Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Backwards Queensland....Is it just me?

kryalkastleE

Bluelighter
okay, well i've just been in queensland for the last 10 days *yes yes lucky me* and i am usually a resident of good ol' melbourne :) when i was in queensland i noticed all these things that were well....weird i spose. it just suprised me that i found stuff that was totally backwards in the same country as me, that people did things totally differently and i was in the same culture...so to speak....some of the things were

*When a bartender got you a drink they asked everyone standing at the bar what they wanted (like 15 ppl) and then made all the drinks at the same time, which i found silly because then you have the task of remembering what everyone wanted and everyone has to wait the same amount of time, even if you got there 5 minutes before the guy next to you, it takes like 10 mins to get a bloody drink! and this was in ALL the bars/clubs not just one of them......

*The pedestrian buttons, like the ones you push to cross the road arent right beside where you stand to wait to cross, they are like 2 metres back on the footpath...i just thought that was weird...

*Public transport, had like 45 different zones, and you have to pay like $3 every time u get on a bus, you cant get like a 'daily' ticket.....or so the driver told us....hmmmmm

i cant think of any more of the top of my head atm, there were heaps tho :) and i was just wondering does anyone else have stories like these, where something was totally backwards in another state?

yes... we go to places like Melbourne where you have to pull left to turn right, or Perth where they have people selling the papers on street corners the night before you go out, and the town is completely shut but you can still buy robo at the 24 hour chemist.

Where on earth did you go? I have never been to a pub or club where the bartenders asked everyone there before pouring.

Travelling is all about differences - I wouldn't call any place "backward", each state, city and town is full of its own idiosyncrasies – that’s what makes visiting them so fun. I’d sure hate to visit somewhere and have it exactly the same as at home.

i didnt mean backwards as a bad thing...i just meant different i spose..... but i thought of another thing

*Most of the supermarkets shut at like 7pm (coles and safeway)...which i thought was strange cos even my local supermarket which is out in the sticks shuts at midnight.....

maybe its not queensland maybe its just surfers paradise...hmmmmm

(oh btw kitty it was most the clubs and bars in surfers....)

kryalkastleE said:
okay, well i've just been in queensland for the last 10 days *yes yes lucky me* and i am usually a resident of good ol' melbourne :) when i was in queensland i noticed all these things that were well....weird i spose. it just suprised me that i found stuff that was totally backwards in the same country as me, that people did things totally differently and i was in the same culture...so to speak....some of the things were

*When a bartender got you a drink they asked everyone standing at the bar what they wanted (like 15 ppl) and then made all the drinks at the same time, which i found silly because then you have the task of remembering what everyone wanted and everyone has to wait the same amount of time, even if you got there 5 minutes before the guy next to you, it takes like 10 mins to get a bloody drink! and this was in ALL the bars/clubs not just one of them......

*The pedestrian buttons, like the ones you push to cross the road arent right beside where you stand to wait to cross, they are like 2 metres back on the footpath...i just thought that was weird...

*Public transport, had like 45 different zones, and you have to pay like $3 every time u get on a bus, you cant get like a 'daily' ticket.....or so the driver told us....hmmmmm

i cant think of any more of the top of my head atm, there were heaps tho :) and i was just wondering does anyone else have stories like these, where something was totally backwards in another state?

You can get a one-day bus pass up here, it covers ferries and buses.

Never, in 10 years of clubbing and pubbing, have I experienced the bartender making drinks at the same time. Doesn't happen anywhere I've been, and I've been to a lot of places. Thats just bizarre.

The pedestrian thing - maybe thats only in Surfers, not really sure why that would be, but again, not something I've experienced. I don't think this is necessarily backward, just different.

Now the opening hours issue - that I agree with. Qld has always been backward with opening hours, but I was always of the opinion that Surfers had better, longer opening hours anyway, they were one of the first places in Qld to have 7 day trading. We are actually much better than we were - 15 or so years ago, the shops used to close at 12 on Saturday and re-open on Monday. 24 hour and 7 day trading is pretty common place these days, although perhaps not as much as Melbourne or Sydney.

You whinge about stuff not being open in Qld?
Come over here to frikin Perth! I'm certain that regulation on trading hours over keeps shops shut more hours a week than they are open!

umm, in canberra the fire engines are yellow. when i saw that i honestly thought i was in bizarro world and actually had to confirm wether or not they were actual fire trucks :\

kryalkastleE said:
*When a bartender got you a drink they asked everyone standing at the bar what they wanted (like 15 ppl) and then made all the drinks at the same time...

Bobby McGee's in melbourne do that, not that i have ever been. :(

I find it a lot quicker. The bartender asks everyone what they want, and starts making it while another get the money off everyone.

Queues are only bad if you are waiting to be served, i don't mind waiting a little while AFTER being served.

I went to Germany once, and it was like they spoke a totally different language. How backwards is that!

kryalkastleE said:

My boss does this all the time. It really annoys me. She will take a dozen orders from people and they crack the shits at ME when they dont have their beers in 2 seconds. I'll take 2 or 3 at a time, but you can pour 2 or 3 at a time. Not the whole fucking bar.

It's the sun...It fries their brains...sizzle sizzle...

It's actually a well-known fact (and sorry to do this to you QLD) that the population of QLD on average is the second lowest in Australia, being beaten in stupidity only by the N.T.

^^^^^
I think you probably meant to put the word "IQ" or "intelligence" in there somewhere?

Oh the irony. Sweet, sweet irony.

^^^
No my brain just works too fast for my fingers...

And it's not stupid missing out on a word, just ditsy, or forgetful. So irony is being used in the wrong context.

I found it bizarre when I went to adelaide that all the taxis were white instead of yellow!
but each to their own I guess:)

well i was at surfers earlier this year but didnt experience the bar thing. one thing i did find odd which isnt that common in melbourne is that most taxi drivers there speak english :D

one thing i did notice was that in most clubs the ppl are pushy i.e. they will full on throw u against the wall if u r in thier way while they are walking around the place, and i mean the girls too

Catax said:
I found it bizarre when I went to adelaide that all the taxis were white instead of yellow!

Are all the cabs yellow in your home town? we've got brisbane cabs, yellow cabs, black & white cabs...

:)

Catax said:

It was Jeff Kennet that made all our taxi's yellow in Melbourne, before that alot where white among other colours.

i'm a fan of queensland...it was melbourne i found *different*(in a good way) in comparison to NSW ;)

sydney's got lots of different cab colours.

but sydney sucks anyway
so hostile compared to good ol laid back melbourne