• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Banksy:

He's got some great work.

On this subject, my father irritates me - he is a kind of Banksy snob. He will indiscriminately like anything by Banksy but of any other artist of the same sort he will instantly dismiss it as vandalism.

Far too many people do this. People whinge & moan when a decent poster or stencil gets put up, then it's blasted off within a week. But when Banksy does it there's tons of press, petitions to save it & someone sticks a plastic sheet over it.

Hopefully more & more people will come to like the work produced by the rest of the scene.

I really don't see why people moan about him making it big & selling his work for high sums. That's what 99.99% of artists would love to be able to do.

Not to that extreme, but artistic integrity is important.

Sean Penn used to live in his trailer( albeit parked on a bunch of land he owned in Malibu) but you get the point , it was a fuckin trailor.

Banksy talks a great game, but at the end of the day i bet he goes back to his posh home and stuffs his face with cottage cheese and Prosecco ( Caviar and Krug would probably be too much)

Cottage cheese lol. More likely she up graded from Tesco lager to Red Stripe.

What is artist integrity anyway? You don't need to be "keeping it real" to have a valid opinion. Was Micheangelo any less talented because his work was commissioned by the Vatican and Royalty?

It just makes the poor feel better about their own lives if they tell themselves that having money is a sin. I hope Banksy bought herself a blinged out spay can and Armarni hoodie for stealth missions.

It just makes the poor feel better about their own lives if they tell themselves that having money is a sin. I hope Banksy bought herself a blinged out spay can and Armarni hoodie for stealth missions.

herself? banksy is female?? whaaat?

there's plenty of female writers around here like, but i suppose that's proper graf not POLITICAL ART

I just finished that Times article and whilst I agree that Banksy's art probably isn't worth hundreds of thousands of pounds, who's is? Picasso's and Van Gogh's go for many millions all the time but anyone taking a serious look at the situation knows that they're only worth so much because people are willing to pay that much. Art has long been about status, about flaunting one's wealth and about being in touch with trends and Banksy's clearly not the first artist to try and make a quick buck out of his popularity. The author of the article, Mathew Collings, thinks that the rising value of Banksy's work shows that art is falling to the 'philistines'. What a prick.

A SURFER who left his battered old van with spray paint artists at a festival was stunned when he returned and found its value could have rocketed – because the artwork had been tagged by popular guerilla artist Banksy.

South African Johan Lourens, 25, handed over £100 to a group that were spraying skateboards, shoes, clothing and other items, during the Boardmasters festival in Newquay earlier this month.

After seeing another van being sprayed, Mr Lourens, a self-employed paver, decided he would like to brighten up his own Ford Transit, which he uses for work and surfing trips. He haggled the group, called Upfest, from £200 to £100 for the job.

It was only after the group finished that he realised the top of the vehicle had been tagged by Banksy – and was told that he was a famous artist whose work is collected by the likes of Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Christina Aguilera.

Now Mr Lourens, who lives in Newquay, says the artist's alleged work is constantly being recognised and he has even had to cover the Banksy name up for fear of the van being stolen.

He said he approached the group when he was at a concert on August 8 and they asked him to bring his van to them the next afternoon.

"I saw them spraying another van and I started chatting to them about it, and said I really want to get my Transit graffitied and they said they could sort it out," he said. "They were called Upfest, the urban paint festival. They had a little stall and they were basically just spraying on T-shirts, skateboard decks and shoes.

"They asked me if I wanted anything particular on my van, and I said they could do what they want – any artist will do it better if it's something they want to do.

"So I left the van and went into town. I think it was a couple of hours. When I got back I thought the van looked pretty sick – pretty amazing. They were still busy.

"When I went back again the one guy asked me about the bonnet the whole time – whether I liked the bonnet. I asked him if he did it and he said he didn't."

When the group finished Mr Lourens said he was very happy with the look, and helped the artists pack up.

"At about 6pm I went to help them pack away their stuff and then one of my friends noticed the word Banksy and we asked the Upfest guy, who I knew as Steve, 'who is Banksy?'. They said 'look on the Internet'.

"One of my friends had heard of Banksy. Later on I found out it was quite a big deal."

Although he could not be 100 per cent sure the artist, who can sell a single work for up to £300,000, had graced his van, Mr Lourens said he was happy to believe it.

"A lot of people have come up and asked me if it was Banksy," he said.

"At the moment I say yes – it's just what I think.

"No-one else is going to put someone else's name on something like this."

He said he thinks Banksy, whose name is on the top right hand of the vehicle, above the windscreen, must have sprayed the masked figures on the front of the vehicle – with other artists doing the sides and back of the van. He added that the man that asked him if he liked the work on the bonnet may fit the mysterious artist's description.

He said: "The guy that actually asked me – I looked at photos of how Banksy looks like and he looks similar.

"He was in his mid-thirties, dark hair. He was a bit shorter then me.

"I did try and get hold of Banksy's people. I e-mailed them but I haven't heard back off them."

Mr Lourens said that he is sometimes afraid to leave the potentially valuable van.

"I really want to drive it because it cost me £100 but people tell me it could be in an art gallery.

"I don't like leaving the van alone – I stay with it most times."

An inquiry to Upfest, who arrange live painting events across the UK, did not seem to shed any further light on the story.

An e-mail from the group stated: "Unfortunately we are unable to shed any light on the so called Banksy van, to our knowledge none of the work on the van was done by Banksy."

They did confirm that there were 10 artists present in Newquay at the Boardmasters surf festival but they could not reveal the artists' real names for "various reasons", as Upfest works with many street artists and "respects their desire for anonymity".

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/new...s-Transit/article-1273399-detail/article.html

This Charles Manson one? :) (nsfw'd for massive pic)

NSFW:
Banksy_Hitchhiker_to_Anywhere_Archway_2005.jpg

Yup, just by Archway:D

I really don't see why people moan about him making it big & selling his work for high sums.

Well clearly people are going to moan about him doing this due the fact that bashing capitalism and large money making organisations are the bread and butter of his work.

I'd have no problem taking the money though if I were in his shoes as I have no moral integrity but a lot of people like to think he has.

Banksy always made me think me of a political cartoonist rather than a fine artist. I suppose that his situationist credentials or perhaps aspirations include him in the latter rather than the former group.

Does no-one else agree that Banksy isn't a "he" but a "them"? I always think of Banksy as being a team of folk, maybe not at first but certainly now.

Does no-one else agree that Banksy isn't a "he" but a "them"? I always think of Banksy as being a team of folk, maybe not at first but certainly now.
Thinking about your post i do detect a collaborative resonance in the work but would say there is an authorial voice rather than a school of banksy.

The size of some of Banksy's pieces would require more than a few helpers but that's nothing new. A lot of famous Renaissance artists had teams of understudies working on their art works.

rubens produced a vast body of vast bodies some of indifferent quality under his name and it argued about by his scholars whether he ever touched some of the work while His best work has such a stamp of deftness and certainty that it is without doubt his own, entirely. If banksy was in a different county when the stencils were made future critics will be none the wiser.

Well clearly people are going to moan about him doing this due the fact that bashing capitalism and large money making organisations are the bread and butter of his work.

I don't think he's against capitalism, just overly-powerful business. He's also been quite critical of the left in his work.

Plus we don't know how much of that money he gets, what he does with it, etc.

i think basqiat is a grafiti artist worthy of serious considration. He made a breakthrough in his work that that can make banksys look like mere sloganeering,

His work is empty. When people chucked blue shit all over his graf somebody came along to clean off the blue shit but left his vandalism behind.

Which is quite funny as early on he used to throw cans of paint on statues & artworks around Bristol.