• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos baclofen withdrawal please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm529

Greenlighter
So basically I did something very stupid. I started abusing baclofen on dec 27th, started by taking about 100 miligrams that day. It felt amazing.

I have severe depression and anxiety disorders one of them is paruresis which is the inability to urinate in the presence of others or if people are close the the bathroom. Baclofen seemed to help all of this and for about a week I was taking it every day in varying doses at most in the 200mg range although I'm not sure.

I stopped taking it on Jan 2nd because I ran out and had a bit of anxiety but didn't really know why. I found a few baclofen on jan 5th and took 60mg along with a little bit of tramadol and felt fine. then on the 7th i came across a bunch more and started another 4 day binge, one day losing count how many I took.

On the 11th I said enough and started reading about the withdrawal syndrome and a whole bunch of horror stories on forums, my anxiety got worse and worse the more I read about baclofen. I was able to keep it under control by playing games with my friends online and talking with them, but at night when everyone was asleep and I was alone I would get waves and waves of near panic attacks and an underlying constant anxiety. I made it about 4 days until sleeping only a few hours a day and constant anxiety wore me down. I literally thought I was going to die or have a seizure, my muscles were tense in the neck and arms and the anxiety made it feel much worse. I though I would have to confess to my family about being an addict and go to the ER. So yesterday I took about 200mg to get high, stop the anxiety and was able to sleep all evening and night. So here I am with only 30 10mg tablets left, but I'm still afraid I'm going to die. I haven't taken any today but I want to start tapering. Today i'm going to the metal health office to try to get on medicaid for my already serious anxiety/depression and paruresis and go to the doctor for help.

To complicate things at the beginning of last month I ended up in the ER after a week long drinking binge, I thought I was going to die and had my first full blown panic. Not even a day in the ER and I now have almost 7,000$ in medical bills with no way to pay. So suffice it to say I don't want to go back to the ER, I'm completely TERRIFIED because the last time I was there I couldn't urinate and they had to put a catheter in me. I just want to get through this somehow, but I'm really afraid I'm going to die.

To sum things up I basically went on a baclofen binge off and on for about 2 weeks and I need advice on how to taper as fast as possible and maybe some solace that I'm not going to die from this.

Today i'm going to the metal health office to try to get on medicaid for my already serious anxiety/depression and paruresis and go to the doctor for help.

That's your best bet.

To sum things up I basically went on a baclofen binge off and on for about 2 weeks and I need advice on how to taper as fast as possible and maybe some solace that I'm not going to die from this.

Ive never heard of anyone dying from coming off of baclofen. Sounds like your anxiety is getting the best of you atm, you are mind-fking yourself, psyching yourself out. Ive had this happen and it's terrible but Id say rarely fatal on its own. You need to see a doctor tho, there are more issues here than Baclofen.

just lower your dose every few days. It usually takes a month before your body is dependent so you can probably quit cold turkey and use it when your anxiety gets out of control and not binge on it. You won't die from a psychological addiction to it, you'll just get rebound symptoms and end up back where you were before. I'd say you need to see a psychologist and figure out why you are feeling the way you are normally.

Baclofen is a GABA-B agonist and has withdrawal symptoms similar to those of alcohol or GHB/GBL.

Two options you have is to taper with what you have or seek medical attention and ask to be tapered under medical supervision. If the doctors are compassionate they might let you taper at home but that's probably unlikely since your an addict.

If your completely refused a baclofen taper ask to be treated with pregabalin or gabapentin as they're the only drugs capable of treating this kind of withdrawal other than a taper.

If those drugs are refused your last resort should be a phenibut taper if its accessible since just like baclofen its a GABA-B agonist.

I'm planning on telling the doc I started using it to control my alcoholism because I had no medical insurance and no recourse. And I didn't know what i was getting myself into which I really didnt... I took 80mg an hour ago because of the wd's and im going to keep lowering it every day.

Last edited:
Dude, you don't wanna mess with gabaergics at this insane dosage... Luckily it was only for a couple days. Take care and taper down.

I'm planning on telling the doc I started using it to control my alcoholism because I had no medical insurance and no recourse. And I didn't know what i was getting myself into which I really didnt... I took 80mg an hour ago because of the wd's and im going to keep lowering it every day.

Well that's one way to go about it since alcohol addiction is more socially acceptable. If you have a good doctor though, I wouldn't lie. The most important thing you do no matter what you decide is to ask to be tapered or switched to pregabalin. If the doctor decides to put you on benzodiazepine, refuse. Benzodiazepines do not work on the same receptors as baclofen.

Baclofen is a GABA-B agonist and benzodiazepines are GABA-A agonists which means its very unlikely that they'll be of any benefit to you during withdrawals.

That's not true. Benzodiazepines should relieve at least some withdrawal symptoms. Yet beware of switching one addiction for another.

So maybe a combination of pregablin and an anxiolytic would help me get off of these, it shouldn't take more than a week for the withdrawls should it?. The anxiety is what's really killing me, panic attacks and fears of dying along with mild muscle cramps. that was a little over 4 days wding until I gave in and took more... AS for now im gonna continue tapering, i took 100 mg today down from about 190 yesterday and feel fine, tomorrow im gonna try to go down to 60

Last edited:
So maybe a combination of pregablin and an anxiolytic would help me get off of these, it shouldn't take more than a week for the withdrawls should it?. The anxiety is what's really killing me, panic attacks and fears of dying along with mild muscle cramps. that was a little over 4 days wding until I gave in and took more... AS for now im gonna continue tapering, i took 100 mg today down from about 190 yesterday and feel fine, tomorrow im gonna try to go down to 60

I accidentally quoted the wrong post. There is some good and bad information.
You can die from baclofen withdrawal.
Benzos won't help. You need gaba b agonist only and benzos are gaba a. Apples and oranges.
You need a serious taper with a serious physician. Don't handle this matter on your own.
Best wishes,
Mygreenbic

Status
Not open for further replies.