• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzodiazepines, Half-Lives, and Psychedelics

Druidus

Bluelighter
First off, I've used the search engine (I'm not trying to ask answered questions intentionally, so I'm sorry if this specific question has been answered previously), and I've read several threads that helped me a little, but most are geared towards mixing the two intentionally, or taking benzos before/after the trip. I was having trouble finding info re: benzodiazepines left in your system due to their half-lives. Any help you folk can offer is much appreciated, and I hope this is the right forum. I would have put it in the psychedelics forum, but more people in OD would know about benzodiazepine related questions. Thanks to any/all who can give me some answers to my question/s.

So I am prescribed two 0.5mg clonazepam per day. I haven't taken that in a few weeks. However, for about a tenday I've been taking 10mg diazepams, instead of my clonazpam. High doses, too, over 100mg of the benzo on some days. I know that diazepam has a ludicrously long half-life, and that leads to my question:

If I were to do mushrooms, having not taken any benzos today, and only 30-35mg of valium yesterday, would the diazepam still in my system due to the long half-life diminish the trip? Over the last tenday I've had maybe ~250-325mg of diazepam, so I don't know how much is still in my blood and still acting on my brain. I have plenty of fungal samples, so I'm not worried about wasting a dose; I'd just wait ten days after the first one, avoiding any benzodiazepines. I basically just want to know before I take my dose of mushies tonight, because I'm suposed to do them with a friend and tonight is our only opportunity due to school/work/other-responsibilities/etc. (he's going for his PhD in Philosophy, for example, so we're not often free on the same days at the same times. I really want to trip with him, I'll probably be taking some of the mushies even if the residual diazepam lowers the intensity of the psychedelic experience; I just want to know how much it may reduce it, if it will at all. I know no one can give a definitive answer without all the info, but I'm just looking for a reasonable estimate, if I've had, for simplicity's sake, 300mg over seven to ten days, and only 30-35mg yesterday and not much more than that the day before yesterday. Again, I've taken no benzodiazepines today. Last dose of a benzo was roughly 24 hours ago.

Thou art God, PLUR, Much Love!

I was curious about this as well. It makes sense though eh? If the metabolites would still be acting on your body and may block a psych trip. The sad part is, nobody knows how your body metabolizes diazepam. The half life ranges from 20-200 Hrs iirc. Your best bet imo would be to maybe wait until next week and refrain from using Benzos. Unless you try it yourself and see how you react to the mushrooms. Probably just a more chilled out high. But those Diazepam doses are quite high and are likely still acting on your CNS.

I was curious about this as well. It makes sense though eh? If the metabolites would still be acting on your body and may block a psych trip. The sad part is, nobody knows how your body metabolizes diazepam. The half life ranges from 20-200 Hrs iirc. Your best bet imo would be to maybe wait until next week and refrain from using Benzos. Unless you try it yourself and see how you react to the mushrooms. Probably just a more chilled out high. But those Diazepam doses are quite high and are likely still acting on your CNS.

Yeah, I know there's def. some active diazepam metabolites in my blood for sure, and likely some diazepam itself still. But all the subjective effects seem gone, like the sedation, anti-anxiolytic action, etc. I might not be able to do it with this particular friend next weekend as finals are approaching and he's busy with research, writing, and working for his university as well. I'll still take some today, I'm just hoping it won't be too diminished.

btw, if the trip isn't too diminished, if it's actually too strong and I get uncomfortable with the experience, would zopiclone (sp?) help to reduce the psychedelic effects? I don't think I'll need to, but it's nice to know in advance. I also have trazodone I could use, if it, too, would have a reducing effect on the intensity of the experience; please let me know if that would help in such an event, too.

I might be able to scrounge up a few of my 0.5mg clonazepams, which I know will basically end the trip, but just in case I can't, knowing about the above two drugs would be quite useful.

Thanks for the quick response, man. I'll wait for more, and end up dosing some of the mushies tonight no matter what, so I'll report back on the subjective effects that I get even with the diazepam and its active metabolites in my system. For science! ;)

If you're dependent on benzodiazepines then I think you should take your usual dose or you could be at increased seizure risk.

