• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Best way to store keif and CBD Crystalline Isolate long-term?

Drag2019

Bluelighter
How should I store my Cannabis Bud Keif for long-term (lterally years) I got them in air tight glass mason jars. I don't know if I should add a dessicant packet to dry it out or not since i noticed the humidity making it all sticky?

Jibult

Bluelight Crew
You sure the jars are airtight? If you are, I'd keep the kief in there but put a piece of paper on top of the pile, the dessicant packet on top of the paper, seal it up and pop it in the freezer.

i honestly don't know if it's necessary to physically separate the packet from the kief with a small piece of paper but it just seems like the right thing to do.

The freezer's definitely the way to go, though. If that's not an option, put it in a cool, dark place like a closet. You're really going to want a freezer and you definitely need it airtight if you're gonna store this stuff for years, though, but to be honest... vacuum-sealed would really be the smartest way to go about it. Get all the air out, including the moisture and most contaminants that go with it.

Drag2019

Bluelighter
I got keif that is at least a year old by now already so not sure if that matters.

They are in individual bags. They are in a glass mason jar which is as airtight as possible. I can put them into a vacumn sealed bag. From everything I've read putting them in the freezer for anything related to Cannabis is at best overkill and the moisture would be a problem.

I don't get it is kief sensitive to a certain heat temperature.

(thank for the undo button as I erased this all accidentally)

Jibult

Bluelight Crew
I got keif that is at least a year old by now already so not sure if that matters.

They are in individual bags. They are in a glass mason jar which is as airtight as possible. I can put them into a vacumn sealed bag. From everything I've read putting them in the freezer for anything related to Cannabis is at best overkill and the moisture would be a problem.

I don't get it is kief sensitive to a certain heat temperature.

(thank for the undo button as I erased this all accidentally)
Moisture's not a problem with an airtight vacuum-seal. It would definitely be a problem if you just threw a regular bag or jar into the freezer, though.

The higher the temperature, the faster the drug "breaks down" and loses potency. Low temperatures slow the degradation process down considerably. Constant exposure to sunlight does the same thing, which is why the typical recommendation for storage is a cool, dark space.

w01fg4ng

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Oxygen, heat and light are the three variables you want to control as much as possible.

CBD is roughly twice as stable as THC so it's a lot easier to store without concern.

Drag2019

Bluelighter
Essentially everyone has a different answer or opinion about this. If anyone with some more knowledge that would be nice. Since at this point I got idea how to keep it for long-term storage.

Jibult

Bluelight Crew
Essentially everyone has a different answer or opinion about this. If anyone with some more knowledge that would be nice. Since at this point I got idea how to keep it for long-term storage.

Put kief into vacuum-sealable containers. Vacuum-seal them. Store in freezer.

Google is your friend if you don't know how to vacuum-seal mason jars.

Thomas Davie

Staff member

Google is your friend if you don't know how to vacuum-seal mason jars.
Yes, this seems like the best way to store kief/isolate and weed long term. I worked with all kinds of samples; from biological tissue to restricted drugs. Some samples were kept in the fridges, some in the freezer and few in the freezer at -80C/-112F. The better the packaging and the colder the storage, the better or longer samples would remain stable.

Anyone recommend a good home vacuum sealer? I’d like to do bag within bag, so at least 2 roll sizes?

Tom

Drag2019

Bluelighter
Search engines like duckduckgo r my friend Google is an advertisement company. Now just like this thread search results have come up with different answers from everybody.

I can vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer but I don't know if this is the wisest decision for long-term storage? Just curious y do u want a bag within a bag Thomas Davie?

I know for a fact like every single person who has done a lot of research long-term cannabis bud storage is best used with a Boveda 2-way humidity pack (reverse osmosis membrane or some) and a mason jar in a cool dark room as a freezer is just a bad idea.

Jibult

Bluelight Crew
freezer's definitely the way to go, though. [...] vacuum-sealed
Long term storage, vac seal into freezer
Oxygen, heat and light are the three variables you want to control as much as possible. (editor's note: this means cold, airtight and dark)
Yes, this seems like the best way to store kief/isolate and weed long term. I worked with all kinds of samples; from biological tissue to restricted drugs. Some samples were kept in the fridges, some in the freezer and few in the freezer at -80C/-112F. The better the packaging and the colder the storage, the better or longer samples would remain stable.

Anyone recommend a good home vacuum sealer? I’d like to do bag within bag, so at least 2 roll sizes?

Tom
Different answers? Seems like everybody's telling you the same thing over and over again.

Drag2019

Bluelighter
I wasn't talking about this thread and certainly didn't mean to suggest that... only the information in this thread is what I've read that all have different recommendations.

Sorry for the confusion I mean it's just that I prefer to get more just 3 people with the same opinion.

Drag2019

Bluelighter
air tight jars in a freezer would be my best idea
Wouldn't a glass mason jar be more air tight than a plastic vacuum sealed bag? Has anyone stored keif in the freezer for years.

The online weed store I buy from gives out free keif samples with each purchase hence this question in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited:

Thomas Davie

Staff member
I wasn't talking about this thread and certainly didn't mean to suggest that... only the information in this thread is what I've read that all have different recommendations.

Sorry for the confusion I mean it's just that I prefer to get more just 3 people with the same opinion.
Ok, here’s what I learned/learnt/learnt from working as a lab tech since 1990 (am retired, ya fucking hoo)

1- biological samples have to be frozen as soon as possible. Degradation of some.components will occur quickly. We’d freeze sample at -20 overnight and then they would go into -80 for long term storage.

2. Sometimes samples were freeze dried to remove all the water

3. If coldfrozen samples had to be analyzed they were removed from cold/frozen storage and either thawed completely or let come to room temperature beFore opening up 2-3 external bags and having condensation as a problem.

Kepp your samples away from air, light, heat and moisture. 2-3 layers of vacuum seal, pop em in the freezer and you *will* be good for years.

Tom

Thomas Davie

Staff member
Wouldn't a glass mason jar be more air tight than a plastic vacuum sealed bag? Has anyone stored keif in the freezer for years.

The online weed store I buy from gives out free keif samples with each purchase hence this question in case anyone was wondering.
No, not if you buy good quality roll bags. Or use multiple bags. There are attachments for some of the vacuum sealers that allow you to use jars - but I think they might be brand specific jars and inappropriately expensive.

I’m not sure if it would help but I’ve thought about throwing in a boveda humidity pack inside each vacuum sealed bag.

Tom