• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo/Norco Q

Dodger Guy LA

Bluelighter
I take .5 mg of Klonopin in the A.M. and afternoon, 1mg at night. At was prescribed 7.5 Norco for a back injury. My Doctor knows I take this med prescribed by my Psychiatrist. How long should I space out the Norco and my Klonopin ?

what did your doctor say? how long you been taking the klonopin? i'm not about to tell anyone anything's ok. when i got oxy the surgeon told me it was fine to take my benzo before and after the surgery like normal. i told them i took it the morning i came in for surgery. the shot me up with mida and fent like normal. he told me to take the oxy and my psych meds as prescribed. but i've been taking it all my life.

sorry to hear you're in pain.

I take 10mg valium with 30mg Dihydrocodeine all the time and I'm fine. I'm sure spacing them apart isn't that important.

Don't take them at the same time imo! Maybe an hour between the two? Preferably more.

The most important part is that you don't black out or fall asleep from the benzos. Breathing rate lowers while one is asleep, and respiratory depression is the concern here. They're not monumental doses so I'd assume you'd be fine as long as you don't take both at the same time. With something more long-lasting like methadone I'd be way more concerned. Most people who die from this combination are either on a long-lasting opiate and have combined methadone with xanax, or have taken a large amount of oxycodone at the same time as something like xanax/klonopin. People who have never overdosed from opiates have overdosed from a benzo-induced situation. So it's vital to not underestimate this combo. That being said if you do find your symptoms to be severe one day, it's important not ever be like "eh screw it" and take higher doses of either or the benzos/opioids. As long as you proceed with caution I can't see the two medications actually killing you from these doses.

taking them at the same time or an hour apart is the same thing. if you told the doc that scripted the opiate about all medication you’re currently prescribed, i’d just take as prescribed. those cvs pharmacists have little hissy fits before there’s any real danger.

again i’m not a medical professional and i’m not giving medical advice, but i’ve been co prescribed a benzo and an opiate before. everyone with prescription pad knew about both, and the pharmacist, and no one said don’t and nothing bad happened.

you take a benzo everyday for any amount of time and that becomes baseline.

good on you op for sticking to to the doses prescribed. heads up just because a doc says that won’t cause dependence doesn’t magically mean it won’t (talking about the benzo). long as you understand that exchange, carry on.

reality is i’ve done fent cut dope drunk and on a mg or more of c-lam. you wake up in vomit. but unless you’re pediatric, geriatric, or something, it takes a lot to kill.

Last edited:
taking them at the same time or an hour apart is the same thing. if you told the doc that scripted the opiate about all medication you’re currently prescribed, i’d just take as prescribed. those cvs pharmacists have little hissy fits before there’s any real danger.

again i’m not a medical professional and i’m not giving medical advice, but i’ve been co prescribed a benzo and an opiate before. everyone with prescription pad knew about both, and the pharmacist, and no one said don’t and nothing bad happened.

good on you op for sticking to to the doses prescribed. heads up just because a doc says that won’t cause dependence doesn’t magically mean it won’t (talking about the benzo). long as you understand that exchange, carry on.

reality is i’ve done fent cut dope drunk and on a mg or more of c-lam. you wake up in vomit. but unless you’re pediatric, geriatric, or something, it takes a lot to kill.
Oh no my body is differently habituated to Klonopin. I do stick to my script. I’ve gone from 6 mg a day to 2mg a day. Taking more will mess up all my work I put in lowering my dose.I doubled my dose yesterday on my pain meds but doing that was too much.
My question is if I take my regular dose will it work or did I jeopardize it from yesterday’s stupid choice? I rarely use Norco, maybe once a year. I usually deal with my back pain.
Thanks for you input.

Been on a Benzo for nearly twenty years. What do you mean baseline? Meaning they stop being effective?
no i’m not trying to get into that. you wanna discuss that head over to mental health or the dark side, where you can get plenty of strong, conflicting opinions.

by baseline i mean what the anesthesiologist for surgery and doc prescribing you opiates after takes into account when considering depressants on top of depressants.

nor am i trying to tell you what is and isn’t ok if you stray from prescribed doses. but i wouldn’t worry about yesterday. that was only one day. yesterday didn’t do anything.

going from 6mg to 2mg is hard work. good job. yeah, don’t lose that ground.

no i’m not trying to get into that. you wanna discuss that head over to mental health or the dark side, where you can get plenty of strong, conflicting opinions.

by baseline i mean what the anesthesiologist for surgery and doc prescribing you opiates after takes into account when considering depressants on top of depressants.

nor am i trying to tell you what is and isn’t ok if you stray from prescribed doses. but i wouldn’t worry about yesterday. that was only one day. yesterday didn’t do anything.

going from 6mg to 2mg is hard work. good job. yeah, don’t lose that ground.
Thank you, it took a lot of dedication to get to 2 mg. I just can’t seem to handle going down to 1.75 mg from 2 mg. My body freaked out so my doctors and I ketpt me at 2 mg. I am hoping I can be benzo free one day. However I have accepted I May have to be on them for life due to taking them for so long.
When I do decide to taper I will have to take time off from work. The way I felt at 1.75 mg I wouldn’t be able to do my job or drive to my job. It was honestly easy to taper till the jump from 2 to 1.75.
Anyway, thank you for listening and responding.

Is it? I've taken benzos after the high wore off from painkillers. So it virtually didn't matter?

So how long would you suggest waiting before taking one/or the other.. and what would you think is safer to take first (the opioid or the benzo)?

I still feel like if you can stay awake there's far less danger. People who have died from this combination I hypothesize had blacked out from a benzo dose and then the opioids peaked or something like that. Sometimes patients are given both opioids/benzos for pain-type situations.