, 28mm. completely slick, as i ride 99 percent on road for commute. for some reason websites call them "semi-slick," but there's no tread whatsoever. they're what the shop recommended. he said i could spend more, but the price would be the primary difference. only have five miles on them -- back from the bike shop, barely beating a rain storm -- so not yet entirely sure what i think of them.

after my 30-something year old act that came with my craigslist bike went on the fritz, i picked an edge 830. went with it over the cheaper 820 because reviews said the 820 could be problematically sluggish. while biking is quickly teaching me the city in a way driving never would, i still end up lost from time to time. pulling out a cellphone while riding is a hassle. hopefully this fixes that. in addition, i'm interested in the different training features (though i'd need to buy and actually use a hrt monitor to get the most out of them).

gave it a test run last night, and while i still have a lot to learn about it's features, it did its job.

cost more than my bike, but it appears to be very easy to move from one bike to the next. also rei has a dope return policy. usually one year, but 90 days for outdoor electronics. that's generous and more than enough time to determine if i made a good purchase. and i got $40 bucks credit ($40 back + $20 gift card - $20 onetime signup fee with no dues) for becoming a lifetime member.

reversed the out-front mount that came with it to get the placement i desire. rolled some electrical tape around the area first as my handlebars were not thick enough for even the larger spacer. electrical tape to the right of the mount was added in addition to the tape under the mount because it's hot enough the adhesive melts and it was sliding to the right. i'm sure there's something better to add to keep it in place -- maybe a zip tie -- but that's working for now.

returned the 830 and got the 830 bundle package. with a heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, and additional speed sensor (supposed to be more accurate than GPS alone). silly stuff, but the machine wants its sensors.

love my new thinner, slicker tires. it does look like they are wearing fast.

kinda torn between this and nutty's tread, but i don't wanna overrun his log. @leet, let's see your bike.

also i dislike my new, thin slick tires. yeah they are great when the pavement is pristine, but on an unmaintained road i'm in a constant state of controlled crash.

Voodoo Marassa hybrid bike, new to me in 2013

I'm selling it having just put two new tyres and replaced brake cables and a new chain. I'm going electric and can't wait!

Me and that bike have been everywhere together.

i want to go right now but i might
settle for xanax instead
FM6Kbua.png

^do both! benzos and bikes for the win. took some etizolam today before hopping on my bike and running morning errands. not that i advocate benzo use. but you know, if that’s the path you’ve chosen.

beautiful ride, leet. sure it’s bittersweet to let it go. electric for commuting, deeper trail rides, or?

whoa i might fall but other than that i dunno.☺
i am going to see if the energy drink helps me move for starterz.
xanax and hylight = biking dead on the trail.
loooooool ?
i might give it a try someday.
can it involve cardiac interference or. . . . could it take hours instead of minutes. . . ..

@hydroazuanacaine

I just want to go further, on a ride I do 12 -15 miles, sometimes a leisurely 6, I should do 20 - 25 miles a ride and not have to count the hills with an electric bike.

BUT I'll be confined to road trips and light off roading with it - I can get pretty nearly everywhere on the carrera because I can just put it on my shoulder and carry it over obstacles, up slopes etc, the electric bike will be too heavy for that.

Can't afford two bikes either, I've had a great offer on the carrera and the electric is the most I've ever spent on a bike by a country mile

after getting a flat, i took in my bike in with the original 1992 multi-track matrix 700 x 35 tires. while replacing the tube, mechanic said the tire was rotting and more flats were in my future if i didn't replace. i did get about 500 miles on them before that flat. it wasn't a puncture. while cutting through a park, a spazing dog ran in front of me and, in my swerve, i got caught in a rut between the cement and grass. fortunately didn't go down.

replaced with michelin dynamic sport tires, 28mm. completely slick, as i ride 99 percent on road for commute. for some reason websites call them "semi-slick," but there's no tread whatsoever. they're what the shop recommended. he said i could spend more, but the price would be the primary difference. only have five miles on them -- back from the bike shop, barely beating a rain storm -- so not yet entirely sure what i think of them.
Damn dog!! My cyclocross has 700 x 35s. Cool stuff. My Fuji has like 28mm but it is falling apart. You're a real road warrior then? I hate commuting in wet conditions. I usually don't but like yesterday I got soaked coming home from an interview. I would have taken the bus if I knew it was raining and I was working that day. Maybe I need to soldier up here and be a road warrior too?

electrified mojo !
YA BABY! YA!

