• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo questions

trebo126

Greenlighter
Hey guys a little background on me first. So about 3 months ago I got perscribed 0.5 xanax for my severe anxiety, and when I mean severe I mean it's gotten so bad that I have gotten to the point where I think about just ending my misery. I have a herniated disk with nerve damage which cause me to have horrible migraines and constant pain in my back and down my legs. As for my anxiety it's so bad that when I leave my house I get panic attacks, my heart beats a million miles an hour, and when I try to talk to a girl my mind just goes blank like I can't think of 1 normal thing to say to a girl. When I first got the xanax a 0.5 was enough to alleviate some of the anxiety, but because Ive been taking it pretty much every day for the last 3 months my tolerance has skyrocketed meaning now I need 3-4 mg's to feel the effects. I have a steady source of the green hulk bars with the 3 on them even tho I'm fairly sure there only 2 mg's. I'm going to see my doc in a couple days and was wondering if I should give a different benzo a shot say something like valium because like I said before I have a pretty steady supply of hulk bars. So when I get those breakthrough panic attacks I can just pop the xanax. So my question is should I just stay on the xanax even tho my tolerance will probably be through the roof by the end of this year since it actually does do wonders for my condition? Anybody else who suffers from extreme social anxiety I would love to hear how you guys handle your situations. Sorry for the long post but this is only my 2nd thread and I am also unsure if this is even in the right section so again my apologies too the mods if it isn't. I'm also 23 male if that matters at all.

I would definitely advise trying something like klonopin or valium. Something with a longer half-life. And if that doesnt work, ask your doc about pregabalin (Lyrica) for social anxiety and see if you could try that.

A long acting benzo and a short acting one for extreme panic attacks would be the best bet.
But imo benzos make everything worse in the long run, so my advice would be to taper and quit (google Ashton manual) as long as you can and try therapy, like cognitive behavioral therapy

At this point you wouldnt even feel 2-3 10MG valiums and it wouldnt work on your anxiety as much either, its much weaker than alprazolam especially with a tolerance. The green bars are 2MG, they do make 3MG alprazolam but ive never seen one in person nor seen or heard of anyone with them theyre triangle, green, and extended release that have a 3 on one side and an X on the other, theyre to me like the 160MG oxycontins, a rarity. But try klonopin, it would be better suited than valium for you, youd end up having to eat handfuls of valium to even have some anxiety relief and youd be disappointed because youd realize the xanax did its job a lot better

So about 3 months ago I got perscribed 0.5 xanax for my severe anxiety, [...] but because Ive been taking it pretty much every day for the last 3 months my tolerance has skyrocketed meaning now I need 3-4 mg's to feel the effects. I have a steady source of the green hulk bars with the 3 on them even tho I'm fairly sure there only 2 mg's. I'm going to see my doc in a couple days and was wondering if I should give a different benzo a shot say something like valium because like I said before I have a pretty steady supply of hulk bars. [...] I'm also 23

This is a textbook beginning to a classic benzo addiction. Tread carefully, you're playing with fire and will get burned. Fair warning... :\

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. Alittle more info for you all. I got in a car accident which is why I'm in so much physical discomfort, and my dad passed away almost 2 years ago from a sudden heart attack. That hit me very very hard as I was about to turn 21 and we were going to go to vegas since his birthday is a week before mine so that is when I believe the mental anguish started to really kick in and left a big hole in my life as I was very close with my dad. We are doing a Tribune in 2 weeks where I will have to speak in front of at least 50 people and I'm already freaking out. I know benzos are very dangerous but the severity of my anxiety is so strong I actually believe I need them. So when I go see my doc in a couple days should I ask for kpins and also I'm not very educated on benzos so what's the mg's they come in and how do they compare to say valium. I know now from experience that xanax last only 1 or 2 hours if I'm lucky.also one of you suggested Lyrica and I know it relieves nerve pain but I have never heard of it helping in social anxiety. I also have a steady script for percocets for the pain but I am not really a fan of those. I can handle the physical pain but the mental pain and not being able to talk to normal people or girls makes me more and more depressed every day. I didn't used to be like this but for the last 2 years or so I'm just not the same person. I'm not sure if this matters either but I did get into mdma for about 6 months, and was probably taking that once a week or every other week, but I have not done any in like 5 months. Once again thank you for your quick responses and any and all advice is appreciated.

A long acting benzo and a short acting one for extreme panic attacks would be the best bet.
But imo benzos make everything worse in the long run, so my advice would be to taper and quit (google Ashton manual) as long as you can and try therapy, like cognitive behavioral therapy

Exactly what kleinerkiffer says, benzos make everything worse in the long run, trust us on this. I am going through benzo withdrawal at the moment due to them turning on me, they may work well to start with but after a few months maybe years you will get a paradoxil effect, so the more you take the more anxious you will be. Swap the Xanax for Valium, check the Ashton manual, so for an example you may need 40mg per day of Valium, it has a very long half life, the longest of all benzos at around 200 hours. Once on Valium start to slowly withdraw under a Dr's supervision. Eat well, keep active and get at least 8 hours sleep and try and get some CBT or self help anxiety books off the net, 'The Linden Method' is meant to be very good.

