• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Bad experience on Xanax? Please help

Mda447

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

new poster here but I need to get some answers about a terrible experience I've had while on Xanax.

I had done .5mg before occasionally and it was pretty enjoyable. Recently came across a couple 2mg and decided to break one in half and take it.

The first hour was fine. Usual heavy-footedness and light-headedness. A couple friends invited me to smoke some cannabis, and everything turned bad from there.

I came back to my room and noticed I was having really severe chills throughout my body, especially in my hands and face. My hands were also shaking very violently. Additionally, my vision was very blurry and I had a heavy heartbeat. After about 2-3 hours these symptoms went away and I passed out.

For only taking 1mg, some of these side effects were very unusual and terrifying.

My question is: Do side effects like these normally occur? Did I have some type of panic attack as a response to the drug? It's been months since I'd done Xanax before this.

Please help

Last edited:
ID threads for substances you may or may not have taken are not allowed. This will be closed by a mod if that is your main purpose, sorry.

It sounds like a strange paradoxical reaction to alprazolam, but I have no idea what you might have smoked and that could be the reason for what happened. No one will be able to tell you on this forum though.

sounds like a panic or anxiety attack. very common with weed, not very common with xanax but sometimes paradoxical reactions can occur. Personally though, I would chalk that experience up to the weed. This hasnt ever happened to you when youve taken xanax without weed, right?

sounds like a panic or anxiety attack. very common with weed, not very common with xanax but sometimes paradoxical reactions can occur. Personally though, I would chalk that experience up to the weed. This hasnt ever happened to you when youve taken xanax without weed, right?

Yes, a few months ago I would take .5mg and be absolutely fine. I think I even smoked some cannabis while I was on .5mg. This time was hardly anything like the last time, however. Just felt like I was going to die, felt really cold and had a hard time staying awake.

You sure you took Xanax? Doesn't sound like you get them legit. They are lots of fakes out there.

you could have also possibly smoked something else mixed with your weed or might have smoked spice which can cause all sorts of adverse reactions

You sure you took Xanax? Doesn't sound like you get them legit. They are lots of fakes out there.

Yeah I'm not sure. It had all the tell-tale signs a real bar would have. 4 Lines, one through the 'N'.

I did notice it was very difficult to break apart though. Could this be a sign of a fake?

It was the weed (possibly laced) that overwhelmed the xanax high and you had a panic attack. You can't actually get a panic attack while on a benzo alone.

It could possibly be caused by a drop in blood pressure - both benzos and weed can cause this, especially when combines. Blurred vision and heavy heartbeat are side effects of a drop in your blood pressure, as is anxiety, chills and shakiness. This is especially true if you are not used to benzos and weed combines.

When you stood up did you feel like you were close to passing out or needed to sit down?

I guess it's better than me taking 3 2mg bars my first time and not remembering anything besides falling asleep on my friend

It was the weed (possibly laced) that overwhelmed the xanax high and you had a panic attack. You can't actually get a panic attack while on a benzo alone.
Sure you can, I've had panic attacks while already on etizolam or alprazolam. It sucks and it's not common, but it is possible.

take a look at (is this allowed?) wikipedia org/wiki/Alprazolam#Adverse_effect

Had you eaten recently? Cannabis can lower your blood sugar while raising blood pressure, and I can imagine Xanax wouldn't help (since it would have been passing it's peak already).

Could have been a drop in blood pressure. I can't take benzos because they make me rage and I don't like the feeling I get of not being able to stay warm on them...err, chills.

Very common side effect.

There are fake bars floating around, so be careful.

weird, because when i was in highschool, i partook in the marijuana every day, in fact, every hour for about a year. and when i started taking xanax, the weed started giving me anxiety, vision problems (distorted faces in people, walls breathing and closing in ect) and its never gone away. now if i take enough of any benzo, (.75mg xanax around there seens to stop it all without side effects) but my question is, did you experience anything similar? and can you still smoke alone without problems? i think they can have a reaction and do it enough times it could become something permanent.