Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Big Day Out 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
it may be an Australia Day celebration in Sydney but that not being the whole of Australia and there being far bigger evnts to celebrate Australia Day in other cities I think the idea of the media "beating up" an issue might actually be spot on. it now has a different agendas, bringing big music acts to bombard our little ears...not a lot of them being australian, ears or the acts that is. As far as I can see the reason you had it on Australia day there was because there were enough days afterwards that were holidays for people to get over their hangovers and go to work rather than anything of a patriotic nature. Take a camera, get a pic of some blonde chick on a blokes shoulders holding the flag above her head and I guarantee you you have the front page photo for the next day in all what we call NEWSpapers....
I really wanted to post "go listen to John Williams if you want to celebrate Australia day with little jonny" and then I realised that thankfully I wasn't even 100% sure that was his name...please tell me I got it wrong!
8(

I always thought moronic flag waving and armchair patriotism was an American product.

Regardless of if they said ban or not, I dont care... there where so many drunken speed fucked idiots waving flags around last year it wasn't funny. All they did was make a lot of people feel really intimitated.

On top of that the so called 'patrotism' was so thin and transparent, it didn't take a genius to work out what the agenda was

ValeTudo said:
Bullshit ^ It is traditionally held on January 26th, and is not held in any country but Australia. The majority of acts are Australian and it is organized and promoted by an Australian company. Thus by all reasonable logic it is clearly 100% Australian orientated.

I hate the concept of thugs using our flag to dispense harassment & create fear. That is who should be targeted and removed from the event. But wrapping yourself in a flag and displaying pride in our nation at a specifically AUSTRALIAN event, the day before AUSTRALIA DAY, is absolutely fine and should be supported and cherished as an unalienable right.

Its actually Australian and New Zealand owned. When I was at lollapalooza many years ago there was an american flag + clothing everywhere I looked, it was blinding..

You sheep disgust me, left-leaning communist fucks who will say or do anything as long as it appears to be the "group mentality" against Mr Howard. Patriotism is *not* an explicitly American thing, and comparing my view to "typical Americanism" is plain ridiculous. Read the news.

Flag waving speed freaks are speed freaks with or without a flag. They just happen to live in Australia and be proud of that fact. Had they not had a flag im sure they'd be just as intimidating/annoying. If you feel intimidated, tell a security man or police officer. Tell your friends to keep an eye on you.

Don't take your hate out on our national symbol just cause you're friends might think you're cool if you say the polar opposite of our PM.

^That's Sir Sheep to you!!!

I don't really get flag waving - it's hard to see it as anything but a way of distinguishing "us" from "them". It makes sense if your culture is under threat - I don't have a problem with, for example, people flying the Aboriginal flag - but I hardly think that applies to the Australian flag. Patriotism, nationalism and xenophobia are really only a footstep away from each other - it's really no coincidence that fascists and neo-nazis use names like "National Front", "National Action" etc. "One Nation" was hardly a seething hotpot of tolerance and diversity either...

So why would you even want to "fly the flag" here in Australia?

Ah well. We're the majority. The PM backs us. The flags stay. You can all get fucked =D

I strongly suggest YOU pull up on your aggressive comments ValeTudo.

As a past event organiser, I can completely understand the actions of the BDO promoters. I'd do, and have in the past done whatever it took to keep the peace and ensure the wellbeing of my patrons.

We communicate yearly with BDO organisers and have always found them to be thoughtful and thorough planners. As those BLers and others who did volunteer work at the GC BDO will attest to, this year the safety standards were higher, requiring that all workers attend a pre-event safety induction process. Besides the caring attitude shown towards punters by the organisers, these requirements often also stem from compulsory insurance demands, which are currently increasing every year.

As a person involved in formulating the initial BDO crowd care plan as well as other such protocols, I can say that it's the insurance companies who often have the final say in whether or not an event proceeds. Perhaps those who'd complain would instead prefer another 1998 BDO? That's right, the year when BDO didn't happen at all. Maybe some of you should think a little outside the box. If you need to blame anyone, start looking at those who empower and facilitate the insurance companies.

BTW, I'm no sheep, but like many of the more thinking contributors on this board, I'm definitely more left of centre in my political views. However, regardless of where we may stand, we sometimes have to compromise our own preferences for the wellbeing of others. If you love your country so much, have a thought about the safety of your fellow Australians.

I have made no aggressive comments whatsoever! Perhaps expressed my view "passionately" at best

take a stand !

i fell a bit sorry for the mouthpeice that was used to carry out this plan of action. because it was "the big bad ass biker security company" that put a lot of leverage on the promoters to ban the flag from being brought in to the event. fucking chickens, cant hack the pace when your outnumbered, hey? the company just happens to be owned by serbian interests too...

im just wondering why not ALL flags were banned. and yeah, they did ban the flag, they just worded there statement very carefully, just so they could back their sorry arses out of it. wankers. they should be looking to throw thugs out, however, seeing as security are connected to criminal interests, thats kind of like the fox looking after the chickens, isnt it ?...

try doing this in an arab country, or preaching christianity and you would be slain. simple as that.

anyway, im taking a stand against this stripping back of our culture, evrything from stamping out the celebration of christmas, to stopping us from displaying our flag, by boycotting any future events by this particular promoter. and by standing outside the front gate of this event, waving the biggest flag that you might want to see. right in front of the mongrel security.

i have six tickets for sale, so if anyone wants one, just post for it.

dont back down, VALE TUDO... :X

^hold on, before you go insinuating anyone is a racsist, you would want to have your facts straight, thats a very bad accusation to make.

ValeTudo said:
You sheep disgust me, left-leaning communist fucks

Any more comments like this - from either side of the argument - and i'm closing this thread for a cooling-off period.

green left/yellow sheep... get fucked.

why dont you suggest that the whole event be moved to guantanamo bay, in tribute to david hicks... then see how much backlash you get. the only people i see supporting this "traitor/biggest threat to our national security ever" are the green left.

better known as the "yellow sheep".

samadhi said:
Any more comments like this - from either side of the argument - and i'm closing this thread for a cooling-off period.

man, what do you expect people to say ? its about time the people of this country became a little more passionate for it.

its a pity it takes an incident like this to draw it out. go to europe and see what happens when something like this occurs...

Dude, i'm all for passionate argument, but calling people communist fucks isn't something that will generate it. I'm not going to put up with name calling.

say it loud ! said:
why dont you suggest that the whole event be moved to guantanamo bay, in tribute to david hicks... then see how much backlash you get. the only people i see supporting this "traitor/biggest threat to our national security ever" are the green left.

better known as the "yellow sheep".

Off topic, strawman.

Status
Not open for further replies.