• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Best opiate for heavy Bruxism (teeth grinding)

delphinen

Bluelighter
Since I began taken my SNRI (Effexor, Venlafaxine) I slowly deteriorated my teeth and gum by grinding them when asleep.
Doctors gave me Ibuprofen for pain until they can determine what's the best option, but Ibuprofen doesn't do shit. Tramadol helps a little hours after it has been metabolized but the next day makes the pain worse.
So far the best medication I have found (because I can't get up from bed otherwise because of the pain), is Codeine+Diclofenac with Clonixin lysine-cyclobenzaprine; 500mg Codeine/Diclofenac 100mg Clonixin and an Aspirin helps me through the day... is there some better option for hard Bruxism? what about Pregabalin? is not that Codeine doesn't work, but I don't want to get addicted :|

This is a side effect caused by your Effexor that you need to discuss with your doctor. For the most part, Bruxism isn't treated with medications other than muscle relaxants apart from stress relief therapy and biofeedback, where doctors monitor your jaw activity and teach you how to control it better. In this case, it's occuring during your sleep. Cyclobenzaprine is an amazing muscle relaxer for all aspects (I personally am prescribed it for muscle spasms in my back) as well as Zanaflex/Tizanidine.

The point is, medications aren't very effective for teeth grinding. I highly suggest you talk to your doctor about switching your medication. Good luck!

Effexor was a nightmare drug for me.

Anyhow, a benzo may be the best route for bruxism. A low dose valium, not xanax. Since opiates/amphs are prone to make bruxism worse.

Try natural routes like chewing bubblegum before bed, hot relaxing bath, mouth tension exercises.

Have you invested in a night guard for your teeth?

Effexor was a nightmare drug for me.

Anyhow, a benzo may be the best route for bruxism. A low dose valium, not xanax. Since opiates/amphs are prone to make bruxism worse.

Try natural routes like chewing bubblegum before bed, hot relaxing bath, mouth tension exercises.

Have you invested in a night guard for your teeth?

Really? natural opiates makes Bruxism worse? any source on that? 8(

^^^ what those guys said

instead of finding a way to dull the pain of your teeth eroding away i'd focus more on saving that pretty smile of yours

^^^ what those guys said

instead of finding a way to dull the pain of your teeth eroding away i'd focus more on saving that pretty smile of yours

Did you just assumed my gender? how dare you.

Nah just kidding, I'm dude. And regarding the medication, I did 500mg Codeine during the day and could work and eat perfectly, but it was 4.30pm and already I ran out of the 10 pills. I did taken some real grapefruit juice before the Codeine, but even with that, I think it doesn't last too long (like, for the night until tomorrow morning), so I am doing some Tramadol with lots of Lorazepam (mostly for seizures, you know, the mixing of the Codeine, the Tramadol itself, etc.) even if I don't have pain right now, because I don't know how much will the Codeine last and don't want to risk it. And yeah, my Bruxism has already "squashed" some of my teeth, the pain is incredible.

haaa 'mind your pronouns!' ahaha
i'm an attack helicopter

but yeah, i would try and fix the root (excuse the pun) of the problem i.e.: damaged teeth, rather than just cover the injury up with pain killers whilst all the while it gets worse.
and then i would rain death from above and kill needlessly

Today I was given Pregabalin, Diazepam and Lorazepam to take until I can get hold of a teeth mold to use when I sleep. So far, the Pregabalin is working very nice.

Even tho that question was directed toward delphinen, I believe I can answer. One is probably for sleep/winding down/overall longer effect and the other one for peak anxiety situations.

ahh makes sense - doctors in the UK are pretty hard to get even a short course of generic diazepam out of let alone two different brands! ha

Treat the symptoms- get a hard splint to grind against rather than wearing tooth on tooth

Treat the cause- see an ENT. You're most likely have poor airways, either blocked nasal and sinus passages, probably a narrow palate (did you ever have teeth extracted as a child, were bottle fed or suck your thumb past 2 yr old?). Do you also snore? Bruxing has a strong correlation with airway and breathing issues. Gastric reflux, cardiovascular and thyroid issues are all related to bruxing.

"Muscle relaxants" will not have any effect on strength or control of bruxing

try magnesium supplenets

good advice

if getting the pill form dont get magnesium sulfate magnesium oxide instead try to get it thru some type of food (almond milk, meats like fish and some veggies is good) or get Magnesium oxalate / magnesium *** (should be in the same isle as the oxalate) and take them directly after a meal. Also try not to supplement Zinc or Calcium at the same time as the Magnesium (time them differently) as it affects their absorbability

First, the whole grapefruit thing only works with like Morphine & stuff am I right?

Codeine needs to be metabolized into morphine, though it has analgesic effect of its own, but a good amount is from the metabolism yielding morphine.

I can't believe that Effexor would cause bruxism, and Effexor + Tram sounds a little risky w/serotonin syndrome, which I believe CAN cause grinding.

I take Ritalin/Amphetamine quite frequently(always in combo with ample Hydro doseages), and at normal doses no bruxism occurs, but if I use a lot, I will CERTAINLY end up clenching, licking, etc....even when I'm on 75mg Norco +.

The benzodiazepine route would be best IMO when it comes to SNRI-induced bruxism. Temazepam IMO is best, but good luck getting a Rx.

I'd ask your doc about the Effexor dose Esp....when mixed with Tramadol, they're BOTH SNRI, so that could lead to a lot of Serotonin, a lot of Norepeniphrine, so beware.

@Treefa^

Wikipedia -
Furanocoumarins irreversibly inhibit a cytochrome P450 metabolizing enzyme called CYP3A4. CYP3A4 is a metabolizing enzyme for almost 50% of drugs, and is found in the liver and small intestinal epithelial cells. As a result, many drugs are impacted by consumption of grapefruit juice.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0801/p391.html Different types of enzymes and substrates and their effects on metabolism etc - The most interesting resource I found through a quick google search

https://www.pharmgkb.org/pathway/PA146123006 About codeine's various metabolic pathways etc

Hmm so based on this I kind of gleaned an answer to your question but not really clear, seems that Codeine->Morphine is handled by a different enzyme than CYP3A4, but codeine->norcodeine

So perhaps by inhibiting CYP3A4 one can stifle the -->norcodeine thus opening up codeine to linger for longer and have more of it available for metabolism to morphine?

Genetic variations will cause the response to vary

This response got way longer than I intended but hopefully it answers your question