Becoming a Psychedelic Therapist | +50 articles

rat-brain-empathy-neurosciencenews-public.jpg

Psychedelic Integration: Grounding the Journey

by Craig Salerno, MA, LAC, LPC | psychedelic.support | 11 Sep 2020

Psychedelics hold a promise of health and well-being, often by journeying beyond ourselves. How can we make the most of these healing experiences after they are over? Join Craig Salerno, MA, LAC, LPC as we explore the importance of integration.

As a growing body of research supports the potential benefits of psychedelics for psychological, emotional, and spiritual health, more individuals are choosing to explore the healing properties of medicines like MDMA, ketamine, psilocybin, peyote, and ayahuasca.

While much has been shared about the importance of set and setting as it relates to the direct psychedelic experience, the discussion of post-experience integration is a relatively newer topic to the culture.

Entheogenic Research Integration & Education (ERIE) defines integration as “the process by which the material accessed and insights gained in a [psychedelic] experience are incorporated over time into one’s life in a way that benefits the individual and their community.”

From this frame, the power of psychedelic medicine work lies not only in the depth of the experience during use, but also in the post-experience exploration, processing, and application of insights that occurs days, months, and even years after a journey.

Because each psychedelic experience is unique unto itself, psychedelic integration can take many forms. Below is a list of commonly focused areas of integration:​
  • Examining meaning of visual and/or somatic experiences that arose​
  • Exploring the emotional impact of the psychedelic experience​
  • Contextualizing the “story” of the journey​
  • Grounding insights into meaningful behavior change​
  • Understanding a “bad trip” or difficult experience​
  • Exploring how to live from a newly recognized truth​
  • Examining how to share your experience with others​
  • Managing cravings or desires to continue psychedelic exploration​
  • Setting intentions for further journeys based on what arose​
Integration focuses on how these themes and experiences in a psychedelic medicine session can be implemented into action and meaningful change. Peak experiences become transformational experiences when integration is valued as highly as the psychedelic journey itself. Integration can be viewed as the ground on which psychedelic experiences root themselves. Without the ground, these experiences may simply fade away over time.

The integration experience is a healing partnership between the explorer, the integration supporter(s), and the wisdom and intelligence of the psychedelic medicine. Whether done in an individual session or collectively as a group, the goal is catalyze a meaningful and transformational process that extends far beyond the psychedelic experience.

Last edited:
ap18337760540761.jpg

UW-Madison's Online Masters Program | Psychedelics as Therapeutic Treatment*

by Elizabeth Dohms-Harter | WPR | 4 Apr 2021

A new master's degree program starting this fall at the University of Wisconsin-Madison will prepare students for careers studying the therapeutic effects of psychoactive drugs to treat mental illnesses such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Once legal and a flourishing potential treatment option in the field of psychiatric research, psychedelics were swept up in the counterculture movement of the 1960s, made illegal and lost credibility during the war on drugs.

But reignited interest over the past decade in psychedelics as a legitimate therapy option has led to an increase in the number of clinical trials to test psilocybin (the psychedelic compound found in magic mushrooms), MDMA (also called ecstasy and molly) and LSD. Reputable universities, including Johns Hopkins and Berkeley, have established research centers to study the effects of these drugs as therapies.

Completely online, the master's program at UW-Madison is the first of its kind in the country, said Cody Wenthur, an assistant professor at UW-Madison's School of Pharmacy. He is the director of the new Psychoactive Pharmaceutical Investigation master's program.

Wenthur said students' training will focus on psychedelics, dissociatives, cannabinoids and other psychoactive pharmaceuticals. Anyone interested in applying for the master's degree program can do so by July 31 for fall admission.

"We're particularly interested in training students to enter the growth pharmaceutical industry surrounding the use of these substances, providing them with the tools to understand the data and also to work in an ethical manner and adhere to all the regulatory pieces surrounding the use of these compounds," he said.

Some states have decriminalized the use of psychedelics for therapeutic purposes, but Wisconsin isn't one of them. Wenthur said he and his colleagues are required by law to have Schedule 1 licenses to work with these compounds. Schedule 1 means these drugs have no medical accepted use according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

"But it's complicated," Wenthur said, "because both MDMA and psilocybin have been termed as potential breakthrough therapies by the Federal Drug Administration in treating PTSD and depression, respectively."

"Some of the psychedelics he uses in his lab come from the Usona Institute in Madison, a nonprofit focused on studying the effects of these drug therapies and supports the manufacturing of pharmaceutical-grade psilocybin."

Research is still underway to determine the impacts of these drugs on mental health disorders. MDMA is in the last stage of clinical trials for PTSD treatment, and psilocybin is in the penultimate stage for treatment of depression. Early clinical trial research is showing promising results for treatment of substance use disorders and anxiety, particularly for people with a terminal diagnosis.

"Some of the earlier human trials were actually in patients with terminal cancer diagnoses and use of these compounds, with psilocybin in particular, with a single dose or two doses combined with psychotherapy, showed huge improvements in those patients' anxiety and quality of life," Wenthur said.

While reports have surfaced of people using psychoactive drugs to treat depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses on their own — including about 6 percent of 110,000 respondents in a Global Drug Surveydoctors warn that these drugs should be taken with caution and trained monitoring.

"That's precisely how these drugs would be administered," Wenthur explained. "Patients take these drugs within a safe environment and under the guidance of trained therapists who help the patients through the entire experience, including integration sessions afterward where patients and therapists talk about the experience."

Researchers aren't exactly clear on what makes these psychedelic drugs work as a treatment, but they suspect it's related to the way these compounds change how the brain regions connect to and communicate with one another.

There's also evidence the compounds change the structures of neurons and the ways those cells communicate with each other, which impacts learning and growth.

"The most important first step is for us to not get caught up in the hype and say this is absolutely a 100 percent guaranteed cure for all of societal ills," Wenthur said. "I think that's a mistake. But I also think it's a mistake to ignore the promise that these compounds are exhibiting."

*From the article here :

Last edited:
Panorama_of_Kings_Parade_in_Cambridge%2C_UK%2C_at_St._Mary%27s.jpg

The real gift of psychedelics isn’t what you think

by Sonia Hsieh | psychedelic.support | 11 Mar 2021

Exploration and discovery - what psychedelic journeys have to teach us about ourselves, love, and the deepest meanings of life.

I spent tens of thousands of dollars training to become a psychotherapist and the past year is undoing it all. Why? My own therapy ended poorly – a fairly common story, sadly – and the inconsistency of trying to work within a modality that could not ‘heal’ me nagged at me for months.

I knew I needed a change.

In February 2020, just before the pandemic, I left my group practice job – a good gig for someone right out of graduate school – and packed my bags for Costa Rica to set off on a journey of healing and self-discovery. While I chose Costa Rica for a number of reasons, including good surf and papayas, when I arrived it became readily apparent how accessible psychedelics would be with retreat centers largely left alone by the authorities under the auspices of ‘religious practices’ and the culture of ex-pats being extremely drug-friendly.

Psychedelics, drugs, sacred medicines – whatever you wish to call them – each offer a unique perspective on reality and share one common mechanism: They get you out of your mind and into the present moment. The rise in popularity of these medicines, I believe, has much to do with the sudden downloads or insights one can have about oneself and the nature of reality, and they’re just plain ol’ fun! It would be silly to deny the fact that they also make you feel fantastic.

Beyond feeling great, however, people can often discover a profound sense of peace that they are not their thoughts, nor as limited as they once believed they were. This complete and radical shift in identity can often spark the necessary motivation needed for people to heal and to change. It really is a no-brainer as to why interest and research funding into psychedelics has skyrocketed in the past decade.

Since arriving in Costa Rica (going on nine months as of this writing), I have taken many different medicines in a variety of contexts including micro dosing, at parties, and during jungle retreats. With every trip I took, I learned much about myself, my past and my relationships to the point where I try and take these lessons with me everywhere I go. I learned that self-acceptance is truly possible in every moment.

And while it might seem tempting to say that drugs are the answer, I am here to say they are not.

Well-known spiritual teacher, Ram Dass, in his book “Polishing the Mirror,” spoke about his struggles after ‘coming down’ from thousands of trips. He described how over time, his trips made things worse for him, not better. After each trip, he found himself more agitated and despairing at his inability to not feel free despite having touched bliss many times.

After many trips, I found myself in a similar predicament and decided to look into the potential reasons for this.

Here is what I discovered:

1. Psychedelics make you incredibly sensitive.

Psychedelics open your senses and purge you of stuck energies you have been carrying from past traumas to the stress of everyday life. One ‘purges’ in Ayahuasca because the medicine is helping clear your system from old harmful energies. The incredibly ‘clean’ feeling you may have afterwards, while wonderful, also heightens the contrast between feeling clean and light versus heavy.

Since Costa Rica, I have begun to see, taste and hear better, move more fluidly and feel my sensory body much more acutely. With this, however, it has become necessary for me to change the way I eat (now mostly plant-based), to how I breathe, to carefully choosing the company I keep, to even unplugging all electronics while I sleep. Because of my newfound sensitivity (which feels amazing!), it also means I have to devote a lot more time in my day meditating, grounding, and learning how to manage energies around me. At this point, however, integration of my trips has become second nature. When you taste bliss, your body simply wants to get you back to this place — your new and improved home.

2. They show you the multi-dimensional possibilities of life — the good and the bad.

No matter how many beautiful trips you have, you still must return to the day-to-day goings on of your mind, your family, your traumas, your job, your friends, and the general chaos of the social world. There is no escape. And, psychedelics teach you how to alchemize any experience into something beautiful, positive and worthwhile.

I have learned to adopt a certain ease and acceptance of both the serendipity and hardships of life. It is all part of the same fabric of our living and breathing universe and universal experience of life on this planet. When you begin to take every experience as perfect or divine even, life takes on a whole different timbre, color and scope. Every trial and triumph adds to a sense of deeper meaning and purpose to your life. This ineffable quality of what some psychedelic journeys may offer you helps to keep the magic of everyday living alive and well.

3. They bring you to another reality but with no language on how to communicate with it or to others about it.

I would argue that we are still learning how to put into language the world psychedelics bring us to and that this need is the frontier for their future use. There is a lot in this world that simply goes beyond words and sometimes goes beyond what we would even like to put into words for fear of flattening out its dynamic expression. While I have experienced many mystical and profound moments on these drugs, I also believe my training as a psychotherapist and practices in meditation and breathwork have helped me learn how to navigate these psychic depths. For many others, however, having a transcendental experience and coming back to the same life and environment from which you began and not knowing how to integrate what you’ve just experienced, can be deeply discouraging. Psychedelics shortcut the road to bliss, but without knowing how to bring your conscious awareness through the stages of the come up, the ‘peak,’ the come down and then post-trip integration, one can grow dependent on these drugs, hindering the progress of one’s own self-reflective abilities.

Without a language to describe this new reality or how to communicate this with others, you may find yourself in a bit of a bind. And I think this is what Ram Dass was referring to about his trips making life more difficult. Drugs bring you to an ecstatic state of unconditional love only to send you back to a topsy-turvy world whose values seem to go against that of love and connection and more towards greed, fear, and scarcity. I am fortunate to have found a solid network of friends on a similar journey so I feel supported, but I also recommend if you are to take this path, be prepared. There will be shifts in your friend circles and your lifestyle. You simply cannot go back to the way you were, and if you do, the stakes become greater because of your ‘higher self’ that now knows better.

For me, the gifts of psychedelics have been manifold. It has shown me another world that I wish to bring others to. It has shown me how our social world needs a lot of work in making it a safer place for our souls rather than our egos, and how we are still in desperate need for new ways to speak about energy, ego, and what sits behind it.

As the Divine energies of Shiva/Shakti and Yin/Yang dictate, there exist polarities in this world. While psychedelics teach us that we can have heaven on earth, they also teach us we have to work for it and how much work there is still left to be done in making this world a better, kinder, and more supportive place for all beings. I am grateful to have found this path and am hopeful to bring others along for the ride. As psychologist and spiritual teacher Bobby Klein, PhD likes to quote the wisdom of the Aztecs with his own twist, “In laK’esh a lakim. I am the other you and I like it that way!”

Last edited:
people-on-street.jpg

Cambridge

IPI - The top recommended Psychedelic Therapy Training

Elena Schmidt | The Third Wave | 21 May 2021

The harsh reality is that mental illness is spreading much faster than the field of psychiatry. What’s worse? Since the pandemic, Covid-19 has tripled the rate of depression in US adults. The dire situation calls for a radical disruption of the status quo; an alternative that empowers individuals to heal from within along with support from trained therapists. Thousands of Americans have already found relief from ketamine assisted psychotherapy, but the majority of healthcare professionals know nothing about it. Fortunately, a handful of renowned centers, like Integrative Psychiatry Institute, offer accredited psychedelic therapy training programs to certify the next generation of mental health providers. The psychiatric revolution starts now.

Psychedelic therapy training to fight the mental health crisis

The mental health crisis has grown too large and too pervasive to pretend that current methodologies are working. As a responsible healthcare provider, you can’t help but look at reality square in the face.

The mental health crisis
Psychedelic therapy training

If you’re a clinician operating under the current psychopharmacology system, these statistics likely frustrate you. You’ve devoted your life to the betterment of humans, yet your clinical toolbox consists of psychotherapy combined with SSRIs that numb symptoms rather than treating the whole person. Chances are that you’d prefer an integrative approach; one that incorporates transpersonal psychology to help you transcend this antiquated system, address mind and body, and focus on mystical experiences that can bolster healing from within. Psychedelic-assisted therapy can help support this type of radical transformation.

In the US, ketamine-assisted therapy (KAT) is legal, and emerging clinics are already helping countless patients transcend mental illness. MDMA- and psilocybin-assisted treatments are currently in Phase 3 FDA clinical trials, and several states are considering decriminalization or legalization. Oregon, for example, voted in November of 2020 to approve psilocybin-assisted therapy. California lawmakers also recently proposed a bill to decriminalize psychedelic drugs, including psilocybin mushrooms, DMT, ibogaine, LSD, and MDMA. This may be cutting-edge stuff, but the future is nearer than you think. If you’d like to prepare for that future, IPI can help you bring psychedelics into your practice after a year of in-depth training.

Psychedelic therapy training with ketamine, MDMA, and psilocybin

Ketamine may be the only FDA-approved “psychedelic drug” (it’s actually a dissociative) so far, but IPI’s year-long course for clinicians doesn’t limit training to ketamine only. IPI believes MDMA- and psilocybin-assisted therapies are up next, which is why it created a program that looks ahead to the revolution unfolding. After a year of in-depth training from the world’s leading psychedelic experts, you’ll have an entirely new framework for mental health and the knowledge to help your clients experience profound breakthroughs.

Core benefits of IPI’s program:
  • (mostly) Virtual: You’ll experience 90% live virtual learning, plus have access to recorded sessions in your online library.
  • Experiential learning: You’ll have the opportunity to participate in an in-person ketamine retreat.
  • Psychedelic science and research: You’ll grasp the pharmacology and understand dosing protocols.
  • Therapeutic process: You’ll learn how to incorporate somatic therapy techniques, understand trauma neuroscience, and get comfortable working with non-ordinary states of consciousness.
  • Integrative treatment planning: You’ll discover mind-body integration practices and basic nutritional recommendations.
  • Professional development: You’ll learn the essentials of harm reduction and clinical models of care that address access issues and ethics.
Intrapersonal development: You’ll explore therapist self-regulation techniques such as holotropic breathwork, meditation, and mindfulness.