You want to be well clear of them & make sure you're not suffering any rebound effects before doing other drugs really. Not just clear from your system, but you need to be clear of any rebound/withdrawal effects too.

Mixing psychedelics & benzodiazepines is usually safe, although you'll get dulled effects. You don't want to mix psychedelics with benzo withdrawals.

Last edited:
Nah, I'm not dependant on benzos anymore. I used to be, from age 18-22 or so, but I'm not taking them like I was then anymore. I was just a kidiot back then. I was actually prescribed 2.5mg of alprazolam/Xanax; 3.5mg lorazepam/Ativan; and 60mg temazepam/Restoril(I think that's the brand), all per day. That's a shitload of benzos, and taking them as prescribed led to a terrible dependancy which I'm well clear of now. I won't be withdrawing from benzodiazepines tonight, or in the future, don't worry about that.

I get 2 0.5 clonazepam tablets per day, but I don't always take them. I usually take none and save up the k-pins in case of emergencies and/or ( ;) ) I want to have a particularly fun night. I just had a bunch of diazepam, which I love and enjoy much more than clonazepam, so I've been going a bit overboard for the last week to a tenday. This isn't my normal usage pattern at all, it's only beeb 7-10 days of relatively heavy benzo use; meaning I doubt that I'll have developed a physical addiction during that time. So I'm good on that end.

As to your last sentence, I know it's safe, and I know mixing them results in a dulled psychedelia. But I'm asking about benzo and benzo metabolites that are still left over in my blood after cessation of benzo dosing, not about mixing the two.

Thanks for the reply, bro, any info I get re: this is good info in my book.

Thou art God, PLUR, Much Love!

So I went ahead with it, I took 2.5 grams and tripped balls. I guess either I metabolize diazepam faster, or the metabolites and remaining diazepam had no real effect on the trip.

I then did them again, the second day, at about 4.5 grams (to account for increased tolerance). Again, incredible trip, wonderful until the very end. The only bad thing was I was alone and I was craving human contact, towards the end of the trip. Now I plan to take it once more today, at an even higher dose to account for tolerance, and the fact that I took a few clonazepams earlier and had two beer. This will be the end of my mushroom adventure for at least a fortnight.

Diazepam's long half life doesn't correlate to it's reasonably short duration of effects.

Yes, it's Valium and it takes hours to be metabolized.

I've taken so much 2C-E and other psychedelics that benzos don't seem to dull my trips any more. Whatever anti-psychedelic properties they had in the beginning are long gone. Nowadays if I take Valium before or during a trip, all I get is a very sloppy and relaxing trip. It takes care of any anxiety and muscle tension but doesn't affect the body high or visuals at all, which is actually very nice.

I suppose the benzos wouldn't work either if I was coming down from coke or crack.

^^ always worked for me, but with a tolerance you may need a big dose (not endorsing doses above prescribed amount). Also, clonazepam isn't the best for trip killing in an uncomfortable situation, it takes too long to hit, sublingual admin will speed it up, but something like Xanax, etiz, flubromazolam, clonazolam - this one works nicely with strong LSD even if you're having fun - keep the dose low though - and would help immensely with cocaine come down, again tolerance dependent. I hate blow for this very reason and 100 more... I have a tolerance and only take clonazepam as prescribed it does dick to help me with coke come downs.

HR content: mixing Benzos and cocaine isn't an HR "endorsed" practice, best to skip the blow and kick back with some cannabis and a benzo. Much nicer, more social, legal (where i live), etc... Cannabis for everyone (that wants it)! That's HR info, not a directive to the OP. But, it is better for you than cut to shit blow or crack with cuts that freebase with the cocaine - yes, some do... amps pass right into crack, but a fish odor usually gives it away if cut with much amp, and it's not a common cut, as cost is usually a deterrent to using good phenethylamines that "freebase" just like cocaine and are usually oily and stinky using the baking soda method.