• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzos for sleep

Hey there OP! Sorry to hear that you're wrapped up in the Benzodiazepine game right now. While Benzodiazepine therapy typically begins with good intentions and great efficacy, however, the tale typically features a less-than-happy ending.

If you want my honest opinion here it is. You shouldn't have been on Benzodiazepines for longer than the few weeks or so mandated by the medical community at large. It's not your fault, but it is well-known and nearly expected for addiction and dependence do occur following chronic administration of Benzodiazepines. The fact that your Temazepam (Restoril) is no longer working is a sign that it is time to address the role of Benzodiazepines in your life. Your dependence/tolerance will certainly not decrease on its own.

Increasing the dose is absolutely not the answer. By increasing the dose, you will be further increasing your tolerance and will reach a point where the newly increased dosage is no longer effective and you will be repeating this very same process. Please, and I say this as someone who actually gives a fuck, absolutely, positively do not be experimenting with a higher dosage. I understand how appealing this practice may seem when you're lying awake, unable to sleep, but in the long-run, you will feel better.

Firstly i want to say thank you for the interest and actually care and interest that this nasty benzo route can have on you as an individual ( dont really want to branch out further then that ). BUt thank you for giving a F###. The thing is i have been on benzos my whole life, roughly the last 10-12 yrs so i have a good understanding of them and what they do and the dependency they can cause and even at times cause more harm then good (please don't quote me on this as every person is different). Anyhow so i have been use to benzos my whole life basicly, mostly using them on a daily baisis and during the day for severe anxiety and mood swings ( also take note other meds are also in the mix ). But benzos was never really used for sleep. Dopaquel/Seroquel was usely used for me as a sleep aid but that stuff can mess you up and make you duh ( or at least for me the next). So after speaking to my Shrink I suggested benzos for sleep as Z-drugs also stopped working or keeping me a sleep.

So guess with that said after years off being on and off this and that, this is what im exp with now with the supervision of a medical practitioner. End goal is to drop daily benzo dose and finding the minimum dose of other meds for sleep.

Im also experimenting with Medicinal Cannabis strains high in cbd for insomnia but they are just hard to find or quality is not always guaranteed at the moment. But im sure as the Cannabis scene grows here by us and more is available on the medicinal front, i will have better and more healthier options my way.

On a side note: Last night i took nothing like i said for sleep as i had a very active and busy day till late at night thinking that this would be the perfect time to see what a very busy/active day will do for my sleep pattern and overall so i went to bed at 10ish and slept but not in a comfortable manner. More of a tossing and turning sleep so to speak as mentioned earlier.

Morning all. So it's 06:29.. sorry I just had a spliff of cali orange and I'm a bit very baked. Excuse me but I will get back to this thread just now.. just a bit to um yeah..

Last edited:
Just thought i'd throw this one out there because it's not on your list of benzos.

Loprazolam. Not to be confused with lorazepam.

Cool thing about it is it's one of the very few benzo's with high water solubility. So sublingual administration is very effective.

I take diazepam every day and these little fuckers still knock me out pretty good.

If you're fine with rcs nitrazolam, norflurazepam, flubromazepam, flualprazolam, flubromazolam and flunitrazolam. Quite a few of these are extremely potent so dose low.

Evening all and sorry for the late or delayed update so to speak.

@ Barry big tits, Loprazolam is not available in my country so that wont be an option.

@ White55, axactly the same all the chems you just mentioned aren't available here except for the nitrazepam. So out of luck there.

Anyhow getting back to the main reason of the thread here is the feedback so far. So i tried 30mg of flurazepam at my normal night time dose and within an hour roughly i felt it but not hard enough to make me wanna go asleep directly, 30 min odd i went to bed and had a good nights rest with only waking up once and that was for a bathroom call. So overall it did it's job with now real complaints. I had a decent nights rest and when i woke up i had that cali orange which just made me mentally stimulated and then i proceeded to clean my room and moving to the back garden to get stuck there with all my plants in the garden.

