• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzos and social disinhibition

GrymReefer

Bluelight Crew
I'm someone who has begun a frequency of consuming benzo compounds, but not to a significant degree that one might find in a recreational forum. However, even with my minuscule dosage I still inevitably become more agitated/aggressive/confrontational. Is this something that is intrinsic to the user itself? or is there something environmentally i'm being unaware of? It's not full on violence and that's not really my nature to begin with, but the way at which I address an individual after 2-3 days of 2mg-6mg at night is drastically different.

I see that social disinhibition is a known side effect that occurs with benzo use, but I'm trying to get some personal experiences/takes on how you went about dealing with it. I have no problem stopping as I don't really have a craving at all. It's just something to mellow myself out with at night. The dosage is 1mg clonazapam. I sometimes take 1-2 before bed sometimes 3-4, but I never extend beyond 5 days of use as I like to give myself a few days to readjust my mind. Being a former addict it's become kind of a new habit that whenever I use substances whether they are prescribed or not, if they have recreational value and potential for abuse I try to do my best to control the field even if that's just proving to myself I don't need something for 2-3 days just to do it. A weird reminder I haven't lost control of myself.

Clonazepam is long acting, is it just at night that you have these problems? Or in the day also. I know that I can get 'unaware' of my somewhat belligerent behavior with benzos, and even more so with opioids.

Not to the extent of EtOH, but noticeable when someone gets defensive.

I get iritable on tramadol and oxycodone a lot, on morphine or fent on the other hand I don't lol so i don't know what it is related to.

in my case clonazepam always solved this issue rather than creating it, one thing I noticed about this with the opioids that it may vary depending on the dosage, you could decrease your dosage and play around with it till you get to 1mg again and analyse at which dosage it drives you mad, it would be ok to write down the moments you become confrontational and why did you became like that plus the dosage and the time you took the clonazepam, after 2-3 weeks of this you can go over the information and draw the conclusions yourself.

OT: is the wow guild stressing you out? :ROFLMAO: I'm gonna come on in a few days , I'm just changing flats

Clonazepam is long acting, is it just at night that you have these problems? Or in the day also. I know that I can get 'unaware' of my somewhat belligerent behavior with benzos, and even more so with opioids.

Not to the extent of EtOH, but noticeable when someone gets defensive.

It's the following morning, but it occurs after a few days of taking my usual dosages at night. It's like an accumulative effect that eventually leads to disinhibition that I can recognize only after I was an asshole.

So you would say it's dose dependent, and would you characterize the following morning as being tired and foggy, or well rested and feeling fine?

I get extremely emotional very quickly after a few days of heavy use. I wouldn't necessarily say violent, but definitely confrontational. Easily upset.

For me it's like they help me bottle everything up for a while but it all ends up coming out, one way or another.

You'd think I'd have learned by now :\

I'm someone who has begun a frequency of consuming benzo compounds, but not to a significant degree that one might find in a recreational forum. However, even with my minuscule dosage I still inevitably become more agitated/aggressive/confrontational. Is this something that is intrinsic to the user itself? or is there something environmentally i'm being unaware of? It's not full on violence and that's not really my nature to begin with, but the way at which I address an individual after 2-3 days of 2mg-6mg at night is drastically different.

I see that social disinhibition is a known side effect that occurs with benzo use, but I'm trying to get some personal experiences/takes on how you went about dealing with it. I have no problem stopping as I don't really have a craving at all. It's just something to mellow myself out with at night. The dosage is 1mg clonazapam. I sometimes take 1-2 before bed sometimes 3-4, but I never extend beyond 5 days of use as I like to give myself a few days to readjust my mind. Being a former addict it's become kind of a new habit that whenever I use substances whether they are prescribed or not, if they have recreational value and potential for abuse I try to do my best to control the field even if that's just proving to myself I don't need something for 2-3 days just to do it. A weird reminder I haven't lost control of myself.

Well I take 1.5mgs of Klonopin daily and I don't get more aggressive on it.