Benzos were never meant to be prescribed for daily usage. That being said it's often the easiest option for people with crippling anxiety and all the awful other stuff that comes with it (agoraphobia, digestive issues, etc...). I would recommend asking your doctor for klonopin as some others have been saying. It's got a super long half-life so as long as you never exceed 2-3mg a day it's really not the worse thing in the world to be dependent on if you've come to a point in your life where benzos seem necessary.

But really, a change in diet along with exercise can often take care of a lot of the anxiety without drugs so I always want to remind people that there are other options than being dependent on a chemical with such a god-awful withdrawal.

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. Alittle more info for you all. I got in a car accident which is why I'm in so much physical discomfort, and my dad passed away almost 2 years ago from a sudden heart attack. That hit me very very hard as I was about to turn 21 and we were going to go to vegas since his birthday is a week before mine so that is when I believe the mental anguish started to really kick in and left a big hole in my life as I was very close with my dad. We are doing a Tribune in 2 weeks where I will have to speak in front of at least 50 people and I'm already freaking out. I know benzos are very dangerous but the severity of my anxiety is so strong I actually believe I need them. So when I go see my doc in a couple days should I ask for kpins and also I'm not very educated on benzos so what's the mg's they come in and how do they compare to say valium. I know now from experience that xanax last only 1 or 2 hours if I'm lucky.also one of you suggested Lyrica and I know it relieves nerve pain but I have never heard of it helping in social anxiety. I also have a steady script for percocets for the pain but I am not really a fan of those. I can handle the physical pain but the mental pain and not being able to talk to normal people or girls makes me more and more depressed every day. I didn't used to be like this but for the last 2 years or so I'm just not the same person. I'm not sure if this matters either but I did get into mdma for about 6 months, and was probably taking that once a week or every other week, but I have not done any in like 5 months. Once again thank you for your quick responses and any and all advice is appreciated.
Does your doc know you gotta take 3-4MGs now? I wouldnt come out and ask for klonopin even though you have a benzo script. If he is aware you have to take that much now, id mention something that you hate having to take so many pills in one day to relieve your anxiety that you want something that lasts longer and dont have to dose every hour, i dont know something like that. You could ask him straight out though if you wanted too wouldnt be that big a deal

Last edited:
My doc does not know I take that many but I'll be seeing him on Tuesday and the pharmacist did tell me to take as needed. Like I previously stated when I first started taking the xanax I would only need 1mg for the whole day but over time my tolerance has elevated quite a bit. I think I'm just going to ask him what he thinks of klonopins and having xanax for breakthrough panic attacks, and if he doesn't agree with me I have a steady source of the green hulk bars so it won't be to big of a deal. I used to go to the gym pretty regularly but my pain management doc said absolutely no lifting and I also used to be pretty good at basketball, so good I actually got some scholarships but he said I can't play ball anymore because I can't risk damaging my back any worse. So my exercise is basically swimming and walking. Basketball was my passion and I had that ripped away from me so that is probably why I am suffering so much mentally. I have heard mixed reactions to get klonopin but one thing is for sure, I want to avoid xanax as much as possible since it has the shortest half life even though it does do its job in treating my disorder but over time I will have to take enough to put down a horse to get any relief. Again thank you too everyone who took time out of their day to give good genuine advice. Please keep it coming guys, I feel like I can only talk to BL'ers who can relate to my promblems.

I have sever anxiety issues due to PTSD and Klonopin has been a lifesaver for me. I am prescribed 3mg a day and it pretty much keeps me at bay. I could use more but I don't want to push it, sometimes I have went up to 5mg.

Good luck

I have sever anxiety issues due to PTSD and Klonopin has been a lifesaver for me. I am prescribed 3mg a day and it pretty much keeps me at bay. I could use more but I don't want to push it, sometimes I have went up to 5mg.

Good luck

How long have you been on klonopin for mate?

Just a quick response to your question about Pregabalin (Lyrica), its prescribed off label for social anxiety and it is by far the best drug for it. But i never take mine on a daily basis because tolerance raises very quickly. I tend to stick to taking it on the weekends, since i almost always go out with friends or to a party on the weekends and it helps me become a very social guy. It really is a great drug, and the addiction potential is slightly less than benzos, BUT IT IS STILL ADDICTIVE. The klonopins are probably still your best bet, but i also agree with the others in saying that you should try to taper down with the klonopin and then connect yourself with a cognitive behavioral therapist.