Training with world-renowned psychedelic teachers, researchers, and authors

IPI is the only program with 30+ staff members who are single-handedly advancing the field of psychedelic medicine. Throughout this 150-hour psychedelic therapies and research course, you’ll learn a new mental health modality from reputable educators at MAPS public benefit corporation, Johns Hopkins, Usona Institute, CIIS, and more.

Featured faculty​

• Michael Pollan.Michael Pollan is a New York Times bestselling author who famously wrote How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence in 2018.
  • Rick Doblin, PhD. Rick is the founder of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), a non-profit research organization currently sponsoring a multi-site Phase 3 study of MDMA-assisted therapy for PTSD and a survey on ayahuasca for PTSD.
  • Gabor Maté, MD. Gabor is an internationally-renowned speaker, author, and caretaker fighting to solve the mental health crisis. For his work, Gabor received the Order of Canada award, the country’s highest civilian distinction, and the Civic Merit award from Vancouver.
  • Annie Mithoefer, BSN. Annie is a Registered Nurse and former co-investigator on two MAPS-sponsored Phase 2 clinical trials for people with PTSD.
Michael Mithoefer, MD. Michael is a psychiatrist in Asheville, NC. He and his wife Annie have collaborated with MAPS on two of the six Phase 2 clinical trials testing MDMA-assisted psychotherapy. They’ve also participated in MAPS research providing MDMA-assisted sessions to therapists.

Experiential therapist training for clinicians

Perhaps the most life-changing part of IPI’s Online Psychedelic Assisted Therapy Training is the experiential ketamine retreat. Through this optional clinical experience, you’ll have the chance to complete the course as a certified Psychedelic Assisted Therapy Provider (PATP) and learn profound lessons about yourself in the process. Over this three-day intensive in Boulder, Colorado, you’ll practice ketamine-assisted therapy with participants. You’ll also have the opportunity to experience your own ketamine therapy session so you can genuinely understand your patients’ psychedelic experience first-hand. On top of it all, the experiential retreat offers you a unique opportunity to connect with like-minded colleagues who are collectively building this integrative community.

Psychedelic therapists training program qualifications

IPI designed its year-long training for mental health professionals like you who can immediately bring their knowledge into a clinical setting. IPI looks for providers with advanced degrees, but they also encourage less experienced psychotherapists to apply. In general, you should meet one of the following qualifications.
  • Professional Clinical Counselors (LPC)
  • Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT)
  • Clinical Psychologists (PhD/PsyD)
  • Licensed Addictions Counselor (LAC)
  • Clinical Social Workers (LCSW)
  • Pre-licensed therapists (MA)
  • Chaplains (M.Div.)
  • Registered Nurses (BSN)
  • Physicians (MD/DO)
  • Nurse Practitioners (NP)
The impact of IPI’s training program

From its in-depth programming to its featured faculty, IPI prepares you to expand your core competencies and act now. Following the program, you’ll have the tools and knowledge to ethically, safely, and effectively get involved with ketamine-assisted psychotherapy. You’ll also be ready to work with MDMA therapy and psilocybin in private practice upon anticipated FDA approval. And you don’t have to work in the confines of what medical school taught you. This is your chance to share the astounding benefits that have been scientifically researched, witness real-life transformation stories, and dive into a philosophy of hope for the future.

Last edited:
MANNA_Counseling-1.jpg

Training Therapists to Integrate Psychedelics

by Beverly Stills | LUCID | 16 Dec 2020

Five years ago, clinicians at Oregon-based Portland Psychotherapy didn’t hear much about the use of psychedelics among its patient population. In the past year or so, however, client use and interest has skyrocketed, says psychologist Brian Pilecki, PhD. As such, the team there decided it was important to support clients in a trained, research-based fashion.

While the clinic is also a psychedelic research center, Pilecki says the Portland team sought out specific training from Fluence, a New York-based program designed to assist clinicians in psychedelic integration. “We see a growing number of clients who seek out psychedelics on their own,” says Pilecki. “We want to support that population as best we can.”

Pilecki attended a Fluence training session in 2018 prior to joining the practice in Portland. He left armed with the tools he needed to assist patients curious about, or using, psychedelics. As the use of psychedelics grew and exploded, he suggested the Portland team participate in the training as well. “The two-day training provides the background and research-based results to create a community of therapists interested in integration work,” Pilecki says. “Fluence approaches the topic with scientific rigor, caution, and humility.”

Psychedelic Integration Training

Up to 10 percent of the U.S. population has tried psychedelics at one time or another, according to Ingmar Gorman, psychologist and co-founder of Fluence. “With trends to decriminalize the drugs in some states, and widespread media coverage, we’re witnessing a big uptick in interest about their therapeutic applications.”

While this demand for psychedelic treatment is growing, the clinical world largely lags behind. “When you go through medical school, there’s very little time dedicated to learning about psychedelics and their applications,” explains Gorman. “We want to help clinicians get up to speed so that they can responsibly handle this clientele.”

Fluence focuses on psychedelic integration training for clinicians as a way to guide their clients through the experience. This does not mean administering the drugs, nor does it mean accompanying patients while they trip, or encouraging seeking them out at retreats and other settings.

Instead, psychedelic integration aims to help clients understand and process their trips. “These are complex experiences and it’s key that therapists have an understanding of that in order to best serve their patients,” added Gorman.

Key to this is assisting patients in harm reduction, a core component of the Fluence training. Harm reduction includes a spectrum of interventions aimed at reducing the negative effects of health behaviors without necessarily seeking to eradicate them. So, while the use of psychedelics may be helpful to some patients in working through depression, anxiety or PTSD, it may bring with it a host of negative impacts. Harm reduction therapy works to minimize those impacts.

“Using psychedelics outside of a clinical setting can be unpredictable,” explains Elizabeth Nielson, psychologist and Gorman’s co-founder. “We train therapists to respond to these situations.”

In the case of Portland Psychotherapy, for instance, Pilecki learned to take the stance of not encouraging clients to do anything illegal, while understanding they may do just that. “My role is to provide clients with an understanding of the full risks and benefits and empower them to make the right decisions for their particular situation,” he says.

Psychedelic experiences might include an exacerbation of symptoms, such as heightened anxiety or depression, for instance, or a negative trip that returns a patient to an intensely traumatic event. When therapists are trained to expect and respond to this, they can greatly improve a patient’s outcome.​

The logistics

Fluence training sessions vary in topic and duration, but their introductory program includes an overview and history of psychedelic drugs, current research findings on the topic, integration and harm reduction therapy training. Nielson points out the importance of the historical aspect. “There was a good deal of valuable research with psychedelics in the ‘60s,” she says. “It’s important to visit that body of work and learn from it.”

At Pilecki’s suggestion Portland Psychotherapy hosted Fluence for an introductory training, attended by around 50 staff and local clinicians. “There are other training groups popping up these days, but we went with Fluence because it offers continuing education credits, which further validates this area of treatment,” Pilecki explains. The training doubled as a fundraiser for Portland Psychotherapy’s MDMA-assisted therapy research study.

The two day live-online program included didactic training, role playing, Q & A sessions and more. “We set up groups of three so that each member can have a chance role playing as patient, as therapist, and as observer,” explains Nielson. “We also teach therapists to identify potential contraindications, and patients at higher risk for negative consequences.”

In addition to online workshops and in-person retreats, Fluence offers 12-week online classes broken into hour-and-a-half long sessions. These cover topics like psychological approaches to psychedelics therapy, integration essentials, and psychedelics and social justice.

To date, nearly 700 clinicians have taken part in Fluence training, and in the current environment, that’s probably the tip of the iceberg. That’s a good thing, says Pilecki. “In Oregon, the law change to decriminalize psychedelics will certainly increase its usage,” he says. “That won’t change how I operate as a therapist, however, and my primary focus will continue to be harm reduction.”

Pilecki likes the fact that following the training, he and his fellow therapists became part of a list-serve made up of fellow Fluence attendees. “This has been very useful,” he says. “I go in regularly to bring up questions that arise as I treat different clients. Given the fact that this is a newer clinical application, we’re always running into new areas where we can use consultation with other therapists.”

As soon as next year, the FDA may begin to approve therapeutic uses for a variety of psychedelics. The role of clinicians trained in psychedelic integration therapy will become more critical than ever, as will the need for formal training in psychedelic-assisted therapy. Fluence is ready to meet that call.

Narrow-Life-Workbook-1.png

A Workbook for Psychedelic Integration

by Rachel Harris | LUCID News | 16 Sep 2021

Kile Ortigo, PhD is a psychologist with both a research and clinical background. This makes him an impressive guide as he invites you to travel with him across the landscape of existential exploration. Beyond the Narrow Life teems with conceptual diagrams, suggestions for personal discovery, exercises, journaling instructions, homework assignments and meditations. The author’s presence throughout the book is supportive and encouraging. Beyond the Narrow Life is a rich and complex guidebook which could keep a reader busy for…well…a lifetime of existential exploration.

The book promises to be a guide for psychedelic integration. It includes a three-page section on a “very brief overview of psychedelics,” as well as anonymous two-page trip reports toward the end of each chapter that are intended to illustrate “how a person might create meaning from and integrate the (psychedelic) experience in their life.” These are selected with therapeutic sensitivity and help connect the chapter content to psychedelic experiences, albeit minimally.

Given the current psychedelic renaissance and the burgeoning research studies documenting the therapeutic value of these medicines, psychedelic integration is a hot topic. However, it’s a topic that has not yet been well-defined, and this book does not contribute significantly to understanding how different psychedelic experiences can be integrated into one’s daily life. What does psychedelic integration mean after an ayahuasca ceremony versus after a ketamine trip? How is a psilocybin journey qualitatively different from one with MDMA when it comes to the challenge of learning from these experiences? These are questions for not only this author, but for the entire psychedelic community.

Our Western culture lacks a container that is both sacred and healing for the use of psychedelics. Oh, for a modern ritual like the Eleusinian Mysteries! We need to find new ways of working with these substances that lead naturally and seamlessly to bringing transformed individuals back into the community to share their transcendent gifts.

The conceptual framework for the book is Joseph Campbell’s hero’s journey, first published in 1949. Simply put, it describes the departure, initiation and return. There are innumerable references to the Star Wars film series based on the same myth. Unfortunately, this outdated framework misses half the population. Maureen Murdock, in The Heroine’s Journey: Woman’s Quest for Wholeness, offers an alternative perspective for women that deals directly with the impact of the cultural patriarchy and considers the primacy of relationships in a woman’s life.

In a similar way, researchers have had to re-conceptualize psychological theories when they began to include women in their studies. Consider the evolution of the response to stress. For decades it was thought to be fight or flight; then eventually freeze was added as an alternative response. Then, lo and behold, researchers looked at how women actually respond and the framework had to be changed to include fight, flight, freeze, or tend and befriend.

Campbell’s hero’s journey is a rather lonely one, dedicated to self-evolution. Yet the daily challenge of psychedelic integration arises most frequently in relationships with loved ones. How do we behave when stressed, when hurt, when ignored or misunderstood? The hero’s journey shines little light on how moments of mystical experience evolve into kinder, more compassionate behavior in personal relationships, in the community and in the world.

As a guide for existential exploration, however, Beyond the Narrow Life offers a great variety of prompts for self-reflection. In essence, this is a workbook with exercises, suggestions, journaling activities and meditations. In this way, the book could serve as a rich adjunct to psychotherapy.

Each chapter opens with “Self-Reflections Check-In,” a paragraph of questions designed to explore what the reader learned, how they used the new insights in daily life and what’s opening up from within. “Did you start uncovering hidden parts of yourself? Which fears and concerns resonated with you? Whatever you experienced and discovered will continue to unfold.” These paragraphs are essential lessons in how to live an examined life. The author manages to communicate kindness and encouragement as he challenges the reader to self-reflect.

Intellectual content is presented with an abundance of graphs, charts, and figures selected to enhance the progression of the hero’s journey. Toward the end of each chapter there’s a list of possible suggestions designed to integrate into daily life what the reader has learned and discovered in themselves. For example, one suggestion is, “Outline your basic assumption about your life’s meaning.” Another one is, “Decide what your superpower might be if you were a superhero. Then imagine a ‘real world’ version of that power that you can develop, hone, or express in your life.”

These are creative, sophisticated suggestions with detailed, helpful examples to make them real. They reflect the author’s depth of clinical experience, working with clients over time in important ways.

Ortigo has a real interest in psychedelics — he completed the California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) program in Psychedelic-assisted Therapies and Research under the mentorship of Bill Richards, PhD, who wrote the Foreword for this book. He’s active on the board of Psychedelic Support, an online resource and directory for people seeking psychedelic informed care in legal, above-ground settings. The workbook suggestions in Beyond the Narrow Life are ideal for helping someone progress in a therapeutic process, but from this reader’s perspective they do not constitute a guide to psychedelic integration.

*From the article here :

Training therapists to Integrate Psychedelics

by Beverly Stills | LUCID News | 18 Jan 2021

Five years ago, clinicians at Oregon-based Portland Psychotherapy didn’t hear much about the use of psychedelics among its patient population. In the past year or so, however, client use and interest has skyrocketed, says psychologist Brian Pilecki, PhD. As such, the team there decided it was important to support clients in a trained, research-based fashion.

While the clinic is also a psychedelic research center, Pilecki says the Portland team sought out specific training from Fluence, a New York-based program designed to assist clinicians in psychedelic integration. “We see a growing number of clients who seek out psychedelics on their own,” says Pilecki. “We want to support that population as best we can.”

Pilecki attended a Fluence training session in 2018 prior to joining the practice in Portland. He left armed with the tools he needed to assist patients curious about, or using, psychedelics. As the use of psychedelics grew and exploded, he suggested the Portland team participate in the training as well. “The two-day training provides the background and research-based results to create a community of therapists interested in integration work,” Pilecki says. “Fluence approaches the topic with scientific rigor, caution, and humility.”

Psychedelic Integration Training

Up to 10 percent of the U.S. population has tried psychedelics at one time or another, according to Ingmar Gorman, psychologist and co-founder of Fluence. “With trends to decriminalize the drugs in some states, and widespread media coverage, we’re witnessing a big uptick in interest about their therapeutic applications.”

While this demand for psychedelic treatment is growing, the clinical world largely lags behind. “When you go through medical school, there’s very little time dedicated to learning about psychedelics and their applications,” explains Gorman. “We want to help clinicians get up to speed so that they can responsibly handle this clientele.”

Fluence focuses on psychedelic integration training for clinicians as a way to guide their clients through the experience. This does not mean administering the drugs, nor does it mean accompanying patients while they trip, or encouraging seeking them out at retreats and other settings.

Instead, psychedelic integration aims to help clients understand and process their trips. “These are complex experiences and it’s key that therapists have an understanding of that in order to best serve their patients,” added Gorman.

Key to this is assisting patients in harm reduction, a core component of the Fluence training. Harm reduction includes a spectrum of interventions aimed at reducing the negative effects of health behaviors without necessarily seeking to eradicate them. So, while the use of psychedelics may be helpful to some patients in working through depression, anxiety or PTSD, it may bring with it a host of negative impacts. Harm reduction therapy works to minimize those impacts.

“Using psychedelics outside of a clinical setting can be unpredictable,” explains Elizabeth Nielson, psychologist and Gorman’s co-founder. “We train therapists to respond to these situations.”

In the case of Portland Psychotherapy, for instance, Pilecki learned to take the stance of not encouraging clients to do anything illegal, while understanding they may do just that. “My role is to provide clients with an understanding of the full risks and benefits and empower them to make the right decisions for their particular situation,” he says.