The only way it will sometimes make me more agitated sometimes is cause too much can make me groggy and interfere with my sleep and not sleeping well makes me irritable, but that's as far as it extends and is probably not at all the kind of aggression you are talking about, and it doesn't usually happen, and even if it does it just might make me a little bit snippy with people and want to be left alone, but it's not common.

I've heard of this happening with other people, just kind of like some people are aggressive drunks and some aren't, and booze is also GABAergic, so I think it comes down to personal biochemistry and personality.

It's the following morning, but it occurs after a few days of taking my usual dosages at night. It's like an accumulative effect that eventually leads to disinhibition that I can recognize only after I was an asshole.

Just saw this, and you could perhaps be dealing with what I mentioned as far as being irritable because of Klonopin's bad effect on sleep.

I personally REALLY need to find a way to take my dose IN THE MORNING and not at night because even though Klonopin lasts 12 hours and has a super long half life of like a few days or something, still, it makes sense that if you go to bed after those 12 hours when it is TRULY active, even though it will still be in your bloodstream, that your sleep will be at least SOMEWHAT less negatively effected, but I have gotten so used to taking it to help me fall asleep that it is very hard for me to fall asleep without it.

So I will often wake up groggier than I would be off of it and drink coffee to wake up, but that's no substitute for sleep, and be a bit irritable and snap at people sometimes, but not STRAIGHT UP AGGRESSIVE...and I'm not sure exactly what kind of aggression you are talking about.

Could you give me an example of how you will act when it makes you feel aggressive/irritable??

The negative effect of Klonopin on sleep is the number one reason I would REALLY like to taper to a small amount and even taper off if possible, but i don't believe tapering off completely would be possible now.

If I could even get to the point where i took half my dose in the morning and half at night I bet I'd sleep somewhat better and wake up less irritable.

So it is possible that the negative effect it is having on your REM sleep makes you irritable the next day like it does to me, and couple that with days in a row of taking it and you aren't sleeping properly and it's probably having a cumulative effect and making you more irritable.

This is a very big issue for me, even though I don't get straight up aggressive, as I am really never getting the truly quality sleep I get off of benzos so I don't feel as well rested, and I swear someday I am going to get off these pills, but I can't at the moment. It's just a matter of when and how.

Maybe try taking it in the morning and not going to sleep for at least 12 hours after you have taken it and also leave a day in between your doses and see if you still wake up feeling irritable.

Last edited:

Reducing inhibitions is the primary purpose of benzos to begin with, it's why they're so effective at treating anxiety.

As for causing a short temper, this can happen to me on alprazolam sometimes so I know what you're talking about. It's called a paradoxical recreation when benzos cause rage instead of chill. It's a pretty common issue and often trying a different benzo can fix the problem because each benzo is selective for different GABA receptors.

Also it sounds like you're trying to use medically not recreationally is that right? If so does this only happen with high doses, and if so is there any reason you actually need the high doses? 1-2mg clonazepam is usually enough to handle my anxiety all day. 2mg only if my anxiety is especially bad, 1mg for a normal day to reduce general anxiety, and keep in mind I have a mid-level tolerance and 0.5mg used to do the trick just fine.

So what I'm asking really is why are you taking up to 6mg to begin with? Is it to get high? Is it just compulsive redosing? Is it because you don't feel lower doses are doing the job therapeutically? Keep in mind clonazepam is a more subtle benzo you won't necessary "feel" working.

Finally as others have said clonazepam is long acting and has a long half-life. Taking 2-3 days off might not be enough time for it to all get out of your system especially if you use such high doses.

Ultimately if you can't take clonazepam without redosing and getting angry with people I recommend trying one of the many other benzos. It sounds like you have a script so explain to your doc it reduces your anxiety levels but seems to cause you to act rude to those around you while you're on it, is it possible to try another benzo? It is entirely possible that diazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam, etc will not give you the same problems.

I find it's akin to being a bad drunk - the higher my benzo dose gets the more likely I am to be an unreasonable angry / snappy / rude human being. And have no recollection of it the following day.