• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo belly

Sir Ron Pib

Bluelighter
I've been searching and can find nothing on benzo belly that doesn't relate to withdrawal other than maybe something on wiki about benzo users getting IBS symptoms. Benzo belly is severe but I only get it when I take a benzo - then food is disgusting and even getting liquids (water) down is hard and will last about a day even on benzos with a short HL. Anyone?

Something related to interdose withdrawal possibly?

Edit: reread OP and don't think I can offer much of value.

GABA is tied closely to gut motility and secretory actions. Many direct agonists and positive allosteric modulators at the GABA complex list nausea as an uncommon side effect. Seems strange as, depending on the cause, benzo's can be a great treatment for nausea. Anecdotally though, I have personally experienced this and seen it it others; usually from dosing way too high/redosing too frequently. A friend of mine used to say that "nothing tasted right" during/immediately after a xan binge. Besides those little tidbits of info, I can't say with any certainty what actually causes this phenomenon or what can be done about it other than possibly more careful dosing or a different benzo. Some seemed more likely to cause this effect than others but one that never did in me or my friends, at any dosage, was good ol' diazepam.

Thanks for your thoughts - it's not even inter dose withdrawal since if I want to eat on benzos I drop it just before I eat since the stomach problems start once full effect is reached; I still get all the issues other than the revolting task of actually getting food down.
Yes certainly there is mild nausea and everything tastes bad with mild anorexic effects and terrible bloating and discomfort. I used to take benzos for fun but the stomach issues make that impossible - the easy answer is not to take them and I rarely do (and try to keep it moderate)but unfortunately there isn't really any other options for stim come downs or sleep after say LSD - in fact I usually trip first thing in the morning as to avoid psychedelic sleep issues.
Perhaps heavy dosing in the past has sensitised me I don't know

Last edited:
I have the same problem and you have my sympathy. It's embarrassing when you're a guy and your belly is bloated and sticking out unusually like a woman about 5-6 months pregnant. With me, it comes and goes. I have already got the typical middle-age belly fat from lack of exercise and so that doesn't help for a start. I definitely notice the belly swelling problem though if I'm using Xanax more or re-dosing in an irregular manner and especially when I drink alcohol and/or eat big meals too late in the evening and close to bed time.