So flurazepam is also doing the job so far without any amnesia effect or the feeling like i have a drug hangover if you know what i mean.

i actually just want to try 15mg tonight as i got the doc to give me 15mg x60 caps instead of 30 x30mg caps. Just want to see how this will affect my sleep plus i also had a very busy day, physically taxing so maybe that will add to the nights rest.

Another i wwanna mention is that one of the things that keeps me out of sleep is the restlessness. So obviously i suffer from RLS but also seem to get it in my arms, mainly my forearms and hands. Just like RLS it gets so bad that no matter which way i lay or what my arms just cant get comfy and then i need to move them constantly. So that with the RLS and insomnia (which i think is created mostly from the restlessness or pain i feel in my arms and legs)

So any input or help there will help. Maybe i need to look at a benzo that is strong both in the hypnotic and muscle relaxant department.

Where are you from? Without going too far regarding sourcing I'm sure you could find rc vendors that ship to your location.

Where are you from? Without going too far regarding sourcing I'm sure you could find rc vendors that ship to your location.

From south Africa bud.

But I'm hoping for some input on the restlessness in my arms and slight pain so to speak like one would get with RLS. So any input here would be grately appreciated from anyone please. Not even the docs have any direct input or help as things are now and I have explained this to them many times over.

So has anyone had this and found something to work or am I an alien with these crazy symptoms.

I get weird feelings in my arms and legs sometimes, like that twitchy feeling you get right before or after a muscle cramp...Cyclobenzaprine works like a charm... knocks me out but I'm sleepy the whole next day.

Morning all. So last night was only 15mg of flurazepam. I still had a good nights rest so to speak. i fell asleep easily but did not have a good nights rest as my my nights rest was filled with nightmares, just having one after the other one so that disrupted my sleep badly. And by 4ish this morning I was awake with that restlessness feeling in my legs and arms again.
I'm starting to think that I should try a muscle relaxtant like baclofen maybe at night or gabapentin, but I also know that a persons tolerance to gabbies picks up fast.
Any input on this maybe, will a muscle relaxant maybe improve my sleep?

Benzos suppress rem sleep (the most vivid dreams happen at that time) you are now experiencing a rebound in rem sleep so this is normal. It's unfortunate that you're getting nightmares and not some awesome and vivid dreams instead but afaik there isn't much that can be done (at least not pharmacologically other than suppressing rem sleep with more benzos which would work against your goals.

Benzos suppress rem sleep (the most vivid dreams happen at that time) you are now experiencing a rebound in rem sleep so this is normal. It's unfortunate that you're getting nightmares and not some awesome and vivid dreams instead but afaik there isn't much that can be done (at least not pharmacologically other than suppressing rem sleep with more benzos which would work against your goals.

Yeah it sucks, would love to have some awesome vivid dreams but seems last night I was plagued with nasty nightmares. But thanks for letting me know that. Never knew benzos had that affect. Cause normally for me or so far my rest/sleep at night was normally dreamless. And when I dreamt it was always between 4-6 in the morning.

Temazepam does not do this.

Yeah it sucks, would love to have some awesome vivid dreams but seems last night I was plagued with nasty nightmares. But thanks for letting me know that. Never knew benzos had that affect. Cause normally for me or so far my rest/sleep at night was normally dreamless. And when I dreamt it was always between 4-6 in the morning.

To be honest I'm much happier without dreams, it is one of the best things about benzo induced sleep.

To be honest I'm much happier without dreams, it is one of the best things about benzo induced sleep.
Well not sure about the temazepam part but I find it as it is a crappy benzo, sorry for offending all temazepam lovers.

Okay last night I took no benzos or sleep aids as I went out with friends to celebrate my mates bday, so I drank last night and quite a bit so I didn't take anything when I got home which was just after 2 this morning. I slept till about 7ish and woke up with a babalas of note lol. So I can't really report back on the dalmadorm. I obviously slept well between 2 and 7 but that was because of the alcohol consumed. So no feedback there.

