• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Best Way to Use Suboxone/Subutex to Detox

I talk to my psychiatrist and he agreed that I need to start out at a very small dose of buprenorphine. But he also told me not to take any benzodiazepines which I can't just cold turkey. He suggested not taking them and taking an anticonvulsant like Gabapentin to prevent possible convulsive withdrawal symptoms from the benzos. But without them my anxiety is over the top. And he said I could take clonidine for the anxiety if I don't take the benzos. So I'm kind of stuck right now.

I'm really not a hundred percent sure if my shallow breathing is anxiety or interaction of the buprenorphine and clonazepam. I think I need to call my doctor but any advice you might have on the switching back over I would greatly appreciate.

Dont use bupre' to come off of 70mg of oxycodone
your doctor sounds like an idiot

I'm on day 4 (day 1 on 2 mg) of a classic sub taper and just shot 2 bags. did I ruin it? I can't afford more subs. Do I need to raise my dose and restart?

^ Well You start again, but you don't have to start at your 'starting' dose. But the dose you were at wasn't enough to satisfy cravings.. I would increase dose and do more of a long term taper, maybe even an intreatment. GL

-hopeless

I'm also afraid about an Inpatient Detox as the much I would end up suffering during the process. If anyone has any input on Inpatient Detox or has done it I would feel more comfortable knowing that they actually do take care of you well so you don't suffer too badly.

I'm also afraid about an Inpatient Detox as the much I would end up suffering during the process. If anyone has any input on Inpatient Detox or has done it I would feel more comfortable knowing that they actually do take care of you well so you don't suffer too badly.

From my understanding, it varies greatly from one program to another. You're best bet is to discuss it with them in great detail, before agreeing to anything, to find out exactly how they operate. You want to find a place that suits your needs... Probably somewhere that eases you down slowly, provides plenty of comfort meds, therapy and after care. Do your homework.

Im back! This month I thought Id try Tommy's take a complete 8mg. Even though it was a few hours apart, it wasnt much. Had about 3mg 2 to three hours ago then said fugg it and took the rest of the whole thing. 5 mg. I wont lie, im gonna totally enjoy the feeling I have right now because since this is new territory, I have to wing it. Also I didnt wait 24 + hours, did this about 12 or so hours after my last "real" thing.

Last edited:
PLEASE HELP with a sub taper schedule
For the last 6 months I've been on and off h with several botched sub tapers and a few random weeks of sobriety. I recently botched an attempt at a short term sub taper (used halfway through, finished it out but felt bad) then went on a 3 day binge, and woke up in full on withdrawal again this morning. I'm getting 3 8 mg subs (1 strip, 2 pills). I know there are plenty of forums on this topic but I need help. How should I taper this if I want to succeed this time?

Congrats pmu...I was pretty blunt there
but yeah, some Dr's are very ignorant about bupre' or seem to be
trying to chain people to it. 70 mg hydrocod is pretty easy to taper from.

I'm still wrestling with the idea of taking a very small dose of buprenorphine for a few days to get off these things sooner.

^ That won't shorten the process, it will prolong it. But if you feel like crap, a rapid sub detox isn't out of the question.

Thanks for your reply I was reading at another post and I understand a little bit more about how the buprenorphine works and that you need to be on it long enough 4 the. The withdrawals of whatever you're on to subside a bit. More like closer to a week but not stay on them too long to end up potentially getting depended on those also.

My other issue was going on the buprenorphine again is that I read on another website that there can be an interaction between buprenorphine and benzodiazepines I still take Klonopin that's the next thing to work on.

^ Well certainly combining CNS represents can increase respiratory depression, but respiratory depression isn't as prevalent in bupe as it is full agonist opioids. This combination is often prescribed. If you have a tolerance to both benzos and opiates, you'll be fine. If.you have little to no tolerance, proceed with caution.

Thanks.
I also read based on the level of opiates I'm currently using that I would need very little buprenorphine to equal or be slightly less than what I am taking. I read that In low doses buprenorphine actually acts as a full opioid Agonist not partial. Doctor said to take two small divided doses a day. I actually tried the buprenorphine couple weeks ago for 3 days. First day I took one milligram once I was in withdrawals and it actually got me quite buzzed. Alleviated the opioid withdrawal symptoms but my anxiety was still Sky High. Next 2 days I took about three quarters of a milligram no physical opiate withdrawals but on the 4th morning I ended up having so much anxiety I had a panic attack.

Cutting way down on the hydrocodone by itself has increased my anxiety substantially as I had a ton of anxiety before I even started taking it about 15 months ago and found that it greatly alleviated my anxiety. At least initially until I build up tolerance to it.

I just want to get off these things and start rebuilding my life as soon as possible without ending up in a psych ward. Doctor did give me Clonidine to help when I jump off. But if I'm still taking the benzos I have to be really careful and not take too much clonidine.

After I'm off the opioids I'll need to address the severe anxiety with other medications like antidepressant. For the past couple years I've tried taking different antidepressants without any success. Went back to the benzos about 16 months ago and tried multiple antidepressants during that time and then started taking the Norcos again for multiple pain issues. But then since I found that the hydrocodone help with anxiety I didn't take any antidepressant.

So basically once I'm off the Norco I'm back to my original High general anxiety disorder state. I'm very close to there now cutting down to the level that I'm at which is half of what I was taking for the past 8 months now. Amount of benzos I take that doesn't even really help with the anxiety just keeps me from going through withdrawal from them. Obviously built up a tolerance to them over this long period of time

So as you can see my situation is a little more complicated than just simply coming off the opioids.

Got some decent sleep two nights ago and I find that my anxiety level is much better if I get some sleep. Last night was a bad night anxiety is high as hell today.

Thanks again for your input.

Now I'm even more scared as I was using Xanax with each attempt at quitting dope. For the last few months I've been taking at least 2 mgs a day, unless I was on another weekly dope binge. I finished my sub taper and haven't used dope in over 2 weeks but am worried that Xanax withdrawal will send me right back to the dope.

I came off benzos once had taken Xanax for a month-and-a-half and then Klonopin for a couple months. Tapered off very slowly for several months. Doctor gave me Gabapentin said that would help. Didn't really seem to help me although I was going through extreme anxiety problems at the time anyway. Do you have enough to taper down slowly on?

I tapered off slowly over several months. There is a tapering thread also in this forum you may want to post them and get some advice there. The time you were on it wasn't that long but definitely enough that you need to taper. I was also suffering from extreme anxiety at the time so it was much more difficult for me. I don't remember what it's called but I know there is a benzo Forum that I looked at at one point in time and you could probably get some good advice there also

Now I'm even more scared as I was using Xanax with each attempt at quitting dope. For the last few months I've been taking at least 2 mgs a day, unless I was on another weekly dope binge. I finished my sub taper and haven't used dope in over 2 weeks but am worried that Xanax withdrawal will send me right back to the dope.

Benzo buddies is the name of a good forum for information on tapering off benzodiazepines and lots of other useful information and support people.

Google dr. Ashton she has a benzodiazepine website and is a leading expert in benzodiazepines and supplies a lot of information about the dangers of them and has tapering schedules for people who have been on them for a long time. I've been stuck on benzos for a year-and-a-half almost. They don't even help me anymore have caused me more problem in the long run I could have ever imagined. Also been taking opiate painkillers with them the whole time. The two are definitely not a good combination lots of problems can develop from taking both medicines.