Psychedelic experiences might include an exacerbation of symptoms, such as heightened anxiety or depression, for instance, or a negative trip that returns a patient to an intensely traumatic event. When therapists are trained to expect and respond to this, they can greatly improve a patient’s outcome.​

The logistics

Fluence training sessions vary in topic and duration, but their introductory program includes an overview and history of psychedelic drugs, current research findings on the topic, integration and harm reduction therapy training. Nielson points out the importance of the historical aspect. “There was a good deal of valuable research with psychedelics in the ‘60s,” she says. “It’s important to visit that body of work and learn from it.”

At Pilecki’s suggestion Portland Psychotherapy hosted Fluence for an introductory training, attended by around 50 staff and local clinicians. “There are other training groups popping up these days, but we went with Fluence because it offers continuing education credits, which further validates this area of treatment,” Pilecki explains. The training doubled as a fundraiser for Portland Psychotherapy’s MDMA-assisted therapy research study.

The two day live-online program included didactic training, role playing, Q & A sessions and more. “We set up groups of three so that each member can have a chance role playing as patient, as therapist, and as observer,” explains Nielson. “We also teach therapists to identify potential contraindications, and patients at higher risk for negative consequences.”

In addition to online workshops and in-person retreats, Fluence offers 12-week online classes broken into hour-and-a-half long sessions. These cover topics like psychological approaches to psychedelics therapy, integration essentials, and psychedelics and social justice.

To date, nearly 700 clinicians have taken part in Fluence training, and in the current environment, that’s probably the tip of the iceberg. "That’s a good thing," says Pilecki. “In Oregon, the law change to decriminalize psychedelics will certainly increase its usage,” he says. “That won’t change how I operate as a therapist, however, and my primary focus will continue to be harm reduction.”

Pilecki likes the fact that following the training, he and his fellow therapists became part of a list-serve made up of fellow Fluence attendees. “This has been very useful,” he says. “I go in regularly to bring up questions that arise as I treat different clients. Given the fact that this is a newer clinical application, we’re always running into new areas where we can use consultation with other therapists.”

As soon as next year, the FDA may begin to approve therapeutic uses for a variety of psychedelics. The role of clinicians trained in psychedelic integration therapy will become more critical than ever, as will the need for formal training in psychedelic-assisted therapy. Fluence is ready to meet that call.

Last edited:
15017_CIIS_First_Floor_Gallery.jpg

About the Certificate in Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies and Research

California Institute of Integral Studies

This Certificate Program is housed in the CIIS Center for Psychedelic Therapies and Research. The Center also provides diverse public education about psychedelic research and the use of psychedelics in psychotherapy from the past decades, as well as teaching on topics such as creativity enhancement, consciousness studies, comparative mysticism, well-being enrichment, and harm reduction. Book readings and lectures by scholars of psychedelic medicines have been presented since 2015.

The Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies and Research Certificate Program serves a growing need for the training of skilled therapist researchers who will ideally seek advanced training for future FDA-approved psychedelic-assisted and entactogen-assisted psychotherapy research. We use the term "psychedelic" to refer to both the classic psychedelics (LSD, psilocybin, peyote, ayahuasca, etc.) and to those drugs specifically termed "entactogens" and also known as "empathogens" (MDMA, MDA, etc.). Enrollees are professionals in specific licensed mental health and medical professions, as well as eligible ordained or commissioned clergy and chaplains.

The roots of this Certificate are in the work of scholars and researchers on psychedelic-assisted psychotherapies, transpersonal psychology, consciousness studies, psychoanalysis, comparative mysticism, and cultural anthropology. While this Certificate program emphasizes the therapeutic models of psychedelic research, we address the philosophy and theory from these other scholarly traditions as well.

CIIS has an outstanding reputation of over 50 years in graduate education that integrates consciousness studies and psychology, including psychedelic studies. The format of instruction and curriculum has been developed by an esteemed team led by Dr. Janis Phelps, Director of the Center for Psychedelic Therapies and Research, in collaboration with many clinicians and researchers in the field. As Heffter Research Institute trustee and former CIIS Dean of Faculty for the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Dr. Phelps is well positioned to lead a multidisciplinary team of international expert teachers.

Read about the history of the development of the Certificate in CIIS Today.

Exciting Updates for the 2022 Class

The Center received a $1.0 million grant from the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation to support the expansion of our certificate program. The Foundation’s generous gift will help the Center meet the rapidly growing demand for psychedelic therapists by training 1,125 graduates over the next three years. In addition to expanding our course curriculum and online offerings, the grant will also support the addition of new training sites in the coming years with Boston as the first additional location which began in 2021. It is also the goal for the Center to build the infrastructure for the field of psychedelic therapy by forming a national speakers bureau, public education, continuing education for licensed professionals, and an online directory of program graduates.

After expanding our programming to include two cohorts of students in 2021, our Center is scaling the certificate training in 2022 to three cohorts of students who are mental health and medical professionals or ordained clergy. We will continue to offer hybrid cohort options with classes in both Boston, MA and San Francisco, CA. We are excited to offer an entirely online cohort, which will be open to licensed psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and psychiatric nurses. This online cohort will allow greater accessibility to the certificate program for these clinicians both nationally and internationally.

Because of our great success and significantly increased demand for admissions into this program, we are expanding the size of our program with an expected 150 trainees per hybrid cohort and 75 students in the online cohort. The outstanding certificate program has been continuously fine-tuned based on our program evaluations from the past six years. Of note, issues of diversity, inclusion, and belonging in the field of psychedelic medicines have continued to develop as a strong presence in the program. Both the engaging hybrid online-residential classes and the online-only classes will be conducted during an eight-month period.

With the success of our online classes for our hybrid programs in both Boston and San Francisco, we have chosen to offer an online-only cohort due to key opportunities offered by a virtual program. With an increasing number of trainees joining us from around the United States and twelve countries internationally, an online program for specific psychotherapists will enhance accessibility globally while offering an excellent learning experience. Trainees in the online cohort will receive equivalent instruction to the hybrid cohorts and will complete essential role plays virtually. This online program has limited spaces and is only open to licensed psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and psychiatric nurses.

Philosophy and Goals of the Certificate

Consistent with CIIS ideals, this certificate strives to encompass all aspects of learning: intellectual/didactic, personal/experiential, and applied. The research and therapy training is conducted with learning processes embedded in self-reflection, community-building, embodied ways of knowing, and mentoring. Students learn a wide variety of necessary skills and knowledge bases, ranging from pharmacology of psychedelics to research design to psychedelic therapist competencies to the history of use of psychoactive plants across the globe.

In order to accomplish such a holistic enterprise, the program values and implements the deconstruction of various perspectives and cultural viewpoints, along with didactic and experiential learning with teachers representing diverse specializations. The global wisdom traditions related to alterations of consciousness (meditation, yoga, fasting, solo wilderness retreats, healing methods, etc.) play a role in the theoretical underpinnings of the curriculum, as well as being directly enacted as part of the personal/experiential aspect of the training. Two core elements for the 2022 class will be topics on diversity, inclusion, and belonging as well as situating trainees with knowledge of the wide array of job opportunities in the field. We will co-create a culture of belonging throughout the program for all trainees in order to foster empathy, connection, and risk taking.

Our scope of inquiry has the breadth and depth necessary for a graduate to have a sufficient understanding of the field’s empirical research methods and outcomes, the key clinical competencies, and ways to situate themselves in the constantly evolving streams of non-profit and for-profit organizations, and decriminalization movements. Our trainees have access to experts in the psychedelic field and in-depth mentoring that enables them to create professional connections not otherwise available among the influencers in this arena. In terms of personal connections and building opportunities, trainees are welcomed into affinity and special interest groups among their peers and join an engaging, active alumni association when they graduate.

It is important to note that at no time does the program promote or require the use of psychedelic drugs in any manner. Students taking the Certificate will learn about the competencies required of therapist guides in federally approved medical treatment and psychedelic research. An exception to this can be if a student chooses to get optional training in a ketamine clinic, which may involve an opportunity to experience ketamine on a case-by-case basis.

Full 2022 Information Packet about the Certificate: Download the 2022 Information Packet

Planned 2022 Certificate Teachers:

Many leading scholars, psychiatrists, psychologists and therapists from Johns Hopkins University, New York University, UCLA, UC Berkeley, and the other institutions will be teaching in the program. Below is a list of most of our teachers, while other scholars and teachers are to be determined.​
  • Dr. Kwasi Adusei (Psychedelic Society of Western New York)​
  • Dr. Brian Anderson (UC San Francisco)​
  • Sizwe Andrews-Abakah and Mizan Alkebulan-Abakah, MPH (Spearitwurx)​
  • Dr. Anthony Back (University of Washington)​
  • Dr. Anthony Bossis (New York University)​
  • Dr. Susana Bustos (CIIS)​
  • Karen Cooper, RN (MAPS Ft. Collins, Colorado)​
  • Mary Cosimano, MSW (Johns Hopkins University)​
  • Dr. Nicholas Cozzi (University of Wisconsin)​
  • Dawn Davis, MA (U. of Idaho and Indigenous Program for STEM)​
  • Dr. Rick Doblin (MAPS)​
  • Amy Emerson (MAPS)​
  • Dr. George Greer (Heffter Co-founder)​
  • Dr. Charles Grob (UCLA, Heffter Co-founder)​
  • Dr. Jeffrey Guss (New York University)​
  • Diane Haug, LPC​
  • Patricia James (Cheyenne Pipe Carrier)​
  • Emma Knighton, MA, LMHC​
  • Dr. Anja Loizaga-Velder (Nierika Institute)​
  • Dr. Maria Mangini (Holy Names University and CIIS)​
  • Dr. Keith McCoy (State of North Carolina)​
  • Dr. Natalie Metz (CIIS)​
  • Dr. Michael Mithoefer (MAPS)​
  • Annie Mithoefer, RN (MAPS)​
  • Dr. David Nichols (Heffter Co-founder)​
  • Dr. Janis Phelps (CIIS)​
  • Dr. David Presti (UC Berkeley)​
  • Dr. Charles Raison (Usona Institute)​
  • Dr. William Richards (Johns Hopkins University)​
  • Dr. Ben Sessa (Imperial College)​
  • Dick Simon (YPO Psychedelic Group, BPRG)​
  • Dr. Robert Strayhan (Unity Health)​
  • Shirley Strong, MEd, MA (CIIS)​
  • Dr. Malynn Utzinger (Usona Institute)​
  • Dr. Monnica Williams (U. of Ottawa)​
  • Dr. Berra Yazar-Klosinski (MAPS)​
  • Dr. Rachel Yehuda (Mt. Sinai Medical Center and Bronx V.A.)​
  • Other scholars and teachers TBD​

Hybrid Online and Residential Format

For all cohorts, the 2022 curriculum entails 150 total hours of instruction, including 120 hours of in-class learning (online and/or in-person) and 30 hours of individualized learning, mentor consultations, and online video instruction. Applicants will choose their preferred cohort at time of application: San Francisco, Boston, or Online-only. The Online-only cohort will participate in the Boston class dates virtually for the training weekends. The San Francisco program is hybrid only. All applicants commit to the timing and type of the cohort to which they are admitted. See the exact 2022 schedule below.

We are actively watching for fluctuations of guidelines from the CDC and university administration in terms of the development of the COVID variants. We reserve the right to move any planned in-person classes to online for the safety of all involved.

Hybrid Online and Residential Format for the Boston and San Francisco Cohorts

For both the Boston and San Francisco based cohorts, the certificate program course schedule will be comprised of six total weekends; two 4-day in-person weekends, a 6-day in-person training, and three 2-day online weekends. One spring 2022 weekend will be in-person in order to experience Holotropic Breathwork during part of that course meeting. There will be a 6-day in-person training in the summer, and the final meeting in the fall will also be held in-person. The in-person weekends will be conducted at a comfortable conference hotel.

For all 2022 in-person classes, the Center will follow CIIS administrative and CDC guidance regarding COVID-19. Currently, the CIIS Vaccine Mandate requires all persons on campus and at conference centers to verify vaccination or request a medical or religious exception. We anticipate CIIS will continue to mandate vaccines in 2022 and applicants to the hybrid cohorts should plan accordingly. See more information about CIIS’ response to COVID-19 here: https://www.ciis.edu/covid19.

Online-only Format

We are excited to offer an Online-only cohort beginning in 2022. We have limited the composition of this cohort to licensed psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and psychiatric nurses. These licensed professionals have the necessary and sufficient supervised clinical and psychotherapeutic background in order to complete the required role-plays online. In 2023, we may allow other professionals to join the Online-only cohort, but for 2022 this cohort is limited to these specific professional groups (see below for specific professions eligible for this cohort).

As with the hybrid cohorts, the Online-only cohort includes 6 total weekends, all conducted virtually via Zoom. The two 4-day weekends and the 6-day training will include the Boston hybrid cohort trainees, and three 2-day weekends will be held with both 2022 hybrid classes. Online trainees will be supported by teaching assistants and will participate at a distance, doing the experiential learning modules via video conference break-out rooms. See the full schedule below.

Innovative Curriculum and Learning Environment

The learning environment is in the form of lectures, small group discussion, review of therapy session recordings, mentoring experiences, and experiential learning (e.g., Holotropic Breathwork, role-play, guided imagery, expressive arts, and journaling). Classes begin in April 2022 for all cohorts and end in October 2022 for San Francisco and in November 2022 for Boston and the Online-only cohorts. The 6-day training will be in the summer on two separate long weekends: one near Boston and one near San Francisco. The Online cohort will virtually join the Boston cohort weekends. Arrangements and costs for all personal travel, lodging, and food are the responsibility of trainees in both hybrid cohorts. CIIS will reserve room blocks at a lower cost, available on a first-come, first-served basis.

The first class meeting in April for all cohorts will include either an experiential Holotropic Breathwork session or experiential therapy role plays. The hybrid cohorts will participate in a Saturday session of Holotropic Breathwork with Diane Haug who is a lead international teacher of the Grof Legacy Training. On that Saturday, the Online-only cohort will participate in guided therapy role plays with expert instructors.

An engaging feature of the program is the use of frequent flip classes, an innovative online learning pedagogy. In this type of class, students preview a recorded lecture or presentation before the class weekend and bring questions and comments to the class meetings. During an extended discussion period, the teacher is then able to provide deeper discourse into the topics at hand during class. The training program includes opportunities each class day for more intimate small group discussions within a Home Group. These Home Groups are comprised of 7-9 trainees who co-create a learning pod together for the entire certificate training. Book chapters and peer reviewed journal articles are assigned by our teachers for each class. Throughout the program, prominent readings are required and recommended as foundational learning for this field. For a sneak peek see the 2022 textbook list.

Trainees work with a distinguished mentor who has experience in psychedelic-assisted and/or entactogen-assisted psychotherapy research or in related areas of clinical expertise. Our mentors are licensed clinicians and well-known researchers with expertise in the area of psychedelic studies, and many have expertise in issues of diversity, inclusion and belonging. The mentors meet with a small group of mentees regularly and once individually during the program. Professional development discussions, assessments, and confidential integration of learning will occur in mentoring. As part of the culmination of the training, under the supervision of the mentors, trainees will write a final paper, several of which have been published by our graduates in peer refereed journals, or complete a final project.

