• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

What do you guys do when the weather changes? Gonna be rain season here.

Thinking of maybe getting one of these although it wouldn't be the same as going up a bunch of hills obviously...

do it. anything to keep you on track through the winter.

i’m gonna get studded tires for the bad days and plan to ride as usual. it’s my primary mode of transport, so. i might run instead of bike more often when i’m working out (as opposed to going places). will be my first winter of biking. while i wanna say nothing will change, we’ll see.

Last edited:
went down stairs for the first time today. a little flight of three. was about to try another that's about a dozen. decided i should reinstate my dental insurance first.

^nope, upright hybrid. would almost surely knock my teeth out on a road bike. and along leet's point, don't think such limited points of contact would be good for road tires.

Even so I am impressed, you must have sinews of steel! I pushed my bike up a small mountain near my yard thinking what sport to freewheel down.

Yeah, if you like staring at the 5 foot directly ahead of you for the whole duration and constantly thinking, guessing, hoping, holding on and just feeling lucky.

I look at steps and think "yeah" then get off and carry the bike down. You're tough stuff I think hydroazuanacaine

^aww, thanks. you been having lots of opportunities to get out there on your new wheels? it fall where you are? i love fall for running and now biking.

32.5 mile ride today:
- avg 17mph, on a multi use path with occasional intersections and crowding and all that
- one .48 mile flat stretch (strava segment) at 25.8mph
- one 5 mile lap (garmin clicking off digital laps every 5 miles, not a track lap) at 19.3mph

feeling good.

@schizopath. can we see your bike? pretty please. i fucking love looking at someone's bike.

Last edited:
32.6 miles today:
- avg 17.5mph
-two five mile splits (not consecutive) at 19.8mph
-best flat strava segment was 1.38 miles at 24.1mph.
- had .48 mile segment at 25.7mph too

there was a walk-a-thon today on the mup. heavy obstacle course.

@nuttynutskin @leet @schizopath and anyone else ...

what are everyone’s goals for this week? i hear the week starts on sunday, but pretty sure the whole world knows that’s bull shit. it starts on monday.

i want to bike 100 miles and run 6.2 miles by the end of sunday. my mom’s in town wednesday and thursday. she likes to power walk, so i probably won’t get to bike or run on those two days. i’m very excited to hang out with her. going to take her to see the “Nighthawks” painting in person.

@Hylight, not trying to push you too soon but you should set the goal of riding once this week. even if it’s a mile or less. get back on your bike and see what’s working and what isn’t. remind yourself how good it feels to glide. start to get reacquainted and comfortable on your wheels. would be good for you. wear a fucking helmet. if this isn’t the right week, word. give it consideration. sooner you get back on your bike, the happier you’ll be about not continuing to wait.

Last edited:
32.5 miles today:
- avg 17.2mph (should have had 17.4 but it got very dark at end and i was wearing sunglasses instead of safety glasses).
- i spent more time in heart rate zone 4 than in 5, which is new and means i’m improving my vo2 max. i think that’s what that means.

Last edited:
was nice having my mom visit. we saw “Nighthawks” and a ton of other phenomenal art, including monet’s bridges and a sally mann print. that of course cut back on workout opportunities.

after she left this evening, did 32.5 miles at a 17.2mph average. nighttime riding is not my favorite.

still plan on hitting my goals for this week. need 6.2 miles run and 27 miles biked.

Last edited:
Might ride around the neighborhood later but still sick here. At least my sinuses didn't totally close up the last time I slept lol.

saw you were back on the bike friday, nuttynutskin! how was the fuzzy ride, schizo?

i want to bike 100 miles and run 6.2 miles by the end of sunday.
101.5 miles biked and 6.2 miles run. by end of next sunday, i will have 100 miles biked and 9.3 miles run.

also dropped down a real flight of stairs today. at least a dozen. doubt i will do it again with my current bike. although it’s a hybrid, 28mm slick tires are not made for stairs. would be surprised if my wheels are still perfectly round. wasn’t part of the plan. i did a few circles making up my mind. the path to the left went no where, so when i realized my options were get off my bike or buck up ...

looked way bigger from the seat of a bike. versus from space.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm back weather permitting. Started raining hard a few mins after I got back today.

My bike
2_334436-2264x1432.jpeg
I liked it! Drugs make everything better pretty much.
Its raining in here now, so not sure if I go biking today, but atleast tomorrow when I get money.....

you haven't any gears on the bike, schizo. very stylish. glad to it's helping you feel better. cardio is one of the greater things life has to offer.

yeah, wind has a huge impact when you're on a bike.

32.6 miles tonight. garmin said it was my personal best at 17.6 mph. strava said it was tie at 17.4 mph. don't understand the physics of that discrepancy.

at this point track crowding is a significant factor in my time. i gotta get out there early in the morning and see what it's like.