• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo tolerance (sensitivity) does NOT reset v2

rc_benzo

Bluelighter
This is the second version after my first post was discovered to have way too many mistakes.

So I backed up with some legitimate information, and decided to make a second post, explaining thoroughly why benzo "tolerance" or more precisely benzo sensitivity does not reset.

The GABA-A receptor consists of 3 types of sub-units: a, b and y.
There are 6 different a sub-units, 3 different b sub-units and 3 different y sub-units.

The GABA-A receptor grows in random patterns with random sub-units in your brain.
The most common mammalian structure of a GABA-A recptor is 2 a1 sub-units, 2 b2 sub-units, and 1 y1 sub-unit.

When you cause down regulation due extended everyday use, you build "tolerance", more commonly known as physical dependance. Your brain is already dependent on the way your GABA system works, so when more receptors grow, your brain is no longer able to support this system and you are required to do so externally with Benzo or other GABAergics.

Benzo SENSITIVITY is a different story. You see, once you gone past w/d, your actual tolerance does reset, HOWEVER, benzos bind to the sub-units a1, a2, a3 and a5, these sub-units quickly lose sensitivity to whatever dose your taking, and this my friends, does NOT go away.

However more potent benzos, or extremely potent RC benzos, cause sensitivity loss much, much quicker than say something like Diazepam.

A good example is Flubromazolam. It is x80 more potent than Diazepam, however unlike Diaz, Flblam affects only your a1 and a5 sub-units, which explains its sedative and cognitive-impairing properties + amnesia.
a1 sub-unit = sedative and amnesic effect
a2 and a3 sub-units = anxiolytic effect
a5 sub-units = severe cognitive impairment.

Even though your tolerance to GABA-A agonist like GABA itself does reset, sensitivity to PAMs like benzos never sets back to normal.

This explains a lot. Though after the excruciating w.d. I went through I'll never touch a benzo again... Alcohol, neurontin, kava etc will never work the same...

hmmm i have been on a very small dose of xanax for around 4 months going on 5 and i still get relief every single time from the same dose
i actually follow instructions and use as needed
i never had an urge to keep redosing when i do take it and never an urge to up the dosage

hmmm i have been on a very small dose of xanax for around 4 months going on 5 and i still get relief every single time from the same dose
i actually follow instructions and use as needed
i never had an urge to keep redosing when i do take it and never an urge to up the dosage
Relief from what? I personally suffer from severe anxiety and extreme panic attacks every day, and benzos stop working very quickly, and when they do, I have an urge to up the dosage just to get relief. If you suffer from anxiety, then it's obviously not serious anxiety, and most of the effects you're getting are a placebo. I tried using other GABAergics to relive my anxiety (barbiturates), but that didn't work out well. My only choice is to just to up the dosage of benzos. I have not built tolerance (dependance), since I don't experience w/d symptoms, but my permament sensitivity loss is at 10mg Clonazepam, and 5 2mg Xanax bars have little to no effect on me. The only drugs that can stop my anxiety and panic attacks are Triazolam and Flubromazolam at very high doses too.