At mid-year and at the end of the training, students and mentors complete several learning assessments. Trainees will complete a self-assessment of progress in the program, as well as an anonymous program evaluation in September, 2022 and February, 2023. Mentors will complete a year-end assessment of their mentees’ progress and an anonymous program evaluation. The Center staff utilize these reports to improves the program’s content and learning processes. We hold this research on trainee and program outcomes as essential for setting high academic standards in the continued evolution in the training psychedelic therapists and researchers.

Exceptional Collaboration with MAPS

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is currently requiring a 100-hour training for all eligible allied health professionals and clergy who wish to be permitted by MAPS to provide MDMA-assisted therapy after the FDA re-scheduling of MDMA. Since 2016, CIIS and MAPS have collaborated in organizing an opportunity for graduates of the CIIS program to efficiently complete MAPS therapist training. The 100 hours of the current MAPS training program are outlined here.

Notably, CIIS trainees will have completed approximately half of the training required by MAPS to conduct MDMA-assisted psychotherapy in approved clinical settings. This means that our graduates are more readily able to finish their MAPS training. MAPS has generously granted this key benefit for CIIS graduates in which they save approximately half of the cost of the full MAPS training. The 6-day summer trainings are collaboratively organized by CIIS and MAPS, and taught by the lead MAPS trainers, Michael Mithoefer, MD, and Annie Mithoefer, RN.

Individualized Offerings Beyond the Classroom

The certificate program provides students with an exemplary experience by offering additional opportunities for elective individualized learning and networking. Students may select from a multiplicity of options: supplementary workshop offerings, didactic and/or experiential trainings, as well as ketamine-assisted psychotherapy training. These offerings also provide occasions for students to deepen their understanding of that expert’s work and field and acquaint themselves with more influential mentors and teachers. Opportunities for training in ketamine-assisted psychotherapy will be offered through affiliated, highly skilled instructors and will have a separate fee. Students may receive credit for many of these varied offerings.

Each year there are several workshops which have included focused teaching on issues of accessibility, diversity and inclusion in the field; psychedelic session music; integration techniques; and strategies of creating regional psychedelic sciences groups. These are incredible opportunities to study with experts in the field in smaller sized groups of practitioners.

Schedule for Boston, San Francisco, and Online Cohorts

The hybrid cohorts in Boston and San Francisco will meet both online and in-person throughout the program. The Online-only cohort of licensed psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and psychiatric nurses meets on the Boston cohort schedule via video conference. During half of the classes, all three cohorts meet together for concurrent instruction via online video conference with their teachers. The other half of the classes are in-person instruction for the Boston and San Francisco cohorts, with the Online-only trainees attending the in-person Boston classes via video conference. Online trainees will be supported by teaching assistants and will participate at a distance, doing the experiential learning modules via video conference break-out rooms.

For the Boston and San Francisco cohorts, all hybrid trainees attend only the sessions scheduled for their cohort. The in-person schedule for the hybrid Boston and San Francisco classes are created for and attended by each cohort separately. The Online-only trainees must attend their designated schedule, which is the same as the Boston hybrid schedule. See Format of the Certificate Program section above for more information and refer below for specific dates for each cohort.

BOSTON: WEEKEND AND TRAINING DAYS AND TIMES

April 28th, 29th, 30th, & May 1st​
Welcome In-Person Weekend​
May 21st & 22nd​
Weekend Online​
August 10th to August 15th​
In-Person Training (MAPS modules) near Boston​
September 10th & 11th​
Weekend Online​
October 8th & 9th​
Weekend Online​
November 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th​
Closing In-Person Weekend​

The Boston Schedule for the Online Weekends:

Saturdays from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET
Sundays from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET

The in-person Boston weekend sessions will meet during these times:

Thursdays from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET
Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET
Saturdays, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET
Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET

6-Day In-Person Training (MAPS modules) near Boston:

Begins 2 p.m. ET on Wednesday, August 10th and ends 12 p.m. ET on Monday, August 15th.
With Expert MAPS trainers - Michael and Annie Mithoefer.

SAN FRANCISCO: WEEKEND AND TRAINING DAYS AND TIMES
April 7th, 8th, 9th, & 10th​
Welcome In-Person Weekend​
May 21st & 22nd​
Weekend Online​
June 22nd to June 27th​
In-Person Training (MAPS modules) near San Francisco​
September 10th & 11th​
Weekend Online​
October 8th & 9th​
Weekend Online​
October 27th, 28th, 29th & 30th​
Closing In-Person Weekend​

The Daily San Francisco Schedule for the Online Weekends:

Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. PT
Sundays from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. PT

The in-person San Francisco weekend sessions will meet during these times:

Thursdays from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. PT
Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. PT
Saturdays, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PT
Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. PT

6-Day In-Person Training (MAPS modules) near San Francisco:

Begins 2 p.m. PT on Wednesday, June 22nd and ends 12 p.m. PT on Monday, June 27th.

ONLINE-ONLY: WEEKEND AND TRAINING DAYS AND TIMES
April 28th, 29th, 30th, & May 1st​
Welcome Weekend Online​
May 21st & 22nd​
Weekend Online​
August 10th to August 15th​
Training Online (MAPS modules)​
September 10th & 11th​
Weekend Online​
October 8th & 9th​
Weekend Online​
November 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th​
Closing Weekend​

The Online-only Schedule for the May, September, and October Weekends:

Saturdays from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET
Sundays from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET

The Online-only weekend sessions will meet during these times:

Thursdays from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET
Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET
Saturdays, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET
Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET

6-Day Training (MAPS modules) online:

Begins 2 p.m. ET on Wednesday, August 10th and ends 12 p.m. ET on Monday, August 15th.

Curricular Modules of Study:

Find all the details on the in-depth topics covered in the Certificate.

Last edited:
people-on-street.jpg

Continuing Education for Health Professionals*

Psychedelic Support curates online continuing education (CE/CME) courses with the latest information from leading experts.

by Allison Feduccia, PhD | psychedelic.support | 18 Nov 2021

Are you prepared to answer questions from your clients about psychedelic therapies? The field of psychedelic medicine is rapidly evolving. Psychedelic continuing education is necessary for all health professionals. Here we explore options for courses, workshops, and training programs.

As the emerging industry of psychedelic medicine picks up pace, the need for physicians and mental health providers to get up to speed with current information is essential. The number of clinical trials investigating psychedelic drug products has increased dramatically in the last 2 years. These trials are looking at effects on many mental health conditions as well as for central nervous system disorders like traumatic brain injury, Alzheimer’s disease, and headache disorders. Given the seemingly infinite number of possible substances and drug-therapy combinations, how will health professionals assimilate the evidence base to provide safe and effective patient care?

Psychedelic therapy training programs are becoming more widely available but most focus on single substances, like ketamine or MDMA, in one therapeutic framework. Each specialized psychedelic training program has a hefty price tag, ranging from $2,000 to $10,000. While these programs are necessary to prepare the clinical workforce for the anticipated release of FDA-approved psychedelic medicines, there remains a need for ongoing psychedelic continuing education for professionals.

Imagine the future of psychiatric medicine in 5 to 7 years where a doctor can choose from twenty different antidepressant medications that fall under the umbrella of “compounds with psychedelic effects”. All these medications will have different pharmacological profiles with various safety considerations. Knowing who the medications are best suited for and how to deliver treatments for the highest likelihood of long lasting outcomes is information that will come through both research and real-world clinical practice data. Psychedelic continuing education will be the only way for health professionals to be informed on best practices and safety guidelines.

Regardless of the reasons for use, health providers are more frequently getting questions from their patients about psychedelic therapies and risks. Most providers are not equipped to answer these questions. To promote safe use and reduce potential harms, health care providers must become familiar with psychedelic substances’ pharmacology, clinical trial findings, subjective effects, dosing, negative effects, contraindicated medications and medical diagnoses, risk profiles, and ways to mitigate risks. This information is constantly evolving as research expands and new compounds and methods are developed.

Psychedelic continuing education equips practitioners with evidenced-based knowledge to feel confident in having conversations with their clients about psychedelics. To start, clinicians should be fluent in terminology commonly used in the emerging psychedelic medicine field. Communication is based on shared understanding. We need clearly defined words to converse in meaningful ways.

In the present day, more people are trying psychedelic substances after reading about health benefits published in media reports and trending in online forums. Some individuals are trying to gain therapeutic benefits at home by following procedures similar to those described in clinical trials. Others are experimenting with microdosing protocols to amplify creativity and boost productivity.

Once we have a basis for communication, we move on to higher levels of proficiency by learning foundational concepts and applications of psychedelics in therapeutic frameworks. With ongoing psychedelic continuing education, practitioners can grow their skill sets and build confidence in creating personalized treatment plans and recommendations for their clients.

Even if clinicians don’t plan on administering psychedelic medicines, they still must stay up on current treatment approaches. After just a few years, ketamine therapy is now widely available for mental health conditions mostly through off-label prescriptions. Yet the majority of health providers have not received any continuing education or formal training on ketamine therapy.

Currently, there are very few options available for mental health providers and doctors to receive psychedelic continuing education (CE) and continuing medical education (CME). At Psychedelic Support, we have curated online courses with the latest information from clinical trials and leading experts. These well-researched courses meet accreditation standards from the American Medical Association and the American Psychological Association. These engaging courses and training programs offer the medical community the most important information on psychedelic medicine. We partner with clinicians and researchers to deliver cutting-edge education that is rooted in science and evidence-based practices.

Our psychedelic continuing education encompasses self-paced learning, virtual classroom discussions, monthly guest speakers, and multimedia lessons for a stimulating and engaging educational experience. The foundational courses in ketamine, MDMA and psilocybin are the best place to start for establishing a solid understanding of psychedelics. Importantly, our content is created independent of pharmaceutical commercial interests to deliver unbiased, safety-forward instruction.

To become a certified psychedelic therapist, longer training programs are available. We partner with the best-in-class to assure practitioners receive the necessary skills, experiential learning, and supervision to administer psychedelic therapies. But again, since many new compounds and therapies are currently under development, the need for psychedelic continuing education will remain at the forefront as the field expands.

Ready to get started? Enroll now in our psychedelic continuing education courses, training programs, and workshops. We offer affordable options for clinicians, medical professionals, and anyone who wishes to learn more about psychedelic therapies.

Allison Feduccia, PhD​

Dr. Allison Feduccia is a Co-Founder and CEO of Psychedelic.Support and Project New Day. She is a neuropharmacologist interested in advancing psychedelic research, medicinal use of psychedelics, and ceremonial practices that incorporate plant medicines. Dr. Feduccia has published over 25 peer reviewed articles in scientific journals on psychedelics and mental health from her research at UT Austin, UCSF, NIH, and MAPS.

*From the article here :

Last edited:

Navigating Psychedelics

For Clinicians and Therapists - Live Sessions

Everything a mental health professional needs to know about psychedelics and psychedelic integration

Course Overview

This special edition of Navigating Psychedelics is dedicated towards educating therapists and clinicians. By enrolling in this course you will receive full access to our main Navigating Psychedelics: Lessons on Self-Care & Integration course plus our comprehensive series of clinician focused master classes.

If you have been wondering how you can incorporate psychedelic knowledge and education into your practice or even learn how to get started in the field of psychedelic psychotherapy, this course is for you!

Whether you’re just getting started on your psychedelic education journey or if you have had experiences with psychedelics, the Navigating Psychedelics course will help to answer some of these questions and more!

Navigating Psychedelics for Clinicians and Therapists is broken up into two courses and will be delivered in a mix of online study formats for eight weeks and include 1.5-hour calls each week. Weeks 1-4 will review the basics of psychedelic theory, science, harm reduction, and integration. Weeks 5-8 will focus more on clinical application and explore clinical themes and topics.This course will be delivered in an online format with pre-recorded material and live classes via Zoom.​

Course Curriculum

January 2022

Dates: Thursdays - January 6, 13, 20, 27, February 3, 10, 17, 24, and March 3
Group 1
Time: 11:00 am- 12:30pm PST / 2:00 pm- 3:30pm EST
Group 2

Time: 4:00 pm- 5:30pm PST / 7:00 pm- 8:30pm EST

Want to talk to someone and ask all of your questions before you commit? Thankfully, we have Q&A webinars for that.

To see our list of available webinars and sign up, click here.

US Facilitators
bwCeYCx8RACrQWDvMe0L

Course Outline

Navigating Psychedelics for Clinicians and Therapists is broken up into two courses and will be delivered in a mix of online study formats for eight weeks.

Course 1: Introduction to Psychedelics (Psychedelics 101)

You will learn :

• Everything you need to know about psychedelics from the history and science to the more practical information such as harm reduction, safety, preparation, navigating the space, self-care, and integration.
  • Harm reduction & safety tips
  • Festival safety
  • Working with difficult experiences & bad trips
  • Understanding hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD)
  • How to talk about your experience
  • How to work with an ego death experience
  • Dr. Stanislav Grof's transpersonal framework
  • Managing prolonged anxiety, depersonalization and derealization effects
  • How to integrate your psychedelic experience
  • Natural ways to induce a psychedelic state
  • And much more!

Course 2: Navigating Psychedelics for Clinicians and Therapists

You will learn :

• How to support your clients who wish to work with psychedelics
  • How to help your clients integrate his or her experience
  • How to stay safe by understanding the legal and ethical considerations
  • How to legally get involved in the psychedelic space now
  • How ketamine-assisted psychotherapy is being conducted and the legal/ethical considerations when it comes to this type of therapy
  • How to work with challenging and difficult experiences
  • And much more!
What you will receive when you enroll in the course
  • 20+ Hours of course material
  • 12 hours of face-to-face time with the instructors via Zoom (Eight 1.5-hour course calls)
  • Access to chat live with expert guest presenters
  • Connect with others for to build an online community!
    • Private access to our Slack (messaging application) channel for messaging and connecting with other students
  • At home integration practices
    • Meditations
    • Mini breathwork experience
    • Journaling prompts
  • Lifetime access to the course material
  • A list of psychedelic integration resources
  • UPDATES: You will receive any updates that we make for at least the next year!
Bonus Extras

Physical Copies of our Trip Journal and Integration Workbook and Downloadable eBooks/PDFs

How to host your own psychedelic group!
Psychedelic Today's Trip Journal
Psychedelic Today's Integration Workbook

fwj43KBtR9eM8xBs1w3e

Navigating Psychedelics Trip Journal

Are you planning a journey in the near future or working with clients who may be planning a trip?

Make sure you do not forget your trip journal!

This journal will help you or your clients best prepare for the experience and is a wonderful tool for self-exploration.

The Navigating Psychedelics Trip Journal is the ultimate book to help one prepare, track, and begin to work with their psychedelic experiences.

In this 68 page book, you will find preparation tips and advice, journal prompts, a psychedelic trip checklist, a trip report section, and more.

N0PnxAO0R3K6EoHzYzTD

Integration Workbook

Have you had a psychedelic experience and unsure how to work with the experience?

Psychedelic experiences can be difficult, confusing, blissful, and life-changing, but knowing what to do next can be overwhelming.

That is why we have put together this Navigating Psychedelics Integration Workbook to help you with your process.

This workbook can be used with your clients as a starting point for their integration process!

We have received much feedback from therapists and coaches who have been using these books with clients and absolutely LOVE them!

This workbook consists of different activities such as meditation prompts, journaling exercises, and goal planning.

Financial Assistance for Students

If you are a student and cannot afford this course, please email us at [email protected] FROM a university .edu email address. We will offer you a discount coupon for the independent learner edition.​

You must email us from your school's email address to receive this discount.

Students must be enrolled in a graduate program studying psychology, social work, counseling, and etc.

