• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Best Portrayal of Drugs in Movies

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
What movies get your thumbs up, in terms of both realism and how good the movie itself actually is?

For me it's gotta be:

1) Requiem For a Dream
2) Trainspotting
3) The Basketball Diaries
4) Leaving Las Vegas
5) Beautiful Boy

At least I'm not the only one...

If there was a zombie apocalypse I'd be camping out in a pharmacy raiding the controlled drugs box and using my access to antibiotics etc to barter food and weapons.

But, as I've said before on this website, if anyone wants to understand "dope culture" and the various aspects of it, can't do better than Trainspotting (1996) IMO. The concepts explored in that movie as they relate to opiate addiction (like using drugs to escape "existential pain", a constant struggle to avoid being "sick", polydrug (ab)use, personal relationships becoming transactional, etc) are universal across opiate-abusing subcultures IMO

And it's all packaged in a really well-executed black comedy, with an (IMO) ambiguous ending I really like.

Admittedly many other opiate-related films explore similar ground...but IMO Trainspotting explored all the ugliness of drug abuse and associated mayhem in an honest way, while replacing the "drugs are bad, mmkay?" moralistic subtext of certain films like Requiem For A Dream with the cynical-yet-humanistic perspective of the main character.

But, as I've said before on this website, if anyone wants to understand "dope culture" and the various aspects of it, can't do better than Trainspotting (1996) IMO. The concepts explored in that movie as they relate to opiate addiction (like using drugs to escape "existential pain", a constant struggle to avoid being "sick", polydrug (ab)use, personal relationships becoming transactional, etc) are universal across opiate-abusing subcultures IMO

And it's all packaged in a really well-executed black comedy, with an (IMO) ambiguous ending I really like.

Admittedly many other opiate-related films explore similar ground...but IMO Trainspotting explored all the ugliness of drug abuse and associated mayhem in an honest way, while replacing the "drugs are bad, mmkay?" moralistic subtext of certain films like Requiem For A Dream with the cynical-yet-humanistic perspective of the main character.

I agree, but I also think Drugstore Cowboy does the same thing very well in its own way. It's difficult to compare the two as films because they're of a different time and culture and style. But they both present the whole opiate lifestyle quite well without either glorifying it or moralistically preaching about how "drugs are bad m'kay?" They show the reality of what addiction is imo.

Trainspotting gets a fair bit of criticism on BL but I think that's because a lot of noobs get the wrong messages from it more than anything else.

I first watched Trainspotting as an innocent 16-17 year old.
Think I got a third of the way through before thinking what the actual fuck is this shit?
I don’t understand.

25 years later i decided to rewatch it.

And the penny dropped.

Blow was also awesome.

At least I'm not the only one...

If there was a zombie apocalypse I'd be camping out in a pharmacy raiding the controlled drugs box and using my access to antibiotics etc to barter food and weapons.

YAASSSSS! In any zombie or apocalypsy event my #1 thing would be to raid all the pharmacies. Dual purpose: 1) I want all the opioids, benzo's and amphetamines they have and b) make sure I have a very large supply of all my prescription meds plus the vitals like anti-biotics.

YAASSSSS! In any zombie or apocalypsy event my #1 thing would be to raid all the pharmacies. Dual purpose: 1) I want all the opioids, benzo's and amphetamines they have and b) make sure I have a very large supply of all my prescription meds plus the vitals like anti-biotics.

We gotta team up when the zombies come.

I watched a movie called "spun" on amazon prime. Its about a bunch of tweakers and I watched it high on meth and it felt very accurate to me and I found it a great film to watch while fucked up.
yes I like spun it's a re watchable flick,
first time I seen into was on a date not a good first date movie but it was sick both kind of sick,
I don't care for crystal, but sum amps r fun.
I eaven liked T2 trainspotting, wasn't as good as the first but fun anyway I used subtitles on some of the flick cuz their accents