• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Best taper plan for high dosages of suboxone

NthMan

Greenlighter
I recently did a taper starting from 16mgs of suboxone over a 60 day period, but had a relapse and am now on a whopping 24 mgs of suboxone a day..I’ll be honest, I dont like bein on this shit and Im also not real interested in a taper just to get high, honestly the suboxone alone isnt the problem, its all the urine tests and appts and the gd social worker appts that i really dont like dealing with. I went back to the same place I got the taper plan when I was on 16 mgs of bupe, but as I said I’m now on 24 mgs and the taper plan I used begore still maps it out on a 60 day taper, with the initial cut down to just 12 mgs a day for about a week 🤭 ...is that a safe drop, and could i possibly take a decrease of 4 mgs at a time for a couple weeks and then do the 60 day taper once I’m down to 16 mgs agAin ? Only thing is, youre only supposed to take one dose a day when tapering,and Im not sure taking 20 mgs at one time is altogether safe.

I've heard people say that you're supposed to only take one dose per day when tapering but this is arbitrary and not optimal for many, myself included. Yeah 24mg/day is way overkill. And taking 24mg a day in one dose is just going to make you top out then crash by the next day's dose, as well as cause the adverse side effects you get from bupe to become really pronounced.

You should be fine for a while no matter how you proceed, cutting the dose in half to 12mg/day or dropping 4mg/day for three days. And probably, if you're like a lot of folks, you can keep going on down without any serious discomfort beyond some yawns, decreased energy etc. I found the 4-8mg per day range taking it split into morning and late afternoon to be superior in every way to say16mg, or the 24mg I was prescribed. Even when I was coming off of a multiple grams a day dope habit I never needed more than a few mg's at a time. The negative side effects you get with larger regimens disappear and the therapeutic benefit of it doing what it's supposed to do- actually feeling like an opioid- became much more prominent. Less is more with buprenorphine for sure.

It's not unlikely that you can drop pretty rapidly down to as little as 2-3mg twice/day without much trouble. It's more than anything a game of trial and error and mental chess against yourself. If you drop too much to soon, take a little more. Once you're comfortable, drop some more. Good luck.

Oh hell ya thanks a lot, helps to hear from someone that knows what its like to be at that high of a dose, and to be honest and Ive said this to my subs provider multiple times, with me theres always going to be cravings i had em on 16 a day and i got em now at 24..sucks that im so irresponsible with benzos cos im almost positive the occasional couple valium would be therapeutic for me, i tend to get real nervous and unable to focus like 90 % of my day it seems like, cant even read a book or play vids or whatever i always need to be doing something physical and yet still have trouble with shit for pay jobs which are the only kind i can get most of the time..anywAys, waaay off topic but yeh, as soon as i recover from my minor surgery this tuesday im gonna try to step it down a bit on my bupe, i tend to use kratom but that whole culture has kinda lost its luster for me now. Kava bars are fuking soap operas. Anyways, thanks mate !!!

Well, overrall i think for me at least the point is to be conpletely off of it in say, 75 days or so, like i said im on 24 now, i have to get surgery in a couple days, that will take no more than 2 weeks to recover from, and then ill cut down by half a strip for 6 days, another half for another 6 days, then ill be down to 16 where i can start that 60 day taper from there and be off it hopefully by february..its not a huge emergency, it is important to me to stay clean and sober but overrall like i said i dont like having all these appts and drug tests done i feel like im being babysat and other than my good friends i dont feel like divulging my clockwork for clinical study i need my privacy and my health and i dont believe that suboxone therapy is good for either..thats just me tho,it might be more helpful to people who are more willing to have their hands tied behind their back, it might not feel that way to them but it does for me..

dose reductions from high doses are a lot easier. once you get under 4 ish my then things get tougher. get down as low as possible as fast as possible and take time on the lower doses. i hope things work for ya. bupe is a son of a bitchbut i can say from my own experience it's all worth it. eventually..

I'm definitely not a doctor and you should do it at your own pace...

You might have an easier time just saving some suboxone pills/strips whatever and gauging out how horrible the withdrawal is. Tapering definitely makes it painless but suboxone is long-lasting so it's drawn out for days and dayssss. If you find the withdrawal to be benign (people either think bupe is easy to come off of or it's the devil itself and no in between) then there's really not much value in tapering--unless you're afraid of relapsing on heroin or such.

I withdrew from high dose bupe cold-turkey and it was long-lasting/depressing but nothing opiate lovers can't handle compared to the withdrawals they've probably gone through concerning heroin and oxycodone. I don't find bupe to have the same wrath as other opiates... the brain doesn't seem to become as dependent on it for mood stability. Some depression is still to be expected however. You were just recently pushed up to a high dose (from what I'm reading?) so your body won't be adjusted to the higher doses yet. Good luck!

Also--I'm with you on suboxone sucking. There's something strange about it that makes me not appreciate life in the same way as if I were sober. And I like using better as we all tend to lol. I've never heard men complain about it but my wee lil pecker doesn't like suboxone. Intercouse is definitely not as good on subs.