CE Credits Information

We are excited to offer 12 CE credits for our upcoming Navigating Psychedelics Course through our co-sponsor, Spiritual Competency Academy (SCA)

To Receive the Full 12 CE Credits (IMPORTANT)

You must attend ALL eight sessions for the entirety of each session (1.5 hours). If you miss a session, you may be able to make up the additional time for an additional cost. The CE credits for this course is specifically for the LIVE component of the course, so if you miss a Zoom call, you will have to forfeit your CE credits, unless you wish to schedule another call/time to go over the material. CE credits do not apply for the "at-home study" portion of the class.
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals

• CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Academy (SCA) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Academy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. SCA maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
• The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
• LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
• SCA is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California. RNs must retain this document for 4 years after the course concludes.
SCA is an approved CE provider for National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coaches (CEP Number 100196)
• For questions about enrolling in CE or receiving your Certificate of Attendance, visit Psychedelics Today or email Mike Alexander - support@psychedelicstoday. For other questions about CE contact David Lukoff, PhD at [email protected].​

Be sure to check with your local state board to make sure that this course can be approved for CE credit

To purchase CE credits, visit - https://www.psychedeliceducationcenter.com/p/ce-in...

Independent Learner Option

If our live supported class is sold out or if you wish to study at your own time, you can enroll in our "Independent Learner" option.

The offer below for $997 is our "independent Learner" option which includes all of the course material but does not include the live Zoom calls.

Enroll in the INDEPENDENT LEARNER course today!

If you want to attend the live course, please sign up for our waiting list.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
61839bd59d7d1eef3ea2a05d_planet.png

Introducing Vital: Immersive, Inclusive, and Personal Psychedelic Training for Professionals

A 12-month initiation in the elements of psychedelic therapy and integration

Vital Psychedelic Training | 24 Jan 2022

Master the elements of psychedelic practice and become part of a community of professionals on their mission to provide safe, ethical, and effective treatment and integration, beginning April 2022.

Learn
We packaged everything you need to know into five core modules covering the history and research, clinical science, the art of spaceholding and navigation, personal transformation, and integration. Each comprehensive module spans eight weeks of specialized lectures led by expert faculty and reading groups to deepen your understanding.

Experience
No amount of learning can make up for first-hand experience with holotropic states. Deepen your understanding of psychedelics and reignite your transformation by attending one of the four experiential retreats conveniently offered throughout the year in the United States and abroad.

Grow
The deeply experiential nature of the course supports your growth as a practitioner and gives you everything you need to set up your psychedelic practice from the ground up. Whether you’re a psychotherapist, coach, facilitator, mental health or complementary health practitioner, you will join a thriving community of specialists to support your mission.

Vital Curriculum

Core 1: Overview of Psychedelic and Research
Begin your journey with an overview of the rich historical and cultural landscape of psychedelics. Discover the philosophies and practices from indigenous traditions and ancient Greece all the way to the early research years and the current resurgence.

Core 2: Medical Overview of Psychedelics and Clinical Evaluation
Root your psychedelic practice in the latest clinical models for safe and effective treatments, including medical assessments and current neuroscience models.

Core 3: Psychedelic Therapies
Understand the legal boundaries of psychedelic therapy whilst shedding light on the transformative potential of psilocybin, MDMA, ketamine, ayahuasca, DMT, and cannabis in treating depression, PTSD, trauma, addiction, and more.

Core 4: Spaceholding & Navigating the Psychedelic Experience
Learn the art of skillfully preparing and guiding a psychedelic journey by mastering the elements of set and setting, music, trauma-informed approaches, breathwork and bodywork, mystical experiences, and spiritual emergence.

Core 5: Psychedelic Integration & Therapy
Expand your understanding of integration and make space for transformation to unfold through complementary approaches like Jungian archetypes, somatics and embodiment, transpersonal psychology, Internal Family Systems, and more.

Summer & winter breaks: Experiential retreat and electives
Personalize your journey through the course by studying the elective modules that inspire you, attending one of the four in-person retreats offered by our team, and deepening your journey at an experiential retreat of your choice.

Final project and Certification
To graduate, you will be required to create and present a personal project that showcases how your learning resonates through your personal, professional and/or spiritual future.

Align with your life’s mission

There are very few people who have been actively involved in the psychedelic space for as long as Kyle Buller and Joe Moore. For over 15 years, Kyle and Joe have been at the forefront of psychedelic education. Alongside their personal and professional experience with psychedelics, Holotropic Breathwork, transpersonal psychology, trauma, and mental health, they have educated over 8,600 students and 400 clinicians and wellness professionals into the art and science of psychedelic practice as co-founders of Psychedelics Today.This certificate program is born out of their vast experience guiding, teaching, and leading the conversation on psychedelic therapy, as well as their mission to empower the future leaders of the psychedelic movement.

Step into your role in the paradigm shift
This certificate program is for medical professionals, psychotherapists, coaches, nurses, and complementary health practitioners who are called to incorporate psychedelics safely and ethically into their existing practice, and to become part of a global community of leaders. Inspired by the classical five elements, this program will take you on a profound journey towards wholeness. You will undergo a personal and professional transformation by exploring shamanic practices, medical, clinical, somatic and trauma approaches, breathwork, and spirituality. In order to graduate, you need to attend all five core modules, take part in the experiential retreats, and complete a final certification project. At the end you will receive a Certificate in Psychedelic Therapies and Integration and 68+ CEs*.

*CE credits pending approval.

Register now to find out when applications open.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
rat-brain-empathy-neurosciencenews-public.jpg

Best Practices for Tripsitters

Maps of the Mind | 27 Feb 2021

As psychedelics continue to gain popularity, there are more and more people beginning to offer their services as a tripsitter. At this point in history we are in a transitional phase where lots of people are using psychedelics, but there aren’t really any established structures and training programmes around to support safe use.

As it stands, fully licensed, legally practising trip sitters are extremely rare. Outside of clinical research, on the whole, psychedelics are still illegal in most parts of the world. In the few cases where they are legal, there are no licences or recognised authorities to hand out qualifications in the country.

This means that almost anyone working as a tripsitter is unlicensed, and if they are not operating in a country or state where it is legal, underground. I have previously worked underground, and now fall into the category of an unlicensed tripsitter, though my tripsitting work takes place in the Netherlands, so it is legal. There are many people working in this same category of unlicensed but legal, and organisations like The Guild Of Guides are working to take care of this area. However, they will still not cover underground guides.

Underground Guides

I know there are people currently practising underground who probably will continue to do so for a good few years to come. I have made my share of mistakes on my learning curve as a guide and I would like to share what I’ve found to be best practices. This article will cover some practices that I think all practising tripsitters should follow, but I especially hope that they will be of use to underground sitters. I believe this area of practice to be a larger cause for concern at this point in time due to the inherent isolation and secrecy of their work, which tends to result in a lack of accountability and open channels for feedback and critique.

5fb03402d183e47cd087cf49_Olivia.jpg

Acquire knowledge & experience

The first thing is to learn, and gain both knowledge and experience, on two levels: firstly, personal experience, secondly, as a tripsitter.
Knowledge may come through reading books, taking courses, or finding a coach. Be studious. Do your research. Personal experience may come in many forms: organising sessions with friends, going on a retreat, working with a professional facilitator or psychedelic coach.

This is really about developing your own practice and learning about how to use psychedelics through first hand experience. Imagine you were seeking a ski instructor, if they didn’t have any knowledge and experience of skiing themselves, would you want them as your guide?

When it comes to tripsitting, again seek knowledge where you can. Read books (see recommendations at the bottom of this post) and become well versed in practices in different traditions and cultures of using psychedelics. You then might start by facilitating sessions for friends and family members. After that, you might volunteer at a retreat centre.

The path I have followed has been along these lines. I had my own journeys, and began reading books on the topic, whilst slowly incorporating what I was reading into my practice.

Along the way I organised sessions with friends, which developed into tripsitting people close to me, before reaching out and working at Myco Meditations in Jamaica. I first went there as a volunteer, eager to gain experience, and in due course I was offered a paid position. I continued to organise sessions with friends, and this expanded to tripsitting people in my community, before I decided to set up New Moon Psychedelic Retreats and took on a role as a lead facilitator. This dual approach of seeking knowledge and experience, exploring and experimenting, and steadily evolving my practice is the approach that I still use to this day. Most recently, pre-corona, I worked as a tripsitter on a Truffles Therapy retreat in late 2019, and in 2020 I underwent a course of psilocybin therapy as part of a replica of a study at Johns Hopkins.

Screening

A basic level of screening is the first step to sitting someone. Information that you should gather before moving forward includes:​
  • personal past or present mental health conditions (including depression, anxiety, psychosis, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, behavioural addictions, eating disorders and PTSD)​
  • personal or family history of schizophrenia, psychosis, bipolar disorder, or any other psychotic disorder.​
  • current medications​
  • the person’s history and experience with psychedelics and other psychoactive drugs.​
Personal and family histories of mental health issues should be carefully considered when deciding who to tripsit for. Those with psychotic disorders are at an increased risk of a psychotic break triggered by psychedelics so do your research on this. In terms of medication, one must make sure there are no contraindications between their medication and the substance that the journeyer will be taking. Understanding a person’s personal history with substances will help to assess their readiness and calibrate dosage.

605.jpg

Recommendations for Best Practices

When it comes to deciding who you will tripsit for and who you won’t, it is important to understand the limits of your training, experience and knowledge. For example, if you are not a medical professional, do not recommend someone to taper off their medication. They should consult with the doctor about this and make their plans clear. Acknowledge your limitations and refer out as appropriate.

If you are truly passionate about your path as a facilitator, then you should consider what knowledge, experience and qualifications you need to move forward and be able to competently tripsit for those people you want to, but aren’t yet fully equipped to do so. Professional qualifications are emerging fast within the psychedelic space, so there are plenty of opportunities for learning and improving your skills.

Until then, don’t accept dubious cases. If you aren’t sure, err on the side of caution. If you want to help that person move forward on their path, you can recommend them to work towards a state of readiness in the meantime. This could be directing them towards trying breathwork, attending a meditation retreat or course of meditation, partaking in a vision quest, or attending some other kind of spiritual or wellness retreat. Otherwise, you might refer them on to a more experienced practitioner.

Following are the three pillars for clinicians in the field, and due to the psychologically dismantling effects of psychedelics and the sensitivity of the human mind in these states, are just as important in informal practice.

Consent

The journeyer must understand and know that anything that happens within the session will be 100% consensual. This creates a safe space and enables them to engage more fully with the experience. Conversations and agreements about what happens in the session, the type and level of interaction between the sitter and tripper should be covered in the preparation stage.

Confidentiality

Confidentiality is important to create a safe space for the session. Allowing the person to feel safe will mean that they are more able to let go during the experience and allow whatever needs to come up to come up. This is then going to enable them to have a more beneficial experience.

This is something that is very easy to forget as an amateur practitioner. For this reason, it is very important to state to the person you are tripsitting that everything that they tell you and what happens within the session, as well as the preparation and follow up meetings, remains strictly confidential. Do not make exceptions to this rule. This should be stated explicitly at the first preparation meeting. Such a clear declaration will help to reinforce this to yourself too.

Even with friends or more casual acquaintances, I think confidentiality is an important principle to follow, and is a basic sign of respect for those you are serving.

Follow Up

Because of the potential of psychedelics to dismantle psychological boundaries, they can be destabilizing and also increase the emotional sensitivity of participants in the days and weeks, and potentially even months afterwards. For this reason, checking in with people after their experience is important. Some people may require extra support, and again, may need referring to specialists in some cases. The MAPS list and psychedelic.support are two options for finding an integration provider.

If the person is a healthy functioning individual, the need for personalised follow-up may be reduced by making sure that the person has sufficient support in the event of some kind of emerging personal crisis. This should also be checked in the preparation phase. A useful question to ask someone is: if you had an emergency who would you go to help for? If you had to show up on someone’s doorstep in the middle of the night, who would that be?

A check should also be made about which other people know the person is undertaking the psychedelic trip. If you are the only person who knows, then it’s very possible that you are the only person that they feel comfortable speaking to about their experience and what is coming up afterwards. Ideally, they should already have a therapist, friends or community of people that know what they are doing. A psychedelic-friendly therapist is a great person for them to speak to and have the designated time and space to talk about and process their experience. Where this is not the case, an assessment should be made as to how much useful support they will be able to receive from their own network. With this in mind, you should consider what you will provide yourself.

Final thoughts

When sitting for others the focus should be on care. This comes naturally when sitting for close friends or family members. It is essential, however, to maintain the same attitude if deciding to move into paid work. For this reason, I would recommend you to develop your practice slowly by moving outwards from self, to family, friends, community, and finally, paying journeyers.

If deciding to pursue tripsitting as a professional vocation, one should avoid the tension between the legitimate need to earn a living, and the duty of care. For more on this see the talk linked at the end of the article.

For me it comes back to respecting the substances for the power that they hold. I believe a patient and grounded approach is the wisest course of action when it comes to working with psychedelics, both as a practitioner and a tripsitter. Move forward with caution and care.

Recommended Books For the Aspiring Tripsitter:
Psychedelic Psychotherapy – R. Coleman | Goodreads
The Secret Chief Revealed – Myron Stolaroff | Goodreads
The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide – Jim Fadiman | Goodreads

Recommended Talk:
Charging Money For Ceremony – Jerónimo Mazarrasa | Beyond Psychedelics 2018

*From the article here :

Last edited:
news-ciis.jpg

How to Become a Psychedelic Therapist

With increasing research into psychedelics, therapists want to learn more.

by Jessica Schrader | Psychology Today | 1 Nov 2020

News of the renaissance of psychedelic-assisted therapies seems to be everywhere. From Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes and Michael Pollan’s bestselling 2018 book, How to Change Your Mind, to the proliferation of online webinars, it seems like everyone in the psychotherapy profession is interested in becoming a psychedelic therapist.

Before we delve into this question of becoming a psychedelic therapist, it’s important to acknowledge that, while the studies of psilocybin for depression and MDMA to assist the treatment of PTSD continue to do very well in clinical trials, they are still not yet FDA approved treatments, and remain Schedule I drugs, which means they are illegal to possess or use outside of these studies. It also means that there is no guarantee that the drugs will get FDA approval, though it is looking increasingly likely that they will become available in the next two to five years.

With this promising treatment on the horizon and growing interest among mental health professionals, it is not surprising that an increasing number of educational providers are creating programs offering “psychedelic therapist training.” I am a graduate of one of these programs, the California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) Center for Psychedelic Therapy and Research (2017), and have been fortunate to put my training to work as a therapist on the Phase 3 MAPS sponsored MDMA assisted therapy for PTSD study and will soon begin working on the Phase 2 Usona sponsored psilocybin facilitated therapy for depression study. Some of my classmates have begun ketamine clinics or conducted research in this field, but it’s worth noting that most of my classmates have not begun to provide this therapy in practice and continue to provide conventional psychotherapy or medical treatments of mental illness while we wait for the clinical trials to complete.

An important caveat is needed here: All of the proliferating programs offering training in psychedelic therapy must speculate on what the FDA will require to provide this therapy. Ultimately, the FDA, as part of a REMS (risk evaluation and mitigation strategy) program that will be part of any approval of these medicines will likely require a licensed therapist or medical professional to provide this therapy. Some of these terms, such as it always being a supervised therapy and not a take-home treatment, are easy to predict. Others, such as the qualifications that will be needed to be a psychedelic therapist, remain a work very much in progress.

