• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Bad Reaction To Zoloft; The Same For Cipralex?

muie

Bluelighter
I was prescribed the SSRI sertraline (Zoloft) which upon taking it, was able to feel the effects almost immediately and in 2-3 days I had extremely concerning effects! For about 2 days and a half I had a massive erection with only 10-20min of my penis being normal (not erect) so I discontinued the medication & learned that the constant erection could have led to gangrene. To say the least I didn't react well to it.

Fast forward 4-5yrs later, I experienced the same problems in terms of depression and addressed this to my doctor, after informing her of the adverse reaction I had to the SSRI sertraline. She prescribed me Cipralex 10mg/day (escitalopram) and told me that it was an SNRI, but when I looked it up on the internet I saw it was a classic SSRI! What the fuck I am thinking?!

Should I expect from Cipralex (more or less) the same effects I got from Zoloft?

I have a meeting today with a psychiatrist and I haven't taken any of the Cipralex due to fear of side effects like I had when I took Zoloft! My doctor is either on the payroll of pharmaceutical companies or she has no idea about medicine. She also claimed that Cipralex would strongly potentiate any benzodiazepines I take!

I think the risk would be fairly similar. It is said escitalopram has an overall lower incidence of adverse effects but priapism is not very common with SSRI use. There are slight differences in the pharmacology of SSRIs but I doubt enough for me to not worry this could happen with any of them.