• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Bi-polar/depression: Requires some knowledge of drugs.

NeoLime

Bluelighter
Ok, so I have had a history of depression spanning back into my early childhood, and while I feel little or no depression right now it does come back upon occasion. When I am not depressed I am energetic and highly talkative, frequently ranting and raving about various topics. However when I am depressed I get a surge of anxiety that prevents me from going about normal day to day behaviors.

My question is, does this sound in any way like Bi-Polar disorder. If it does has anyone had a bad experience with Lithium? or are there any analogs?
If it doesn't sound like Bi-Polar then what would you say it is? I have tried Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, and Effexor and had bad reactions to all of them, and MAOI's are not a choice for me because I enjoy medical use of Marijuana as a stress releif medication.

What is the proper choice in my delima? I know many of you may not be doctors and I will take your advice with a grain of salt, but all input is appreicated.

Thank you, Neolime

-edit- Add Lexapro to the list of anti-depressants that didn't work out for me.

Last edited:
That doesn't really sound like Bipolar disorder to me. Maybe a cyclothymia- real bipolar disorder is unmistakeable.

When you were on Bupropion, Venlafaxine or Duloxetine, did you experience a full blown mania? I'm assuming you weren't on a mood stablizer at the time.

Lithium is a fairly safe medication. You may experience some sedation, but otherwise, the worst problem is the stomach discomfort it can cause.

and MAOI's are not a choice for me because I enjoy medical use of Marijuana as a stress releif medication.

Yeah they are. Who told you you couldn't combine the two? They were mistaken. THC is not an Amine. If you were taking amphetamine or meth, I'd say no to MAOIs, but you're not.

Well the maniac episodes can last from 2-14 days and the depressive episodes can last from 1 month- 1 year. It usually gets into blocky periods that I cannot really help, usually based around some small menial occurrence in everyday life.

Ham-milton said:
Lithium is a fairly safe medication. You may experience some sedation, but otherwise, the worst problem is the stomach discomfort it can cause.
I was under the impression that Lithium is deadly and has a very, very small therapeutic window - thus the requirement for frequent blood testing for levels.

To the OP: it sounds to me that you are trying to avoid getting a legitamate diagnosis and thinking of buying Lithium Ororate, which is sold as a supplement. If that is the case, may I ask why?

Jamshyd said:

To the OP: it sounds to me that you are trying to avoid getting a legitamate diagnosis and thinking of buying Lithium Ororate, which is sold as a supplement. If that is the case, may I ask why?

I had no intent upon buying over the counter Lithium, I have an appointment with a new psychiatrist in about a month (my old one moved away recently) and I would very much like to know where my options stand before going into a blind appointment.
This is because of long term failure to treat my symptoms properly. I hope you can see that this is a legitimate delima I am facing.

Lithium is actually well tolerated by most people, although you do have to check serum levels periodically (as mentioned, the therapeutic index is narrow)...

Jamshyd said:
I was under the impression that Lithium is deadly and has a very, very small therapeutic window - thus the requirement for frequent blood testing for levels.

Oh, it certainly can be- but I was under the opposite impression, which he's since confirmed.

The most frequently prescribed drugs for bipolar disorder which you may want to ask your doctor about include Lithium, Depakote, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify, and Geodon. I'm sure there are others.

If you go a little over the theraputic level, the lithium ions tend to bugger up the kidneys (nephrotoxic). Erratic dosing with lithium over several years can leave you with less than happy kidneys.

If you need a mood stabilizer, ask about carbemazepine or sodium valproate, both of which have been used sucessfully as mood stabizers and with much less (& less serious) in the way of side effects at theraputic levels

Lamotrigine works wonders for me, and I find it almost free of side-effects, better than other anti-seizure drugs like valproic acid, witch is a sedating. The only problem is the need for slow increments in dosage to avoid allergic reactions..

Geodon works wonders.....been bipolar for years with anxiety and now this wonder drug has made me feel like a "normie".......it does block any euphoric add ons, so if you drink socially or say you want to get high from smoking green, you won't feel much euphoria except very minimal.....it's worth the benefits of the drug. I suppose (If I wanted to plan to get toasted) I could stop taking the geodon for a few days prior than my "recreational use night" which I rarely do anyways anymore. Hope this helps, as LITHIUM sucked for me and Wellbutrin was junk, so was Lexapro, Zoloft and Prozac......GEODON 40 mg with my 1 mg Xanax once a day has transformed me into a better and healthier me.

Risperidone/Risperdal is great also. Lamotrigine, Depakote and others work also, but Risperdal for me dials the bi-polar down, without clamping down on all my emotions. I still feel normal and everything while getting my emotions in check. You can also dial it down all the way to .25mg or take 6mgs. Broad dosing scale. I took all kinds and Risperdal works best for me.

I just realized this thread is from 8 years ago. Please, your opinion does not justify resurrecting such an old thread. The initial conversation is over and even some of the participants don't even visit this website anymore!

The OP has not visited this website since Last 23-05-2009

It is my firmly held belief, having befriended many individuals with bipolar (and having dated two, and my father is bipolar, so lots of people in my life), Lamictal should be the first medication tried for all individuals. If tolerated, coadministration of other drugs to treat symptoms not covered fully by Lamictal. But ultimately, Lamictal WILL treat bipolar in the long-term per longitudinal studies. Depressive symptoms can be remedied almost immediately once at target dose, and mania can be resolved (with Lamictal alone) within 5 years.

The thing about Lamictal is that tolerance is an issue. Even resistant individuals will get some rashing and side-effects (especially early on). However, other side-effects are almost non-existant.

Ultimately, everyone is different and treatment plans depend entirely on individual symptomatology and reaction to drugs.

Just, from what I have experienced with over 10 bi-polar personal friends/relatives, and over 30 types from support groups, neuroleptics are NEVER acceptable unless the bipolar presents with psychotic symptoms. Neuroleptics ARE anti-psychotics and should not be prescribed if one is not experiencing psychosis... They have single-handedly caused non-compliance with working medical regimens in many who would have otherwise stayed the course if a milder initial medication were tried and used first.

Last edited: