• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best SSRI... Least side effects???

The one that has worked best for me and im currently on is fluvoxamine(brand name Luvox) I hated all SSRI's before I tried Luvox and I tried quite a few(paxil, zoloft, zyprexa) I feel as though I have been reborn since I started on it. It has helped majorly with my depression and OCD, hasnt helped much with anxiety but you've mentioned that thats not a problem. It has also helped with cravings for drugs, I mean I still crave and I still use but I dont go violently insane like I used to.

Luvox has made my life a much happier place, I suggest you give it a go. i can get it up and finish, it does take a little longer but thats a good thing and its not like other SSRI's where its impossible to nut. I havent gained any weight and I am still as horny as ever. I thought my libido might have even gone up when I first started, i turned into a nympho for a week lol

Hope I could help out somewhat and I definitely hope you get the help you need.

You'll have to go through your own path. I tried Celexa/Cipramil (20-60mg/day) and hated it. Then I got switched to effexor and I''m still on it after ca. 7 years. I did get hardly any side effects from effexor when i started taking it. I'm currently on 225mg/day. Most people hate Effexor/Venlafaxine and will tell you it's worst AD ever. I think it's mainly an ok drug but the sucky thing is that i get w/d if i forget to take my dose two days in a row. Those "brain zaps" feel really fatal.

@the ketaman:
Zyprexa/Olanzapaine is a heavy-duty neuroleptic/antipsychotic, not an AD.

^^acording to wiki "Luvox" is indeed a SSRI.... I've heard lots about effexor.... and its the discontinuation syndrom among other things that worry me with this AD....

ketaman<< how long does "luvox" take to start working... one month? are there any side effects you've had or none at all?

The luvox took about a week to 2 weeks to start working, I started on 25mg then slowly ended up at 150mg(medium dose) and when your upping the doses it only takes about 3 days to start working. In those 3 days I was nodding quite a bit and really tired but it only lasted 3 days and was not really negative, kinda relaxing actually.

The only bad thing that has come out of me being on this med is if I miss a day I get physical w/d's until the drug is back in my bloodstream BUT I end up going absolutely crazy for about a week. When I was in rehab I missed a dose and alot of the workers thought I was going to assault them because of how crazy I violent I was getting. This happens with pretty much all SSRI's though so just make sure you dont miss any days at all, and you'll be fine. I usually end up assaulting someone every time I miss a dose, it just sends me loopy.

Not meaning to scare you because ive tried way too many anti-depressants and drugs to make my mental health better, luvox has been the best out of at least 15 different meds(cept benzo's, but thats just anxiety stuff) but what I was getting to is that one of the kids who committed the columbine massacre was coming off a high dose of this stuff, the other kid was coming of prozac I believe so it just goes to show you how hectic this stuff can make you if you dont take as recommended. But you will be fine and you wont commit any massacres so aski your doc because most doctors would be happy to give it to you. If I forgot anything i'll be sure to post back because luvox changed and possibly saved my life. It just fucking sucks you cant roll or take tramadol, DXM etc...

Not at all and thats on all SSRI's, not just Luvox. People claim to be able to get high while on SSRI's but I dont believe them and I certainly know I cant, ive double dunked the best pills going round at the time and felt NOTHING!!! then later had a shitload of purple meth and was twacked outta my brain for days. I hope whatever the purple stuff was isnt too dangerous, it was only very, very faintly purp though.

And they say you wont be able to feel MDMA for up to 6 months after you stop taking the SSRI depending on how long youve been on it for. I think it'll be at least 3-4 months for me if I ever come off the luvox which hopefully some day I do but the luvox is more worth it than MDMA, that stuff will make you happy for a night and you'll have a mad time, Luvox makes me happy all the time and even though theres no high to it, its definitely worth giving up pills for true happiness and functionability(when im depressed I dont do ANYTHINg at all but mope around feeling sorry for myself).

One more positive side is that it can make methadone up to 50% more potent, i only tried methadone yesterday and I was happy with the results, I was mashed for more than a day off a very small dose :D

Celexa worked pretty well for me. When I was on Prozac and Paxil I had those frustrating sexual side-effects, but not with Celexa. YMMV. Effexor XR (which is an SNRI) worked very, very well for a pretty stubborn depression, and since I titrated the dosage up, I avoided sexual side-effects. The depression started to lift after a while, and that's when the Effexor started to precipitate mania (I'm bipolar), so I had to go off S-L-O-W-L-Y, because Effexor withdrawal is a bitch.

But as you see, others in this thread have tried Celexa and Effexor and have hated them. Again: YMMV.

"what is the best SSRI?" This is a question that cant be answered by anyone on the board, or even by doctors. Its really a trial and error thing. Whatever works best for you.

I agree that celexa was the SSRI with the least negative side effects for me at least.

I know prozac has the least affiliation with weight gain. Also I hear that prozac doesn't suppress dopamine to the same extent as the other SSRI's which is one of the theories given for antidepressant induced sexual dysfunction. Prozac actually increases extra-cellular concentrations of dopamine which could possibly account for people losing weight on it. Prozac is the more "activating" of the SSRI's and I rate it after having been on zoloft and escitalopram which gave me limp dick :D

Diphenhydramine. Take 50mg in the morning, another 50mg during the day, and 50mg finally at night to sleep. Nobody will tell you this, but believe me, it will work as a nice mild SSRI without affecting you in anyway, and it will help you to sleep when you go to bed ;)

Ketaman, where are you getting this 50% figure in regards to luvox and methadone? Luvox certainly increases plasma levels of methadone, but doubtfully by 50%....

No one can tell you "what the best SSRI" is. It depends on you and your own body chemistry. One person may get some nasty side affects from one SSRI, while another person may have none at all and love it. Also almost all SSRIs can cause some form of mental addiction, meaning if you stop taking them for a few days in a row you will start to WD from the lack of action from the drug causing some nasty side affects and it takes about a week to get back on track once you start your routine again. Most SSRIs take about 6 weeks to completely start working, that's that standard wait time doctors have you wait while trying a new type.
And if you ever do decide to come off an SSRI once you start it and are on it for a while then you will have to slowly lower your dosage to avoid nasty WD symptoms.

How severe is your depression by the way? If it's low to moderate then I would suggest trying 5-HTP before trying an SSRI. I used it for the longest time and it worked wonderfully well for my moderate depression. It's the direct precursor to serotonin which is one of the chemical transmitters in your brain that makes you happy. The good thing about it is you don't develop any addiction to it which means no WD symptoms. And it starts to work within a few days of taking it instead of weeks.

If that doesn't work then I would suggest moving on to the SSRIs to treat your depression. I personally just hate the way SSRIs work and think they are pretty nasty drugs. You can also develop a tolerance to them and have to go onto extremely high doses of them or have to switch to a new type altogether to get results.

Good luck on your search for happiness! It's truly great once you get there.
Just my 2 cents!

The one bad thing I did find with using 5-HTP was that if I had taken it within around three days before dosing on any type of amphetamine I would get little to no affect from it what-so-ever. I looked all over the internet and couldn't really find anyone else who had experienced this affect, but I know that it was the 5-HTP causing my temporary resistance to amphet. But on the flip side if I took it after a good hard day of speeding I had very little come down side affects from the amphetamine come down.