It is clear that whatever form psychedelic therapy takes, it will only be allowed to be provided by licensed professionals. However, the license that will be required is, as of now, unclear. It is possible that the FDA will only allow a medical doctor or a clinical psychologist to provide this treatment, though the sponsors of the studies are arguing that other providers such as nurses, marriage family therapists, and even clergy could be trained and equally skilled to provide this therapy. Another unclear area is if additional training in psychedelic therapy will be required to provide this treatment, and if so, what that training will be. Given the cost of these programs, the tuition is a somewhat speculative investment in one’s future employment prospects.

That is where these burgeoning training programs enter the picture. While many of them are being offered and taught by pioneers in the field, they are inherently speculating regarding whether their curricula will fulfill the future FDA requirements to deliver these treatments. In this heady time, we are building the plane as we are flying it. It’s with that caveat that I will discuss a handful of these programs (this is not a comprehensive list and will likely soon become even larger as additional programs emerge).

The program I attended, the CIIS Center for Psychedelic Therapies and Research is one of the oldest programs and arguably the progenitor of more recent programs. The CIIS program admitted its first class in 2016 and has now trained over 300 professionals. Directed by Janis Phelps, Ph.D., this program brings together some of the primary researchers in the field from places such as Johns Hopkins, NYU, MAPS, Usona Institute, and Imperial College, London to teach students about psychedelic therapy—as a psychedelics geek, it felt like what it would have been like to be studying humanistic psychology in the 1950s and having Abraham Maslow and Carl Rogers as your professors. This postgraduate program admits licensed professionals and ordained clergy into an eight-month (March-November) program leading to a certificate. It recently divided into a San Francisco cohort and a Boston cohort which will increase their training from 80 professionals to 200. The Boston location also allows for collaboration with the Boston Psychedelic Research Group and the new Center for the Neuroscience of Psychedelics at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Fluence offers a 120-hour certificate in psychedelic integration therapy (this is therapy provided to a client who has already had a psychedelic journey and is trying to integrate what was realized or learned from the experience into their daily lives), that like CIIS, is restricted to licensed therapists. Fluence was founded by several veterans of MDMA-assisted therapy studies and by a co-principal investigator of the landmark Psilocybin Cancer Anxiety study at NYU.

MAPS, which is the sponsor of MDMA assisted psychotherapy studies for PTSD, has formed MAPS Public Benefit Corporation as a wholly-owned subsidiary to shepherd MDMA through FDA approval and offer training to therapists who are interested in providing this treatment. Other study sponsors, such as Usona Institute and Compass Pathways (studying psilocybin facilitated therapy for depression) have therapist training programs for clinicians working in their studies and may extend these training opportunities to others in the future.

It is important to note that a significant challenge of these educational programs is the inability to provide students with a direct experience of either providing the therapy (as research studies typically do not have the ability to host observers and students) or receiving the therapeutic drugs themselves (because of controlled substance restriction). Many programs use holotropic breathwork as an experiential means of allowing students to experience a non-ordinary state without a drug. A notable exception to this is Synthesis Institute, a psilocybin retreat center in Holland (where psilocybin truffles are legal) that will be launching a practitioner training program in 2021, with an optional psilocybin retreat as part of the training.

For those therapists who are not yet ready to undertake a formal training program, it is advised that you become familiar with this emerging treatment through reading (this book by Francoise Bourzat and this by Bill Richards are good places to start). This podcast interview from MAPS therapist Marcela Ot’alora G is especially good) and attending the briefer conferences that are increasingly on offer. Additionally, learning to work with non-ordinary states of consciousness through programs such as Hakomi, Somatic Experiencing, or the aforementioned holotropic breathwork, are useful modalities for future psychedelic therapists.

As mentioned, this is far from a comprehensive list of resources. The professional organization I helped to found, the Organization for Psychedelic and Entheogenic Nurses maintains a growing list of these programs on our webpage and I have discussed other ways of getting experience with psychedelic states here.

Regardless of how the psychedelic training bonanza shakes out, this is an exciting time to be in the field, as we watch the dawn of a new era, with the attendant hope that it brings, breaks across the landscape of our profession. Those who are motivated to learn how to better help our patients can only find reward in this exciting new field.
To find a therapist, please visit the Psychology Today Therapy Directory.

Last edited:
C47f8_tUoAADCNg.jpg

MAPS' MDMA Therapy Training Program

MAPS' MDMA Therapy Training Program seeks to train at least 300 therapists before 2021, when we anticipate completing Phase 3 clinical trials investigating MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for chronic, treatment-resistant posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD is currently under FDA review, with protocol approval pending. After obtaining FDA approval, the protocol will be submitted for Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and Independent Review Board (IRB) approvals.

The basic requirements of a qualified site include: 1) Treatment Facility conducive to MDMA-assisted psychotherapy, 2) Therapy Team qualified and able to complete required training, made up of at least two therapy providers, and 3) Prescribing Physician who can obtain a DEA Schedule 1 license for MDMA.

Only sites in the US and US territories may participate in a US FDA Expanded Access program. Over the coming years, as Phase 2 and 3 trials in Europe progress and additional protocols are developed and approved internationally, the MDMA Therapy Training Program plans to offer more training opportunities internationally.

Please sign up to receive updates via the MDMA Therapy Training Email Newsletter.

About the FDA's Expanded Access Program

Expanded Access is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) program. "Expanded access, sometimes called 'compassionate use,' is the use outside of a clinical trial of an investigational medical product (i.e., one that has not been approved by FDA)."

The FDA must determine if patients to be treated in Expanded Access have a serious or immediately life-threatening disease or condition. The Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR Part 312.300) details how expanded access can be granted and what steps the FDA needs to follow.

The FDA must also determine that:

- There is no comparable or satisfactory alternative therapy to diagnose, monitor, or treat the disease or condition.
- The patient cannot obtain the drug under another IND or protocol.
- The potential patient benefit justifies the potential risks of the treatment use and those potential risks are not unreasonable in the context of the disease or condition to be treated.
- Providing the investigational drug will not interfere with the initiation, conduct, or completion of clinical investigations that could support marketing approval of the expanded access use or otherwise compromise the potential development of the expanded access use.

MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD: Expanded Access Applicant requirements

Sites may apply with MAPS PBC to assess eligibility and obtain the required training to administer MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD under an approved protocol.

Applicants are required to have:

- Treatment Facility conducive to MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
- Therapy Team, qualified and able to complete MDMA Therapy Training Program
- Prescribing Physician who can obtain a DEA Schedule I license for MDMA

Details on these requirements as well as instructions to apply are outlined below. Only applicants affiliated with a qualifying site can be considered for training at this time.

Please read the Treatment Manual for a full description of the MDMA-assisted psychotherapy modality. Sites and therapy providers inquiring to work on an MDMA PTSD protocol should be familiar and comfortable with the Treatment Manual before submitting an application. A full course of treatment involves three 90-minute Preparatory therapy sessions, three total 8-hour MDMA therapy sessions, and nine total 90-minute Integrative therapy sessions, summing about 42 hours of therapy. There may be additional visits for screening, follow-up, phone contact, and in case of emergency. The MDMA PTSD Expanded Access protocol may allow the option to deliver fewer than three MDMA therapy sessions, as determined by clinical judgment and the needs of the patient. All sessions are administered by a Therapy Pair, two providers for every one participant/patient, utilizing a non-directive approach and an ability to work with extreme states.

Applicants wishing to provide MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD under a MAPS Expanded Access protocol must meet the criteria listed below. There may be additional requirements beyond those listed. Application instructions can be found further in this document.​

Last edited:
2B25EC4700000578-3370542-image-a-22_1450800312717.jpg

Psychedelic Therapy Career Guidance

by Adam Miezio | Psychedelic.Support | 5 Apr 2021

Considering a vocational change and looking for psychedelic therapy career guidance? You found the right place to start. Congratulations on finding your way here, as you have already passed the first obstacle. More hurdles await you on your journey, should you choose to move forward.

For a number of reasons which will be discussed later, the field of psychedelic therapy proves to be a chaotic one at this time. The field is also changing and shifting in a rapid manner. Simplify your path along the road of psychedelic therapy training. Become familiar with the macro issues facing the field as it matures into a socially accepted and mainstream form of medical practice. As you navigate these core issues, you will reach a fuller understanding if you want to become a psychedelic therapist.

Psychedelic therapy career guidance: 4 main issues

There are 4 broad areas that steer the field of psychedelic therapy at this time. These include: novelty, experiential knowledge/wisdom/skills, lack of universal certification, and vocational risks. Due to these forces influencing the field, you may find that becoming a psychedelic therapist is not as straightforward as you would like. Conversely, you may find that entering the field is easier than assumed.

This oxymoronic aspect of the current state of psychedelic therapy indicates its embryonic stage of growth and uncertain path. Regardless of your initial intuition regarding your qualifications one way or another, push forward with your learning. The end result may surprise you. Oftentimes, something novel surprises you, which the field of psychedelic therapy is sure to do. Here are the vital considerations of psychedelic therapy career guidance.

Novelty

Psychedelic therapy is a novel field. Along with this aspect comes a host of nuances, complexities, challenges and opportunities. Thankfully, the field isn’t entirely coming out of the dark unknown.

President Richard Nixon put psychedelic plants and medicines under Schedule I status in 1970. Thus defining them as having “no currently accepted medical use.” Their illegality went into effect the following year, in 1971. Events culminating in the late 1960s helped Nixon cast out psychedelics from pop culture. The Nixon administration’s psychedelic stigmatization paved the way for this landmark legislation. However, this unfortunate policy redirection put a grinding halt to research efforts, consequently criminalizing all psychedelics.

Prior to this legal sea change, psychedelic research benefited thanks to thousands of studies throughout the 1950s and the 1960s. The huge setback of “Schedule I” classification sealed the field’s fate for many years to come. As a result, the classification plunged the field into its version of the dark ages for decades. At the same time, the status quo began demonizing psychedelics.

50 years later

Now, 50 years later, the dark age has passed and the field enters the light again. Psychedelic plants and medicines are resurfacing in the mainstream with a second lease on life. Fortunately this time around, the psychedelic second act comes with a much more mature and nuanced framing. This retooled approach owes to the psychedelic “old guard” maintaining perseverance and perspective in its research and studies.

Think of key figures like Rick Doblin at MAPS and Roland Griffiths at Johns Hopkins. Thanks to them and other psychedelic pioneers, their elder wisdom inspired a new generation of researchers, scientists and scholars. This new generation provides a more mature, and well-rounded framing. Think Robin Carhart-Harris at Imperial College London and Matthew Johnson at Johns Hopkins. Psychedelic plants and medicines have been on a distinct journey in the United States. Psychedelics have gone from unknown, to novel/thrilling, to banished, and are now back again…legally! This creates its own unique issues.

Let’s take a look at the 3 main, unique issues stemming from the novelty facing psychedelic therapy.

Western dogma

How long ago did Nietzsche proclaim “god is dead?” Religion has been on the decline for a long time, increasingly more so in the United States. What has replaced it? A dogmatic grip on science and the rational mind.

As a result, the connection to spirit has been lost. There is no space in Western culture and society for experiencing, understanding or integrating the mystical and the sublime. Anything that isn’t empirical, can’t be measured, weighed, felt, seen, heard, smelled, etc., is offered no room for consideration. Psychedelic therapy flies directly into this headwind. The practice obliges practitioners and patients alike to radically adjust their ontological and epistemological perspectives.

Psychedelics have a tried and true ability to elicit home truths*. Home truths often challenge (sometimes even obliterate) the narrow, mainstream, Western lens of reality. If minds aren’t initially set up to handle this, neither are medical systems or communities. For thousands of years, indigenous cultures have embraced the intangible mysticism behind psychedelics with ease. Only now is the West just getting around to this idea (Or finally returning to it if you consider the Mysteries of Eleusis). In turn, this leads to a critical gap in providing quality care.
*Home truth (n): an unpleasant fact that jars the sensibilities

No infrastructure

The United States and other western countries lack the infrastructure to efficiently and safely implement a whole new system of therapeutic remedies and/or mental healthcare. This is a twofold problem. Safe, healthy use of psychedelics requires a complete community which must be built from the bottom up.

The first problem is the obvious lack of psychedelic therapists and healthcare system infrastructure. Besides the need for therapists, psychedelic therapy requires consciously designed clinics. It does not need sterile, stark white hospital rooms and mental health wards. The much needed shift is already underway. Care is shifting towards alternative forms, as well as holistic health offered in healing positive contexts. Examples include greater consideration of a patient’s mental and spiritual health. Hospice care is one such example. Hospice now embraces the ancient Eastern, healing practice known as reiki. Moreover, hospice offers reiki in the comfort of your own home.

The care we provide is changing. So the context in which care is provided must shift as well. Psychedelic therapy is no different. A new methodology has to not only include the new art, but the gallery to display it in too. At this time, our healthcare system lacks the necessary setting and venues for psychedelic therapy. This requires time to build.

Think about other revolutionary advances in science and medicine. How long did it take to upskill and implement the microscope upon invention? What about the discovery of antibiotics?

No community support networks

The second problem is no existing community support networks. Among indigenous cultures who have used psychedelic plant medicines for thousands of years, social networks exist to manage psychedelic experiences; shamans, rituals and myths for example. The western world lacks this social infrastructure for the most part, save for a few pockets found on the fringes of society. Psychedelic therapy isn’t solely a health care system issue.

For proper implementation into our culture, psychedelic therapy obliges us to implement deeper community bonds and ties. Think family, friends, religious/spiritual leaders, counselors, etc. Personal experiences with psychedelics are crucial to building proper infrastructure, yet are lacking due to gross demonization and being taboo. Furthermore, many psychedelics are still illegal in most of the United States prohibiting and inhibiting enculturation.

Taboo

The western world has been conditioned and taught to treat psychedelics as taboo, thus rejecting their social acceptance by and large. Now, with a sudden burst of great energy and scope, psychedelics have re-emerged and demand respect as legitimate tools to address a host of mental health issues.

This 180 degree turn won’t be easy for society to integrate. How do people go from rejecting psychedelics as the bane of humanity to embracing them as vital, mental health tools in a flash? How do previous generations of therapists, doctors, scientists and institutions suddenly change their perspective? Moreover, how many medical professionals have firsthand, personal experiences with psychedelics?

This society level shift from taboo to social acceptance will be psychedelic* in and of itself. How do we undo decades worth of propaganda convincing us that psychedelics would fry our brains like eggs? This leads to the second macro issue influencing psychedelic therapy.
*Psychedelic (adj): mind manifesting

Experiential knowledge, wisdom and skills

Like any other sound advice, psychedelic therapy career guidance includes having both a quality skillset and background. Proper qualifications for a psychedelic therapist comprise 2 components – firsthand experience with non-ordinary states of consciousness and clinical skills. The great majority of prospective therapists at this time lack their own psychedelic experiences.

Due to the vast spectrum of subjective experiences that psychedelics enable, having your own knowledge and wisdom of the power and potential of psychedelics is crucial. How can you become a journeyman if not first an apprentice?

Consider teaching English as a foreign language. During teacher training you’re required to learn and speak a foreign language. This allows you to empathize with future students and teach with greater efficacy. This is no less crucial for psychedelic therapists to-be.

Let’s return to the previous point above about western dogma. What if a therapist to-be hasn’t at least once experienced the mind manifesting and soul revealing effects of psychedelics? How can you properly treat your patients?

