• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos and weight gain

LisaSue2015

Bluelighter
Do all or most of the Benzo drugs cause weight gain?

I was not aware of this.

The one I am on Xaxax says it can go both ways either weight gain or weight loss, appetite or no appetite.

I am leaning on going back to Klonapin causes no weight at all and has a good half life. It is not that strong but I will deal with it.

Thanks in advance.

hmmmm, funny you say this because I've been using benzos AGAIN more and more, and gained close to 20lbs over the past 4 month since using xanny and etizolam - hmmmmmmmmmm, just funny that you say that.

who else has seen this?

But with Klonapin it does not do that. Is Klonapin considered a benzo?

I know Zoloft, paxil, prozac, and some of those others are all weight gainers. But I had no idea about benzos. I just knew Klonapin did not and I thought Klonapin was a benzo so I assumed no benzos made you gain weight then my husband told me Klonapin is not a benzo. So confusing.

Before me being on anything besides just buspar I gained over 40 lbs just from anxiety, depression, fear etc.

yea, the pins are benzos, too!

I am not 100% sure of the weight gain but was just saying I've noticed a slight change; I am also on suboxone and have been somewhat "sober" for the past 4 months, so I am sure not using heroin daily has made the weight come back as well, lol. but wondering if benzos also are part of the reason.

I gained a lot of weight with Xanax and etizolam too. They make me want to eat more at night. But I never took clonazepam steadily so have no experience with that one. The worst one for me was Seroquel. I would just shovel down food I would normally never even eat! Didn't have the hunger problem with SSRI type antidepressants though. Your mileage may vary. Welcome to Bluelight!

yes benzos and sleeping pills make u eat like a horse at night. and of course klonopin is a benzo....its pretty much the strongest one. also most dangerous

seroquel definitely gave me a case of the midnight munchies. The problem was I would not remember eating but I was gaining weight rapidly.

Every time I ate a benzodiazepine I have munchies like crazy. Craving weird stuff like a pregnant woman. Yea just try to limit how much you munchy...

I gained a lot of weight with Xanax and etizolam too. They make me want to eat more at night. But I never took clonazepam steadily so have no experience with that one. The worst one for me was Seroquel. I would just shovel down food I would normally never even eat! Didn't have the hunger problem with SSRI type antidepressants though. Your mileage may vary. Welcome to Bluelight!

Hi. Did you take Xanax or Xanax XR? My hunger did not really increase with the Xanax but I am taking .5 every 3 - 4 hours. But want to go back to the Klonapin. But I have so much stress in my house and situations that just getting through a day sometimes I do not know if I can so I think that is why my appetite lessened. If things get like so so so bad. With Xanax said different for different people. What antianxiety drug did you consider a good one? This Xanax is not working for me. I am going to get to the doctor sooner than later it looks like. Thanks for the welcome:)

yes benzos and sleeping pills make u eat like a horse at night. and of course klonopin is a benzo....its pretty much the strongest one. also most dangerous

Yes, I realized Klonopin is a benzo. I misunderstood my husband. Wow! I wish it felt strong for me. I was taking 1 mg 3x a day. I still continued to yell, stress out etc. But we have a lot of things going on.

What worked for you?

If I switch from the Xanax back to the Klonopin I hope that I do not get effects from it. I do not even know if what I am experiencing from going from Klonopin to Xanax are any effects.

so many people mention seroquel as something that made them gain serious weight; its so weird because I took it for months and months but NEVER had a problem; I actually kept somewhat the "same" when using it. then again, I was also shooting dope daily, so maybe that played a part. but dope always made me hungry after I'd shoot, too.

but lately between xanny and etizolam I've been eating like a fucking beast! dude, 20lb over the course of 4 months. I am still not fat but I am 5'9 and 170lbs roughly; I used to be around 150/155lbs at MOST! and I always thought 160 would be my best weight to look "normal" but nah I am a fat guy instead, lol.

I put on about 20 lbs in the course of my benzo abuse/withdrawal. They can definitely make you lazy and cause blackout eating binges for some people. I assumed I'd lose weight when I quit, but only gained more. Could NOT stop overeating probably due to the stress of withdrawal. Strict calorie counting and daily exercise for 1.5 years did not take even a pound off.

I'm now 22 months clean and have JUST started to see the scale move. Lost 8 lbs in a few weeks out of nowhere. Benzos definitely have unexpected side effects on various body systems. I've seen several people on benzobuddies.org complain of hypothyroidism, bowel problems and weight gain/loss.

the fucked up thing is in the morning yer like "where did my leftovers go?" that has happened to me numerous times and i cant even remember the good taste of the food. this was on xanax, ativan restoril, and kpins.

Therapy will probably help quite a lot more with the yelling and stress of running a household.
planning also helps a lot.
Also remember to take breaks, everyone needs a break from kids every once in a while.

What is the evidence?

I hadn't ever heard anything about weight gain from benzodiazepines prior to reading this thread.

Indeed, I never even considered it. I've been using benzodiazepines and other types of GABAergics (my drugs of choice) at least once every week for over 6 consecutive years. And I've always been rather gaunt and gangling—a 100% ectomorph. My weight: about 57 kg or 125 lb (as a 175 cm/5 ft 9 in tall male).

I weighed more when I was 13 years old (before I ever tried a benzo) than I do now at 21 (as a full-blown, full-time, unapologetic, benzo-popping aficionado) and that is because I was erroneously diagnosed with depression as a youth and quickly placed on a diet of anti-depressants, which rapidly transformed my physical appearance from scrawny and emaciated to stout and embonpoint. Also gave me impotence—those detestable depression meds—until I threw 'em in the garbage and quit cold turkey, vowing never to take them lest I lose functionality of my beloved wiener again. But I digress.

Last edited:
It was hard to tell if xanax caused me to gain weight due to all the coke I was using,but they switched me to Klonopin didnt get me high but can take 2mg and it will hold me till the next day although im more comftable taking another 2mg in the evening most days..

Seems when I was taking 1 mg of klonopin for my anxiety I told her 1 1/2 seems to work better. She looked at me and made a face and said something like in a way that she can report it then I can be on a list (registry). I personally think I would do great on 1/2 mg 3x a day on klonapin (perfect) even better than 1mg 4x a day. But I guess my body would eventually get immune to it.

I cannot stand Xanax. I am going to my Pychiatrist hopefully this week if I have enough money to get there and switching back to probably klonopin. I have been so much worse with Xanax. But my situation has been bad also. I am also in therapy. And I also have a family counselor come to my home also. Are you a screamer? I get set off quickly? But like previous post said, I really need a break from my children? Because of bad financial status, I can hardly afford that. They start school soon though.

It was hard to tell if xanax caused me to gain weight due to all the coke I was using,but they switched me to Klonopin didnt get me high but can take 2mg and it will hold me till the next day although im more comftable taking another 2mg in the evening most days..