• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

Custard,
We may have a communications problem. Panniers are saddlebags for bikes. Motorcyclists do NOT use panniers. They are called two entirely words to avoid confusion.

This is generally called an "under seat bag".

This is a "front basket". Very dangerous.

I'm not sure. Never mind, she's got non-alcoholic drinks for sale.

Very cool.

Something like this could get stolen easily. Expensive too.

Front panniers. The center of gravity is low.

I like this bike. Front and back panniers. Frames lower bar makes it very safe for rider.

Child carrier:

Custard, what country and city do you live in? What is the terrain like on way to discount food center.
Funny story. This same thing happened to me last year. I bought a 83cc motor scooter for $900 and rode it the 16 miles round trip to the discount food center many times per month. I gained like 25 lbs. No joke.

Last edited:
When you use rear or front panniers, it is not much more effort to ride. Picking up the bike it will be heavier.
So is Starting out from a dead stop, possibly depending on what gear you are in.

I would definetly look around at panniers on the Internet. Try and find an affordable rear bike rack ( you need the metal bracket "thingy" that attatches usually to the seat post and fender threaded eyelets on the rear brackets, near the axle on the frame. It costs about $25.) and then find a rear pannier on eBay or locally in paper or Internet forum. I would buy a used pannier in good condition.:D

Take your time and don't buy the first one you see. Make sure it fits your bike before you pay. Actually attatch the pannier and rack and put some weight on it. I would even approach a stranger that is riding a bike with panniers and explain your plight. Bikers are friendly, can't you tell?!

Last edited:
8 items in a rear pannier would be noticeable. But wouldn't diminish the fun a bike provides for traveling.

Hello :)

one of the things I love/hate about biking in Los Angeles are the cars. They are fun to mess with, but if I fuck with someone too hard I end up hurting.

Appreciate most of you are American but if you ever get the chance to come and cycle in Scotland, you,re in for a treat. The 7 states is pure forest, off road and mountainous but with decent tracts and signage. Worth a go for any noob with out a wicker basket and town tyres! It scares the shit out of me!

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/activities/mountain-biking/7stanes

7stanes-glentress.jpg

slideshow-mcmoab.jpg

dalbeattie_small_slabs_2_7stanes_mountain_biking_scotland_1.jpg

I have heard bad things about Los Angeles traffic. I like to fuck with cars too. I've been fucked with by cars in return sooo. Do you wear a helmet toothpastedog?

My father and I went to Scotland website. Pretty cool. We both agreed if we had the chance.

Me today: flat tire woes.

Some art my father made for my house:

Cool or not cool? It's a retired Redline disk rim with Intense tire.

Last edited:
Hahaha that is fucking AWESOME!

and yes I wear a helmet. I also know how to roll and carry a big chain lest someone wants to mess with me and mah baby ;)

Functiong bike lock and helmet rack. I got used and unused 26in street and dirt tires hung on my bedrooms walls. I gotta do more biking. I want to build a bike like yours when I lose some weight.
You talking to me bout building a bike like mine? You should, they are fast as fuck and fun to ride. Also, I see you are a Hammer man, nice! Just played some tennis under the lights last night. You still haven't answered if you are a CNY guy.

Got a question for fellow bikers:

So I'm thinking of buying either a back basket or a saddle bag to help carry groceries. I found a grocery store about 3K away that's way cheaper than the one closer to me, but carrying all that weight on my back majorly sucks. I've never had either on my bike before, so I'm not sure which is better - pros/cons - or if it doesn't really matter much either way.

The only difference I can think of is that the saddle bag doesn't have as much surface area so you couldn't really put a big backpack in there, and because you need to distribute the weight evenly, you couldn't put one singular heavy thing on one side. I'd want to make sure that however I carry my groceries it's stable and secure enough to do a reasonable-sized shop of about 8 items or so. I'm also curious if one requires more effort than the other to carry the weight, or if it's the same. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I use my 30L backpack with carabiners for anything I need to clip on if possible. I weigh around 240lbs. though so I have a pretty wide distribution on my back. I've been thinking about rear panniers though at some point. Maybe if I get another hybrid bike. I feel like having that weight on the bike would throw off balance ?

Very cool.

Feel like these would get in the way of pedaling?

Appreciate most of you are American but if you ever get the chance to come and cycle in Scotland, you,re in for a treat. The 7 states is pure forest, off road and mountainous but with decent tracts and signage. Worth a go for any noob with out a wicker basket and town tyres! It scares the shit out of me!

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/activities/mountain-biking/7stanes

7stanes-glentress.jpg

slideshow-mcmoab.jpg

dalbeattie_small_slabs_2_7stanes_mountain_biking_scotland_1.jpg

Fucking badass mate. Would love to check out. Thinking my next bike will be some sort of trail bike.
I have heard bad things about Los Angeles traffic. I like to fuck with cars too. I've been fucked with by cars in return sooo. Do you wear a helmet toothpastedog?

My father and I went to Scotland website. Pretty cool. We both agreed if we had the chance.

Me today: flat tire woes.

That sucks, sorry to hear. Do you carry extra tubes / tools? I have found them to come in handy many times...

Some art my father made for my house:

Cool or not cool? It's a retired Redline disk rim with Intense tire.

I like it... seems to go with your athletic aesthetic (from what I've seen)

Thanks for all the comments on the wall art. No one but a biker would understand it.

Jah: I moves from Oswego ny to Central Fl in 2012 where I now reside. Ocala is the place for downhill mtb. The rest of state is flat.
Yes, I carry tools.
I am looking to build a steel mtb rigid fork "speed" bike with flat handlebars. Maybe fixed gear maybe something simple like 7 or 8 to keep it "unique"! I don't know what size/thickness tires/rims combos and wether disk or v brake. I'm leaning towards 8 speed rear with vbrakes. And 1.95 tires for a light weight build.

Are there bikes on Rio Olympics this year?

*that center tube pack would definitely get in way of legs.

I need to get my bike serviced. I will be without her for a week and I'm not sure I know how I'm going to cope. It is gonna be one LONG week :(

Have any of you heard of Danny Macaskill? He's a major biking hero here in Scotland.

Hopefully this video and some others on poo tube channels of his adventure in the Isle of Skye's Cuillin mountains will interest and excite you die hard cyclists :D The Cuillin's are the most spectacular and challenging mountains in British Isles. I've walked them but the thought of cycling them terrifies me 8o

i've seen some of the crazy shit he's done in the states for redbull ... very skilled rider

also, extremely mental