Anyone maybe have any input on my other question about maybe using muscle relaxants to help with the restlessness I get in my legs and arms...

I think this applies..have you tried it? (Flexeril)

I get weird feelings in my arms and legs sometimes, like that twitchy feeling you get right before or after a muscle cramp...Cyclobenzaprine works like a charm... knocks me out but I'm sleepy the whole next day.

Okay to report back. 15mg of dalmadorm so far seems to do the trick. Not the best nights sleep but a lot better then usual and plus my dosages aren't that high, which is a plus as well. I had a look at flexeril and will discuss it with my doc next week. Plus I also don't think that dalmadorm has any strong muscle relaxant properties.

Thanks for all the feedback and input so far from everyone.

On another note I have also started to lower my daily benzo doses to try and keep that to a minimum too.

Fine benzos in general :)

After taking them for long periods of time and then stopping the dreams are really the only WD symptom I get (I can take grams of flunitrazolam, flualprazolam, flubromazolam, ... and just stop without any WDs, yay genetics.... usually I take them for a few months until tolerance becomes too high (as in 10 mg flubromazolam is a light buzz), stop for a few weeks/months get back to baseline tolerance (2 mg diazepam = light buzz). But mine aren't nightmares, just extremely vivid normal dreams. One time I dreamt that me and a few friends were flying a helicopter from which we dropped a bomb on a skyscraper but the bomb failed to explode and just bounced off harmlessly. I've had plenty other interesting ones but since I don't write them down they fade from memory relatively quickly. Honestly for me stimulant wds are a lot worse because I have no energy and just want to sleep.

This lack of benzo wds is extremely atypical so anyone taking them should slowly taper down (a slow enough taper should be pretty much free of side effects). Just stopping will give most people horrible wds with potentially deadly seizures.

I have tried everything for muscle tension/spasticity as it's the major cause of my severe chronic pain. I had no luck with Flexeril or any of the other skeletal muscle relaxants. Baclofen had no effect but many find it useful. Soma (carisoprodal) helps somewhat but as it's not available here I haven't tried it since my pain got really bad. Diazepam is by far & away the best muscle relaxant for me. I find clonazepam, on its own, has a mild muscle relaxant effect, about 10% the effect of diaz. But interestingly, when I combine it in low doses (.25-1mg + 5-20m)) with my diaz I get a small but worthwhile synergistic effect. More than 1mg clonaz doesn't yield any further benefits & generally they max out at .5mg. At those doses, the combo leaves me less groggy than clonaz on its own would, strangely.

I almost never dream (or at least, I don't remember any dreams) on benzos. It's the worst side effect by far for me. I've had maybe 6 dreams in the past 12yrs. :(

hey all. So i have tried all the benzos mentioned throughout this thread for insomnia and they all work but only till a certain agree. But none give me a full nights rest. I always seem to wake up in the early morning hours of 3-4am with restlessness and that is keeping me awake and leaving me unimpressed. One thing that does work is a combo of benzos and opiates or benzos and gabbies but that again is not what i need. I still try to have night where i use no benzos or anything and try sleep throughout the night but only still manage a proper 4 hours sleep. Guess what im gonna do is only use the benzos at night when really needed and try keep the night benzos free as i don't wanted to make an already addiction worse.

anyhow, thanks for the support and input so far. Guess i need help in a more in depth way then i realized

Hey all

For anyone interested im taking my Dalmadorm at night for sleep but also trying to swap between Halcion. I find Halcion to make me sleep quicker but not longer and the Dalmadorm the opposite. And also taking a break every 3-4thy night. But my main issue is still the restlessness i get in my arms and legs which kicks in normally at 3-4am in the mornings and that just irritates me to the point of just getting up and then being active even though there isn't much to do at that time of the morning. I also find heating my legs up helping but only for a short time, then after that im tossing and turning again. Im still trying to source flexeril but nothing so far. Anyhow that's my update on my current situation.

thanks to all that has shown interest and has helped so far