• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzodiazepine Questions (Xanax, Specifically)

DizzyJuice

Greenlighter
So, i'll start with a brief history of my xanax usage. I have definitely had my fair share of issues with this drug, but i'm still in love with it.
I've actually gone as far as developing a very bad seizure disorder from my usage. I was taking in amounts of 10 bars a day at one point. (atleast 20mg)

I have wrecked cars and pretty much just threw away $13,000 cash being that i only had it for a month.

I know enough about this drug to understand that you HAVE to taper off, especially me already having epilepsy before ever experimenting with alprazolam.
Being addicted as long as i was, i know quite a bit about it, but now i would like to learn the things that actually matter.

I know i will probably get shit for posting this, but i am also willing to admit that yes, i have been to rehab twice for this, it has not been the easiest for me to quit obviously,
so please do not leave rude comments, as i am clearly seeking assistance and suggestions to be done once and for all.

Questions;

Now, i would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer this for me, i just relapsed after getting out of rehab and being sober for a month, i took 8mg. I currently have 40mg in the blue 1mg footballs.

If i am seeking to quit this drug, what is a SAFE amount to start tapering down with, and how long would i need to do so? I have accepted that i MUST be done with it this time, or i will more than
likely die in the next year with all of the stupid stunts i've pulled while under the influence. This was a slip up, and i regret it deeply, i truly thought i had conquered it this time.

How long is the half-life of xanax, and it seems like everyone has a different definition for this, or some people i have talked to about this question have been incorrect, What is YOUR definition of a half-life?

Please and thank-you for any suggestions the great members of blue-light can provide.

UPDATE: Would it be a good idea for me to seek a doctor and inform him that i need to taper off benzodiazepines if i get to using again, and if so,
wouldn't it be kind of an issue because of the time it takes to get in to see a doctor?

Last edited:
a usual good start is to drop 10% of your dose every 5 days. The plasma-elimination half-life is 11.2 hours, but the half-life of duration of effect is about 2 hours.

I have to ask, when you relapsed, did you continue your use or was it only one 8mg dose? because if you only relapsed for a day or two, you dont need to taper. But if youve gotten yourself back into your habit for a while, then you should definitely try to taper down in the method i stated above. As slowly as possible for yourself would be good. You might even want to start crushing parts of your footballs, so that you can lower dosages in super small increments.

The half life of alprazolam is about 12 hours (range of 6-26 hours). This refers to the terminal half life which is defined as the amount of time it takes for 50% of the drug to be removed from the plasma. This is short for benzodiazepines and means you will reach steady state (plasma levels remain constant with each dose) quicker than ones with longer half lives which isnt good because even relatively short binges can lead to enough drug in the blood that abrupt discontinuation can lead to benzo withdrawal.

^exactly, tapering off of alprazolam with alprazolam is sort of similar to tapering off heroin with heroin. Valium, or in your case, Clonazepam would be good options, clonazepam is way less psychologically addictive.

We need more information OP
Did you just take 8mg in one day?
Do you take medication for your seizure disorder?