• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo binge danger, and addiction help.

thp

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I'm prescribed around 6mg diazepam a day for anxiety and terrible derealisation.

I've stupidly taken around 100mg a day for two days because of severe depression. This also happened once about a week ago, for one day only.

Once I return to my usual 6mg tomorrow, will the short binge have affected my tolerance and will withdrawal be a problem? I want to taper my prescribed 6mg to 0 over the next few weeks.

I don't think this drug is good news for me and don't want to succumb to further bingers in future, but I'm worried I've stuffed it all up the last couple of days.

Thanks very much for any help!
A

yes it will effect your tolerance, but you don't probably have to worry about dependance (I mean this depends on how long you've been taking diazepam but 6mg is an incredibly small dose for an already weak benzodiazepam- 10mg is equal to .5mg of Clonazepam or Xanax, so if you think about it, 100mg is equal to only 2 1/2 bars, when looked at this way I don't think you have anything to worry about). just return to your normal dose, because continuing to take more than your prescribed will fuck you with dependance, and benzo's IME are the hardest substance to detox from, in fact I've always relapsed before recovering from the withdrawal because it lasts so god damn long.

Thanks very much for that. I've been taking it for about a year, as prescribed for a genuinely appalling condition I've suffered with for years; the aforementioned derealisation.

I've never binged before, other than the last two days and once a week ago. 6mg is my average dose, sometimes less (3mg - 6mg average). Hopefully this blip won't hurt too much. I'm already scared enough!

I've started cymbalta to help. Not sure if that drug is even worth bothering though, based on SSRI/SNRI efficacy and side effects. Any more advice would be wonderful.

Again, thank you

Really should be no problem.

6mg is a very low dose and even when 100mg is quite a lot, if you only did it once withdrawal shouldn't be an issue.

Eventhough I understand that depency is never nice, why excactly do you want to stop the Diazepam, when it's actually helping?

I don't take benzos everyday but I use them pretty often.
Sometimes I have a break of 2 days, sometimes 6 weeks and other times I take them for 20 consecutive days.

I Do this for 7 years now and am very pleased with the results. ;)
Not that I would recommend it, but it works for me. :)

Yeah when using benzos long term the only way to avoid dependence is to take them only once or twice a week, unless your using one of the short acting ones like alprazolam (then you can probably get away with taking it once every three days. For clonazepam and diazepam though the drug stacks up in your blood system like methadone as they both have very long half life's meaning it takes way more than a few days for your body to completely eliminate them.