• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzodiazepine Withdrawal & Organic Solvents

adder

Bluelighter
Hey,

I quit benzodiazepines 16 months ago. The only remaining withdrawal symptom is dissociation and derealization. I've got tons of other problems like chronic depression, anxiety coming back out of nowhere for no obvious reason, lack of confidence, and so on, but I guess that's mostly due to low testosterone levels which I've recently found about and that's definitely because of Suboxone.

Anyway, one day a week I work at an organic lab and I have regular contact with volatile solvents like acetone, ethyl acetate, chloroform etc. I was slowly recovering and episodes of dissociation were rarer. But I've noticed that on the next day after working in the lab, my dissociation and derealization gets much worse to such an extent that I feel as if I was in a dream. I worked in the lab yesterday after a 3-week break, and today I'm like in a nightmare, everything seems so mechanical, people look like robots to me, it's the worst when it gets dark, the city at night looks like it was hell, everything feels evil.

Have any of you ever felt this way after quitting benzodiazepines and then having contact with organic solvents? I know that almost all of them interact with the GABA system more or less, so I can imagine they can be a trigger to cause a flashback of benzodiazepine withdrawal. The out-of-this-world feeling is actually even worse. I'm worried that I won't be able to work in an organic lab. I thought I'd be able to get my life back after spending basically all my youth in addiction, I was doing better and better, and now I've got more and more problems.:(

I would imagine you'd need to be in a pretty much unventilated lab for a long amount of time before solvent exposure got to psychoactive concentrations.

Stuff like acetone and ethyl acetate is pretty biologically mild, and even chloroform you need to consume a mL or two of before it exerts effects.

Maybe make an effort to get more fresh air breaks, or turn up the vent hoods while you're there.

I've been doing a lot of chromatography lately so I was basically spending a whole day in a room with solvents constantly evaporating, but you're right there are at least a couple of options to solve the problem.