⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Baraka

it's excellent - i recommend it.
i've seen it a few times and it's very thought provoking. i get something different every time. i watched it one time during an intense acid trip in a london cinema - i can recommend that too.
watch it and let us know what you think?
alasdair

Originally posted by alasdairm:
it's excellent - i recommend it.
i've seen it a few times and it's very thought provoking. i get something different every time. i watched it one time during an intense acid trip in a london cinema - i can recommend that too.
watch it and let us know what you think?
alasdair

will do. What got me interested in it was hearing one of the soundtrack songs, Dead Can Dance's "host of the seraphim." Amazing song, especially the Oakenfold remix. (he enhances the introduction of the song)
And if that was what played in the film, it makrd me sooo eager to check it out.
how do i pronounce the film's title?
[ 27 February 2003: Message edited by: CuriousCub ]

Originally posted by CuriousCub:
how do i pronounce the film's title?
i believe it is: bah-rah-kah with the emphasis on the 'bah'
alasdair

Baraka is an absolutely awesome experience, if you have the chance to see this you gotta!
It brings on every emotional extreme you have, I can't recommend it enough...thanks for reminding me how much I love it!
--Raz--

I've seen BAR-AK-AR several times in various states of mind. It is very good.
There is one scene where a whole group of men do this "Kechak" danece in Bali......you can even feel the power when you watch it.
View it alone in the dark and bliss out to some beautiful images and sounds.

lol nexus.
i was waiting for someone to post that.
i saw the dvd at the local independent shop, and it piqued my interest. i'm guessing it's worth picking up then.
:)

I have not seen this, it is on my list of things to see someday.
Has anyone also seen Man With a Movie Camera? At all similar?

i've owned the video for years and reccomend it highly. but i need to get the dvd.

I own the DVD, and the picture transfer is stunning. "Host of Seraphim" is what drew me to the film, and of course I found that sequence to be terrifically powerful :)
A plea to all: see this. It's difficult to describe; just watch and soak everything in.

Originally posted by silverwheel:
I own the DVD, and the picture transfer is stunning. "Host of Seraphim" is what drew me to the film, and of course I found that sequence to be terrifically powerful :)
A plea to all: see this. It's difficult to describe; just watch and soak everything in.

how did you discover that song?

What year was this movie released? I looked for it on IMDB and there are several to choose from. Baraka (2003), La Baraka, etc...

^^ i'm curious too. anyone?
[edit] - okay, n/m. i see alasdairm has linked to the 1992 version on another thread, so that's what he must be talking about.
[ 04 March 2003: Message edited by: ice-9 ]

note for Baraka fans that Koyaanisqatsi is now - after a long delay - available on DVD. other very similar movies include Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi
of the four (well, three as i have not yet seen
Naqoyqatsi), i like Koyaanisqatsi - all shots in the movie were shot within the US. i'd echo CuriousCub's comments about the otherwordlyness of many scenes - they look like they could be on a different planet yet some are right on our doorstep.
they are all very thought provoking.
alasdair
[ 05 March 2003: Message edited by: alasdairm ]

Alrighty, picked up Baraka last night and i was not disappointed in the least. Very beautiful and very moving. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

I was on a waiting list for the "Sqatsi" series since I heard they were planning a DVD release. I nearly orgasmed when I got the dvds, they are among the most visually intense experiences you can do sober. And when high it's even better :D
I also got Baraka at the same time and liked it a lot, but the original Koyaanisqatsi is my favorite by far though.
--- G.