• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Bacteriostatic water - Render isotonic before use????

Benzopiates

Bluelighter
Hey I bough soime bacteriostatic water to be 1 step furthur in prevention of harm issue related to health... for injecting hydromorpohone

but on the bacteriostatic water (15mg/1ml) of isopropylene alcohol) it's written RENDER ISOTONIC BEFORE USE...

what exactly does that mean??

-tonic (hypertonic, isotonic or hypotonic) refers to the osmotic pressure, or concentration of ions in the water. Isotonic means it has the same concentration as blood. Hypotonic means less concentrated, and when injected in enough volume will cause water to rush into blood cells, causing them to burst (haemolysis). Hypertonic means more concentrated, causing water to leave cells. Injecting water (which is hypotonic) can cause haemolysis, so saline is always used in hospitals.

For the volume of water you will be using this is not something you need to worry about (thankfully) :)

It means (in addition to what effie said) that technically the bacteriostatic water should be mixed into solution before injecting, ie, don't just shoot plain old bacteriostatic water.
I am under the impression that making a solution will take care of this.

It means (in addition to what effie said) that technically the bacteriostatic water should be mixed into solution before injecting, ie, don't just shoot plain old bacteriostatic water.
I am under the impression that making a solution will take care of this.

Yeah, correct, sorry I didn't explain that very well :)

The water alone is hypotonic. A solution will hopefully make it closer to isotonic, but it depends of course how much solute you mix with how much water. It is likely to end up a little hypo- or hypertonic in reality. With small volumes however you would still be safe injecting plain water - it only becomes a problem with higher volumes. The amount needed for an IV injection (not in a hospital setting) is minimal. In hospital IV injections often use >5mls water where as most IV users usually use 1ml or less.

How many moderators does it take...?

Because the hydromorphone is a salt, it will be about the same as making a crude saline solution in terms of getting the water right. If you really are ocd, you can look up what is in, say, Dilaudid HP as far as mg/ mL and what isotonic buffers they used, to get a USP grade solution, but this is more work than 99% of drug users will do.

Are you using micron filters?

^ Haha :D Good service you get in here..

I was trying to find a source for what volume of hypotonic solution you can inject without any problems, but I can't locate the one I am after. Up to 5mls is definitely not a problem, the main issue comes with infusions, but as you are mixing it with hydromorphone it doesn't really matter anyway. Some people do inject water though to satisfy their needle fetish if they are quitting or have run out of opioids..