This experiential component of psychedelics almost overshadows the required clinical skill set, although no less important. Who thought that the best psychedelic therapy career guidance would tell you to experience psychedelics firsthand?

A properly qualified psychedelic therapist will still need the basic skill sets and training of psychotherapy and/or psychiatry. Or will they? This leads to the third main issue of psychedelic therapy career guidance.​

No universal certification

At this time, there is no universally accepted certification for psychedelic therapy. Due to the field’s novelty, no governing body or agency has assumed oversight of the field. This lack of oversight gives it a bit of a Wild West feeling. The moment is similar to when the internet arrived and threw a gigantic, wide open and unregulated landscape in front of us.

Any number of organizations currently offer their own certifications at the moment. However, it’s unknown how these will stand the test of time should a legislative, governing body begin to oversee the industry. Many questions already abound surrounding this issue. There is a primary one. Does a psychedelic therapist have to be a previously licensed and/or qualified therapist?

For example, there’s a question about clergy or chaplains being able to administer psychedelic therapy. Are they qualified to do so? Perhaps a shaman in your community conducts plant medicine ceremonies. Does the shaman need to be certified? Then there’s the question of therapist vs. “sitter.”

What is a sitter?

A therapist will help the patient heal their mental health issues with clinical techniques and strategies, followed up with integration sessions. In contrast, a sitter is one who holds space for the psychedelic journeyer to primarily keep them safe and nothing more. In many circumstances, having 2 people (preferably 1 of each type) present during a healing session is recommended.

Right now any training or certification(s) obviously can’t hurt to become a psychedelic therapist. Above all, even before acquiring any training or certification, gaining a foundational understanding of psychedelics is essential. Knowing the “who, what, when, where, why and how” of psychedelic medicines lays the groundwork for future training. Learning everything from how psychedelic substances work to current research findings, takes the crucial first step for therapists working with clients for psychedelic integration and harm reduction.

However, don’t be surprised if further requirements and certifications are needed in the future. Alternatively, don’t be shocked if certifications earned now are determined null and void by a governing body down the road. This is a vocational risk you take, along with others. The best psychedelic therapy career guidance doesn’t hide the inherent risks.

Vocational risks

As just noted above, there are some vocational risks involved with becoming a psychedelic therapist. You may need further certifications in the future. At minimum, in regards to the rapid growth in a novel field, keeping a finger to the pulse of all the latest news, trends and education will be key. The body of psychedelic research will continue expanding and clinical practice guidelines will be constantly evolving. The more knowledge of these is kept current the better. Certifications will only be one tool in the toolbox. Even then, that tool could end up useless.

Certifications you’ve already earned may become redundant. Also there’s a maze of liability issues to navigate, as well as in-session protocols that need to be hashed out. Beyond that, psychedelic therapy could require transitioning from a solo practice to needing a physician to prescribe and oversee a program and/or medicine. Additionally, co-therapy teams, all-day session spaces, and more patient contact hours may be needed. The strain that these factors could place on a business model must be considered.

These are on the personal, individual level though. What about the field of psychedelic therapy at-large?

The psychedelic therapy field has 2 risks

There are 2 main risks that loom large for the practice – the rush to legalize psychedelics and the lack of therapists. The building momentum of legalizing psychedelics risks the application and usage of them outrunning the knowledge and science behind them. This would ultimately be an unfortunate return to the same mistake of psychedelic prohibition in 1971.

There’s great enthusiasm behind psychedelics deriving from their novelty to a new generation, as well as their promising and potent ability to treat trauma and mental health issues. However, this energy, enthusiasm and goodwill could be squandered if the floodgates are thrown open and the reigns of conscious, clinical use are tossed aside. In turn, this feeds into the final issue of not having enough qualified therapists at the moment.

Ravenous demand

The total number of certified psychedelic therapists right now is in the hundreds. Thousands, if not tens of thousands, will be needed to address the mental health crisis facing us. This ravenous demand feeds back into the previously discussed issue of psychedelic therapy training and certification, and could create a circular problem.

How does the system upskill sufficient qualified therapists if the system isn’t set up yet? Who will supervise new psychedelic therapists considering the field’s lack of experience? How will therapists keep up with the immense volume of research on novel, psychedelic drugs heading to market? For example, did you know there’s a psychedelic drug development tracker?

At the same time, considering how dire the mental health crisis is, how long can we wait to set up the system and facilities? This presents a tricky issue indeed. If the rush to legalize is added in, then the demand for qualified, certified therapists becomes even greater.

What’s your comfort level?

Considering the issues at hand facing psychedelic therapy, one must assess their own comfort level moving forward if this career path is chosen. Each person will have their own unique factor that creates the most hesitation or anxiety. Not everyone will be cut out for a novel field that’s growing, maturing and evolving as fast as the numbers of people seeking its services. Questions, doubts and uncertainties abound.

Nevertheless, there’s one thing that overcomes all of the unknowns – compassion. Considering the breadth and depth of the impact that psychedelic therapy holds for the United States, has there ever been a greater time in our history to recognize the suffering of others and then take action to help?

Join the transformation

A grand opportunity stands before the United States to improve and heal the human condition. We can elevate the standards of care for our fellow men and women, setting a course for wealth in health the likes of which has never been seen. Once pain and suffering are mitigated, we’ll possess the collective courage to face and deal with our trials and tribulations. We can unleash harmony and prosperity to every boundary of our social fabric. We can define a new America, directed by kindness, compassion and love.

If this is a future you’d like to entertain, then cast any hesitation, concerns and doubts aside, and join the transformation. Hopefully, this psychedelic therapy career guidance persuades you to take the next step.

Think you’ve got what it takes to become a psychedelic therapist despite the risks?

iu

How to start a career in the field of Psychedelic Integration

by Liz Zhou | The Third Wave | 30 Mar 2022

With the recent legalization of psilocybin-assisted therapy in Oregon, and the move to decriminalize certain psychedelics in Washington D.C. and elsewhere, the door is opening to therapists and coaches interested in providing psychedelic integration support.

Beginning in 2023 at the earliest, individuals over the age of 21 will be able to receive legal psilocybin therapy sessions at licensed facilities in Oregon. Mental health practitioners will be required to undergo an intensive training program, the criteria of which will be determined by the Oregon Health Authority. As psychedelic medicines become more accepted and widespread—in Oregon and beyond—this increased access to psychedelic experiences must be met by high-quality integration support.

Integration specialists provide a safe space for people to process their experiences with consciousness-altering medicines, such as psilocybin, MDMA, ketamine, ayahuasca, and more. In other words, they offer a “soft landing” in the aftermath of an intense psychedelic journey. Online platforms like Mindleap make it possible for integration specialists to connect with people seeking their support. Mental health practitioners who list their services through this platform can reach a broad audience of potential clients.

While the psychedelic experience itself may last anywhere between a few minutes to several hours, the integration process spans the days, weeks, months, and even years afterward. Integration is the hard work of translating altered states of consciousness into long-lasting traits. For those who feel called to support others in their process, there are a couple of different paths toward becoming a psychedelic integration specialist.​

BECOME A THERAPIST

One way to support others is to become a therapist. This profession requires a master’s degree in psychotherapy or mental health counseling. Upon completing a graduate school program—which includes both an academic component and supervised clinical experience—and fulfilling a certain number of post-graduate training hours, you can apply for a license as a certified therapist or counselor. The exact requirements for professional licensure vary from state to state, so it’s important to consider which state you would like to practice in if you pursue this path.

There are hundreds of master’s degree programs for counseling across the United States, each with its own academic niche and philosophy of care. Certain programs are particularly well-suited for aspiring psychedelic therapists. For instance, the field of transpersonal psychology addresses the spiritual well-being of the individual (in addition to mental, emotional, and physical health), and acknowledges the role of mystical and transcendent experiences in transforming human consciousness.

The language of transpersonal psychology (e.g., spirit, soul, ego, etc.) tends to resonate with the modern-day psychedelic community, as it provides a framework in which non-ordinary states of consciousness can be processed in a meaningful way. One way to begin a professional career in psychedelic integration therapy is to enroll in a master’s degree program with an emphasis on transpersonal counseling, such as at the California Institute of Integral Studies, Naropa University, or Sofia University.

BECOME A COACH

Another way to serve others is to become trained as an integration coach. Coaches work in a slightly different capacity than therapists, but both types of practitioners ultimately hold space for individuals to process their experiences through a non-judgmental lens. (To learn more about the differences between coaches and therapists, check out this article.)

Coaching prerequisites are typically less costly and time-intensive than a master’s degree program for psychotherapy or counseling. Unlike therapists, who generally can only offer their services in the state/s where they hold licensure, coaches have the freedom to work across state lines and internationally—a significant benefit in the age of telehealth and virtual meet-ups.

There are several training institutes for individuals seeking to provide psychedelic integration support. For instance, Being True to You educates aspiring coaches on the effects of psychedelic medicines (including ayahuasca, iboga, and more), and shares techniques to help clients heal, grow, and achieve personal goals in the aftermath of a psychedelic journey.

Additionally, the Synthesis Institute will be offering a nine-month Psychedelic Practitioner Training program beginning in April 2021. The program will touch on “the importance and opportunity of the integration phase”, among other elements of the psychedelic experience, and train practitioners to support others in their healing process.

Other institutes that offer training and events regarding psychedelic integration include Center for Optimal Living, COMPASS Pathways, and MAPS.

As the psychedelic renaissance continues apace, new and exciting opportunities in the field continue to emerge. Those considering a career in psychedelic integration have a critical role to play in helping to shift perceptions, allay fears, and create the space to change hearts and minds.

psychpharminvesvms_01_840x475-9999x640.jpg

Psychoactive Pharmaceutical Investigation at University of Wisconsin-Madison

Get in on the Ground Floor of Leadership

The investigation of next-generation therapeutic approaches using psychedelics, entheogens, cannabinoids, and other psychoactive substances is rapidly accelerating. This dramatic expansion highlights the need for a highly trained workforce ready to address the unique challenges associated with development and deployment of these interventions. Therefore, our transdisciplinary faculty developed the first-of-its-kind, Psychoactive Pharmaceutical Investigation Master’s program at the University of Wisconsin–Madison to support those graduates who will be the future leaders of this exciting growth industry.

Study at Home, Succeed Anywhere

With a program designed from the beginning to deliver an exceptional online learning experience, modules carefully crafted by expert instructors and active psychedelic and cannabinoid researchers from top-ranked STEMM and Liberal Arts programs will be available for your benefit, wherever you learn best. With a curriculum that connects chemistry and culture; equity and ethnobotany; and phenomenology and pharmacokinetics, your Master’s degree will provide the knowledge and skills needed to succeed when working within the complex scientific, regulatory, and societal frameworks surrounding the application of psychoactive pharmaceuticals.

Distinguish yourself with an Accredited Degree

Upon graduation, you will hold a gold-standard academic credential demonstrating your mastery, and understanding of:​
  • Unique pharmacologic and physiologic considerations for CNS drug development and delivery projects​
  • Laws, regulations, and ethical principles surrounding application of psychoactive pharmaceuticals​
  • Historical pressures, current challenges, and cutting-edge discoveries that will shape the future of psychedelic and cannabinoid research​

Explore

Request More Info

Training-Programs-e1652905938965.png

Psychedelic therapy training programs expand to meet demand

by Katie Stone | LUCID | 19 May 2022

As states such as Oregon and Colorado pass measures to decriminalize psychedelic therapies and more than fifty publicly traded companies develop these treatments, the demand for therapists trained to work with psychedelics continues to grow.

MAPS Public Benefit Corporation founder Rick Doblin said in a 2021 interview with Numinus that if approved by the FDA, treating the anticipated one million people in the first ten years of MDMA-assisted therapy alone would require more than 35,000 trained therapists. Approval for legal psilocybin therapies could spark the need for an additional 15,000 trained therapists in the following year. While these projections reflect only MAPS’ perspectives, this vision offers a glimpse of the need for qualified therapists.

The approaches and methods of training therapists for psychedelic-assisted therapies are as varied as those seeking out psychedelic experiences. Some developers of psychedelic therapies focus on new compounds, while others prioritize psychotherapy techniques and integration methods. Many will need specialized therapists, creating an expansion of psychedelic therapy training programs for licensed providers and lay practitioners.

Dozens of training programs are now offered to educate psychedelic facilitators. From heavily credentialed scholars with limited psychedelic experience, to experienced clergy and underground guides with no university affiliations, psychedelic training programs are designed to fulfill very different approaches to care and wellness.

As addiction expert Dr. Gabor Maté noted in a recent webinar hosted by the ibogaine-focused treatment company Beōnd, behavioral health approaches only treat mental health symptoms, which Maté called a “shallow approach” to addiction treatment. Acknowledging the power of psychedelics to enable new neural networks, Maté points to the personal and intergenerational traumas behind addictive behavior patterns and asks, “how can a treatment program address the real issue, not just the presenting issue?”

The FDA and other organizations regulating emerging psychedelic-assisted therapies will determine appropriate qualifications for some treatment programs, coaching, and integration services. Regulation will also be influenced by the stakeholders, therapists, and clients who are shaping the future of psychedelic healthcare.

While there are too many training programs to offer a comprehensive list, some key organizations and approaches are shaping the future of psychedelic wellness and healthcare through their training of facilitators.

Training therapists for clinical trials

Some of the most prominent training programs for those providing psychedelic-assisted therapies are psychotherapy-based and developed by companies creating protocols specific to patentable drug compounds. These programs emerged to fulfill a need within the cycle of drug development and complete Phase 3 FDA trials conducted in clinical environments.

COMPASS Pathways offers a core-training with over 10 hours of self-paced online learning and five days of facilitated instruction. Cybin, a drug development company that is also testing synthetic psilocybin and related analogs, launched its therapist training program in 2022. The 70-hour training in Cybin’s psychedelic therapy model, called EMBARK, is offered at no cost to facilitators and is designed to create a pool of potential therapists who might be contracted for future clinical trials.

The EMBARK approach is a transdiagnostic treatment model that the company says is applicable beyond the psychedelic therapy settings. Developed under the direction of researchers Alex Belser and Bill Brennan, this psychedelic-assisted therapy training model has already been adapted for non-psychedelic care, specifically among frontline health workers facing Covid burnout.

In anticipation of the FDA approving MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for the treatment of PTSD, MAPS has partnered with universities that have a history of psychedelic inquiry and transpersonal psychology to train MDMA therapists for future treatment and research.

Beginning in 2016 with a partnership at the Center for Psychedelic Therapy & Research (CPTR) at the California Institute for Integral Studies (CIIS), students at CIIS can now work towards a Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies Certificate. According to the CIIS 2022 Certificate Information Packet, this curriculum helps therapists complete roughly half of the training required to conduct MAPS MDMA-assisted psychotherapy after the FDA approves the treatment.

The CIIS Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies Certificate is an 8-month course that matriculates in cohorts of 150, with learning pods of 7-9 trainees serving as a “Home Group.” Mentors also provide students with professional development and publication support. The certificate is a 150-hour program of study that has so far certified 559 trainees.

According to Wendy Campbell, the CPTR enrollment coordinator, more than 300 students are training in the current cohort. CPTR reports in the Curriculum Guide that the program received a $1 million grant from the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation this year that will support their expansion of a training site in Boston, facilitating the certification of an additional 1,125 psychedelic therapists over the next three years. While the online program is limited to licensed therapists, psychiatrists, and psychiatric nurses, the hybrid programs in Boston and San Francisco welcome commissioned clergy and chaplains for in-person courses.