Klonopin I always have thought to be the most potent, at least. Totally agree with the poster who said that & Valium, but I don't think anyone prescribes vallies anymore.

How long have you been on klonopin for mate?

I have been on it since 2009. I used to self medicate on and off since 2005, with prescribed Xanax. I never took it daily just as needed. I would like to start tapering off, but me off benzos is recipe for disaster. I have been on lower dose but recently my Dr would only prescribe me the 3mg and no more. I tend to get violent off benzos any my anxiety just shy rockets and I am unable to be around anyone.

My recommendation would be to not let your tolerance to continue to skyrocket. I would work more with your dr to come up with a long term plan. You don't want this tool to become ineffective. If you keep upping your dose it will.

I I would go with a longer acting one like klonopin and they are close to equivalent at 1:1 maybe the edge goes to Xanax. It's close. But I think you will have to learn to manage the hurt and anxiety through other methods too like cognitive behavioral therapy so you don't just keep raising benzo dosage.

Hey everyone quick update. So I'm my last post I said I was taking a lot and my tolerance went up to about 5-6 mg's a day. So on Saturday I ran out of xanax and cause I'm an idiot, I said I could probably go cold turkey until my appointment which was yesterday. So the withdrawals start to kick in hard after the first 24 hours, but I get through it. At this point I have terrible insomnia, bad anxiety, restlessness, and dry heaves, but I am managing, and then that's when it happened... 75th hour of CT I'm taking out the trash and I just fall, I come inside and I tell my mom did you see that, she said yeah, are you okay? I say no I feel like shit, and that's the last thing I remember besides walking too the paramedics. They said I had a full blown seisure (only my first one) and was severely dehydrated, like an hour away from dying is what the doctor told me. My tongue is all chewed up and hurts like hell, my shoulders,elbows, and legs all hurt from seizing so badly I guess, and my head is like I'm wearing an iron helmet with bolts around my head. Wow quite an ordeal, I still don't remember the exact details, but my mom said after I came out of the seisure I looked at her confused as if I had never seen her before, and went too sleep in the kitchen (where the seisure happend) until the paramedic got their. I went to my appointment with my pysiciatrist after I left the ER after almost 5 hours of test and crap being done. He gave 30 kpins with a strict tapering schedule, and he seems to think I'll be fine after a month of tapering and he also prescibed that gaba stuff a few of you guys recommended. Considering I just had a pretty violent seisure, I'm a little concerned that a month of tapering will not be sufficient enough to kick my benzo demons for good. And these klonopins are just not the same as xanax but hey I just want too get clean and move on with my life, after my mom almost had a heart attack herself from watching me almost die, just not worth it IMO.

If you guys have any ideas on what you think of the tapering schedule, good or bad or you want too recommend something that has worked for you let me know. I hope you guys and, ladies have a nice day

trebo126

Get a new Dr... 30 Clonazepam tabs no matter what strength will not be long enough to taper off. You can come off Clonazepam alone although the best bet is Diazepam due to its seriously long half life, nearly double Clonazepams half life. If done correctly the taper should take a minimum of 16 weeks and maximum of 2 years.....It can be done, I am in the process now, taken me a year so far, not long left. Try CBT or even better 'The linden Method' read it and watch the dvd's and do exactly as he says, its not easy but he has cured something like two hundred thousand people from anxiety. Your anxiety will go higher than ever whilst withdrawing so just remember to tell yourself its withdrawal effects....Main thing to do is take it slowly, when it comes to withdrawing from benzos slowly wins the race.

Benzos for managing social anxiety just always seems to be bad news. They seem to be only useful for managing general anxiety (panic attacks etc.) and occasionally chilling out for recreation, but not as social anxiety relief. Have you considered opiates? Tolerance to them doesn't build even remotely as fast as benzo tolerance, and for me personally they are far better social lubricants than benzos. I've seen dozens of threads like this throughout the years that I've been lurking on bluelight, and it just doesn't end well. I myself have had a huge xanax habit, and by the end of it, I was doing 30mg+ a day.

Keep in mind that benzo addiction is extremely insidious. Your brain will be finding any reason for you to take more now that you are dependent, sometimes even by ramping up anxiety symptoms at levels far beyond interdose withdrawal/rebound anxiety to try to get you to put more of it into your system.

I've seen dozens of threads like this throughout the years that I've been lurking on bluelight, and it just doesn't end well. I myself have had a huge xanax habit, and by the end of it, I was doing 30mg+ a day.

I want to point out that many of us Bluelighters have seen many stories much like the OP's unfurl before us, and the end result of taking massive doses of benzos (more than 4mg of xanax a day) is all too common. Seeing posters stuck on 10+ mg of Xanax a day and having seizures and excitatory brain damage trying to get off of them is sadly par for the course here at Bluelight, no matter how much harm reduction info we attempt to share with others.