Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

big pupils while getting ready?

starlet_girl

Bluelighter
Hi,
Lately when I've been getting ready to go out for a big night I notice that my pupils get really dilated, which I've never noticed before. In fact, my mum just looked at me kinda funny before hehe. Is it coz I'm excited about going out and what's in store? Also, could it be coz I'm listening to dance music as well? or that I had a couple of 5HTP capsules this afternoon?
just curious to know if this has happened to anyone else...
also, whenever I go to the toilet for a few days afterwards they get big too...it's really weird...

Can't say I've ever heard of this... Closest thing that I've had come to that is that I used to need to RUN to the toilet for a dump everytime I was going to buy/use some Crystal Meth.
Do you do a lot of speed?

I have a theory, totally unfouded and unverified, but I figure I'll contribute anyway.

Is it possible that Pupil Dilation is in some ways related to chemical levels in the brain ie. seretonin, dopamine etc.

I have seen correlations in my own experiences that seem to match with what you're talking about Starlet_Girl. My theory is (gets ready to be shot down in flames by somebody who knows better :)) that the excitement and anticipation of going out somewhat increases these chemicals in the brain, maybe leading to a little dilation.

Another random observation I've had, a little off topic. . .stay tuned. . .I also see that people absolutley munted on pills revert to child-like behaviour because it feels good or whatever, I myself have done this many a time. But children (2-4 years particularly) seem to have dilated pupils almost constantly (don't believe me? Go up and have a look at your baby sis/cuz/whatever next time you see them playing a game or something), especially engaging in play and the such. Is it possible that childen have naturally high levels of seretonin and hence elicit that kind of behaviour because it feels good for them also. . .Are they constantly in a kind of E state?

I know what I just said has massive logic holes in it, but it's hard to explain all cracked out on mushies. . .But it kinda makes sense to me. . .I would love for someone to come back and either set me straight or even help me work on this a little. . .

also, whenever I go to the toilet for a few days afterwards they get big too...it's really weird...
Bahaha! That's hilarious, sorry :)

Dozens of things can cause mydriasis (pupil dialiation). And also, just because your pupils are big does not mean they're dialated - they get big! They have to get big when there isn't much light around, for example if you're up close to the mirror checking their size.

I don't think this really needs saying, but I'm compelled to say the following anyway;
No, listening to dance music does not dialate your pupils...
No, childrens brains don't work as if they're effected by MDMA all the time... The difference in their pupil size might have something to do with growth, the size of the eye, etc.

There is some plausability in the syllogism that serotonin release causes pupil dialiation, excitement causes serotonin relase; therefore excitement causes pupil dialation... But it's not going to be out of the ordinary because people get really excited all the time, so you'd be used to seeing it.

What I'm saying? Big pupils happen.

Despite having typed out a relatively long post, I don't think this issue bears much significance, regardless of the answer.

:)

I work with little kids and I haven't noticed that their pupils are any larger than anyone elses. Little kids are happy because everything is new and life is simple and beautiful all the time. This might mean that serotonin is doing a little bit more in their brain, but it certainly isn't like they're constantly peaking. :)

Regarding the pupil dilation relative to neurotransmitter levels...pupil dilation is part of the 'fight or flight' response, which is (I believe) mostly connected to adrenaline. Basically, stimulants put your body in a condition that normally it would only be in in times of stress/fear (say if a bear was about to eat you). The 'fight or flight' responses put you in the best condition for fighting the bear, or running away from it.

So your pupils dilate, letting in more light so that you can see better, as well as a bunch of other things (such as not thinking about sleep).

Last edited:
It's a simple sympathetic reaction. Normal.

Abnormal ones include:
Use of triclic antidepressants
Use of antihistamines
Use of atropine (just incase you need a nerve gas antidote ;))
Sympathomimetic drugs (or drugs that mimic some normal sympathetic responses in the way they work, like amphetamines and cocaine and MDxx probably)
Carbon monoxide poisoning (hmmn, get some fresh air.)

If only one eye is dialated, the prognosis is usually bad.. Like brainstem herniation or something.

I dunno about your toilet thingy...

But when i used to club every week, by about 6pm the night i was going out I would be buzzing heaps, lotsa energy, big pupils, etc. Good'ol anticipation of good times to come lol

People who are naturally off the planet tend to have big pupils as well, ever seen a pic of Charley Manson??8o

dont worry, I get the same thing happening to me at times aswell. pupils go large when no apparant drug has been in my system for sometimes even a week.

It's my personal theory that anticipation of using MDXX can trigger some sort of serotonin/catecholamine release....

Have a look at the studies done with m-CPP. m-CPP produces no euphoria in people who've never tried ecstasy, just "annoying side effects", but produces euphoria in people who've had ecstasy before.

Whilst the studies attribute this to some sort of neurological damage, I'm more inclined to believe it's simply some sort of state-dependent function that's been learned. People learn to associate good times with eye wobbles and jaw clenching, and suddenly the latter can produce the former. Any of the 5-HT2 activating drugs seem to be able to do this?

kids are sorta in what you could realllly generally term as a e state until about the age of 4. Its called a sort of flow state where they are constantly in the present state of time, never thinking about the past or future. This is the state that drugs can create.

Whenever my friends and I get ready togo to a big event/rave we nearly always startup at someones place...about 5-8 of us getting ready and having a couple of drinks before we leave...we always start hyping up and getting excited even before we take anything. Music friends and atmosphere and our excitement all just bounce of one another. Were all talking really fast and starting to nervously jig about...I do notice just before we leave my pupils are dilated and we dont normally take any chems till we arrive at venue.
I just take it as part of the fun of going raving and chemicals.... the anticipation....