• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Beets and endurance

thegreenhand

Bluelighter
So I have read often of endurance athletes using beet juice to improve their performance. I cant seem to find much reliable info on just eating raw beets (like from a can). Can i still get the same benefits on my runs eating them as if i used juice or a supplement powder? How much would I need to eat?

CFC

Bluelight Crew
I've no anecdotal experience - I mean, I eat beetroots as part of a healthy diet, but I've never specifically used them for nitrates or the various other micronutrients. There's a fair bit about beetroot supplementation on Ergolog worth having a gander at though - take a read here: https://ergo-log.com/beetroot-archives.html

I've seen allsorts of amounts of raw or cooked or juiced beetroot used - from 50g-200g (2-7oz) raw or cooked and 50-500ml of concentrate juice. I personally tend to gorge the stuff when I have it as I really like the taste, but I'm not an endurance runner and have never really bothered timing myself or comparing relative exertion over time.

thegreenhand

Bluelighter
Thanks for the link. I love the taste too so I have no problem eating a lot of them haha. It seems like you don’t have to eat any extraordinary amount of them to reap the benefits and that eating them every day is the most effective. Today I threw some in a smoothie along with some greens, peanut butter, banana, and almondmilk. Yummy!

Reactions: CFC

Zoob1234

Greenlighter
I did ran a study on nitrate supplementation and submaximal exercise back in my undergrad. We used a concentrated beetroot juice drink called "Beat It", its pretty decent and you can get it in shot (50ml) form or in litre bottles. May be slightly easier/cheaper to get it into the diet that way?

If you're interested I've found some papers on its effects for endurance running.

There seems to be a bit of an argument if nitrate supplementation does actually help elite level runners, but even if it does at a placebo level it's still pretty cool, even if your pee does go purple.

Reactions: CFC