I feel a need to share a song for that. I was gonna go with something Austin Powers soundtrack but really it's not feeling right and mojo is more original to The Doors now isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong or annoying.

Black Betty screams electrified mojo now doesn't it?

@hydroazuanacaine

I just want to go further, on a ride I do 12 -15 miles, sometimes a leisurely 6, I should do 20 - 25 miles a ride and not have to count the hills with an electric bike.

BUT I'll be confined to road trips and light off roading with it - I can get pretty nearly everywhere on the carrera because I can just put it on my shoulder and carry it over obstacles, up slopes etc, the electric bike will be too heavy for that.

Can't afford two bikes either, I've had a great offer on the carrera and the electric is the most I've ever spent on a bike by a country mile
I see bikes with motors of some kind all over here. I can't say an electric bike is a bad idea, no it is a fabulous idea. But honestly when you have a motor on a cycle it's cheating? Oh whatever right don't worry I'm not a stuck up cyclist who hates cheaters.

@ProfessrHyperdimensional

Cheating? :ROFLMAO: On an e-bike? Hahaha I'm not in the Tour de France

[link]www/youtube:tourdefrancekraftwerk73469869457y /youtube[link] lol

Prof, I just float about high on drugs you see

Last edited:
Damn dog!! My cyclocross has 700 x 35s. Cool stuff. My Fuji has like 28mm but it is falling apart. You're a real road warrior then? I hate commuting in wet conditions. I usually don't but like yesterday I got soaked coming home from an interview. I would have taken the bus if I knew it was raining and I was working that day. Maybe I need to soldier up here and be a road warrior too?
i don't have a job so it's easy right now. if it's raining outside i can go wherever i need to go later. or i can show up wet, because anytime i have an appointment i'm paying them not the other way around. and i can wear whatever i want because, again, no one is paying me to do otherwise. still, i get caught in the rain all the time. i got two headlights on my bike and if i'm gonna be out for a while i carry a spare taillight. if i got lights and a helmet, nothing else really matters. well gps, but between my garmin and my cellphone at least one will have battery. i get everywhere on time with a bike. bus is the opposite. if i'm about to be late, on my bike i can change that.

nice you're interviewing! i took the bus to an interview today. because i didn't want to bike in what has to be worn for an interview. get all sweaty. i fucking hate being sweaty. take like three showers a day. wherever i get hired either needs to have a shower or be gym adjacent.

biking disconnects you from the city a little bit. i was playing chess on my phone after my interview waiting for the bus, and for a second i was like, "someone could run by and grab my phone." then i realized i was being crazy. not because someone couldn't grab my phone, but because who the fuck was going to and who cares. you're by yourself when you're biking. like driving. disconnects you. bad for my photography. but it's worth it. it's fun as fuck. i haven't been doing it very long and i'm already good. i was going down an alleyway and there was truck unloading. so slim space between the wall and the truck. a month ago i'd have gotten off my bike. today, slid right by without slowing down. i'll always keep perspective though. i hope. i see some people who you can tell feel invincible because they've been biking so long do some rude and dumb stuff.

anyway, let's see some more bikes. mine's out on the road and i'm probably gonna leave it there tonight -- perks of a craigslist bike -- but i'll take a pic of my new tires tomorrow.

oh, i got a paint job for pride month ...

bike.JPG

left it out and in the morning it was covered in streamers. it had rained and they left some heavy dye. i really like it, but rain has washed most of it away at this point. still enough remnant to make me smile and indicate a junker.

Last edited:
^yeah this seems like you're kinda place.

i was feeling some late night macaroons so i grabbed my bike on the way back up ...

bike1.jpg

lookin' slim

bike3.jpg

notice that duct tape? sensors on this bad boy.

bike4.jpg

also got two different grip shifters. changed it out myself. $20 for a set and sold the back one for $10 on ebay. excuse the laundry in background but i was done kicking my stuff around to keep personal items outta the photos.

Last edited: