• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Serious benzo withdrawal

jcascade

Greenlighter
my doctors father died y/day and while we are very diligent ,crap happens. 1/3rd of my benzos are xanax rest are clonazepam . i am going to be three days short . how long does withdrawal become physically symptomatic

my doctors father died y/day and while we are very diligent ,crap happens. 1/3rd of my benzos are xanax rest are clonazepam . i am going to be three days short . how long does withdrawal become physically symptomatic
You'll be fine, 3 days shouldn't impose too many effects but keep an eye on it. How much are you taking a day? Usage will effect how valid this answer is

10 2 mg clonaz daily . ive been on much higher . kinda tolerant ,thx so much,appreciate any thoughts

I always find day 3 to be the worst day, and the day that if I'm going to have a seizure, you can bet it's coming.
I managed to not take any for 5 days when I ran out. But I only take 1.5 mg daily. So I'm assuming you take more than that. To my understanding the seizure aspect only affects people who take larger doses, but I'm not completely sure.

You'll be fine, 3 days shouldn't impose too many effects but keep an eye on it. How much are you taking a day? Usage will effect how valid this answer is
I managed to not take any for 5 days when I ran out. But I only take 1.5 mg daily. So I'm assuming you take more than that. To my understanding the seizure aspect only affects people who take larger doses, but I'm not completely sure.
Sorry, but I just have to step in and say that this is irresponsible advice. Going 3-5 days without benzos after taking them daily for an extended period of time is highly unrecommended. I appreciate that you put in the disclaimer about dosage, but going forward this should be the first question before any statements like "you'll be fine" are made. While you may be right about the risk of seizure/psychosis to be very low with only a 3 day break, it isn't impossible, and aside from that, OP would likely be extremely uncomfortable and may even begin experiencing beginning stages of benzo WD- which is not something to be taken lightly.

Glad you made it 5 days without problem, but I've also had a seizure on day 5 or 6... Problems resulting from seizure/psychosis can last years(physical injury, family/social problems, legal trouble, etc- not just what's listed as a side effect of benzos).

@jcascade, I'd try to do a mild taper while you still have access to your medication so that you have some to hold you over on the 3 days you can't get access, and after that if you are unable to get access, it is a medical emergency and treat it as such. If that isn't an option, I'd try to talk to your doctor to see what other options are, either that or strap in and prepare to avoid all stress in those 3 days.. Clonazepam will probably take about 2- 3 days before you really start feeling it. Xanax will take about 6-12 hrs from the last dose, so by day 3 you'll definitely be feeling the withdraw if you are use to daily Xanax. If you can save some clonazepam to hold you over those 3 days, you'll likely be ok, but that is going to be a big drop regardless.

astonished that people care enough to advise me. end of day 1 ,i am good .i wish it was a typo . i have taken advice in and now scared . i ,in my worst years , was shopping,taking a lot more .health dep turned up at my house and set me up with doc to taper .any particular danger sign for hosp visit . i have my bottles with script details.

Last edited:

This has happened to me just from taking normal doses (10-20mg) of diazepam for a single week before.

Benzos are one of (if not the?) most powerful anticonvulsants on the planet; stop suddenly and you can expect seizures.

astonished that people care enough to advise me. end of day 1 ,i am good .i wish it was a typo . i have taken advice in and now scared . i ,in my worst years , was shopping,taking a lot more .health dep turned up at my house and set me up with doc to taper .any particular danger sign for hosp visit . i have my bottles with script details.

If you've been taking 20mg of clonazepam every day for an extended time, do not risk it. You can't just go without. If you do run out you need to play it safe and go to the hospital.

i will report back after this little ordeal maybe someone can have some anecdotal help if they run out .

thank u all i for care ,advice an support i do not think i would have succeeded . day 3 ,as mentioned up top, is the worst day . i did not go to hospital on day 3 i called my pharmacy for a heads up. i went in and he put me in care room and gave me 2 doxy succinate,Restavit. this antihistamine had me 50% better in 1/2 hour. i stayed in care room he gave me two more . he mentioned this was a stop gap and to never mix with benzos .he said it would be at the least very unenjoyable. he gave me the packet , he rang a boutique hospital in area and they agreed with this approach , ready to send ambo if needed promptly.
i am not advocating restavit however it worked for me and 1/2 tab will not kill you if u find yourself marooned .
got my supply this morning.6x2mg xanax, 18 2 mg clonazepam,i am supplied every two days.my pharmacist is a friend and he is keeping a tab a day to build surplus for unforeseen. thank u all . a place on the internet free of narcissism . thank u again

I don't understand why they gave you antihistamines instead of some sort of benzo, seems negligent especially since you were at such a high dose. Afaik antihistamines won't do anything for the severe effects of benzo withdrawal like seizure and death. Glad you made it through tho. Count yourself lucky I guess because that's an insane amount to go without.

thx nutty i am on private scripts which need to be endorsed by a fed agency .in times past i have shopped at this hospital so trust levels were low . i was given an anti histamine which was branded as a calmative . it worked . iwas not guaranteed benzos at hospital. far from it .would i have preferred benzos?of course .but i am flagged as soon as my name is entered . bottom line is you must try to create a surplus for future unexpectations . i do count myself extremely lucky hence creating surplus. the calmative i was provided gave much needed relief .my chemist was in touch with hospital. benzos
esp for someone visited by health dep for shopping , are not being prescribed . people say benzos are number 1 in
overdoses . 99% of these are accompanied by cocaine ,speed etc . but i digress.
. we did our best.i do understand your point however it is not always reachable . i dodged a horrible bullet . i was marooned and was just providing the fellow marooned , to visit pharmacy and ask about resatavit calmative as a stop gap .