MAPS PBC has also collaborated with Naropa University’s Extended Campus and the Center for Psychedelic Studies to develop their 200-hour Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies Certificate program. Like the CIIS Certificate, Naropa welcomes chaplains and licensed mental-health professionals into their psychedelic training program.

While both schools are rooted in clinical psychology, integrative spirituality, and contemplative education, Naropa’s program focuses directly on social justice and ecopsychology. Participants choose from one of six altered experiences during the course, ranging from breathwork workshops and wilderness fasting to participating in offsite ketamine clinics or international psychedelic retreats in the Netherlands and Jamaica where some psychedelics are legal.

Training for the psychedelic experience

Maté remarks in the webinar with Beōnd that he believes ibogaine providers need to have personal experience with their medicines. “Don’t assign anyone treatment until you’ve done it yourself. You have to be really trained in it; it’s not without potential harm… Do it yourself. Don’t prescribe until – at least, don’t administer,” said Maté.

This is a common emerging point of discussion as training programs navigate an ambiguous legal climate. Do facilitators and guides need to experience psychedelics before serving others? Should this be a required part of their training?

The Synthesis Institute, launched in 2021, takes the middle ground in their Psychedelic Practitioner Training. Based in the Netherlands, where legal psychedelic experiences are more easily integrated into the curriculum, applicants must have three prior psychedelic experiences or similar non-ordinary states of consciousness to apply.

When asked about the enrollment criteria, a Synthesis spokesperson remarked that the broad category of non-ordinary states was included to “support and encourage diversity amongst future psychedelic practitioners.” Citing the collective experiences of the facilitators who have supported over 800 people in legal, professionally guided retreats in the Netherlands, they noted that, “it is our opinion that the strongest candidates to facilitate others in psychedelic experiences are those who are experienced in navigating these altered states themselves.”

The Synthesis 18-month Psychedelic Practitioner Training emphasizes small group learning, connecting participants to learning “pods” of eight students, and facilitates a group psychedelic experience in the Netherlands for trainees. Open to therapists and non-licensed facilitators and practitioners, the Synthesis Institute Practitioner Training is unique in its 50-hour practicum requirement. Like CIIS, the Synthesis training program emphasizes networking with other graduates and mentors to maintain personal, and professional development.

The Psychedelic Somatic Institute (PSI) also prioritizes first-hand experience, noting on their website that psychedelic treatment must be “experienced to be truly understood… knowing the process viscerally through your own personal experience develops depth, nuance, confidence and mastery with the work.”

From this view, PSI offers a range of trainings for licensed therapists and draws extensively from somatic and trauma-informed therapies to structure their Psychedelic Somatic Interactional Psychotherapy (PSIP) model for both treatment and their training programs. PSI-trained therapists play an active and relational role during the psychedelic therapy session. “We find that non-ordinary states of consciousness require a non-ordinary state psychotherapy to make best use of what these medicines have to offer,” reads the PSI website.

The PSI Apprentice Training Model enrolls small cohorts of 3-students, while the Group Training Model welcomes larger and varying class sizes. Both models present hybrid courses, include personal experiences with either cannabis or ketamine, and require periods of post-certification supervision. Following the observation of faculty sessions, PSI’s training programs also include a series of student-trade therapy sessions designed to support students’ integration of their psychedelic experiences.

Training to provide ibogaine therapy

First-hand experience with substances is viewed as especially relevant for training programs where heightened monitoring is necessary to maintain physical safety throughout the entirety of the experience, as is the case for ibogaine-assisted therapy.

Ibogaine is a psychoactive alkaloid derived from the Tabernanthe iboga plant. Maté notes in the Beōnd webinar that ibogaine is an effective compound in “obviating” or removing symptoms of opiate withdrawal, but it can also reveal undiagnosed heart conditions in participants. This is one reason why Beōnd trains its staff for continual monitoring at its residential treatment programs in Mexico.

“Of all the psychedelics, ibogaine is the toughest to go through,” says Maté. Despite decades of underground use and scholarly research involving ibogaine therapy, ibogaine-specific training programs are rare, relying primarily on apprenticeship networks with unregulated facilitators. Some former patients like Juliana Mulligan say this approach avoids accountability for injury or malpractice. Advocates and ibogaine providers, like Mulligan’s colleague Shea Prueger, seek to build more transparent and accountable training programs by first orienting current and future psychedelic therapists to the science and ethics of ibogaine-assisted therapy.

At The Root Ibogaine Collective, providers Mulligan and Prueger have started a two-hour Intro to Ibogaine course that Prueger says, “is meant for providers and treatment staff.” The group also offers online and in-person training for new clinics and works with established clinics where they “take a look at their safety and emotional support protocols,” says Prueger. She says the introductory training may help would-be ibogaine-assisted therapists gain a better idea of the experience.

Such a perspective cannot replace the first-hand account advised by Maté. Still, it might offer a therapist insight into whether or not to train as an ibogaine provider on top of training as a psychedelic therapist. In theory, such therapists could still work within ibogaine-assisted therapy without training as a provider. Facilitators at Beōnd’s ibogaine clinics, for example, are often supported by additional staff trained in emergency services, nursing, nutrition counseling, somatic therapies, psychotherapy, and addiction treatment.

Maté also reminded participants in the webinar not to focus ibogaine therapy on opiate addiction only, observing that “addiction is not related to a substance, in essence. It can be porn, internet, gambling, shopping, eating… any behavior that a person finds temporary pleasure in or relief and therefore craves, but suffers negative consequences as a result and has an inability to stop.”

Training to address present needs

For most people seeking psychedelic-assisted therapy, accessing a clinical trial, traveling abroad, and taking extended periods away from work and family obligations, is not possible.

Accessing mental health support is difficult for people who experience mental health challenges and financial constraints. In addition to the cost, the National Alliance for Mental Health notes common barriers to care, including lack of access to appropriate providers and feelings of stigma, shame, or concerns about finding a relatable provider. Such obstacles are amplified in the current environment of quasi-legal psychedelic therapies. Still, shifting policies are opening up new discussions to help pinpoint the demand for therapists and integration coaches working outside of regulatory structures.

According to a recent self-reported market research poll commissioned by Delic Corp, 65% of Americans experiencing mental ill-health believe that psychedelic medicines should be made available. Eight-three percent replied they would be willing to seek out psychedelic alternatives if such therapies proved more effective and had fewer side effects than current prescription medications. Ketamine was the highest rated (66 percent) substance survey respondents said they might seek if it was proven more effective, with psilocybin (62 percent) and MDMA (55 percent) the only other drugs presented in the survey. The report notes that the study was commissioned by a ketamine clinic and is prone to bias as a self-reported measure.

As the only legal substance present in current psychedelic-assisted therapies, Ketamine Assisted Therapy (KAP) training follows a medical model. Instruction is available through the Ketamine Training Center, which includes a direct experience with ketamine, a dissociative and commonly used anesthetic.

Fluence offers a Postgraduate Certificate in Ketamine-assisted Psychotherapy and a Postgraduate Certificate in Psychedelic Integration Therapy. Both offer over 150-hours of training, including mentorship and some courses eligible for Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits.

The Polaris Insight Center also offers a 5-part Ketamine Assisted Therapy Training for Clinicians and is led by MAPS-trained clinicians. It provides in-person experiential KAP training retreats from introductory to advanced levels, including CE/CME units. Partnering with MAPS, Usona Institute, and the American Society of Ketamine Physicians, the Integrative Psychiatry Institute is currently accepting applications for the third cohort in its 12-month certification for Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy Providers.

Other certification and training programs are emerging from well-established media and education networks. Psychedelics Today recently launched Vital, a 180-hour, 12-month professional certificate in psychedelic therapy and integration facilitated in an online training format.

While KAP takes place in an environment where ketamine is legal and used off-label for therapy, those seeking certifications in nonclinical settings have fewer options for training. With the expansion and evolution of global psychedelic culture, the Plant Spirit School offers a faculty that includes psychedelic therapists, integration coaches, space holders, and ceremony facilitators.

According to founder, Lorna Liana, the Plant Spirit School provides practical tools for plant medicine practitioners to serve their communities with more safety, care, and inclusivity, guided by an ethos of sacred reciprocity. The 8-month hybrid program is offered online and in-person and is designed for people who participate in shamanic plant medicine ceremonies. It also provides training in psychedelic harm reduction and trauma-informed care to practitioners who came into entheogenic work through neoshamanic, lineage, and faith-based frameworks.

The future requirements for legal psychedelic therapy are uncertain. While regulators determine protocols, the emergence of a wide range of training programs is engaging a new generation of therapists to serve the needs of those seeking care in this shifting landscape.

Last edited:
MHAM-black-therapist-psychedelic-therapy.png

I’m a therapist who tried MDMA—Here’s how the experience shaped my perspective on Psychedelic Therapy

As the field evolves, we need to prioritize culturally sensitive care.

by Sara Reed, MS, LMFT | SELF | 26 May 2022

My journey to becoming a mental health therapist wasn’t an intentional one. The loss of two significant family members after I graduated college ultimately changed the course of my life. I didn’t know how to deal with my grief, so I did what I knew best—I worked it away. With a full schedule, I had little time to think or connect with the pain I was experiencing. But it was during this period that I felt a Divine pull—a spiritual calling—towards clinical training in marriage and family therapy. Despite not knowing much about mental health, I trusted and surrendered to this call. Little did I know that my work over those years was preparing me for something I didn’t even know existed at the time: psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.

After I finished my master’s program, I had the opportunity to participate in the MDMA-assisted therapy training program sponsored by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), a nonprofit and educational organization dedicated to exploring the therapeutic potential of psychedelics. MDMA-assisted therapy has the potential to effectively treat post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but MAPS recognized the need to racially diversify its clinical trial participant pool, and our research site helped to support this objective. During this five-part training program, I got the chance to participate in an optional study in which therapists could take MDMA, a synthetic drug that acts as a stimulant with hallucinogenic effects, in a one-time clinical setting. Knowing that MDMA therapy would be vastly different from any other traditional therapy I had been trained in, it was important for me to experience firsthand what I would be asking others to do.

After completing the required screening for participation, I arrived at the study site prepared for the 8.5-hour session ahead: I wore my comfiest clothes and the bracelets of my grandmother, one of my losses years prior, around my wrists. There were two therapists in the room getting ready for my journey. Soon after I was given the MDMA. With my eyeshades on and music supporting me through my experience, I laid on the cozy couch waiting for the onset effects of the drug to kick in.

About 50 minutes after ingesting the MDMA, which I took via a capsule, I said with a smile to my therapists: “I feel like I’m dying but it’s okay.”

The onset effects of MDMA can be physically and emotionally intense. For me, this intensity felt like an unmasking that was necessary for the journey—an undoing of expectations of what I wanted the experience to be and a surrender to what was happening before me, to me. As the medicine and the music carried me away, my grandmother appeared. Tears flowed down my face and joy filled my heart. It had been years since I had felt her presence like this. Seeing her in this bright, liberating light was an important part of my grieving process.

She took me to a place I knew existed but had never seen. I traveled to what felt like the essence of the universe, a space of Divinity, a place where I belonged. The vision revealed my presence within this enormous Whole—a place that had no beginning or end, where there is no distinction or separation from love. I call that place home. And for the first time in my adult life, I felt freedom. Me, a young Black woman. Free. Human.

Gradually, though, I began to feel a heaviness in my body pulling me into a very different story, a fusion of emotions welling up. My body became more sluggish with each breath. I asked my therapists, “What can I do to speed up my body? My body is slowing me down.”

A teacher once taught me that “You can’t release what you don’t feel.” For this part of my journey I was forced to feel what I had suppressed: stories I carried within my body that are connected to pain, abuse, and violence. Sitting on these stories of my direct and ancestral past revealed a history of suffering and oppression that I had to grapple with in a raw and unfiltered way. I had significantly underestimated the psychological impact of living in a racist and anti-Black society. And I wasn’t prepped on how to navigate between my personal and political worlds during this experience.

As a Black woman, I’ve learned the performance of whiteness in order to survive. Some of y’all know that narrative: I’ve got to be twice as good to get ahead or be noticed, or not be too loud or defensive, and dress in socially acceptable ways. Do you know what that narrative can do to the psyche? Denying parts of yourself to be accepted, respected, and unharmed through the “white gaze”? Living through that distortion is its own kind of suffering. Normally I self-regulate by dismissing or disconnecting from this pain—but those mental reflexes no longer worked in this session. It was like my body was speaking a language that my mind did not know how to understand. And it was difficult for me and my therapists to navigate.

“Some moments of feedback are making me more confused, angry, and frustrated,” I said to my therapists, “You all don’t understand what I’m really trying to say.”

“Maybe there is a part of you that doesn’t want to be understood,”
one of the therapists said. Silence. There is nothing more I want in life than to be understood. Malcolm X once said, “The most disrespected, unprotected, and neglected person in America is the Black woman.” I’d like to add misunderstood to that phrase too.

Although the current research exploring MDMA-assisted psychotherapy is promising, my experience revealed to me the need and importance of culturally responsible care in psychedelic-assisted therapy. And in order to provide culturally responsible care, we must integrate culturally sensitive practices within the treatment protocols, while removing oppressive practices that are rooted in colonization and white supremacy, if we are to make this treatment safe and accessible to folks from BIPOC communities. Centering a person’s culture and identity—whether that’s their customs, language, religious beliefs, or simply how they’ve experienced the world—leads to better clinical outcomes. Research supports this fact.

Cultural sensitivity is particularly critical in psychedelic-assisted therapy because participants are in emotionally vulnerable open states. This presents new and potentially increased risks for harm—like retraumatizing people who have lived through traumas—and it is our responsibility as therapists and facilitators to make the experience safe, both physically and mentally. Part of “do no harm” also includes an understanding of personal unconscious biases and not having those biases interfere with a patient’s therapeutic process.

As psychedelics become more medicalized, it’s important to normalize and destigmatize the use of these medicines for mental wellness. Without sensitivity towards these processes, this treatment will remain largely inaccessible to many folks and can result in misconceptions about these drug-assisted therapies. Psychedelics can act as a catalyst or a companion in the treatment; they are not the cure. It’s not just about what drug you use or how much of it you take—it’s about what you do with the experience that produces life-altering changes.

My experience in psychedelic therapy has undoubtedly deepened my understanding of myself and shaped my thoughts on what I’d like to see in the field. Is psychedelic therapy effective? Is it safe? What does the future look like if psychedelic therapy is accessible to those in need? These are just some of the questions experts are attempting to answer. When I envision the future of psychedelics, however, I see a space where people have the resources and protections needed to safely administer this work within their communities, not just in medicalized settings. I see a space where there is more consultation and collaboration with Indigenous people, so that we decrease the risk of misusing and abusing traditional plant medicines and harming people in the process. I envision a future in which someone like me is deeply seen in all of her complexity. A future in which she has the space to safely navigate between the worlds of her humanity and Divinity. A future where her return home is a return to herself.

Sara Reed is a licensed marriage and family therapist and the creative executive of Mind’s iHealth Solutions, a mental health technology and service company committed to changing how we talk about and treat mental illness. As a mental health futurist and former clinical researcher, Sara examines the ways culture informs how we diagnose and treat mental illness. Sara’s prior research work includes participation as a study therapist in psychedelic therapy research at Yale University and the University of Connecticut’s Health Center. Sara is a scientific advisor for Journey Colab and a current board member for the Board of Psychedelic Medicines and Therapies. This is her experience with MDMA-assisted therapy and how the journey sparked her need to advocate for culturally sensitive care in psychedelic medicine.